home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. V

If you answer two, but believe abortion is not murder, how do you get through life being so hypocritical? For it to be two murders, there had to be two people.... If you answer one, you obviously don't know what pregnancy is...

February 18, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • Observer

By the same reasoning, ALL miscarriages should be investigated as possible homicides and all birth defects should be analyzed to see if the mother is guilty of child abuse during the pregnancy.

February 18, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
    • Maybe

Observer,

"ALL miscarriages should be investigated as possible homicides and all birth defects should be analyzed..."

Yes. And to determine whether the "God" whose "Will" they are alleged to be is an abusive, homicidal maniac.

February 18, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • V

Miscarriages normally are investigated for what caused it to make sure the mother is healthy, and most natural miscarriages are mourned. As for the birth defects, again, for everyone's safety, to some extent, they are examined. Though in reality, not YOUR reality, that's not the same reasoning. Willful murder and abortion are choices, miscarriages and birth defects are not, unless there was neglect, in which case they should be prosecuted.

February 18, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • Calvinist Theodore

"Scenario: A felon kills a woman who is pregnant, whether it be 2 weeks or 24 weeks. Did he kill one or two people??"

He killed one citizen and two human beings, how do you define PEOPLE?

"If you answer two, but believe abortion is not murder, how do you get through life being so hypocritical?"

Your question does not make sense. Not all homicide is murder. One can recognize abortion as a form of homicide, without confusing it with murder.

February 19, 2011 at 10:42 am |
  2. Dylan

You have GOT to be kidding me. HE IS 14 YEARS OLD. WHO GIVES A FLYING F WHAT HE THINKS?

February 18, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
  3. BR

Just like an uninformed teenager to take a stand on something which they, themselves, will never...ever have to face.

February 18, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
  4. Grace Colorado

I don't think there is anything wrong with Justin Bieber having an opinion on abortion. He has a voice just like the rest of us, and just because he is young, doesn't mean he doesn't understand important issues in our society today.

February 18, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
  5. Fiona

What a stupid little boy he is. No one "believes" in abortion. You either support the rights of women to govern their own bodies, or you don't. Why anyone pays attention to the words of this uninformed child is beyond me.

February 18, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
  6. pro-life

you're all a bunch of self absorbed idiots.

February 18, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
  7. Tiffany

I remember when I was his age and everything was so black and white. He is just very naive and immature and has a lot to learn. Well see how he feels about abortion when he knocks up a few girls and doesn't want to pay the child support.

February 18, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • The Truth

Oh the ignorance of your comment. Remember history class, when we didn't treat black people as humans and then we found out we were wrong. I can see a repeat right now and the ironic thing is that we have a black president that is now saying what is and isn't human.

Everything is black and white. Any Gray area is black...its not hard to come up with logical answers to logical questions. A fetus is a living being seperate of the mom but connected.

February 18, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
  8. kmo303

bieber's mom should have done us all a favor and aborted him

February 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  9. Moneymaker22

I find it refreshing that someone in showbiz, even more so a teenager, respects life! It is a shame that teenagers and young people emulate what they see on tv, cable, and irresponsible adults/parents. People need to stop acting like rutting dogs with no thought for the consequences. There is NO self control any more because there are too many ways to get rid of a resulting pregnancy!!! Jerry Springer, Maury, and many other shows, glamorize and make fun of this behavior with NO thoughts of how this impacts our society. Even the "awards" shows have many questionable actions in their entertainment with no regard for the youthful eyes watching. With abortion leagalized, and the pill to abort so easily to obtain, it's no wonder these kids and youth don't stop and think about their actions. Stop the massacre!!!!!!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
    • Grace Colorado

You have really awesome points. Great comment.

February 18, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
  10. veronicalocatelli

That's the nice things about opinions, everyone can have one, you don't have to agree with them. Let the kid think what he wants with the knowledge and experiences he has had. He, like a lot of us hate to admit, will change his opinion as he ages and has more experiences.

February 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  11. GonzoG

Justin seems like a good kid.(I just wish I weren't seeing him EVERY-FRIKIN-WHERE!) He is allowed to state his opinion and it is perfectly valid.

HOWEVER, just like everyone else's, his opinion is not and should not be POLICY. You are allowed to voice your opinion–you cannot enforce it upon others.

February 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  12. Jim

Let Canada care about his views.

February 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  13. Robert

Are we really attempting to say that this guy can't state his opinion? Really?

February 18, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
  14. Dr. B. Good...

"If Men Could Get Pregnant, Abortion Would be a Sacrament."

February 18, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
  15. mark

It's like asking Miley Cyrus what she thinks about the current military budget. WHO CARES.

February 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
  16. numbnut

The reporters need to quite asking questions like this.

February 18, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
  17. Misty McGregor

I think it is wrong to ask a 16 year old boy what he thinks, of a subject that most adults still argue about. Justin was merely stating what he thinks is morally right, and not 'legally' right. This is so subjective and it was not fair of a magazine like Rolling Stones to even ask him this question!!

February 18, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • Howard

Hooray. At least one intelligent response to this article and the controversy over it.

February 18, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • Melly

Misty
      That is exactly what I thought. He is a CHILD and the questions asked should be focused on his music or his movie. I am by no means a fan of his but it is obvious that those questions were meant to start controversy. I think his PR rep should be ashamed of himself for allowing such a question posed to a child.
      Let's face it, the person who asked the question does not care about anything other than embarrasing this kid and starting trouble for him! What a bully!!

February 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
  18. MIke

Funny, you can kill a baby in the womb and it's ok, but if you kill it one second after it's born it's called murder.

February 18, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • Grace Colorado

I definitely agree with you.

February 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • Reason & Logic

That's because it's impossible to have a live baby in a womb, it's called a fetus for a reason.

February 18, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
    • Howard

It's not funny at all, and it's by no means clear when it becomes "a baby" in the womb. Before you say it's at the point of conception, consider that many women suffer unintended and undesired spontaneous abortions where their body decides to terminate the pregnancy all by itself. No, if God really considers it to be "a baby" from the moment of conception, then why would he allow so many women to become emotionally invested in their fetus, only to "kill" it for them?

February 18, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • Reason & Logic

... and if you drive at the speed limit you're fine and if you drive 1 mile over you're speeding. What's your point?

February 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
  19. jps

Sometimes, when I have a life-altering decision to make, I forget to ask myself, "What would Justin Beiber do?"

February 18, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • TEDDY

Too Funny awesome.

February 18, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • WMesser58

@JPS Now that's what I'm talkin bout WWJBD I'm amazed how people actually consider any entertainer nothing more than any other person. Except experts who have run this country in to the ground.

I'd only say follow OZZY he may be wrong but, he's way more entertaining.

February 18, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
  20. Steve-O

My grand daughter (10 y.o.) had one of this goofballs t-shirts on the other day...last year it was Hannah Montana...at least I know we won't have to be bothered by this twit for too much longer!

February 18, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • ADW

I'm with ya. My step daughter is obsessed with this fruit cake.

February 18, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
    • Steve-Old

Most grandparents I know don't even know how to turn on a computer, let alone post something...good going Steve-O

February 18, 2011 at 12:43 pm |