home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Pastor Evans

What's controversial about what he said, this is what he believes and what he said. The only controversy is with all the sick little hurting cry-babies here in America.

February 18, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  2. Frank

who cares! hes 16! i dont care what he thinks. in fact, its their own business if they want to abort or not.

February 18, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  3. Pastor Evans

People can't freely say anything now without somebody losing it or getting totally upset? Grow up and stop acting like children people!!!

February 18, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  4. Linton Dawson

talentless hack

February 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  5. Pastor Evans

Anything that is right or sounds right in today's world gets attacked by ignorant and perverted people!!! What's good about murder? Nothing, because consider the fact that that baby could have been YOU!!! There are a lot of sick and lost people out here, therefore believers we must PRAY for them!!!

February 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • CanadianGirl

Hitler, Ted Bundy, and Clifford Olson (Canadian serial-killing pedophile) were all fetuses at one time too. Of course murder is wrong – we all know that. The point here is that this kid is not even old enough to VOTE yet so why are we even considering his opinion to be valid? Just because one is pro-choice, don't make the assumption that its the same as pro-abortion. Deep-down, we are all pro-life but there are times when abortion may be the only choice. BTW, for all the unaborted fetuses who are born to mothers (always the mothers, rarely if EVER the fathers) who either can't or won't care for them, are you doing anything to help them or are they ignored and forgotten after birth? Just as long as they weren't aborted, I guess that's all that matters to you. Praise the Lord and pass the gravy! Keep your sanctimonious and self-serving prayers for me to yourself – I neither need or want them.

February 18, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • Faith

To CanadianGirl......why does his opion have to be catigorized as valid or non-valid? It's his BELIEF and OPINION! He is just as much of a human being as you are. So why is it that just because he is 16 years old he apparently, according to you, doesn't have the right to speak? If you have children, would you rather they learn values from someone like Justin or Lady GaGa? Kids relate to other kids. Personally, if my son were a teenager again, or younger, I'd rather him hear Justin speaking about his Christian beliefs than some of the Murder Rap singers we have amoungst other violent song singing performers. And just because he is 16 years old does not mean that he doesn't have a good head on his shoulders. Give him a break!!! His opinions and beliefs are just as valid as you might think yours are!!

February 18, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  6. JoMama

Justin Bieber *is* a fetus, so his views aren't surprising.

February 18, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  7. John

He was asked for his opinon on abortion. He gave it. Like the majority of teenagers in America today ( 54% now) he is pro life. This is the age of 3D ultrasound afterall. No denying life anymore

February 18, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  8. rob

He was doing so well there for awhile, saying all of the right things, and now he is getting in over his head. These are the sort of comments that will ruin his career. At very least, we now know that the kid is an idiot.

February 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • Aaron

Amen Rob. Whoever doesn't think like you is clearly an idiot. I wish everyone thought just like you Rob because I am so tired of all these idiots. I can't believe this non-Rob type guy is rich and famous. Sure does get under my skin.

February 18, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  9. Fan

Justin has a right to believe whatever he chooses to believe. Just because he's a celebrity does not mean he has to be politically correct. Hopefully his choices and actions in life are consistent with what he believes.

February 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  10. buttset

Justin SHUT THE F UP. YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING SO JUST SHUT UP!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • Faith

Now THAT took pure intellegence to come up with a post like that. Why is there so much hate against this young man? Because he's talented, believes in God, works hard and gives back????? Seriously! YOU need a brain cell check pal.

February 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
  11. Nunya

Why are they even asking a CHILD like him, questions like that?

February 18, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
  12. mi17mtp

I hope he has more opinions and voices them, helps me get over being told to sh ut u p when I was a kid.
    He is more popular the john lennon talking about jesus.

February 18, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
  13. Dot44

Well, Rolling Stone asked him....and he responded. I don't understand why they asked him these questions. What was the purpose ?

February 18, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • Woman

Media ask questions that will benefit them, their magazine sales, their viewership–not because it is good for the young person (young celebrity). Look what Vanity Fair did to Miley cyrus. THey didn't HAVE to publish those photos.

February 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
  14. Aaron

All of the right-wingers won't be a fan of Bieber long. They need to read the whole story. He was also very critical of America and praised Canada's health care system. He may be pro-life but he's also pro-universal health care.

Let me ask the pro-life people this... WHO will pay for people's unwanted babies and all the support they're going to need? I don't think abortion should be completely illegal, even though I abhor it. I have a "whole-life" policy, that means, if we're going to make an unwed 15 yr-old carry her baby to term, then we need to make sure she can afford health care, and that the baby has the health care and education he/she needs to become a productive citizen.

To be opposed to abortion and also opposed to universal health care is pure hypocrisy. You care about the fetus leaving the mother but then don't give a damn what happens to that baby afterwards.

February 18, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • Melissa

I seriously love this statement. I have been saying this too forever...BAH!

February 18, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Faith

Ahhhh, and once again politics are brought up because of someone's beliefs. Pathetic. Amazing how that happens with practically EVERY story told about anything.

February 18, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  15. Brooklyn

Poor brainwashed child.

February 18, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • Woman

brainwashing can go both ways regarding this issue

February 18, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  16. Mike

My God, the kids only 16 years old. I felt the same way at 16 and now at 49 my thoughts and opinions are a lot more complex. Lets give him a break and let him grow up.

February 18, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • MrsSelf

My thoughts exactly, Mike!!

February 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  17. Chris

Have any of you pro-life-based-on-religious belief people ever actually Read the bible? Because I have. It does not say ANYWHERE that life begins at conception. That is a man made idea and is NOT what "god" says. Genesis 2:7, which also defines the entrance of the soul: “and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living soul”. Other references are Ezekiel 37:10, I Kings 17:17-21, and James 2:26. Since a fetus doesn't breathe, it isn't life and doesn't have a soul, according to biblical definition.

The bible makes NO reference to abortion. Other than in an occurrence of "forced miscarriage" when they would have to pay the husband a small sum of money to make up for it.

God killed David's son to make a point. So.. god can kill children, but we can't abort a fetus?

Some quotes that anti-abortion people use out of context: “Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee..” (Jeremiah 1:5) This is claimed to show that the “soul” starts at conception. But reading the entire chapter, including the remainder of the sentence quoted, it's clear that the god is talking specifically to Jeremiah, not to the entire human race, as he is telling him that he was born to be a prophet.

“...he hath blessed thy children within thee.” (Psalms 147:13). Again, this is supposed to mean that human life begins before birth; i.e. that a fetus is the same as a child. But read the rest of the psalm, and see that thee refers to the city of Jerusalem, not pregnant women!

Educate yourself fully before you try to force your beliefs onto other people.

February 18, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • mi17mtp

Your interpretation, your opinion. I'm glad we live in a country where we can voice them.

February 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • bo

Really? Other than in an occurrence of "forced miscarriage" when they would have to pay the husband a small sum of money to make up for it.
      Pay the "Husband"?

February 18, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Chris

No. That's not my interpretation. That's quoted straight from the bible. Don't just disagree with me. PROVE I'm wrong. You can't. Because I'm right. And it can't be an opinion, because I didn't offer "my opinion" on abortion or this issue. I only disproved the "christian" argument. To many people hide behind the bible and then when confronted about the FACTS and what the oh-so-revered bible REALLY says... they turn their back and act like a child. "Nu-uh. I'm right. You're wrong" but can't actually offer facts or evidence.

It's like the Monty Python sketch with the dead parrot.
      Fact: "This parrot is dead"
      Christian: "No it isn't"

February 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • etu brute?

I love when people take the Bible out of context to prove that something as horrible as abortion is ok. It is not. It is wrong on religious grounds, moral grounds and certainly physical grounds. The Bible doesn't say heroin is bad for you or hitting yourself in the head with a hammer, or driving a car while drunk, but we hardly need an explicit directive to know those things are neither good for you nor condoned by the Bible. Over and over and over Jesus' teachings indicate that he holds children up as sacred. Believe it, don't believe it, your choice.

February 18, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Matt

You make some great points, thank you! As an outspoken Christian myself and long-time employee of the church, I often get frustrated to see people use go-to phrases from the Bible without actually educated thought to justify their stance on certain issues. You clearly have looked into this issue and weighed the different ideas and that's something I wish we saw more of in our church and especially our world. Thank you for posting!!!

February 18, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • etu brute?

I wonder what this means then....:Jeremiah 1:5 we are told that God KNEW Jeremiah:"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations."

Yikes or maybe this:
      Psalm 139:13-16:

"For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them."

February 18, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • Matt

To everyone who keeps arguing that because God formed a child in the womb it means they are ALIVE I wonder how you can explain the following theological principles.

Man was lifeless without the Breath of God
      The first action required of a baby to be living is taking his/her first breath, something they do not do in the womb
      The name of God as spoken by God and God alone (LORD in English translations, YHVH or Yod Hey Vah Hey in Hebrew, changed to Jehovah, Yahweh, etc.) is not a speakable word but in fact the sounds of breathing
      The word for Soul and the word for Breath are interchangeable in nearly every pre-Roman language and many following it

All of these principles point to the idea that God breathes life into mankind, our first breath is the entering in of our soul. The last thing we do in life is exhale our last breath, thus our soul leaves our body. A body is a vessel. I'm not saying let's go kill some babies because we'll get off without guilt, there just seems to be a serious flaw to your argument that a fetus is living from a theological stand point. We celebrate our birthday because it is when life begins, we don't celebrate conception day. Why do we celebrate Christ's birth instead of his conception?

February 18, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • dw

matt christ conception is recognized by the church annuciation day march 25

February 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  18. bo

LMAO! "it's like killing a baby" You idiot, it is killing a baby. Sing and keep quiet.

February 18, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
  19. Stephanie

Bieber is right on. I wish more people believed that killing is wrong even in the womb. The bible says Thou shall not kill. I think Bieber is great for saying what he feels.

February 18, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • LeeCMH

Killing is wrong? What about capital punishment? What about soldiers killing people in foreign lands?

February 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • Wendy

Who cares what the Bible says? Not everyone is a Christian in this world. I am sick of people using "what the Bible says" as their reason for everything.

February 18, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • bo

You're blonde aren't you?

February 18, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • @wendy

I'm sick of people not using the bible...get over it. Complaining isn't doing anything but diminishing your own name. Just like my typos cause folks to ignore what I say no matter how relevant the point is.

February 18, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • agrl4god80

I agree.
      For all those commenting below. Christians use the Bible because we believe that beyond a shaddow of a doubt that is the inspired word of God. It is what defines us and is what guides us. (Note, we are not perfect, nor should we be held to those standards. we are saved by grace through faith...and not by works and perfection). So, I will not apologize for ever using the Bible as the ultimate authority on what I believe and know. And what's so wrong with morals?
      and as for the comments about killing people...Christians don't think it is right to kill, so not sure where you're getting info. There are reasons for wars, which involved killing....but you have to remember, that what our presidents decide isn't always what Christians feel is right....so don't judge Christians based off of presidential decisions or what extremists who really don't know what the Bible really says.

February 18, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  20. Dr. B. Good...

A question to all the folks, who call abortion murder... What do you call it when we drop bombs that kill Muslim babies? Colateral damage?

February 18, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • yep

War sucks.. thus we she avoid it.. but yep.

February 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Guest

I'd call it a good start.

February 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • John316cnn

What do you call it when a muslim kills people in the twin towers, PA and DC?

February 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Adam

Yup!

February 18, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • mi17mtp

what do you call it when two towers fall, killing inocent people.

February 18, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • Melissa

Exactly...or capital punishment. Makes no sense.

February 18, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • agrl4god80

are you trying to say that Christians think that that is ok? If so, you are strongly mistaken.
      But in the case of abortion...it is murder, it is a human. As soon as an egg and sperm meet, the number of chromosomes equal that of a human and within 3 weeks before you even know you're pregnant...the fetus has a primative heart beat and circulatory system.
      I cannot grasp the concept that aborting a child would ever be justified or ok in anyones eyes

February 18, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • Religions are BS

It's called, "Oops...!"

February 18, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Adam

Capital Punishment is such a poor comparison. What did the baby ever do to harm society?

February 18, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • etu brute?

We call it the same thing we call Muslims who cut off the heads of people with knives or plant IEDs.

February 18, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • LeeCMH

Well you got your answer Dr. Lots of folks wanting to see murdered people. Feel the venon.

February 18, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Raven

I call it self defense.
      Unborn babies haven't declared war on me because I'm a "Infidel"

February 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • Dr. B. Good...

Do MUslim babies cut off heads and plant IED's? Sounds like you live in a world of hate and fear. How's that working out?

February 18, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Dr. B. Good...

agrl4god80 – Apparently, from the replies to my post, some do.

February 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • Dr. B. Good...

John316cnn – I wasn't aware that Muslim babies were involved in the plotting of the 911 attacks, but I guess in your worldview the only good Muslim is a dead one. What would Jesus say?

February 18, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • etu brute?

What do you call it when Muslims kill babies with bombs and guns and worse?

February 18, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • Dr. B. Good...

John316cnn – I call it religious fanaticism, which leads to all kinds of murder and mayhem... such as murdering abortion doctors. Believe in God all you want, just don't kill in his name.

February 18, 2011 at 2:25 pm |