home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. BertFromTexas

Justin – ignore the posturing and bellyaching of these liberals. Liberals want to destroy family and religion, so that our only allegiance will be to their big totalitarian government. Hold on to your beliefs and tell liberals where to stick it.

February 18, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • James

Do you have two kidneys? If so, is it okay if I hook up my dying nephew to your body, even if you say no? If not ,what is the difference?

February 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  2. gale

Good for him. At least he has the guts to stand up to all of you who think your way is the only way. He has more guts than any of you bad mouthing him because he is a Christian. You all probably wouldn't stand up in public for anything you believe in, whether it be right or wrong, Christian or non-Christian. Instead you just blog where no one will know who you are. Gutless, all of you.

February 18, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • James

If you still have both kidneys, you shouldn't talk. You could be saving a life right now. Is it okay if I hook up my dying nephew to your body against your will?

February 18, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
  3. James

This is great news, because my nephew needs a kidney. Justin just made it clear that it's okay for me to hook my nephew up to his body and use his kidneys, even if Justin objects, because life is sacred and everything happens for a reason.

February 18, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • logicallibby

Your statement is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Despite logic, some people will do anything to try to make a point. Yeah, yeah, that’s the same. Take a total stranger and hook him up, against their will you say, and use their kidneys for your nephew? LAUGHABLE!

February 18, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
  4. JJM

At 4 months, a baby in the womb can grasp with his or her hands.

February 18, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • James

My nephew is ten, so he can grasp with his hands too. Should it be legal to hook him up to anyone I choose against their will in order to save his life?

February 18, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
  5. seriously?

it's beiber. why is he even in the news, and why do we care?

February 18, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  6. BertFromTexas

Where is the backlash??? Up until now, I didn't care a hoot about this pop singer. Now, I have a new respect for him. Way to go, Justin!

February 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  7. Kelly

I find the kid talentless and annoying. I don't really care about his backward views on faith, so I can't get up in arms about his views on abortion. I just pray to god that his stupidity somehow shortens his career as a pop idol. I'm sick of seeing this simpering girl on every freaking awards show and magazine. Blecccchhhh.

February 18, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  8. JJM

At 21 days, the heart of a baby in the womb begins to beat on its own.

February 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • derp

And it would perish in seconds outside the womb. Your point is?

February 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • derp

Oh, and it still has a tail too.

February 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • James

My ten year old nephew's heart has been beating on its own for a long time. Is it okay if I hook him up to you so he can use your kidney? If you say no, you are a murderer.

February 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Medical Student

1. Not a full heart
      2. Heart does not = life (brain death for all intensive purposes is death even if the heart beats)
      3. your significance in the heart simply emphasizes your lack of scientific understanding. The heart is simply a muscle, no more no less.
      4. even near 8 months there is no consciousness, no thought processes, no awareness of any sort as the parts of brain responsible for

ignorance breeds stupidity

February 18, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • JJM

At 28-32 days in the womb, blood flows in the baby's veins but stays seperate from the mother's bloood.

At 44 days, 99 % of the baby's muscles are present and the child has their own neerve structure.

At 8 week, the baby is well proportioned and every organ is present. The liver is making the baby's blood.

At 12 weeks, the baby is already responding to stimulation.

At 17 weeks, the baby can now grasp with his or her hands.

February 18, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • JJM

At 42 days, the baby's brain futher develops in three distinct areas – one for emotion and understanding language, another for seeing, and the thrid for hearing.

February 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • JJM

Dear Medical Student,

You are forgetting that not all muscels are the same. The heart is a vital organ. We can live without a flexor pollicis brevis, but try living without a normal heart. So you see, the heart is VERY significant.

Perhaps you've not taken "The Hippocratic Oath" wherein the last sentence of the third paragrpah reads...

"I will neither prescribe nor administer a lethal dose of medicine to any patient even if asked nor counsel any such thing nor perform the utmost respect for every human life from fertilization to natural death and reject abortion that deliberately takes a unique human life. "

February 18, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  9. Corbijn

This is awesome because he's just a kid. Who would have thunk that a kid would be able to fully conceptualize religious beliefs? I used to always think kids were just impressionable to whatever they were told be it Santa Claus or being a suicide bomber; me being a full grown adult I would say "no thank you". Wow, you just turned all my beliefs on their head and now I think I need to reassess my religious beliefs based upon your comment.

I'm just waiting for the day when this kid takes the route of other kid entertainers like Gary Coleman. His hairdo ain't gonna be so cool then.

February 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  10. Allen

He's 16-he shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion yet!

February 18, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  11. Seenen

Oh for goodness sake, he's 16 year old boy singer. Why should his views on abortion matter to anyone one way or the other?

February 18, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  12. morgenholz79

It's pretty obvious that when an outspoken Christian finds fame through music, sports or any other means, that liberals find a way to knock them down a peg or two by asking them questions about abortion or gay marriage. They think that this somehow "exposes" them for who they really are, when in fact they already know what the answer is going to be to those questions. How else can you explain the reason a Rolling Stone writer would ask a child what their view is on abortion? It's a question that has nothing to do with his music, which is why he would even be interview by RS in the first place.

February 18, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  13. Ga Peach

Everyone has their own opinion about abortion! You can post all the comments you want and this will never be settled for or against. I can only agree that this was a very stupid question for a reporter to ask the 16 year old Bieb.

February 18, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  14. Gail

Anyone who cares what Beiber's views are on any subject needs serious help.

February 18, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • jarhead6353

Gail, you couldn't be more correct.

February 18, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
  15. logicallibby

And another thing, I’m so sick of religion/religious/ spiritual people being knocked. To all you simpletons who like to cast stones (for example calling Christians hypocrites; which seem to be the most ardent claim) why don’t you go ahead and publically mimic, mock, make fun of and diminish some of the more “radical” religions? Scared? Where is your sense of “I have a right to my opinion and the right to beat you over the head with it and make fun of you for it” then? Talk about bullies. That is a bully move if there ever was one. And we wonder where our children learn it. Pot, kettle, black…. What a bunch of idiots.

February 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Chris

Many people "knock" on outspoken religious people not because of their beliefs, but because they continually try to make those beliefs into laws for all of us.

February 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • TheresonlyoneBOSS

LOVE IT AND THANK YOU!!!!! That soooooo needed to be said!!!

February 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • Limedust

Not afraid at all. All religions are inherently ridiculous. That includes Christianity (seemingly the most hypocritical, but also incoherent, cannibalistic, and truly uninspired in terms of its literature) Islam (hypocritical, derivative, and shortsighted) Judaism (insular, hypocritical, overly self-indulgent) and all the other cults of the past few centuries (Mormonism, Scientology, and the myriad bizarre Christian offshoots). And please stop behaving (and writing) as if religious folk are somehow the persecuted minority; in the US as many as 80% identify themselves as Christian. Throw in the rest of the fairly-tale believers of other stripes and it's not inconceivable to imagine that 90-95% of US denizens believe in magic. That is what I am tired of.

February 18, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • Jim Jones

Wow illogicallibby...you are a moron. You actually believe there is some sort of being that is a master of physics and mathematics that can read your thoughts and judge you for your sins. That is so improbable and foolish. Do you also believe in Zeus and Apollo? Do you think that weather is "out to get you" as well?

February 18, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  16. Pliny

What does it matter what this child thinks?

February 18, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  17. Mercfan

I have been praying for the Beiber Backlash, but not because of this topic – beause he is a phony. He had a fan contest last year and a terminally ill teen won by getting the most Facebook votes. He blew her off by not showing up and she was crushed emontionally. How could someone be so cold. Please join the Backlash. On a side note, why would Rolling Stone even ask him this question.

February 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • jim l

Rolling Stone would ask him precisely for the same reason a photog would do a semi-nude shoot of Miley Cyrus: to provoke controversy and thus get free marketing.

February 18, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  18. God invented and performed the first abortion

If god invented and performed the first abortion and he made me in his image then back the flock off of me being closer to god and walking in his footsteps. When you bible thumpers become perfect then come talk to me, until then STFU and mind your own business.

February 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • logicallibby

You must have been asleep for the past 2000+ years! Your so-called "bible thumpers" do not claim to be perfect. Let me talk/write slowly, and simply for you because obviously people have been talking too fast and have used too many big words for your simple self, and all of those like you, to understand.....
      Christians believe we are ALL flawed. YOU are the one who has it wrong. When you are trying to offend others, try not to look so stupid by getting your main point WRONG.

February 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
  19. Aaron

Okay. I'm 16 and I was just thinking too myself. "Wow. Justin Bieber's level of intelligence just amazes me." Honestly how in the world can you be so nieve and simple minded.

February 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • Gail

If you're going to insult the intelligence of someone it's usually a good idea to check your spelling.

February 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Robo

go back to school kiddo. All you are saying is you don't agree with someone, so you are going to attack their intelligence.

The reality is, intelligent people disagree. Bieber is not one of them, he's a singer. But regardless, intelligent people are against abortion, intelligent people are against it. It's all a matter of where life begins, and its not so simple to define exactly when life begins. Except for the political ramifications – outside of the abortion debate, most would consider life begins as soon as it starts – as soon as the egg is fertilized, and cells divide, thats the start of that process.

But that wouldn't allow for much choice, now would it, so the Supreme Court came up with this complex formula allowing for choice in the 1st trimester, but mostly blocking any elective choice by the 3rd trimester.

Are all those Supreme Court justices niave too? Dumb? Silly people?

C'mon....go hit the books.

February 18, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Marlye

Give this braindead Bieber a few years in the spotlight. Fame will take over regardless his beliefs and he'll end up blowing his mind and wallet on cocaine and booze. His views on abortion are meaningless.

February 18, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  20. JDonaldson

I know who Sarah is going to pick as a running mate...talk about Dream Team!

February 18, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • matthew

Abortion should be a personal choice. Period.

February 18, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

matthew
      Abortion should be a personal choice. Period.
      --------
      Then why is planned parenthood federally funded?

February 18, 2011 at 10:53 pm |