home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. John

There's a couple problems here:

First, people are condemning someone for saying what they believe. If Beiber believes abortion is wrong, that's his right as an American to both believe and state. He has a forum to make his beliefs known and is using that. I personally think his music is lousy and don't care for him, but whether or not I like him, I have no right to condemn him for having an opinion. I hate to break it to all of those out there who are outraged at his belief, but he has no less a right to say what he's said than you do to say what you say. If you don't like it, move to another country where there is no freedom of speech. Try that out for a while.

Second, people here and elsewhere are making some horribly illogical statements about the morality of abortion. Someone tried justifying abortion because we've dropped bombs on other nations. That's not a justification.

To the people who state the bible doesn't say life begins at conception: you're right. But show me clear, incontrovertible proof that it doesn't. No person can definitively say when "human" life begins. This means that there's no way to know whether or not aborting a fetus is killing a "human" being. Logically, the only way you can definitively state you're not killing a human is by not aborting. Show me clear and incontrovertible evidence otherwise and I'll listen, but I don't think this is possible.

February 18, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • JOregon

I agree with his right to say what he wants, and I agree with him – BUT – he is Canadian.

February 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

' I hate to break it to all of those out there who are outraged at his belief, but he has no less a right to say what he's said than you do to say what you say. If you don't like it, move to another country where there is no freedom of speech. Try that out for a while'
      So stop moaning about those people exercising their right to free speech in criticizing him.

February 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  2. JustMe

Well he is a white male and lives in Georgia (albeit he is from Canada), so makes sense to me. That's pretty much the feeling of all white males in Georgia.

February 18, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  3. Steady

Is this really passing for news.....What would Beiber do??? Who cares

February 18, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  4. Tina

I totally agree with Wendy. Not everyone is a christian. In fact, a LOT of us are not. Who gave anyone the right to assume everyone uses the christian bible as their reference? Lose the ego, people. Think of someone else for a change.

February 18, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Sarah

I agree with you 100%!!

February 18, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  5. LeeCMH

People in business to make money should consider their potential customers and attempt not to alienate anyone. No matter the controversy, it tends to divide the customer base and ultimate reduce profit. Just being pragmatic.

February 18, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  6. Steady

Hmmmm....What would Bieber do????......Oh wait!....who cares....Is this really passing for news these days?

February 18, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
  7. Gary, TX

Hey Bible thumpers .. does 400 thousand orphans mean anything to you? Probably not due to brain wash .. Man made God not the other way around .. let people be free and not have to conform to your beliefs .. YOUR beliefs

February 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Mike

okay, but who made Man?

February 18, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • David

Thats one of the most ignorant comments I hear in my existence. Your own depravity has fried almost every brain cell inside of you. Stop being stubborn, turn from your sin, and come to Jesus so he can forgive you.

February 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  8. frank

As someone looking in: When Gaga outwardly sings in a song about equal rights for all, which is ok, she gets praise. But when Justin says in an interview what he believes, people freak out. As someone looking from the outside in, would that be called a double standard, or reverse discrimination, or what? Sometimes it looks like when someone has a Christian belief it is wrong, but when someone has an Agnostic belief than it's ok. Just wanna hear thoughts on both sides.

February 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • Sarah

Gaga is an adult, Justin is a child; so yeah, though I think both opinion's don't matter, his matters a lot less.

February 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  9. Edwin P. Niemeyert

What does this 16 year old little boy know about life any way. Yeah he's has a big fallowing but he will burn out. I think his fame has gone to his head. He should stick to what knows which is sing and turning the little girls on and leave politics alone. He is now now the poster boy for all causes. Congratulations

February 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  10. kiwigurlxc

The decision about abortion should be left up to the individual. Christians need to mind their own business and stop trying to control everyone else.

February 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  11. P

Ok I can't stand him, but if I could, I'd invest in Bieber stocks! This kid is smart! Not only is getting the teeny bopper crowd to buy his records, but now he'll have the Christian crazies following him. He's gonna be selling more than Gaga and Madonna combined! I want in on this kid!!!

February 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  12. Random Anonymous Blackmail

Who the hell really cares what his views are, he isn't running for office, just another out of touch celebrity.

February 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  13. Joe

I think the issue is that people who are pro-abortion don't actually realize what happens to the baby. It's was likely the same with slavery. It was just so convenient that nobody actually cared or thought about the victim or thought there was no victim. His views on abortion should be applauded! These aborted babies aren't some single celled organism, but living humans that react to pain independent of the mother. It's not so nice if you have to think about that.

February 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  14. Pastor Evans

Freedom to speak, freedom to choose, correct? Or this is no longer right in America because of the Demonic spirit of political correctness, which is simply code for deception and gray area?

February 18, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Pete

A BOY WITH NO PUBES SHOULD NOT BE GIVING OPINIONS ON SOMETHING HE KNOWS NOTNING ABOUT!

February 18, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • donna

PETE- WHY ARE YOU READING ABOUT HIS OPINIONS THEN??

February 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  15. Melissa

I don't believe his hair should be legal for a straight male. (Am I allowed to say that?)

February 18, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  16. a person

ever read the cider house rules?

before abortion was legalized, BOTH the mother and fetus would have died.

February 18, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Joe

Really? So you are saying that unless mothers get abortions they'll all die? How then is it that we're all here? Abortion like slavery is wrong. Some people don't want to think about what really happens to the baby or the slave.

February 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • James

perhaps that's because that was before modern medical abilities. Murder is murder, whether the victim is standing before you or developing in a mother's womb.

February 18, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  17. Lynne

I'm sorry, but why are we even listening to a teenager who sings bad pop songs on this subject?

February 18, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Pete

LOL. You are so right on sistah! I mean puleeeeze? And WHY would Rolling Stone even ASk a teenie bopper such a question? He doesn't even have pubes yet!

February 18, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • Sarah

They also asked him his views on healthcare....hahahhahahha

February 18, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • Alice

Thank you Lynne Maybe this egotistical little creep can now crawl back into his hole

February 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • donna

Why are you listening to him Lynne?

February 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  18. MidwestUSA

He is just stating his opinion. I don't think that he is knocking anyone for their opinion or choices that they have made. When someone states their point of view accept it for what it is and remember to breath.

February 18, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  19. Dr. B. Good...

This is yet another way that Christians and Muslims are just alike, they don't believe in women havi9ng rights to their own bodies.

February 18, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • DJH

Ah, so having an opinion that doesn't support your idea = women not having rights over their own bodies. Interesting, I wasn't aware that having an opinion as an individual was a threat to YOUR rights! Funny – I bet you consider yourself a defender of free speech too.

February 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • kiwigurlxc

I dont see a like button, so I'll write it: LIKE!

February 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • James

It's not the woman's body that Christians are protecting from abortion, IT'S THE UNBORN CHILD.

February 18, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • Mike

Clearly another ignorant fool.

Hey, if we kill you can we call it abortion so it’s legal?

February 18, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • njemnu

No! Women have the right to commit adultery and fornicate, but not the right to kill an unborn child. Use birth control and all what not, but don't try to pass killing as a right.

February 18, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Joe K.

You have the right to keep your legs closed and not have an unplanned pregnancy. You have the right not properly protect yourself with Trojans. What right does the baby you created by not planning properly have. According to your train of thought, the right to die. Someone has to stick up for the baby, because people use abortion as a form of birth control.

February 18, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Journey

Unborn babies don't have rights. They can't sign their name or BREATHE, therefore the woman should get more rights than the fetus. Sorry. I'd rather have a hundred abortions than a hundred latchkey, Maury Show "Who's-the-daddy" babies.

February 18, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • Djjr51

The woman does have a right to her body. What she doesn not have a right to is ending the life inside her! Who looks out for the babies rights? Just because they can't speak for themselves doesn't make the baby any less human!

February 18, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • donna

Nejemnu, It is a fact that women have the right to abortion in this country.

February 18, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • riley

It is not as much about rights as it is RESPONSIBILITY! Every right has a responsibility to use it correctly. So don't go accusing Christians of being like the Muslim extremist. If you lay down with a man and you take NO protection against pregnancy, why should a baby suffer because of a woman's stupidity. Abortion shouldn't be an option for stupidity. There are woman out there that would love to have the baby that so many people kill in America everyday. They should thank God they can get pregnant instead of thanking God for the option to kill it should they choose. How many senseless abortions are performed in America every year? One is too many.

February 18, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • DD

Actually – Christians and many other support protecting the lives of both unborn MEN and WOMEN. Which is the greater evil – preventing a woman from having an abortion, or aborting the life of an unborn woman that will never have any rights, since she has been killed before having the chance to defend herself?

February 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Jared

I hate the "it's my body" excuse, because it doesn't actually make sense one you apply a little logic. It stops being just about "your body" when there's someone else's body growing inside you. Personally, I support abortion in certain cases, such as non-consent. In those instances the woman didn't willingly participate, but the rest of the time she made the choice, and I don't condone punishing the unborn child for her actions.

It runs along the same lines as child neglect. If you choose to have a child you're responsible for ensuring it's well being. IMO whether it's in your womb or in your house it's all the same.

February 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • kiwigurlxc

All men should not be allowed an opinion until they can, themselves, carry a baby.

February 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • donna

Riley, if there are so many people in this country who are willing to raise other people's children, why do we have hundreds of thousands of children in foster care? Why are there millions of babies in the world without families?

February 18, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • donna

Jared: "Personally, I support abortion in certain cases, such as non-consent. In those instances the woman didn't willingly participate, but the rest of the time she made the choice, and I don't condone punishing the unborn child for her actions."
      You are however in favor of punishing a woman for her actions by forcing a pregnancy on her if she had willing relations. If not, you would not make exceptions in the case on non-consent. Unless you think that an unborn child should be punished for his father's actions?

February 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Steve the real one

Journey
      ---------------
      1. Invalids cannot sign their names! ( I cannot think of a better term)
      2. Some uneducated adults cannot sign their names!
      3. Some folks cannot breath without medical support
      What is your answer to them? In addition, developing babies cannot breath on their just like you couldn't! Their support systems are the women carrying them! Who incidently is a SEPARATE person!

February 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Dr. B. Good...

Mike – Only a coward would make idle threats on the internet.

February 18, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • Dr. B. Good...

So, after a woman is forced to have an unwanted pregnancy... who will see to it that the child is loved and cared for the way a planned child is? Some women are not fit to have children. Do you think crackheads make good mothers?

February 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Dr. B. Good...

Jared – Spoken like a man, who will never be pregnant.

February 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Dr. B. Good...

James – You obviously don't understand the concept of reproductive rights. I suppose you also believe that every sperm is sacred, since it is potentially a life form... No self-gratifiication, it's murder! Cancer cells are alive in our bodies, do they have rights too?

February 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  20. unbeliebable

of course bieber's views on abortion are pertinent. every little girl has to face this consideration someday.

February 18, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • Still Laughing

Seriously. I'm voting yours as comment of the year. That was SUPER funny.

February 18, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Joe

What a sick society you live in if you think every woman should consider abortion when they become pregnant. For many women they wouldn't ever consider killing their baby, unborn or not.

February 18, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • kiwigurlxc

Joe, I don't think many women actually consider abortion as an actual means of birth control. However, sometimes abortion is the best option, and narcissits like you who think that they know everything should just mind their own business.

February 18, 2011 at 1:44 pm |