home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. mama-san

the headline say "backlash" but the article doesn't actually mention any. from whom is this backlash coming?

February 18, 2011 at 11:08 am |
    • dalis

Manufactured by CNN.

February 18, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
  2. CW

You know I don't know much about this guy other than I don't think his music is great. With that being said I'm amazed and now I'm a fan of him as a person. Thank goodness that all his fans are getting a good message. I think its great that he shares his belief in God with his audience....GO BIEBER!!!! As for his stance....I'm glad that he is against ab-'ortion b/c this is something that is wrong and says so in the Bible.

For all those that think that ab-'ortion is okay I would say this. Keep your clothes on follow God and you won't have to worry about having to make a decision like this. For those that have been r-'ap-'ed and get pregnant I would say before they make one of the hardest decisions in life to ask "what would God do?". If they answer that question with honesty then they would know that they CAN give up the child to a family that desparately wants a baby. This is a hard topic...but I agree with "the Bieb's" stance.

February 18, 2011 at 11:08 am |
    • Brian

I'd much prefer people to make make moral decisions based on their own sense of right and wrong than "what would God do?". God allows death, disease, natural disasters, famine, etc. all as part of his unknowable "plan". People who claim to know "what would God do?" are the meglomaniacs/serial killers among us. Better to admit that none of know what God would do (if he exists) and try to live our lives as good people.

February 18, 2011 at 11:35 am |
    • CW

@ Brian,

I disagree with you on the "living you lives as best as you can living your own way of right". The question of "what would God Do" CAN BE ANSWERED. In order to do so you have to read The Bible, and pray. The Lord has given all of us a instuction book on how to live...if you consult it everyday...you will live as it says so. There are no questions...that the Bible hasn't already answered.

February 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  3. Aaron83

Who really cares what Bieber thinks? Obviously he's just another corporate puppet like any adolescent superstar. I can't believe this is even considered news. Shame on CNN for exaggerating the importance of such absurdity!

February 18, 2011 at 11:08 am |
  4. km22

He is allowed to express his opinion. People can agree with him or not but that isnt the point. He was asked a question that shouldnt have been posed to him in the first place and he answered it honestly. He said he couldnt judge and stated his belief...absolutely nothing wrong with that!

February 18, 2011 at 11:07 am |
  5. the dude

I'm an atheist, and I think abortion is quite obviously murder. It's not just a Christian ideal.

February 18, 2011 at 11:07 am |
    • The Zen Particle

There ya go using rationality and reason. However, one can argue when life actually begins. Biologically speaking with the series of cellular divisions and the obvious DNA code that is instructing the cells to form a human, that it is indeed a life, but how life is being used in this case is cognisance and typically a zygote and embryo have no cognisance, so can it really be classified as murder? That's a matter of opinion really.

February 18, 2011 at 11:12 am |
    • Brian

Well obviously it's "murder" in that a life is ended; but by that logic so is fishing. That is not the question. The question is how sentient and how cogizant is the embryo. (Some might add "does it have a soul, yet"; but since you're an athiest, that's irrelevant.) These are the questions that cannot be answered because how does one test an embryo for cognizance? Which is why pro-choice leaves that decision up to the mother rather than the government.

February 18, 2011 at 11:30 am |
    • dalis

Cognizance is your invented benchmark. To justify abortion, you'll shift the benchmark continually. That's why abortion is called a slippery slope to infanticide. And the Kermit Gosnell case proves that to be the case.

February 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • CatholicMom

the dude,
      You are right, it doesn’t take being a Christian to know what murder is….the taking of human life. We are supposed to be the most intelligent of animals and yet we display the most barbaric of behaviors of all animals…killing our young IN THE WOMB!

February 18, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • Evolved DNA

Catholic mom.. you have no concern trying to assist life in the womb, to allow children to be born, but at what age do you stop caring... thousands of children were ra-ped by your priests and there is little outrage at the leader ship who knew what was happening. I agree that abortion should not be used as birth control, but there are cases where it has to used and that has no place in he hands of the religious. If a woman aborts naturally then god is also a murderer , which he has been since he was created in the minds of men... and women.

February 19, 2011 at 1:55 am |
    • HotAirAce

@EvolvedDNA

You nicely spotted CatholicMom's hypocrisy – she has no problem letting us know her thoughts on abortion, but is silent on the rccs pedophile priest problem. And there was yet another report of child abuse by a catholic priest in south america today...

February 19, 2011 at 2:08 am |
    • CatholicMom

Evolved DNA and HotAirAce,

Abortion has nothing to do with Priests sinning! So let me see what it is you are making a point about….I see, abort all the babies so that there will be none for Priests to abuse. So sin upon sin is your way of solving a problem.

That is like saying what so many others say on these blogs….kill the babies so they will not have to suffer the pains of living on this earth! But let me be born first….

February 19, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
  6. Ryan

On a more serious note, I applaud Bieber, despite not being a fan of his (I prefer Country, Heavy Metal, and Celtic) for his willingness to stand up for his beliefs, fully knowing what it may cost him. That takes guts, something I wish the rest of America had more of.

February 18, 2011 at 11:06 am |
  7. sick of being so PC

To the pro choice hypocrites.... is the word "choice" really something you believe in? He chooses to believe abortion is wrong. End of story. It's either the pro choice way or the highway.........its ridiculous.

February 18, 2011 at 11:06 am |
    • Brian

Relax. Pretty sure he's on tour now, so he chose "the highway". No harm done.

February 18, 2011 at 11:24 am |
    • Steve

Pro-life stance: 'I don't believe in abortion, so NO ONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO HAVE ONE"
      Pro-choice stance: "You can have an abortion if that's what you believe. If you don't believe in it, don't have one"

Simple. So who is really the hypocrite?

February 18, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • jwills

@ Steve:

Let's rephrase your post to show how stupid it is:

Anti-theft stance: 'I don't believe theft is right, so NO ONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO DO IT"
      Pro-theft stance: "You can steal if that's what you believe. If you don't believe in it, don't do it

Hopefully you now see how stupid your point was. Hopefully you care if you look or sound stupid.

February 18, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • really?

jwills,
      Love the rephrasing...if your not familiar with Scott Klusendorf, you would love him.

February 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  8. Josea

Way to go Bieber!

February 18, 2011 at 11:05 am |
  9. badfengshui

Come on Bieber, just you worry about your uterus and let the other women worry about theirs.

February 18, 2011 at 11:05 am |
  10. rafalweb

Will someone pleas explain to me why a 16 year old KID is being asked such loaded questions? Can't he just be left to be a 16 year old kid? Does the View have to spew on him? I'm no Bieber fan, but he's just a teenager.

February 18, 2011 at 11:05 am |
  11. Jim

Since Mr. Beiber will never have to make the decision to have or not have an abortion, then his statement is just an opinion or stance on the subject. So what if he's against abortion? What right does he have to say what a woman will decide to do for herself anyway?

February 18, 2011 at 11:05 am |
    • BGJ

He is a kid smart enough to have an opinion.

February 18, 2011 at 11:34 am |
    • jwills

If it's his child and half it's genetic code came from him, then he certainly has the right to have a say over what happens with that child.

February 18, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Jim,
      A woman doesn’t decide ‘for herself’ as you put it….she decides for someone else.

February 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • Erin

Why is it that abortion is just a "women's issue" in so many people's view? How do you think conception occurs in the first place? It involves a man! Saying that men have no business having an opinion on abortion is a cop-out. What would you say if I told you that all non-Jews should have just butted out regarding the halocaust, since it didn't involve them? How about all white people minding their own business regarding the slavery of blacks in this country? And even though i don't support gay relationships being granted marriage status, I don't go around telling strait people that they have no right in advocating for gay marriage since it doesn't impact them personally. People can stand up for causes because they think an injustice is being done to others, and particularly in the case of abortion, where an injustice is being done to those who have no way to defend themselves! If one sees abortion as murder, then it is unconscionable to stand by and look the other way, saying. "Oh well, not my problem."

February 18, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
    • Brittany

jim, he replied to a question!! how does the not have the right to an opinion!!??? erin, speak it girlll you rock!! plant those seeds!! you never know who is reading this and whose life will be improved by us defending the defenseless!

February 18, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
  12. Ryan

Welcome to America! We tolerate anyone except Christians and their worldviews. If you're Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Atheist, Pagan, Jew, or any other religion that doesn't believe in Jesus, this is your country! If you're a Christian, expect to be verbally abused, made fun of, your beliefs trashed and ridiculed, no matter how famous or powerful (think President Bush).

February 18, 2011 at 11:03 am |
    • The Zen Particle

I'm pagan and we're not tolerated by either monotheists or atheists. Took years for pagan soldiers to get their symbol of faith on their headstones. Plus, when you turn on the TV you have no problem finding a Christian channel.

February 18, 2011 at 11:07 am |
    • Matt

Just for clarification purposes, atheism is not a religion.

February 18, 2011 at 11:09 am |
    • A.S.

There is 100% truth to that statement. Why? Because Jesus is THE way, THE truth, and THE life. and no one comes to the Father except through Him.

February 18, 2011 at 11:11 am |
    • The Zen Particle

@A.S. If Jesus is YOUR way, then awesome, but you and I do not know the "truth", so lets not act like it. K?

February 18, 2011 at 11:13 am |
    • Gayle

Oh Ryan – President Bush was not criticized for being a Christian! Think starting two wars over bogus claims, and not trying to fund either of them – that is where criticism of Pres. Bush begins. However, I find it hard to fathom how so many "Christians" have concern for life only before a baby is born, but want nothing to do with paying for its care after it is born. Why is it that so many Christians feel so very strongly that a fetus is a human being which should be protected, but want to get rid of all programs that protect single mothers and unwanted children? If you insist on forcing women to give birth to unwanted children, then you should be willing to pick up the tab for the care of those children until they reach at least 18 years of age.

February 18, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Gayle,
      The Catholic Church has more programs and help to poor people through their many charity services than any other single group of people other than the USA government. If the USA government is cutting programs maybe you need to pay more taxes if they don’t have enough money for the programs you think are lacking.

February 18, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • Evelet

@Gayle I couldn't have said it better myself!! I totally agree with you, pro-lifers are all about 'being born' but screw the kid one he's here! It's pathetic!

Also from a Christian perspective why is living in our sinful world so important? Isn't the ultimate goal to get to heaven and this place we call earth is a sad sinners sanctuary? Well where do you think those babies go? I would think they go straight to heaven and bypass this place. Couldn't that possibly be a good thing? Correct me if I am wrong!

February 18, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • Erin

Gayle, read this if you think that pro-lifers have no interest in the child after it is born: http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2011/01/2380
      And government programs are not the only way, nor are they always the most efficient way, to take care of babies once they are born.
      Evelet, are you serious? It is good to let babies be aborted so they can go straight to heaven?? How does that add any logic to your position???

February 18, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
    • Brittany

oh please matt! atheism has every earmark of being a religion! just because you dont believe in God doesnt mean that you dont live your life, determine your spirituality, and spend your time and effort defending your world view!

February 18, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
    • Evolved DNA

Brittany.. you are in a religion i expect. you have to believe certain things in order to belong.. if you suddenly decided that abortion was ok you would be chastised, or even kicked out of that group. The group has ideals that it espouses, and many rituals it follows.. look at Catholics they have all sorts of things they have to do in order to belong, they may not agree with them at a personal level but that is unimportant to the group.. it has to appear cohesive. Atheists only claim one thing.. there is no proof that God exists. That's it. I have no idea nor do I care what else other atheists believe.. some think abortions ok others that it is abhorrent , and we vary on moral issues no doubt." Atheism" is no more a religion than being bald is a hair style. If you think we are a religion then let the tax dept know.. we will be eligible for the tax breaks the religions get

February 19, 2011 at 1:33 am |
    • CatholicMom

Evolved DNA,

In my opinion, atheism is a religion in that the main premise to be an atheist is to declare there is no God.

Then, just as in Protestantism, each atheist becomes his own Pope in declaring other truths of their beliefs….a group may hold to abortion rights…another may call it killing; then the atheists can split again and again with still other individual thoughts…it is a religion of ‘Individualism’. This makes it hard for them to have a ‘Headquarters’ because they really don’t have a tight knit feeling of caring about each other; money is a big issue with atheists so this helps bind them together in a loose sort of manner….many never feel wealthy enough and want the government to kick in but do not want to have to pay for any of the programs….tax everyone who makes more than they do.

I only know one atheist and these premises hold true with her but we still became ‘friends’ because she had a desire to learn how to make pottery and she was my neighbor. Most of my knowledge about atheists have come from her and those posting on these blogs.

February 19, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
  13. New Bieber Fan

I applaud Justin for speaking what was on his mind despite the fact that his position is, unfortunately, unpopular with most of the "progressive" media that is covering the story. As for Dir Tee's response - I for one hope that Justin never stops talking about God. Everybody (including you and I) need Him and the work that has been accomplished through Christ.

February 18, 2011 at 11:03 am |
    • really?

Well said. I guess I can put up with that hair for his stance on defenseless babies.

February 18, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  14. Bob Rock

An increase in births always leads to a greater disaster down the road. Lemmings always end up going off the cliff. Why not humanly control it when we can?

February 18, 2011 at 11:03 am |
    • CatholicMom

Bob Rock,
      Countries have tried to control the birth rate of their people, and by s3x also, and now they see the disaster of interference. They are trying to reverse what they have done but it does not look good for their future. They are now paying families to have more than one child. The natural flow of life has been interrupted and there is fear that some countries have failed so badly that they may not survive as a country.

February 18, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • Brittany

Bob rock, i dont see YOU volunteering to sacrifice your life and breath to help control the population. you signify the apex of selfishness!!

February 18, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
  15. Diana

What kills me is everyone bashing this kid for his Christian beliefs. But if a hard core music celebrity like Eminem came on here talking about his Pro-Choice stance, there would be NO controversy! This country's morals are truly screwed up!

February 18, 2011 at 11:03 am |
    • Sarah

Actually, anti-choicers would be up in arms....get a clue.

February 18, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Carla M

Bull- I'm a little tired of the "everybody bashes christian"! Christian "values" are mainstream. ( I'm not so sure of some individual christian values, but I figure that it is that individuals fault not so much God's.) I see entirely too much hate speech directed from Christian view points. Some of the posts on this topic alone are a prime example. It is not new to the world, for centuries, one religion has attacked another so sure that only they know best. Maybe if all gave the respect they demand for their point of view the world would improve. Blessed be.

February 18, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  16. blake

Sadly there are millions of self focused women in this country who believe that their right to control their own body supercedes the right to life for another human being. Many are rabid in their obcession over this issue.

February 18, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • JEARL

You got that right, we should kill all the mothers and save the babbies, Plus womem should not have rights

February 18, 2011 at 11:17 am |
    • Brian

Even more sad is that there are millions of men (with names like "blake) who think that they should be a part of a discussion that has nothing to do with them. This effects women, not men. If it is truly a moral issue why not trust your women to defend your "correct" point of view? Surely there are enough pro-life women to defend the cause if it is, in fact, the right one. If, on the other hand, pro-lifers can only win by having their men involved perhaps their argument in insufficient.

February 18, 2011 at 11:21 am |
    • Jennifer

What I get tired of is the way people refer to this as a "womans" issue. This is not a womans issue, it is a human issue. Why do the rights of the mother supercede that of the child? And how could you possibly believe that men have no vested interest in the abortion debate? Are they not the fathers of these children? How can we expect men to be involved in our childrens lives after they are born if they are told it's non of their buisness what happens between conception and birth?There is way to much name calling and arguing about this. There needs to be honest discussion about the matter with ALL of the facts on the table. Women need to be informed about the development of their unborn children befroe they abort them. They need to know how quickly these babies develop a heartbeat, arms, legs and so on. It's not just a "clump of cells" they are getting rid of....

February 18, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
    • jwills

JEARL, you're a perfect example of the utter irrationality of the left in this country. Nobody is arguing that we should "kill all the mothers and save the babbies [sic]" and that "womem [sic] should not have rights". You are making an utterly fallacious straw man argument here.

February 18, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
    • really?

jwills,
      That is ALL THEY HAVE. They seriously don't have an argument to bring to the table...it's a matter of convenience and liberation which is impeded by a defenseless child. I'm surprised we haven't heard the old back alley abortion bit...it's usually their favorite.

February 18, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • really?

Jennifer,
      Well said young lady!

February 18, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  17. Daniel

Here's the gist... Freedom of speech, so relax. He's a kid, why do we care? Relax.

February 18, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • Bob

This is precisely what I was thinking. I'm pro-choice and even I think the backlash is ridiculous. I mean, he's not trying to be disrespectful – he's just stating what he believes in.

February 18, 2011 at 11:10 am |
  18. Sherry

The only part of this I find at all upsetting is why people are supposed to care what a 16 year-old pop star's views on abortion or religion are. I guess maybe his teenage fans might care for a couple of years and maybe that is disturbing for rational adults to think young people are being influenced by their pop idol...but, really, he's just a kid. He and his opinions will grow into maturity eventually, and the same goes for his fans. Unless you're one of those sick freaks who's already an adult and a Bieber fan. In that case, there's no hope for you.

February 18, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • Bob Rock

It really isn't about maturity. Religious elief is a result of brainwashing! It's a sad commentary on what happened to this kid.

February 18, 2011 at 11:07 am |
    • Brittany

if 16 year olds are not VIABLE to you, why dont you STICK SOME SCISSORS IN THEIR NECKS FOR 20 MINUTES???? why dont you then weep when you are taken to jail for doing something "illegal" while simultaneously yelling that abortion is LEGAL and therefore a WOMAN'S RIGHT??! it scares me that i walk amongst people like you both!

February 18, 2011 at 11:05 pm |
    • Sherry

Brittany, you are obviously insane.

February 23, 2011 at 12:23 am |
  19. Ellen

Christ gave us a clue when He stated the truth would come from the mouths of babes. Maybe we should be glad Bieber is not a devotee of the dark side. His fans are those who will eventually have to deal with a very broken American culture.

February 18, 2011 at 11:01 am |
    • Brian

So.... if he had been a "devotee of the dark side" he would have said the opposite, but since he is still a "babe" that would have been the truth, too? I'm confused. Or does being a "devotee of the dark side" make you instantly a grown-up and therefore a liar? This Christian mythology is so confusing. No internal consistency whatsoever.

February 18, 2011 at 11:15 am |
    • billy

@ ellen : oh no sweetheart ! you didn't get the memo. there is NO god. it's just a made up story that people tell themselves to feel better.

February 18, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • really?

Billy boy,
      Do you campaign against the existence of the tooth fairy or Santa? No, because you KNOW they don't exist.

February 18, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • Brittany

@ really: i love the way you put things! wish we could be friends somehow. the people on here campaigning for homicide are doing just Romans says they will do: they hide the truth from themselves! God has given them over to their hard hearts.

February 18, 2011 at 11:02 pm |
  20. Beal

If there is a heart beat, your taking a life

February 18, 2011 at 11:01 am |
    • Bob Rock

That's so true – just think about it every time you eat your chicken, beef, or pork!

February 18, 2011 at 11:05 am |
    • Kyle

@Bob Rock:

I have no problem taking the life of a chicken, cow, or pig in order to feed my family. I do have a problem taking the life of a human, though, especially if they are part of my family (in other words, if I'm the father).

February 18, 2011 at 11:10 am |
    • Steve

That's extremely hypocritical. We live in a society where there is enough food not containing meat to feed your family. Instead, you find excuses to justify your beliefs. If abortion is murder, meat is too.

February 18, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • Kyle

@ Steve:

Killing an animal is not murder. Killing humans is murder. Murder has that HUMAN element in it. Fruits and vegetables are a part of life, too. But nobody is concerned about eating those.

I believe that meat is an essential part of a healthy diet. They talked about it in elementary school. You know, the whole food pyramid thing?

I do not believe that eating other animals is immoral. It is part of survival. They teach about that in elementary school, too. You know, that day they talked about the food chain?

I guess I assumed I was talking to people with a 5th grade education or higher. I guess not...

February 18, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
    • Hmmm.

Steve – Yes, meat is taking a life... but it's not a human life. Yes, humans are more important than animals. Yes, I am a speciesist. Regardless of "made in the image of God" or "highest on the evolutionary food chain for the moment" logic, our hardwired biochemistry "knows" that preservation of ourselves and those like us comes first.

February 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
    • Kyle

Just as a reference for you to research a little bit, scientists have defined six "kingdoms" of life: Animalia, Plantae, Fungi, Protista, Archaea, Bacteria. Good luck having a healthy diet without taking life.

As a warning, these are taught more in high school. So, it may take some time to understand.

Sorry about being so rude. But I really don't like being called a hypocrite. I practice what I preach. I don't make excuses that apply only to me and nobody else.

February 18, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Steve,
      Scientists have done many tests on plants and they have found that plants feel pain and suffer by human hands as in slicing a tomato. What happens when you uproot a carrot, disturb a potato plant, pick an apple? These are living things, too, and you cause their death when you eat them.
      Don't worry, though, God gave us our food to eat...be thankful. God gave us life...be thankful. He gives and only He can end life by His Plan.

February 18, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • really?

Kyle,
      I wouldn't bother with these guys...something tells me if we all quit eating hamburgers they'd still demand the right to kill a defenseless child.

February 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • C

My Faith allows me to kill animals to nurish my family. That is why God put them on this earth. We are not to abuse them however.

February 18, 2011 at 9:43 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Bob Rock,

Genesis 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein [there is] life, [I have given] every green herb for meat: and it was so.

Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, [it was] very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

February 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm |