home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. TEDDY

Ummm, I dont agree with Justin, Im not a churchy kinda guy, but hey he is a kid, just because some "journalist" asked him grown up questions doesnt mean he knows what he is talking about, doesnt mean he does not either.
    Leave him alone let your little girls and boys buy his lunch boxes,and CD's and worry about real dangerous things like Sara palin and Bachmann getting control of the button as they are certified crazy. and stupid!

February 18, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  2. bill williams

a pity his grandmother didn't have one...

February 18, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • Barry

LOL, darn it BIll I was taking a drink of soda while I was reading this... Well played sir

February 18, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  3. Barry

That's nice Justin... on another note, in Canada, milk comes in bags.

February 18, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  4. Thatguy371

And in a year when this twit is yesterday's news... remind me how much it matters what he says?

February 18, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  5. Alayna

GOOD for him! I like what he says 😉

February 18, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  6. Sam

And so what? I don't believe in abortion either. What's the big deal? Why would this deter anyone who's a fan of him?

PS. I hate the View.

February 18, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  7. jps

Yes, he has a right to express his opinion, and so does everyone else. Here's mine: He's an untalented little girly-girl. And his opinions are totally irrelevant.

February 18, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
  8. Jon

Since when did the abortion views of a teenager translate into newsworthy material? The kid isn't even old enough to drink. WHO CARES WHAT HIS THOUGHTS ON ABORTION ARE? I'd sooner ask my 13 year old cousin about her views on abortion. At least she's attended school regularly during her formative years.

February 18, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • Anthony

You care, Jon. For what other reason did you decide to click on the link and decide to post a comment?

February 18, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
  9. bjk

When this kid can get pregnant, I'll take his opinion seriously! Why are so many men outspoken about being against abortion yet this country has so many children living without a father in their lives?

February 18, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
  10. Cindy

Obviously he needs to be managed and coached not to answer such questions. First of all, reporters will ask you anything and exploit your answers....he should have stated "no Comment" to the questions and commented only to "I am a Christain".
    I dont believe he was judging anyone....he is just young and made his statements directly and honestly not knowing the impact. Bieber was the one exploited here. He will learn from this.

February 18, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
  11. qwerty

good for bieber – let him believe what he wants to believe – would it be just as controversial if he 'came out' or was pro choice – would the media applaud him then....there are worse role models for kids these days....

February 18, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
  12. Andy

I never liked this record label pawn or his music, and now i have an even better reason.

– A

February 18, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
  13. Barry

I think Justin Bieber should shut up before I steal his lunch money...

February 18, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
  14. Hoorah

Justin Bieber's stock just went way up in my book!! I used to be pro choice until I actually had kids and realized it's NOT my body, it's someone else's body inside mine.

February 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
  15. Jeff Carlson

He was asked his opinion and then gets trashed for giving said opinion in a very mature nuanced way. Lame. Grow up people. If you cant handle someone disagreeing with you you are either simple minded or simply not very secure in your own ideology.

February 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • Over opinions

Right on....

And, are the people that oppose his statements aware that he is right? It is a life?!

February 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • Derrick

Because it's so black and white. We are either simple minded or not comfortable with our ideology. Look at you trashing these people who disagree with him and you. What does that make you? They are disagreeing, because they don't feel he is being genuine and neither do I. One of my friends in high school was spouting off the same opinions as Bieber and what happened when he got his girlfriend in "trouble?" I don't even have to tell you because you know what he did. It didn't stop there either. You think after the one scare it would wise up this good little Christian boy, it didn't and it happened two more times. I'm not saying that Bieber has or is going to go down this road, but you can't judge people when you don't know all the details of their personal life and what you are doing to these people who disagreed is exactly why you called them lame and simple minded in the first place. We all have our reasons.

February 18, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
  16. donna

haha. " It's about what is between the two people in question (or isn't), not a dichotomized one-size-fits-all view of what it means to have baby."
    So when is the appropriate time to discuss with your partner what to do with a potential pregnancy? Before or after you have relations?

February 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
  17. g

jeez another hypocrite that uses religion to make their image more appealing to the masses. Most don't understand abortion as is, and to ask a 16 year old their thoughts and the reaction after that is just plain ridiculous.

February 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • opinion

Thats sad you think he's using religion to sell music. In almost every case having Christian views will help NOT to sell things, music included. As a Christian myself, I support his views on abortion. But what I dont support is asking a 16 yr old their opinions on these types of things.

February 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
  18. EddyL

Who cares with this pinhead thinks? He's as dumb as Palin.

February 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • Anthony

You obviously do, which is why you clicked on the link and decided to post your thought provoking response.

February 18, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • Anon

Wow, that's pretty dumb.

February 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • sherri

Amen!

February 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
  19. Pats

Who really cares what this little uneducated guy has to say on life. He needs to go to school and get an education. Because you are popular amongst some boneheads doesn't make you an authority on anything. Get an education your careers is so yesterday..... trust me ... nothing beats an education not even money buddy ... Now off you go to school and forget this music crap. Keep your mouth shut.....

February 18, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
  20. Anonymous

What does this kid know about abortion? Obviously he's never been in a position where A) the abortion had to be done because the baby was going to die anyway and B) if it wasn't done, the mother could have died to. Ever heard of ectopic pregnancy you little gnat? Stay out of women's topics and stick to your singing.

February 18, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • Anthony

Um, I think he actually states that he has never been in that position, so he doesnt really know. Seems to answer your first rant.

February 18, 2011 at 12:42 pm |