home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Noel

Wow... that took a lot of courage!!! Suddenly I am a fan!!

February 18, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • bliss

I agree with you, but I'm still not a fan. I do have to give him credit for voicing his opinion!!! especially considering the comments on this website!! Some people just need to grow up!

February 18, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  2. me

What a great example for our young people! I hope he can stay with his Christian beliefs and remain a good example. You people don't get this upset about the young stars that set HORRIBLE examples for our young people. You go Justin!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  3. JustSayin'

I bet his views change quickly if he gets his 19-year-old girlfriend pregnant.

February 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  4. Andrew

I'm a pro choice , liberal, 42 year old who doesnt really even know who this little squirt is, but ill tell ya one thing:
    He has the right to whatever belief he wants to hold.

February 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  5. FrankLee

Since when is being anti-abortion controversial?? Especially considering probably 50% of this country's population feels the same. Interesting editorial spin, HLN. No doubt which side YOU"RE on.

February 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  6. kevin

he's 16. a) why are we asking him these questions? he's 16!!
    b) what the hell does he know? he's 16!
    c)HE'S 16!!

this is a pathetic attempt at getting press and we are giving it to him. siiiigh.

February 18, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • MrsFizzy

My thoughts exactly.... why even ask him?

February 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  7. SCOTO

Couldnt care less what Justin Bieber thinks about anything

February 18, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  8. bliss

I think everyone has the right to their own opinion, why does everyone think that others should believe the same. It is just stupid. Several posts say hes just saying what his parents believe, but if you had parents that cared about you at all they probably instilled feelings and beliefs that you hang on to today. I have beliefs that are carried on from my parents and they carried them from their parents. I feel that abortion is wrong, but i feel its something that each person has to decide for themselves and God. yes I do believe in God, Im not fanatical about it, but again religion is something that was instilled in me by my parents. Its not a bad thing to believe in things your parents believed in. I dont know why people cant understand that he has the right to his own opinions and beliefs even if they came from his parents.

February 18, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  9. Normon

Abortion should be allowed (possibly encouraged) at any time before it becomes a person, which is around 21 years of age.

February 18, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • bliss

Norman – thats very funny. Being the mother of 3 teenage girls i can understand that!!!

February 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  10. loveandpeace

Why is it wrong to say innocent babies should be protected? They cannot protect themselves, but many people act like they don't matter.

February 18, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  11. bayoujet

I am as pro-choice as any male can be. I am also as anti-Bieber (music) as any PERSON can be. However, if he wants express his views, he has every right, even though he is Canadian. (Just kidding Hosers) He is a kid, who is clearly being manipulated and those around him are raking in millions. He can say what he wants. If you don't like him as a role model, there is always Lindsey Lohan to idolize.

February 18, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • Jared

Heheeee, as a true Canadian, I appreciate your sense of humor.

I also agree with you 100%.

Thinks it's time we all got off our high horses.

February 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • bliss

I agree with most of what you said except him being manipulating in his beliefs. Again, we quite often belief what our parents teach us. Thats not manipulation, its just what we believe based on our upbringing. You cant tell me that you disagree with everything your parents taught you!

February 18, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  12. Pomass

Those of you who think that the only Christians in existence are indoctrinated from birth are wrong. There are many who come to Christ as adults. Personally I think he was brave to speak about his beliefs at all considering all the hateful people who willing to attack him for it. As Christians though, we are compelled by the bibles teaching to state ours beliefs . Let him be his Christian self.

February 18, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  13. Vistoria Heckel

The mind justifies what the heart has chosen.

February 18, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  14. matt

He's a 16 year old boy that is pro-life, so what? Those are his views and it doesn't make him right or wrong. Personally I'm pro-choice more or less because I think it's the lesser of two evils but I still respect his beliefs, because at the end of the day who am I to decide what is truly right or wrong?

February 18, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  15. Zach

Who cares what some 16-year old punk kid thinks about abortion??? I'm surprised he knows what the word means!

February 18, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • Noel

Bieber is not punk.

February 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  16. Jared

Seriously? He is not a young man, he is a child. He is 16 years old and quite frankly is living in a bubble.
    He probably has no idea what his beliefs will be when he is a young man, an adult. I think it is quite stupid that this is even newsworthy, why print it, why worry about it? Does it impact any of our lives at the end of the day? I think not.
    Let's be the adults here and move on. I betcha he will be told going forward to keep his mouth shut on any contraversy and I bet Mommy will be hiring a personal coach to aid in how to answer questions like an "adult".

I think we all have better things to worry about so let's move on.......

February 18, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • John

Yea – don't print anything unless it is line with what I think!

February 18, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  17. Angie

God bless you, Justin, you may just be 16 but you are a true star! Please don't let this cynical world change you. Pity those who made all these negative comments for they have no love in their hearts and are probably jealous of your honesty. This unjust bashing will only serve to make you shine and be respected.

February 18, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Amen.

February 18, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • Daymon

What a joke! You are a joke, Beibernuts is a joke, and his fanbase is a joke. Kids know nothing about real issues. Stick to bubblegum and 16 year old girl poster cutouts you ape turd, and stop trying to have veiws about things you know absolutely nothing about. Pre-emptive comment to any Beiber fan who is gonna cry about this comment: Save it, You are dumb and useless in life. "But, but Daymon, you don't know Justin, he cares for everyone and blah blah blah". UGGGHHH GAY!

February 18, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  18. Jess

That's what this world needs....another 16 year old boy who has yet to live life thinking he's the head of the moral high ground. Give me a break!

February 18, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • castedmars

The kid is asked a touchy question and he gives an answer based on his own opinions and beliefs. What the hell is wrong with that?

February 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • Eric

Give me a break. They asked, he answered. If you don't care, why did you bother to respond? Even a sixteen year old can have an opinion.

February 18, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • Bobby

Really? Moral high group? He said that HE doesn't believe in it himself, but that he hasn't ever been in that position so he couldn't judge anyone. I don't understand how you think he feels he is morally superior to anyone. Much less, he is 16. They asked him the question, which really...why are they asking a 16 year old boy that, but why does it matter so much? At least he was honest.

February 18, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • bliss

Jess – just because he has an opinion on this matter doesnt mean hes looking down on someone like you. By the way, do you feel that insecure that you feel that his opinion is the moral high ground? and what does that say about people that disagree with him?

February 18, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  19. Wallster

The Bieber is a talented youngster but no matter how hard he tries, he can never ever get pregnant. I guess it really doesn't matter what he thinks about abortion.

February 18, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • Elizabeth

Yes, but his mother did and if she had gotten an abortion Justin would have been murdered before birth. Your mom thank God allowed you to be born as well.

February 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • MrsFizzy

And then, Elizabeth the whole thing would be a moot point....it's not much more than that now.

February 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • cynix

Talented? Really? Talented?
      And what 16 year old knows anything about the real world these days?

February 18, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  20. whiskeyjack3

why does anyone care what a 16 year old boy thinks?

February 18, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • Munky

Sadly millions of young, impressionable minds do. Have you seen 'Jesus Camp'? Absolutely deplorable.

February 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • Just a thought

Perhaps all the tweens that have Bieber Fever will make their own informed choices. Abstinence is 100% a sure thing in pregnancy prevention.

February 18, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • HeavenSent

whiskeyjack3, Adults care because he's part of the generation that will be involved soon in running this country via work, voting, paying taxes and regular day to day activities.

Just because he's a teenager now, doesn't mean he'll soon become a man.

Sounds to me, he's responsible for his thoughts, words, deeds now he will then be as responsible when he becomes a man.

February 18, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • Eric

@Munky – What the hell does Jesus Camp have to do with it? I've got news for you...not all Christians are like Jesus Camp Christians. I am an atheist btw.

February 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • bliss

Munky – I'm a christian and I have no idea what your talking about when you reference Jesus Camp. Not everyone is the same stop classifing everyone that believes in God as being some kind of freak! Its sad that you must not have anything in your life to look forward to if you can only condemn others for their beliefs and opinions.

February 18, 2011 at 3:28 pm |