home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. VAwonderment

Why do we care about a 16 year old's thoughts on this subject? He has not been exposed to enough of live to formulate his own ideas outside those of his parents. That said.... why was this child with an 18 year old woman in a rented house in Florida last month? Just because he claims purity and "being christian" give him a freedom card to exploit is fame and fortune without parential guidance?

February 18, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  2. donna

Anyone who says that they ONLY support abortion in cases of non-consent, is saying that they think unborn children should be punished for the actions of their father.

February 18, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  3. Rick

I am 57 years old and just got Bieber fever. God bless this young man for standing up for what he believes.

February 18, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  4. Kathy from No. VA

Now I really like this kid. Babies need us on the inside and out. If it's not a baby, then what's the abortion for? It's life and good for you to make a strong stand, Justin! Teens in this country are hungry for truth and to know that God does love them. I mean, is Jersey Shore the show you want your kids really watching??

February 18, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  5. Stephanie

I think it's misfortunate that celebrities can't have opinions. It doesn't matter whether he thinks abortion is wrong or okay, he still is going to be judged, and people are going to disagree with him either way. I always thought it was silly because an average, non-famous person could give the same answer, and nobody would think anything of it. I realize celebrities are supposed to be icons, but it seems like no matter what they say, they're wrong, so why bother.

February 18, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  6. etu brute?

I always wonder why the standard of "its my body" only applies to pregnant women. Shouldn't either everyone be the keeper of their own bodies or no one? Why the double standard? If it is MY body to do with as I see fit, why are drugs, suicide and many other bad choices illegal? Should I too not have the "right to do what I want with my own body?" Or does that ONLY apply to some people.....

February 18, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  7. No End

You complain about abortion, then complain about the people who have the kid and is now on welfare. I just don't understand. Also if the child is put in the adoption agency and is never adopted its a possibilty that he/she could become homeless because you get zero help after you turn 18. Lose, lose situation.

February 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
  8. Raub

I feel the same about abortion as I do about helmet laws, "Let those who ride, decide".

February 18, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  9. chickyd

20% of pregnancies end in miscarriages, funny I don't hear anyone calling God a child killer. If he loves children so much then why kill so many???

February 18, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • Truefax

God promised 72 virgins for each to every muslim that dies in Jihad. They gotta come from somewhere right?

February 18, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  10. Jim

Keep your damn$ religion at Home Boy! no One wants to hear a freakin (entertainer) opinion about this debate!!!

February 18, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • Chuck

And, no one wants to hear yours.

February 18, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • Brian

Then why read the article Jim. You should just go away.

February 18, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  11. Jubilee

WOW its pretty funny that a lot of pro-CHOICE people don't seem very interested in Bieber's CHOSEN opinion. Kinda puts a kink in that whole 'to each his own mantra ' huh...? Oh but that's right the mother's choice is all that matters right?!?!

February 18, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
  12. C

I need a role model for my kids.
    Justin....Miley
    Justin.....Lindsey
    Justin..... Snookie
    Justin.....Chris Brown
    Your right who wants this crazy Jesus Freak as a role model when we have such great options

February 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • JohnnyG67

How you being a role model for your child? Why rely on celebrities?

February 18, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • Oh Really?

Why not try the original role model of a parent. I guess it is just easier to turn on the TV......

February 18, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • Gary Borner

Excellent, unfortunately some of the people commenting here were raised by 60's potsmoker parents who caused damage to their children's brains

February 18, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  13. GeorgeInFL

Why did a reporter ask a 16 year old this question knowing that the answer would go viral?
    Why, as adult readers (I am assuming a lot there), are we thin skinned enough to take issue with his responses?
    Does this reporter still have a job?

Justin is 16. In our world he is not expected to make adult decisions or choices. That's why here in the US he could not vote. Yet some yahoo reporter asks him a question that was totally irrelevant to the affairs that night and probably totally unexpected, and people are taking this for the word of the Pope!! Come on people!! Get real!!

Justin – You rock Baby. You were tossed a curve ball and you took a swing at it!! I for one respect your answer. After all you were smart enough to admit that you really don't know the answer. Good you you!!!

February 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
  14. Christ follower

Give life the benefit of the doubt even if it is controversial. Also, why is it that many of the people who preach choice, choice, choice allowing women to kill babies with abortion are also the same ones who decry the killing of whales and the protection of the "living" forests? I am confused.

February 18, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • hyrj1233

Christ=santa clause

February 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Truefax

Heck no Christ was a Jew, we all know Santa Clause is an antisemite. Not the same dude, although I hear they both dated Justin's mom.

February 18, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • WhatsInaName

Apparently, you are confused. You equate a woman's right to her own body with the mass desecration of our environment. One has to do with personal freedom, the other with personal responsibility.

February 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • Ficheye

Yes you are, especially considering the fact that the whales and forests are endangered, while humans are not. In fact, there are over 7 billion people on the planet, an unsustainable population if you consider the resources that we now have to fight economic wars over to survive. Why you can't see that is amazing to me. Oh, I get it. If we are to have less people god should send us some smallpox so then we can say "God works in mysterious ways" or maybe "God has a plan". I'll clue you in: God has no plan, you have no clue, and one of your 8 kids is eating my food.

February 18, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  15. Elizabeth

I am glad there is at least one celebrity who thinks for himself.

February 18, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Jacko

Do you truly think that his stance on abortion wasn't handled and coached to him by his marketing folks? He's a kid! This isn't real Elizabeth! It is an illusion and all pretend and is used as a marketing ploy on you...and its working! It is "you" who needs to think for herself! Perhaps step out from the crowd and listen to somebody with a voice like Brook Benton or Ray Charles...!

February 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • Tom

Are you saying this with a straight face? I'm sure his born-again mother doesn't have any influence on his views on abortion at the age of 16...

February 18, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  16. Lana

I thought America was a free country for everyone! Including Christians...But for some reason when anyone voices an opinion other than the liberal politically correct version they are attacked. I, personally am getting very tired of this "Garbage Media" reporting.

February 18, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Rick

AMEN!!!

February 18, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • Mel

If Christians weren't so bent on making everyone live according to Christian "morals," you wouldn't get the backlash. Christianity isn't oppressed in this nation – it just feels that way when it's not allowed to be the only important way of life and is forced to share time with everyone else.

February 18, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • Brian

@Mel please explain to me how Christians are forcing you to do anything? You know those horrible Christians blowing each...oh wait no. Those horrible Christians forcing you to go ..... wait that's not it either... Mel help me here!

February 18, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  17. Molly

God(s) is made up imaginary concept for weak minded individuals that fail to cope with realities of life. Religion is a relic from the past when people were too ignorant to know otherwise. Religion is just easy answers to hard questions. There is no god!!
    But if there was a god, I would thank it for abortions.

February 18, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Freeman

To Molly and all the other atheists:

Could it be that you're just jealous that this kid has a brain and the talent of musical talent of Michael Jackson (and worth millions), but you're sitting in your bathrobe at 1 PM in your mom's basement bashing Christians and wishing you had a friend?

M

February 18, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • RobA

Notice that Freeman, the Bieber fan replying to Molly, thinks Justin Bieber has a brain. Keep in mind that intelligence is optional when adhering to religious principles. Ask a 5 year old from a religious family a math or logic question, and you'll probably get blank stares. Ask him/her a religious question, and they'll rant fire-and-brimstone like a 17th century pulpit-pounder.

February 18, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Mark

The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but those saved, it is the power of God.

February 18, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • SangGnas

You godless fool! What difficult questions have you answered? Remember Athiesm/Agnostic is a belief and faith. Knowing your stand on ignorance, you probably believe what a bunch of old, dead, miserable men believe in reference to evolution and how mankind came into existence. All of your brains and thinking came up with the big bang theory, evolutions, and other "retarded" concepts of life. Well I have news for you. Belief in a Creator is not only logical but reasonable. You will probably think if you walked past an empty house with all the furnishings and amenities, you will come to the conclusion that it magically appeared or at least from a single-cell molecule.

February 18, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  18. RobA

Conservatives need to learn a few lessons before they end up shooting the entire nation in the foot, themselves included.
    Lesson 1, the more laws you propose related to abortion, the closer we get to entirely government-controlled conception, birth, and child care. You'd eventually need a license and testing before even being allowed to conceive. I thought conservatives disliked government invading private lives? I guess it's OK if it fits their prejudices.
    Lesson 2, the more you involve religion in legislation, the more likely it is that there will be government-regulated religion in future. You can hardly complain when that happens if you're one of the fools that kept mixing the two together.
    Lesson 3, the only thing more foolish than combining law and religion is believing that what a celebrity has to say is at all relevant. To anything. At all. Especially Justin Bieber. In the river of time, Bieber's a shiny piece of discarded foil bobbing on the surface for just a moment. Before long, a crow will pick him up and add him to its nest, and that's that.

February 18, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  19. C+

medical and biological science states that a cell is a living thing. the female egg is referred to, in science and medical classes in colleges everywhere in the world, as an egg CELL and sperms as a Sperm CELL. Biological and medical science also states that the two come together to form a complex LIVING organism at the time of conception.

All this are being taught by the biological and medical sciences in our colleges and universities.

February 18, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • Kent Allard

My toenail is a complex living thing. I fear I might be prosecuted if I trim it. Could young Mr. Bieber clarify for me please?

February 18, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • GeorgeInFL

By your logic we should never kill an onion? Or mold? These are also made of living cells.

February 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Steve

That is not quite true. To be living, a cell has to be able to create copy of itself. Neither the sperm cell nor the egg cell can create copy of themselves therefore they are not living. There are more like viral cells, particularly the sperm cell which effectively just inject its genetic material into the egg cell, just like a virus would do. Once the sperm is inside the egg, the cell at that moment can divide therefore it is living according to our definition of life. It is living like a bacteria is living, not any different. It will take a few days for the mass of cells to start working together at which point the life form starts resembling a microscopic worm. How much importance you put on this early life is a personal choice.

February 18, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • Dr. B. Good...

So, what you are essentially saying is... "Every Sperm is Sacred." – Monty Python from "The Meaning of Life"

February 18, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  20. Spaghetti monster

When I see this kid, I'm all for abortion.

February 18, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • RobA

Amen, I say, with sharply refined irony. 😀

February 18, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Truefax

I would support retroactive abortions if I was his parent.

February 18, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • K

Justin Beiber is an aborted turd.

February 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • MainEvent

haha, love it! Yeah who cares what this "KID" thinks about abortion. He has no idea about life or politics. Tell him to focus on his awful music and not on politics.

February 18, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • EPTX

LMAO! I agree

February 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • Kimberly

Seriously there is something wrong with you...that comment was completely distasteful! Grow up!

February 18, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • Gary Borner

You are one sick person who needs counseling

February 18, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • Chuck

Maybe your mother should have made a different choice given the stellar person you have become.

February 18, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • SKSK

Hey Justin....give us your thoughts

"I like pizza....and rainbows...riding my bike with my friends....and my favorite color is blue......oh..and anyone that has an abortion will burn in hell for eternity"

February 18, 2011 at 2:17 pm |