home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. bill

We'll see where he really stands on this issue when he gets a girl "knocked-up" and has to answer for it.

February 18, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  2. Tom

Listen to Bieber regarding abortion. Kids have a better understanding of what's right and wrong.

February 18, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • Observer

Yep. Ask Bristol Palin.

February 18, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  3. jon

The abortion debate will NEVER EVER die.

February 18, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  4. SC

I was not a Justin Bieber fan until today.

February 18, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  5. wr

Who the devil cares what this infant has to say?

February 18, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  6. Abort Bieber

He's practically an embryo himself, what does he know?

February 18, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  7. Kevin C

Comeo n he's a kid, why would that questiuon even be asked?

February 18, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  8. MNfatslady

One question. Why would any one interview a 16 y.o. boy that has no REAL life experience (to base any opinion on) regarding health care and abortion. Yes, he has a right to an opinion, but seriously would they ask any other 16 year old boy their opinion on these subjects? He can sing (?), he has a hair style, he has a cute smile. This does NOT qualify him to speak about these topics. Sing, then shut up and go home.

February 18, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  9. mee

It's too bad his mother didn't abort him.

February 18, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  10. Dan

CNN: please stop reporting on this crap and step back into the true news market. I'm sure there are a lot more pressing issues to publish than some flash in the pan's view on a controversial subject.

February 18, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  11. Pfft

Geez this kid's head is getting bigger and bigger every time I hear about him.

February 18, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  12. Ron B

Does anyone really care what a 16 year old twink who was created by the media people feels about abortion. There are thousands of replacements waiting to take his place. Making ANY comment that will allienate your fans is a stupid move. Remember what happened to Marky Mark......

February 18, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  13. HeCanHaveAnOpinion - EvenCorrect

Way to go JB.

February 18, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  14. k26

There's always a reason. This is why he didn't win. I knew there was something wrong with this kid not winning !! And now we know why. These left wing $#%6s are going to hound this poor kid and they are going to try and get to him. There going to put so pressure on this kid. It would look unseemly for the to go with an out right assault on him. No. He is going to have to read between the lines. And his so call roll models are probably going to try and influence him, too.

Any thoughts ?

February 18, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  15. Lynn

OK I hate this kid more than you know however I don't understand why he can't feel it's wrong. he didn't say anything about taking away the rights and he did say he's never been in the situation so what the heck now we can't have our own opinion. Personally it's one of the few things he's said that i didn't want throw-up after

February 18, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • Pfft

I totally agree he has the right to his own beliefs like anyone else, but when a kid makes a comment like "I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that." Is this implying that he judges people? What makes him so high and mighty?

February 18, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
  16. hia2u

ROFL.. getting abortion advice from a CHILD who doesn't even know what German means. GOOD ONE.

February 18, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  17. Bones

Anti-War. Pro-Abortion. It just doesn't make sense.

February 18, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • Eko

Pro-War Anti-Abortion. Makes no sense for these stupid conservatives

February 18, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  18. Scott

This is why is I ever, EVER gain any kind of celebrity, I'll never dicuss politics. As soon as you are known for a position you become toxic to half the country. No one wants to applaud your performance for fear they'll be seen as applauding your political views. Sad but true. Justin was asked about his beliefs and answered. Leave him be.

February 18, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  19. Michelle

Good for you Justin for standing up for what is right. Glad there are a few good people for teens to look up to in this world of moral decay.

February 18, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  20. ricky

When in helll did we start listening to a 13 year old kid!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Jeff

He's 16. Not 13. If you got a point to make about his age..at least get the age correct.

February 18, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Jen Johnson

rolling stones is terrible for asking a child those questions, shame on them, they set the poor kid up just to get readers/viewers

February 18, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Chris

Maybe we need to, in my 40+ years the adults haven't been doing that great of a job from what I see.

February 18, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Pfft

Exactly Ricky. 13 or 16 whatever. He's a kid and an egomaniac at that. He'll be on drugs and/or have knocked someone up – or maybe beat someone up soon. Just watch.

February 18, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • BertFromTexas

I never liked Justin ... until now! Way to go!

Liberals want to demolish family and church, so your only remaining allegiance is to the big totalitarian government that they envision. Don't give into their bullying! Hold on to your beliefs and tell liberals where to stick it.

February 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm |