home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Jo

Whatever happened to freedom of speech? It's great that a 16 year old has the guts to voice his opinion no matter what the subject, just as we all have the right to voice ours on this blog or anywhere else. That's because we are privileged to live in the United States of America!

February 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
  2. Sean

You know, I'm one to quickly agree that I hate Bieber and the kid is a pest. Still, I have to say I respect him for sticking to what he believes. I completely agree with him too, but that's my opinion, and one which I will not force on other people. Still, I dont' think he deserves backlash for stating how he feels. As long as he's not doing so while trying to picket a Planned Parenthood.

February 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
  3. gfgfdgfdgf

there is no way he should be allowed to have his own views! down with diversity!

February 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
  4. David Johnson

If abortion is illegal, women will seek back alley remedies. We, as a society, must take away as many of the reasons women seek abortions as possible.

We need to make adoption easier and make it financially possible for a woman to keep and care for her baby.

Obama has a program to do this. More needs to be done, but with the Republicans controlling the House, funds won't be forthcoming.

Most of all, we need to make birth control available free of charge, to all women. We need to educate the women on these birth control methods. Remember, the best way to prevent an abortion, is to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

Psalm 127:3 – Children are a gift of the LORD

Hmmm... Well, the bible says it, so I believe it. Children are god's gift!

Notice how god doesn't check to see if a woman is capable of raising a child, before he gives a baby to them?

Women in poor countries bear children, only to have them die, because Mom has no food.

Women addicted to drugs are given babies, when they are totally incapable of taking care of themselves, much less a child.

Girls are blessed with a baby they don't want. Why are babies given to women who don't want them?

If god would be more careful with giving out gifts/children, abortion wouldn't be needed.

And remember, there are a lot of women, who god refuses His gift. They would be overjoyed with god's gift. No abortions in their homes!

God works in mysterious ways.

We should start real $ex education in school. Not abstinence only. Real education about the use of birth control.

We will never totally eradicate abortions. Only a god could do that, and he either does not care, or does not exist.

Cheers!

February 18, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • Sean

If women who don't want babies end up with one, maybe they should've thought ahead to prevent that baby from happening instead of opening their legs and receiving a hundred man march.

Ignorance is a two way street.

February 18, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
  5. PaulL

One has to appreciate how a country that fights two wars gets obsessed with a child's opinion on a subject he he knows absolutely nothing about. Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion? How about a backlash over an American teenager who lost his legs in some Afgan hills today? Or a backlash over the country's deficit and how everyone screams about it, but noone wants to pay more taxes? Or the number of homeless veterans? Or the numbers of kids who die of hunger here in US every day? This kid is yet another monkey performing in the circus created by the media to collect coins from the mob.

February 18, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  6. Rich

Good for him for standing his ground on a position that puts him at odds with the mainstream entertaiinment culture.

February 18, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  7. Real Man

Real Woman, how many times have you been pregnant? My wife was pregnant seven times. She lost three of these babies to miscarriages. Both my wife and I cried for the three children we lost to miscarriages before we were able to have our fourth and final child. God loves children and wants us to consider them a blessing!

February 18, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  8. azezel

I think that will go over well in flyover country. In the cities, where the heathens live is another story. It might be for the best that they are encouraged to self destruct with the poison I hear coming from those places.

February 18, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  9. Human216

s

February 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
  10. Dr. B. Good...

I heard that on his new album Justin is going to cover a Monty Python song from the meaning of life, "Every Sperm Is Sacred."

February 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
  11. Angelina

Everyone on here that is all worked up about over what a small boy is saying, obviously has had some personal experiences on abortion and can't handle the truth that you indeed are a killer, you can all discuss this matter further in hell.

February 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
  12. Adelais

“vis ultima electae” – Resurgam

February 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
  13. Barbara

Whether I follow Justins beliefs or not he has the right to them. I also did not hear him call anyone any names or act arrogant. I am a 51 year old female who is not a fan of his performances but I would fight for him to have the right to voice them. It is sad how people cannot give a retort without cussing, threatening and putting down the people who made the statement. This is ignorance.

February 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
  14. shannon g

First of all who cares what this kids thinks on abortion, or his religious beliefs. It's his right to believe what he wants, but it's not his right to inform everyone on them.

February 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
    • Matt

Why not? I'm saying that I agree or disagree with, but Rolling Stone asked him the question and he answered it. He didn't pass judgment on anyone.

February 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • leslie

And it is cnn's right to post what they want...and your right to get over it if you wish. 🙂

February 18, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
  15. Rob

I'm glad my mom didn't kill me as a fetus or I wouldn't be here. Thank you momma!

February 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
  16. kc

He's a little boy with no life experience!! He's in no position to make those decisions. He's going to change so much as a person just with maturity and may or may not change his mind. But being so young, he's basically clueless about such things in life.

February 18, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
  17. Edna

Against abortion? Don't have one!

February 18, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • jwills

Against murder? Don't do it.

February 18, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • Pitino

Don't want to have an abortion? Don't get pregnant. I'm "pro-choice" pre-pregnancy. After that there's someone else involved.

February 18, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
  18. taylor64

Ok really someone,somewhere- so give me the book and verse ? I just did a word search in bible gateway under "abortion" and it isn't in any version, which one are you reading??? Like I said, the word JUDGE comes up 138 times. You are obviously a polite christian... probably a very judgemental one too... and male no doubt.... lol!!!!!!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • jwills

Try looking up the word "murder" next time. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

February 18, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • Jessica

Hum...how about...THOU SHALT NOT KILL?!?!?

February 18, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • dw

the word judge could come up 5000 times it still doesnt make it our job unless were without sin ourselves

February 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  19. dw

if your a christian you know that every human has free will, but you are also suppose to love every human, christian muslim jewish athiest black white yellow prolife prochoice EVERYONE so you should'nt judge those who are "prochoice" just pray for them, dont push them further away from christ, represent what you say you are and take care of what is in your control. murder of a persons character is the same as murder of fetus

February 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • RHHaith, Houston, TX

all of what you write about not judging and praying for abortionists is true, however Christians should not stifle their opinion that abortion is sin because some find it politically incorrect. One can love and pray for and with someone who has chosen to abort their child while still letting them know that they feel what they did was sin. This kid was askedfor his view and he provided it. Shame on those who condemn him for being a person of faith and choosing to express it.

February 18, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  20. Diane

Forget the backlash over asking a teenager deep questions.

Where's the backlash aimed at Rolling Stone for asking him, and subsequently printing, his ignorant teenage responses?

This interview exposed the kid for what he is - a kid. They're sometimes ignorant and biased. It is no surprise. What is a surprise is this magazine actually asking him these questions and then printing them.

If you want to know what Beiber really thinks, try asking him in another 10-15 years when he has grown up a bit.

February 18, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • j

well said!

February 18, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • jwills

I'm sure you wouldn't consider him a mere ignorant teenager if he came out in support of abortion. I think even younger children are more than capable of understanding that killing an innocent person is wrong.

February 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • David

Rolling Stone assuming the ultimate Napoleon complex for print journalism. They know now that they're completely irrelevant and past their heyday (what happened to their quality features in the 70s), so now they have to play "gotcha" journalism like the rest.

Close shop already: and take your tiny severance as a staff writer before they close shop on you. You mean nothing to culture, anywhere.

February 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • Sean

Ignorance is a two way street, just because you don't agree with something doesn't downplay the validity of the statement.

February 18, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
    • chris

Who is Justin Beiber?

February 18, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
    • patmann

He's too embarassed to push Jesus. Might alienate his record sales. God love you..just not as much as He used to.

February 18, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
    • Wendy

It's fair to ask a teenager a 'deep' question like this because teenagers who aren't celebrities have to face this question every single day in this country.

February 18, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
    • Alex

Diane your comment are ignorant, because you don't know anything about how JB forms his opinions yet you proclaim that his opinions are not informed without any inside knowledge of his thought process.

Or perhaps you don't even comprehend the definition of the word ignorant.

February 18, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • JayG

@Diane: That's some "subtle" condescension on your part. Because, of course, adults like you "know better" right? We're more "nuanced" and "complex" about these things. Sure.

I'd rather take the guilelessness of a child than the cynical, hardened self-righteousness of adults who parade around boasting about their open-minded "tolerance" only to become more intolerance, more fundamentalist in their respective views, more foolish than a pre-teen. And that's saying something.

February 18, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • Diane

I never once stated my view on abortion.. it is completely irrelevant to this topic.

This kid is getting condemned for comments he's made while being a kid.

I never said whether I supported him or whether I didn't. I said that it is stupid to ask him these questions and then hold him up to the scrutiny of adults who've had many more years to shape their opinions with their adult brains.

February 18, 2011 at 1:17 pm |