home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. drp146

Anyone telling a woman that this should not be her choice to make and hers alone is wrong on this issue and I don't need the flavor of the month teenybopper to tell me what is right. Don't need the government to tell me either. Those who want to abolish a woman's right to choose are trying to make their religious beliefs into law, similar to another group in the world: The Taliban. Let women decide for themselves what is right for them because they know their situation better than anyone else.

February 18, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
  2. Zee

Are we sinking to the level where we're asking a teenager what he thinks about abortion and actually caring enough to be angry?

February 18, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
  3. Geodog

Why does CNN have this stupid idiot on again? He is a nobody pop singer with as much class and brains as Levi Johnson running for mayor in Alaska. After he falls from pop idol status (teen girls in training bras will quickly find someone else cuter and sings like a little girl), he will be just like Johnson flipping burgers at Hardees and getting drunk beating the wife and kids.

February 18, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
  4. VTWoodchuck

Don't really care for his music but ...hello people... you just heard a young persons thoughtful comments on a subject that adults can't come to agreement on. As a parent, we all hope our children will be able to state what they believe in and then stand by it. And please don't anyone tell me that his parents brain washed him because guess what that is what parents do. GOOD parents teach their values to their children, good or bad and whether you agree or not.

February 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
  5. ruby1

Who really cares what that snot nose punk thinks about abortion?

February 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • Anthony

You do, that is why you clicked on the link and decided to post a comment.

February 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • 2 ears 1 mouth

You do, you responded.

February 18, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  6. Greg

I think it's important to remember we're talking about a 16 year old's opinion... Abortion is a complex issue and I doubt this kid has the maturity and/or life experence to really have an informed opinion about it. Add in the fact that he's a billionare (and probably lives a somewhat sheltered life, at least when it comes to politics) so I highly doubt he spends much time thinking about heavy issues like this. And honestly, he should't be, nor should any teenager really. I think it's absurd and stupid for the Rolling Stone to ask such a question.

February 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
  7. Paul Willson

What does he know about abortion or anythging else for that matter ? He should shut up and sing and keep his religous views out the public square . his company should fire him. No chances or options. He is a now well off spoiled brat.

February 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
    • Greg

I agree he should stick to singing and leave politics to people that know better, but he didn't bring up abortion, the magazine did. If anyone should get fired, it's the interviewer who thought asking a 16 year old pop star about his views on abortion was a good idea.

February 18, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • Anthony

You are the one throwing a tantrum, Paul.

February 18, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
  8. Rick

Your body your choice.

February 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
  9. Kevin

Personally, I'm pro-choice because the Bible says that the parents have the right to kill the child if he/she displeases them -up to the age of 12. (Deuteronomy 21:18-21, Psalm 137:9)

February 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
    • CaptainSanity

That is awesome. I can't wait to tell my kids they're not out of the woods yet.

February 18, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
  10. Amber

I am very proud that he decided to share his opinion. More teenagers need to start thinking like adults and stop being told what to think. His comment on that if they were truly his fans would agree with him, however is offensive. We should encourage people to think for themselves, especially teenagers. The world is built by what the young do. It's a better place if we can learn to share different opinions and learn from each other, not fight like toddlers. To everyone putting someone else down grow up. That's what's wrong with the world.

February 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
  11. Guilles

You know... Up until now I though this kid was just a nuance, a puppet of the media, I have to say that at least he has got the cojones to talk about such a sensitive social issue. I am not a Christian I do not even believe in god, but I do think abortion is the killing on a human being. And i applaud this kid, not for agreeing with me point but for expressing his views.

February 18, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
  12. Lisa

The headline reads "Backlash.." where's the backlash? CNN doesn't know how to write an article.

February 18, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • Nonimus

They are hoping to create a backlash.

February 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
  13. Michelle

Why do we care what a kid says that may still be a virgin. I'm so sick of people putting everything else in front on women. Why should the woman suffer with some rapists kid. Maybe we should send them all to Bieber to adopt.

February 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
  14. B-Dog

Until there is a heartbeat, it's nothing, it's ground up hamburger meat.

February 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • Lisa

Your Mother should have aborted her ground meat.

February 18, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • EAR

A few cells is not a human being

February 18, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • 2 ears 1 mouth

Correction- human sperm and a human egg can ONLY produce a human,not hamburger. A fetus is a human in the making.

February 18, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • JV

There's a embryonic pulse at 4 weeks...

February 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • scott

This is not true. Scientificly life begins at conception. When has a human embryo ever turned into anything else? Where have u been? Under a rock? The heart starts beating at 18 days

February 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
  15. lobbyistgrl

Why would you ask a 16 year old male about abortion? Aren't tweens more interested in what flavor pop tart he eats?

February 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • grnmstg

That's funny you said that – you should check and see how many abortions are had by 16-year-olds and younger . . . .

February 18, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • WordPlaya

Don't you mean "she"?

February 18, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
  16. Carol

Bet he changes his tune so fast his head spins the first time he knocks up some fan-bimbo!

February 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • CaptainSanity

But God will forgive him, so it's OK.

February 18, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
  17. JS

Well, here's the thing...there are all sorts of opinions and things I'd like to say at work, but I don't. When you're a celebrity and in the public eye, you are ALWAYS at work like it or not. If Biebs chooses to expound upon his religious beliefs in a public forum, that's certainly his choice but he should be prepared to take both the positive and the negative consequences. Pop stars who are extra preachy about stuff like that usually lower the glass ceiling down upon their success...but it's his choice if he wants to alienate some of his fans.

February 18, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • xapns5oh

Yeah, but pro abortion views are greeted with standing ovations

February 18, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
  18. FLRedneck

Why is it all of a sudden everyone is asking this kid for his opnion. Just because he sang at the award show does not make him a scholar. These types of questions should wait until his testicles drop!

February 18, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • 19strings

my sentiments exactly!

February 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
  19. Robin Bray

Say anything for attention when you have no talent.

February 18, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • dave

I am 30 year old man, don't care for Justic Beiber..but reallly..thats what you had to add to the cnn article , that he has no talen...obv he has talent you idiot...ur an idiot or had no talent...the kids like him for some reason, i imagine talent is one of them

great contributioon

February 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • Jake

Same goes for you buddy.

February 18, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • Anthony

Is that why you are posting, Robin?

February 18, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • Kate

Dave, at least Robin's contribution was gramatically correct, as well as acurate. Talen? You can't double-check and take the extra second to type the last T? Nice contribution. Also, if it cannot live outside its mother, it is not alive. For example, a woma is 3 mos pregnant and she dies in a car crash. The baby dies too because it could not possibly even attempt to survive outside its mother's womb. Therefore there is no reason to try to save it, because it would be a waste of time and money, and as an extention, it is not alive. If it is stupid to attempt to save it, it is not alive in the same respect that you or I are alive. Just saying. So go ahead girls and grab those metal coat hangers hahaha. 🙂

February 18, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
    • Pot:Kettle

Kate,

"at least Robin's contribution was gramatically correct, as well as acurate. Talen? You can't double-check and take the extra second to type the last T?"

Ahem...

"a woma is 3 mos pregnant", and "as an extention," and "gramatically correct, as well as acurate."

Be careful there. Just saying... 😉

February 18, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
  20. Adam

Good for Justin! I hope he holds on to his beliefs.

February 18, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • MarkinFL

I am 100% certain he will never get an abortion.

February 18, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • EAR

His beliefs are wrong, Christianity is wrong

February 18, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • Nero

He better hold on really tight or common sense may take over!!!

February 18, 2011 at 4:48 pm |