home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Matt Buckley

One of the last things on my list of concerns is whether or not Justin Bieber shares the same belief set as I do.

So many people are just using this as an excuse to get on a soap box.

February 18, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Victoria

AMEN, thank you!

February 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  2. RAD

Would all of you left-wing nut cases rather he lie to make everyone feel better? Bieber is being truthful about his beliefs and all of you are being mean-spirited about what he believes. I have an 18 year old granddaughter and she would tell you she believes the same thing about abortion and yes I agree with her. Since when did it become wrong to have your own beliefs? I didn't know that we all had follow like we were sheep and not think.

February 18, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  3. Compbl

Really its big breaking news when a 12 year old gives his opinion on something?? Really people need to focus on more important things. In a couple of years no one will know who this kid is...

February 18, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  4. MrsFizzy

Do grown-ups really take him that seriously that he deserves a "backlash"?? Interesting that his views on healthcare (which are actually "Christian") put him at odds with most conservatives in America but on abortion, at odds with Liberals. But not *that* interesting ...he is a 16 yr old boy for .... sake.

February 18, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  5. Doug

You know. if look at bands like Guns n' Roses, who would you rather have your kids modeling themselves after. At least this guy is up front about his faith, he's honest, and if you don't like what he has to say you don't have to buy his records. As far as Christians go, more and more Churches are stepping up and adopting unwanted children. Most mothers who abort really regret it, and more and more options for placing unplanned children in healthy homes exist today. It might be an abortion to you, but it is a child who has a right to live to many of us. It's really hard not to think that taking a life from the womb is not taking a life. Think about it, I'm just saying...

February 18, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  6. C+

I just want all of you to keep in mind that anyone of us could have been aborted at any time. I can only imagine if some mother aborted the person to cure cancer, or create the next piece of art, or even the person who could have helped fix the country's financial state! I know that there are some who say that there could be some serial killers, dictators, aborted too! To which I say you maybe right. But, I still say that it could have been me that was denied the right to live. As well as it could have been you. i resign the post with this question. how would you feel if your mother told you that she almost aborted you?

February 18, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  7. TGLAZ

I find it funny that so many people are saying, "he's just a kid, he can't possibly think for himself!" get over yourselves, he may be naive but it's better than those I mentioned above who are being ignorant.

February 18, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  8. Laura

Hi, we live in America. He can have an opinion. Oh wait, you disagree. Then it must be wrong.

February 18, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  9. john smith

a lot of uproar over what a 15 or 16 yr-old thinks of abortions.

February 18, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  10. David Johnson

@CNN

Guys! I really hate this part_itioning of the comments! Does it have to be this way?

Unhappy Athiest

February 18, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  11. EPTX

Christians are the worst!!! Kids need a non biast role model, not another trying to inflict beliefs that are from a millenia ago!!

February 18, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  12. donna

Anyone who argues that they ONLY support abortion in cases of non consent is saying that the unborn should be punished for the acts of their father.

February 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  13. Chris

Abortion is just a late plan for people who did not use birth control. Good for you Justin to have a belief system and not be swayed by a so called progressive media. God will honor you for it.

February 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  14. Matt

"I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that." Honestly this is a pretty mature opinion for a kid, I'm hardly a beiber fan, but you really can't give him crap for this.

February 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  15. thinkagain

Doesn't JB end his reply by saying that he has never been in that position so he really can't say anything. He gave the right answer given his moral beliefs. Give the kid a break. All that he is saying is that when he is rapped and pregnant ... then he will be in a position to respond to the whole abortion issue.

February 18, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  16. donna

Anyone who argues that they ONLY support abortion in cases of non consent, is saying that they think an unborn child should be punished for their father's actions.

February 18, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  17. Kenny

I wonder how he's gonna feel when he gets pregnant...it's quite obvious he's an annoying little girl, after all

February 18, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  18. Liqmaticus

I would hardly call his music Christian, but I am glad he is speaking up for his beliefs. Christ said the world would hate you for following Him.

February 18, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
  19. Sir Craig

Well, I guess Little Bieber just has ALL the answers, and at such a young age to boot! Anyone listening to this kid and thinking he has some kind of secret knowledge that no one else seems to have needs to understand he hasn't lived long enough to formulate an educated opinion about anything.

February 18, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  20. AggieCatholic

"John" and "Dukelaw" you should go slap your mothers in the face for being so ignorant as to have given birth to you...how dare they bring such filth into this world, you were just a bunch of cells..why on Earth would they waste so much time and money on you??? weirdd

your moms were Pro-Life, and that goes for all of you idiotic posters on here as well..hope yall open your eyes before your sand dial runs out.. hate to see where all the parasites go when met at the gates..

you the man Bieber!!

February 18, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • Maikalwolf

wow, how christian you folks are. First idolatry of beiber is a sin. Second idolatry of a woamn hater is also a sin. Idolatry of a no talent wannabe is also a sin. How simple things would be with no religious mongering in this world. How many lives would be saved but for religion.

February 18, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • Sir Craig

My mom was pro-choice, and she chose to have me. If she hadn't, I don't think I would have known it.

February 18, 2011 at 2:31 pm |