home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Mercfan

I have been praying for the Beiber Backlash, but not because of this topic – beause he is a phony. He had a fan contest last year and a terminally ill teen won by getting the most Facebook votes. He blew her off by not showing up and she was crushed emontionally. How could someone be so cold. Please join the Backlash. On a side note, why would Rolling Stone even ask him this question.

February 18, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  2. Cathy Scott Pollard

Leave him alone! he has his opinion, GOOD for him!
    At the beginning of time, 2 types of people were present.
    Both worshiping G-d. One on his terms, the other on G-d's terms.
    One rose up and "slew" the other, (why? Jealousy?).
    So it is written in Daniel and the Revelation, it will be in the end,
    Two types of people.... one ready to kill the other over matters of conscience!
    Shut-up and let his conscience speak to him, thank him for sharing, and go study to see if this thing is true!

February 18, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  3. steven harnack

Just goes to show that a lot of sheep wind up in uniform. I would think that if anything would make you question the existence of gods it would be the sight of humans trying to kill each other and the deaths of innocent civilians. But then pro-life never seems to last beyond birth.

February 18, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • Cedar Tree

I view it differently: the deaths we see in war, etc. are evidence of sin. The fact that it bothers you (and me) is evidence of God and absolute morality.

February 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Obviously steven harnack, you've never read God's truth (the Bible).

Here's what God tells us to do in times of war ...

144:1 Blessed [be] the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, [and] my fingers to fight:

Psalms 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and [he] in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalms 144:3 LORD, what [is] man, that thou takest knowledge of him! [or] the son of man, that thou makest account of him!

Psalms 144:4 Man is like to vanity: his days [are] as a shadow that passeth away.

Psalms 144:5 Bow thy heavens, O LORD, and come down: touch the mountains, and they shall smoke.

Psalms 144:6 Cast forth lightning, and scatter them: shoot out thine arrows, and destroy them.

Psalms 144:7 Send thine hand from above; rid me, and deliver me out of great waters, from the hand of strange children;

Psalms 144:8 Whose mouth speaketh vanity, and their right hand [is] a right hand of falsehood.

Psalms 144:9 I will sing a new song unto thee, O God: upon a psaltery [and] an instrument of ten strings will I sing praises unto thee.

Psalms 144:10 [It is he] that giveth salvation unto kings: who delivereth David his servant from the hurtful sword.

Psalms 144:11 Rid me, and deliver me from the hand of strange children, whose mouth speaketh vanity, and their right hand [is] a right hand of falsehood:

Psalms 144:12 That our sons [may be] as plants grown up in their youth; [that] our daughters [may be] as corner stones, polished [after] the similitude of a palace:

Psalms 144:13 [That] our garners [may be] full, affording all manner of store: [that] our sheep may bring forth thousands and ten thousands in our streets:

Psalms 144:14 [That] our oxen [may be] strong to labour; [that there be] no breaking in, nor going out; that [there be] no complaining in our streets.

Psalms 144:15 Happy [is that] people, that is in such a case: [yea], happy [is that] people, whose God [is] the LORD.

February 18, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  4. billnold

Where is the "backlash"? Unless the author can show proof that Bieber's anti-abortion comments have damaged his popularity, the author of this libelous piece should be disciplined.

February 18, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • HeavenSent

billnold, it's just the MIZZIES (miserable people) babbling their nonsense ...

February 18, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  5. David

I know this will sound odd, but I am likely an abortion survivor. I was born in 1965 in Savannah, Georgia to a single woman that worked at a church. To have gotten pregnant out of wedlock in the south in 1965 while working at a church is the perfect situation to have an abortion and pretend you never got pregnant. I thank God every day that my biological mother gave birth to me and put me up for adoption. I am sure that my two sons greatly appreciate her dedication to life and the sacrifice she made. In my view any abortion that is not medically necessary is killing an individual and all of their future off-spring. What is the future inventor of the cure for cancer was killed by an abortion? Life is precious and an gift from God. It should never be cut short. I could never comprehend terminating the life of a child that I had created. Thank God my mother felt the same way. Think of the number of lives created by my mother not having an abortion. Abortion is the "slippery slope" that leads to no value being placed upon life. Treat the creation of life in a woman as a ture gift from God our Creator. A man and a woman can taste what God is all about, creating and nuturing Life and above all LOVE!

February 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • CatholicMom

David,

Thank you for your story! I think there are becoming more and more like you! Thank God! People are choosing life over death for their babies and statistics show it!

I am concerned about other abortion survivors…those that are pulled from the womb and left on the tray or thrown in the trash that are alive and fighting to have their right to life….I hope we as a nation wake up to the atrocities that are happening due to enacting a man-made law to over-ride God’s law of love and life.

February 18, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Thank you David for all the future babies that have a right to be born into this world.

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

God Bless you, your children, future generations of children and your biological mother for loving our Lord.

February 18, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
  6. sparky

Good Lord, idiots are getting their panties in a wad over something a 13 year old said

February 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • Sarah Dougherty

He's 17.

February 18, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Could it be that he's making them THINK?

February 18, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  7. flossmore

What does anybody care what this kid thinks? Don't want to hear you sing like a 12 year old girl scout either.

February 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  8. emdub

Palin Bieber 2012

February 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  9. emdub

Plain Bieber 2012

February 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  10. JC

Why not? At what age are you allowed an opinion? Free Speech and a brain? Didn't realize there were a series of conditions before being allowed to think....intelligently and courageously BTW

February 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  11. one for all

I don't see how anyone could define the beginning of life any differently than the moment of conception. Having said that not allowing a person to have no control for an unwanted pregnancy is an unpractable constraint for people living in these times. We have jobs. We have familys to take care of. When terminations were illegal the situation was worse just like in prohibition. Idealism cannot survive short term. We must allow abortions isnsome form so people can have some degree of control over a life changing disaster until there is a technological solution that allows us to have both. I wonder how many abortion opponents have had one.

February 18, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • HeavenSent

God giveth life and God taketh away. NOT man/woman.

Genesis 3:13
      13 And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat ['akal].

eat: Hebrew word #398 'akal (aw-kal'); a primitive root; to eat (literally or figuratively): KJV – at all, burn up, consume, devour (-er, up), dine, eat (-er, up), feed (with), food, freely, in ... wise (-deed, plenty), (lay) meat, quite.

Proverbs 30:20
      20 Such is the way of an adulterous woman; she eateth ['akal], and wipeth her mouth, and saith, I have done no wickedness.

After the deed is done, they just walk away and act like nothing happened? Shoving consciousness on the back burners of life. Yes, that is the ways of man/woman's thinking, believing, doing by not reading God's truth in the Bible.

May God have mercy on everyone's souls.

February 18, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  12. Zaphod2000

Who cares what this spoiled kid says. We won't even remember who he is in a few years. He is today's mop head. Maybe he can hook up with the new resident of AZ (or as she is known ms. Celibacy with her living in boyfriend). What a trio!!!

February 18, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Zaphod2000, why could you care less about what Justin says? Could it be He opposes the lies you believe?

February 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  13. Rgrau

don't mess with the libs and their right to kill babies

February 18, 2011 at 3:10 pm |

God's truth as told by Jeremiah 5:23-31

23 But this people hath a revolting and a rebellious heart; they are revolted and gone.

24 Neither say they in their heart, Let us now fear the LORD our God, that giveth rain, both the former and the latter, in his season: he reserveth unto us the appointed weeks of the harvest.

25 Your iniquities have turned away these things, and your sins have withholden good things from you.

26 For among my people are found wicked men: they lay wait, as he that setteth snares; they set a trap, they catch men.

27 As a cage is full of birds, so are their houses full of deceit: therefore they are become great, and waxen rich.

28 They are waxen fat, they shine: yea, they overpass the deeds of the wicked: they judge not the cause, the cause of the fatherless, yet they prosper; and the right of the needy do they not judge.

29 Shall I not visit for these things? saith the LORD: shall not my soul be avenged on such a nation as this?

30 A wonderful and horrible thing is committed in the land;

31 The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and my people love to have it so : and what will ye do in the end thereof?

Amen.

February 18, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  14. toby

Beiber believes in the same god that his parents taught (read: indoctrinated) him to believe in. There is very credible evidence to suggest that most people of faith believe in the god and religion of their culture. If there is any good reason to doubt the veracity of one faith or deity over another, it is this most disturbing fact. Is there a god? I do not know. But I do know that Justin doesn't know either-he only CLAIMS to know. As religion is simply another form of comforting entertainment and "make believe", I do find it appropriate that Beiber can be a mouthpiece for his god of choice. Peace.

February 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • Standing Up

Your beliefs are obvious, and I'm not going to argue with them. However, I will say that the God that Christians worship IS knowable. It's not a matter of belief or dogma or doing the "right" things, it's a relationship. He knows us and we know Him. And I know you have no idea what I'm talking about. Doesn't make it less true.

And regardless of if you believe he was "brainwashed" or not, it takes courage to stand up and say that, knowing for a fact that people like you all will come out and vilify him for it. It's not a popular stance. Christianity isn't popular. So if you (and this is a general "you") are saying you believe in tolerance and mutual respect of other's beliefs...stop slamming people who have different beliefs!

February 18, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Cedar Tree

Hey Toby - you don't sound brainwashed yourself at all.

February 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • HeavenSent

toby, reading your statement makes me believe that you are very young and don't know His truth. I haven't a clue why the last few generations jump on each others bandwagons going against God's truth, but you do. Talk about being brainwashed ... the spiritually walking dead previous generation ensuring the next few generations to be as spiritual dead as you all walk among us. In short, it's the blind leading the blind.

There's a reason your ancestors read God's truth and handed it down to generation after generation ... until, one of the adult children(s) became too lazy to attend church, never mind pick up their Bible and read His truth and you happen to come from that line of the lazy person.

Romans 1:1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called [to be] an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,

Romans 1:2 (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)

Romans 1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;

Romans 1:4 And declared [to be] the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:

Romans 1:5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:

Romans 1:6 Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ:

Romans 1:7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called [to be] saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.

Romans 1:9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;

Romans 1:10 Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you.

Romans 1:11 For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;

Romans 1:12 That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.

Romans 1:13 Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles.

Romans 1:14 I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise.

Romans 1:15 So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

Romans 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed [it] unto them.

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Romans 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

Romans 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

Romans 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Romans 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

Romans 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Romans 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

Romans 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

Romans 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

Romans 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

February 18, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  15. JC

This "kid" showed more strength and character than 90% of the adults I know in this politically correct, sugar coated goofy world! As a man of Faith, I applaud his courage in a world in which Christianity is bashed all too often. Why would anyone care what a 16 year old kid says? Because he is a child of his Faith, takes a stand, regardless of the potential fallout and he makes being "good" cool. Its easy to be "bad", takes no effort at all....try following rules...any rules....much harder. Way to go kid.

February 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • AACK

This 'Child of Faith' is nothing more than a kid that has been brainwashed from infancy by his parents and parrots their beliefs. Don't try to give him some type of Holy status. He never had a chance to view opposing viewpoints without being automatically biased. It's very sad.

February 18, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • Cedar Tree

Yep - and children of atheists are always taught to be open-minded.

February 18, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • AACK

I'm not an athiest, more of an agnostic. I admit that I don't know. I don't go to church, but my 7 year old does. I teach him to be respectful of other people's beliefs. I will try to find an athiest and ask how they do it...

February 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • CatholicMom

AACK,
      At his age he has probably seen a number of his classmates go through abortion and sees the torment of it and the atrocity of it and now knows that abortion is murder.

February 18, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Cedar Tree

Thanks for sharing that AACK. If you're interested, I can point you to 2 or 3 books that might help you think through your position as an agnostic – not to offend you, but just to consider stuff from another viewpoint. (Sorry, I posted this in the wrong spot above).

February 18, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • HeavenSent

AACK, you are very sad because of being kidnapped by your own EGO which means Erase God Out buying into any/all propaganda of this world.

Try reading Truth (the Bible) so your own brainwashing will vanish.

It's never to late to read His truth to why we are here and where we go after we leave this world (the hereafter). Life is a test from God. I hope you pass with flying colors after you let go of your man made ego aka sin of PRIDE which makes one think they know what they are believing, hence talking about!

Peace.

February 18, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  16. AACK

my OPINION is that intelligent life starts when a being recognizes its own existence. A blade of grass doesn't know it's alive. Up until some point...don't know when, I'm not a dr or scientist...a human isn't aware of their own existence either. In that time, when it has no more intelligence and awareness than a piece of grass, an abortion is an option in my OPINION. What would the population and condition of the U.S. be in if noone ever had an abortion? I'm thinking it wouldn't be nice.

February 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • Obvious

That's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. MOST of our nation's history has been characterized by the illegality of abortions. Also, it's incredibly idiotic and entirely ungrounded in fact to say intelligent life doesn't exist in the womb. If someone doesn't abort because they think it's an evil thing to terminate human life, why would anyone be upset about that!?

February 18, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • Cedar Tree

You haven't done your homework I see. You really believe a plant isn't alive? Do you KNOW you exist when you sleep? If you're in a coma, or drank too much and got knocked out, do you KNOW you exist then? And if you really want to philosophize, how do I KNOW that you KNOW you exist. If I assume that you are just randomly uttering sounds, like leaves moving around, I could assume then that you are not alive. And if you think we're economically stronger because of abortion, reconsider the major debt this country will face as baby boomers retire, take on Social Security, and there aren't enough young people to work and earn money to pay those benefits.

February 18, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • 29NPark

When human beings begin to realize they exist is controversial. Is it reasonable to say a 5-day old infant doesn't know it exists as a human as you say? If so then one could abort that infant even after it was birthed. What about mentally handicapped who aren't aware of their existence? Could one in good faith euthanize them if they became a burden?

February 18, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • AACK

Really? With an approximate 46 million abortions since 1973 I don't think that illegality is a defining characteristic of the U.S. Now imagine those 46 million people having 20 million kids and maybe 1 or 2 million grandkids. Sounds like it would be a bit more stressful on the economy. And as for no intelligence within the womb, I didn't say that the whole incubation period was without self awareness. I said that at some point, and I dont know when, the mass of globulous cells is not aware or intelligent. And at that time it's my OPINION that an abortion is viable.

February 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Cedar Tree

First off, the natural resources of this world can support a LOT more life. Second, let's say you're right. So I guess aborting babies comes down to money. Thanks for revealing your hand.

February 18, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Thackerie

I think what you're really advocating is that abortion should be safe and legal up until the time the fetus has developed a nervous system that is capable of sensation (about the 5th-6th month of pregnancy), and I agree. Don't be put off my OBVIOUS anti-choicers who probably are as ignorant of basic biology as they are of our nation's history.

As for Bieber, I couldn't care less what he believes. But I do agree with his statement (must have slipped out accidentally) that he hasn't been in that position so he can't judge. That's right, Little Justin, Judge Not. (That's in that big old book that so many of your ilk never actually read.)

February 18, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • Cedar Tree

Basic biology? You do realize that historically, and even in modern science, no one seriously questions that the fetus (baby by the way) is alive? I can find you plenty of quotes from extreme pro-choicers who admit the baby is alive, but they elevate the mother's choice above that. English common law viewed murder of a fetus as just that - murder. Many states still do. And you can go back 1,000s of years for the same story in the laws of ancient civiliations. So, I think pro-choicers have a vested interest in trying to prove the baby is not alive. I think if you asked a 2 or 3-year old whether what's in mommmy's belly is alive or not, they would say yes. That's because they haven't yet been brainwashed by Planned Parenthood.

February 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • Cedar Tree

Thanks for sharing that AACK. If you're interested, I can point you to 2 or 3 books that might help you think through your position as an agnostic - not to offend you, but just to consider stuff from another viewpoint.

February 18, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • HeavenSent

God's truth for those that don't know what He wrote via divine inspiration to mortal men so that we'd know His truth versus man's lies.

41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost

Luke 1:41

5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

Jeremiah 1:5

February 18, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  17. rene

Can't anyone have their own opinion anymore? Give him a break...

February 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • Ellen

This is 21st Century America. No independent thought allowed. Welfare and free healthcare to all illegal immigrants, limitless abortions, and gay marriages for all. Anyone who says otherwise is raked over the coals and a campaign to assassinate their character is put into immediate action. I'm surprised this kid's 15 minutes isn't up yet since he's already committed PC sin #1; being and Christian AND telling people you're a Christian.

February 18, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • Ficheye

Boy, Ellen you have some serious issues. Why don't you tell us what you REALLY think?

February 18, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • Cedar Tree

Aren't you proving Ellen's point? She can't tell you what she really thinks without being mocked.

February 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • HeavenSent

So far, Justin is a good teenager about to come into manhood. I hope most of his generation follow his lead and become responsible for their thoughts, words, deeds.

February 18, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • Ficheye

Cedar Tree: And, of course, I should receive the exact same treatment, right? Ellen is mocking everything she doesn't like. My posts didn't start from that position, and I never mentioned abortion either. I have a right to say that there are too many people in a polite way. What I received was abuse and scorn. I don't think you can figure this one out. It's way too deep for you. Just read that bible of yours and find the 'truth' within. Try to be happy, hmmmm?

February 18, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Cedar Tree

I guess we disagree: I mean you no harm, but I'm not sure one can say "there's too many people" politely. Kind of like Hitler saying, "You know, there's too many Jews. Now, how about a cup of tea?"

February 18, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • Ficheye

Yes, we disagree and I'm glad to hear you say that it's OK.

The comparison to Hitler was somewhat unnecessary and far reaching. As a non-christian I forgive you. Hitler hated the Jews and wanted them dead. My point of view isn't even close to that. There's nothing wrong with saying there are too many people. There are many christians who realize this as well. Procreating mindlessly until theres nothing left to live on and live for... I guess that's where armageddon comes in? But that's nothing but a natural Jungian response to the clear logic that if something keeps growing forever it will eventually run out of room. I stand firm with my opinion. No one should die. But, oddly, people are already dying because of overpopulation and scarcity of resources. Sadly, if you are a christian you may have convinced yourself to stop thinking about this long, long ago.

February 18, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  18. Obvious

So I guess people are saying that it would be a "bad" thing if adolescents began getting less abortions because of Bieber's comments? That's ridiculous. If one human life is saved because of that comment, tell that child what you would have rather seen happen.

February 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • JC

Maybe he is simply advocating Personal Responsibility? Unpopular I know but....wow, what an interesting concept.

February 18, 2011 at 3:11 pm |

Amen JC.

Amen.

February 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  19. Ficheye

Humans will never reach a consensus on this issue. Never. As we die in wars related to resource acquisition we will never admit, even at the end, that we procreated ourselves into oblivion. Every time I find out someone has 5 or even 8 children I know that that person is completely oblivious tho the world around them and in their self centered journey to happiness they have made the world just a little less for everyone else. Overpopulation fuels our troubles.

February 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • DJCowboy

I bet you're a hit at parties

February 18, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • Cedar Tree

Fascinating and insightful comment. And yet, coincidentally, you have no problem whatsoever with yourself existing. What are the chances?

February 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Ficheye,
      So you think that now that you are born…to heck with anyone else that is conceived!

Maybe you should get a job at a kennel. You would see that even though we are trying to keep the pet population down, kennels don’t kill puppies in their mother’s womb.

February 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • r schier

You are spot on. What a stupid argument it is, to state "you exist" blah blah......we
      all had no say in the matter. We DO have a say on attempting to rescue what's left
      of this finite place, for those that follow us. Yes, people who choose the career of
      spitting out annual babies for their entire reproductive lives, are indeed oblivious......

February 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • r schier

"CatholicMom"

BOY.....doesn't that say it all !!! hahahahaha

February 18, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • Cedar Tree

Here's some more blah, blah for you: if you really believe what you say, then lead by example and remove yourself from existence. But you won't. Because you believe you have a right to life. A right that you won't give to others. I always love when people say we should let nature / evolution take it's course, blah, blah. And yet, if people having children is a part of nature (and it is - if you need some Biology 101 lessons, let me know), they get all uptight about it.

February 18, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • Ficheye

Just like I said, humans are incapable of seeing the problems. Most of the responses are from just such people. And I AM a hit at parties, oddly enough. As far as my existence... that's a funny one. There's no way I could tell my mother not to have me, was there? And I don't plan on having children myself. It's a circular argument with no answer, exactly the place you would want to go it you can't logically address the question. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

February 18, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Cedar Tree

Like I said above, why don't people with your viewpoint lead by example and take themselves out? Don't get all "I have no choice now" on me. You do have a choice and you exercise it everyday. But you won't allow others to do the same with whether or not they have babies.

February 18, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • Ficheye

Oh, Cedar tree... I never opined about the rightness and wrongness of the issue. Just that we will never reach a consensus. If you can't read those words without taking offense you have issues. I am saying that we need to work on our obliviousness, you are saying I should kill myself. Your viewpoint is ridiculous. Again, the fetus is a holy thing, not to be tampered with, but adults should die in misery because they get what they deserve. A juvenile point of view, to say the least. I have no doubt that you will have more to say.

February 18, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • HeavenSent

According to the nonsense babble of the Ficheye.

Ficheye, who cares what man says or thinks. Luke told us God's truth ...

Luke 1:41

Amen.

February 18, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Ficheye, every time you open your mouth and spew your nonsense, think about IF your parents believed in the same baloney as you? Would they have done differently at the time of your conception if their beliefs were as yours?

I hope you are shuddering in your boots now, knowing thank God, your parents didn't and still don't believe the way you believe.

And your babble mindset will continue until you get off your lazy butt, open up the Bible and read God's truth.

February 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Ficheye

Right, crazy person. And the bible was written by people who thought the earth was flat. And it has over 400 direct contradictions in it as well.

There are too many people. Period. Whatever you think about me is inconsequential. I never have to come back and read the mindless drivel posted by the procreation movement. You have to deal with it when your children can't get jobs. But people can't address the issue. The name calling and negativity commences right away, usually from 'good christian people'. It's always a hilarious exercise in hypocrisy. 'I love my fellow man... until they do something I don't like... then I tell them to go kill themselves'. In fact, I never even said anything about abortion, either. Just that there are too many people. But actually reading someones post has gone out of style... just like common sense.

February 18, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • Cedar Tree

Ficheye - I don't mind an argument based on facts. But rumors? In what is probably the OLDEST book of the Bible (Job, not Genesis), the earth is spoken of as a circle. WAY before the Greeks realized the earth is probably a sphere. And for all our modernity, even we speak of the Sun rising and setting (not the earth revolving). And as for the "contradictions" in the Bible, have you actually considered that most of these are resolvable. Leaving a few minor contradictions that, as a percentage of the volume of the Bible, is a miniscule percentage. What you seem to be ignoring is that the Bible was written over thousand of years by dozens of human authors, and yet it has so few contradictions. Unlike, say, other religious books, many of whom were written by just 1 or a few authors, over a much shorter time-period. Again, let's argue over facts, not what you've been seemingly taught to believe.

February 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  20. mtam

February 18, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • MIke

"That stupid, ignorant reporter had no business asking a "child" a question about abortion!!!!"

So, they're old enough to choose abortion but they're not old enough to talk about it?

February 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • CatholicMom

mtam,

Is your conscience bothering you? You thought it wasn’t going to come up again? There is help for those who are sorry for having had an abortion; God still loves you; talk to a Priest.

February 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • Lorna

This.

February 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • Aezel

@ CatholicMom Yeah I can see how priests are against abortion. If we don't have enough little kids there won't be anyone around for them to molest.

February 18, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • donna

This is actually a big topic for people his age, so it's extremely relevant. But, I also suspect that the questions were prescreened.

February 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Cedar Tree

And yet, I'll guess that many here believe he's old enough to have the right to father a baby, or to go to an abortion clinic with his girlfriend.

February 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Ficheye

And here comes the followers of Jesus, telling us that everything is right in the world and that we should just keep stacking people up like poker chips... god'll make more water if we need it! Besides, if all of those people die because us americans are using up the resources... well, god has a plan... it just didn't include them, bless my soul and praise the baby jesus. Count your blessings... those people are heathens and until they pray and come into the kingdom of god they are lost, lost I tell you, and we deserve all of their stuff... because of the plan, you know? And let's not get into how god invented islam. That's too deep.

February 18, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • Nero

To CatholicMom

It's funny that you tell people to talk to a Priest and their is a link right below your post that says "report abuse", which is what a child would probably have to do if they talked to a priest. Religion isn't the answer. Common sense is. Intelligent people have it by nature. The rest of you try to get it from the bible. Unfortunately it is a skewed view.

February 18, 2011 at 5:04 pm |