home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. AMGperformance

Bieber, come on you are smarter than that. You are a superstar with all on america watching your every move, don't comment about your abortion views! Unless you want to devide your fans in half.

February 18, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  2. bro2044

whats funny is anyone on here telling ANYONE else what they should and shouldnt believe after having children. Its not your place to tell other people what they should and shouldnt believe, or when they come to the conclusion. Most of you saying this are pro-choice, yet you want other people to have a solid opinion and not change it based on experience.
    Experience has A LOT to do with personal opinion, and if someone else changes their opinion after having kids then that is their choice. You have yours.
    Bieber said his opinion, but didnt say "everyone else should believe this too" – it was just how he feels. He's young, maybe it will change, maybe it wont. He is allowed it tho, and he should no more be looked down on than anyone else with an opinion on the subject. At least he cares. Thats more than can be said about most Americans.
    "A baby is a parasite"?
    "No one cares about your kids but you"?
    Seriously people? Grow up.

February 18, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  3. nwvoice

He wasn't judging anyone in his comments, he was merely stating what HE believes. If any of you feel attacked maybe
    you need to re examine what you believe and why. Why is it that if anyone disagrees with pro choicers then they are
    verbally attacked and called names? Nobody is telling you what to do. CALM DOWN HATERS.

February 18, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
  4. WHY?

Why would anyone care about a teenage pop star's views towards abortion? He is not a politician or activist but a pop star.

February 18, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  5. Fiona

Does anyone else see the humor in his talking about planting a seed in his fans, and then speaking against the right to abort?

February 18, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  6. Mike M

I wish Bieber had been aborted. Is it too late?

February 18, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  7. Nancy

Why is this causing such a backlash? I personally don't care much for the kid, but does he not have a right to his opinion?

February 18, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
    • oakhill3

He does. But since it doesn't dovetail with what the majority of posters here think, he's being crucified for it. So much for freedom to form his own opinion and express it. Apparently that only counts if it matches what folks here think.

February 18, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  8. Stephanie

I feel that abortion should be a woman's decision for various reasons. I, myself, am Catholic and pro-choice. I also cannot say that if I were to become pregnant at a time in my life that I am not prepared, I wouldn't consider abortion myself. I'm well aware what my belief preaches on the issue, however I'm also aware that although preaching can change opinions, it can also scare women into.. oh, I don't know, leaving a baby in a toilet at a circus, maybe. Women who are talked out of abortions will find other ways out of taking care of something (or somebody) they don't want, and most of the time it's not pretty. And if she wants to abort before the child has a chance to learn it was hated and unwanted, I can't argue with that. I am adopted, my birth mother wanted to abort me, and I can honestly say it's nice that she didn't but if she had.. I wouldn't know, therefore I wouldn't have an opinion.

February 18, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  9. Will

It's pretty disgusting for a reporter to be asking a CHILD about abortion.

February 18, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  10. jmb2fly

Abortion is simply the sacrifice of our children to the god of self. It is wrong!

February 18, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  11. Robin D

Controversial belief. What exactly makes his belief that abortion is wrong controversial. Shouldn't it be the opposite that the belief that it is ok to kill a fetus, an unborn baby, wrong.

The arguement that a fetus is not yet human is logically indefensible. If the premiss that a fetus is not human then there is no need for;
    * a "Mother-to-be" (female) to be careful with what they eat, or drink, or what drugs they take. (We would have to strike the term Mother-to-be from the language.)
    * There is no need to have prenatal care check-ups, to be under a Doctor's care during pregnancy because it is just a foreign growth that can be removed for any reason.
    * There would be no reason for baby showers before birth as it's not a baby.
    * There would be no reason to have pregancy leave, maybe some type of short-term disability if the growth distorts the female to the point that it cannot work.
    * If an act of violence, or an accident, causes the miscarraige of a fetus. The suspect could not be charged with manslaughter or murder because it's not human.

I could continue ................but really. To end on a positive note for all those who do believe in abortion. Please call your Mother and thank her that she did not decide to abort the fetus that became you. 🙂

February 18, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • Bob Rock

It all depends on where and when you draw the line. It's a baby only when and if you want it to be. If you don't want the fetus, than it's just a fetus, a bunch of cells with human potential.

February 18, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • Brey

Actually Robin, if you'd truly care to hear my real opinion where your statements are concerned. My mother was a young mom, had me about 5 months before turning 18. And even to this day 23 years later, I question her as to why she didn't have an abortion? I told her that I (even at 23) am not at a point in my life where I could put my hopes, dreams and desires second to someone else's. I am pro-choice 100%. It is a woman's right and choice to make the decision that is best for her, point blank, period. And I don't agree with the agrument about when the embryo turns into a fetus because I think it's irrevelant. The only question I have to all the people who love to cry pro-life is...if for some reason the woman decides she can't go through with the abortion, how many of you will be present in the waiting room on delivery day offering to help her take care of that kid throughout the next 18 years? My guess since we live in an every man for himself society is not too many.

February 18, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  12. AK

Does anyone really care what this kid thinks about abortion? Stick to what you know kid....being mommy and daddy's little 401(k) plan until your career is over, which is hopefully soon.

February 18, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  13. mymaria

Wow. If he would have said "I'm all for abortion" who would be attacking him? Not the left. But because he's against it, they're coming out of the woodwork. Truth is truth, whether you believe it is or not. He is speaking the truth-deal with it.

February 18, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • Tyhouston

It's not his truth, it's the people who write his paychecks proof.
      IE Disney corp.
      Like Hanna Montana he's a actor every second of the day, but since Hanna Disney locked down and if he says something without their approval he'll get canned.

Justin BeBe is basicly not say Miley Cirus playing Hanna...

He is just Hanna, a 24 character roll with contracts not allowing him to be a person.

February 18, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • Brey

Just because it may be your truth does NOT mean that it's the gospel. And he is too young and too naive to have an opinion about such a topic. Not to mention the fact that he will never know what it is like to bore a child. And again, I love how those who are pro-life also typically tend to be anti-welfare...seems a bit contradictory eh??

February 18, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • markb3699

Do you really know the truth? Ever change your mind about something? Is "Jesus is the Lord" the truth? Or is Buddha the truth? The point is that there is no "Truth," only truth for you. The truth for me is that it is very offensive when people of other faiths try to tell everyone else what the truth is.

February 18, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • sweet2th

I agree mymaria. Truth is truth no matter who is telling it.

February 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  14. Tyhouston

Snicker....ga...bahahahahaha
    Seriously? Is someone out there...in the HUMAN race. On the fence about abortion and needs JUSTIN BEBE to give them the nudge to one side or the other?

Wow...if you are. Don't breed we have enough people like you plugging hair dryers in while taking showers and putting warnings on everything like "Screwdriver do not stick into eye socket."

February 18, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  15. SusieQ

Who cares what this young boy says? He is not old enough to have real life experiences to form serious opinions about serious issues. He is pandering about a topic he doesn't truly understand.

February 18, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • sweet2th

Just because he is 16 doesn't mean that his view point dosen't matter. I know some children younger than him who are more intelligent than some adults I meet. And dosen't he have a right to have an opinion like the rest of us. If it is raining and he says "it's raining" does that mean it isn't true just because he is 16.

February 18, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
  16. Crotty16

For reals?!!! First of all, are you all really commenting on what Justin Bieber's take on anything is!!! That's like calling out the Cookie Monster for not taking a stand on child obesity. After his take on government and commenting that he: "didn't really have any political affiliation, but whatever they have in Korea is bad". I think that's when all of you should realize that it's a 16 year old kid talking, not Jesus.

February 18, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • TK

Cookie monster has come out on childhood obesity.

February 18, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  17. Brian Gardner

For Christ's sake, he's only 16!!! Obviously he is just going to spit out whatever his parents, pastor, and others around him say. He has seen a lot of the world, but he hasn't experienced much of it. He has barely had a chance to live a normal life let alone being faced with difficult questions and actually weighing the pros and cons of each viewpoint.

February 18, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • Jye75

Yes! That was entirely my point on pg 1!

February 18, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • Bob Rock

Religious beliefs are a matter of brainwashing, not reason, maturity, or the freedom of the speech. Pure and simple. If you have believes not based on reason, facts, evidence an probability, than you believe in nonsense and you are nothing but a brainwashed fool. It's a sad statement about this kids upbringing!

February 18, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  18. SusieQ

Who cares what he thinks? He is not old enough to have real life experiences to help him form serious opinions about serious issues. He is pandering about a topic he doesn't understand.

February 18, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • Josh

There is day of reckoning for all evil committed unless you choose to repent. It's quite simple!

February 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • Anon

he also has a pen is, which means he will NEVER experience the pain and overwhelming sense of fear that a woman who is faced with abortion feels.

February 18, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  19. Corey

Yet another reason to hate this kid..

February 18, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  20. terance

Hypocrites!

February 18, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • Brey

I couldn't agree with you more...they are the worst bunch of hypocrites. Get a life and stop worrying about what choice a woman makes concerning her own body.

February 18, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • Steve the real one

terance
      Have ya ever noticed the pro life crowd is strangely against welfare? Right. You only support "life" until the baby actually gets a birth certificate. Hypocrites!
      ----–
      Since you seem to know, do we hate welfare or the abuse of welfare? Let me know because you seem to know what I know!

February 18, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • mike hunt

thats a tired talking point. we dont believe in killing the unborn, nor do we believe in killing the born. supporting someone with welfare is a different thing all together.

February 18, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • JOhnW

I love it. I can't wait to use this!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • John

I am against abortion but my way of dealing with it is to seek to help women find alternatives. I am not against welfare. I think we need to be careful not to paint all people on either side of this issue with a broad brush. Why can we not allow people to disagree with us without attacking them.

February 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • B.F.

Against welfare???? What have you been smoking???? Just because we don't like government sponsored (socialistic) handouts to couch poatatoes who are too lazy to go out and find a job and purpose in their lives, does not mean we are against helping those who are truly in need of material goods or monetary goods through no fault of their own. Man do you have it wrong. What's hypocritical is those of you who complain we pro-lifers hate welfare, but you won't lift a finger or give dollar one yourselves to help the poor and the needy. It is the pro-lifers, men and women of faith who give out most of their personal wealth and time to the poor.

February 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm |