home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Tacjam

He should be talking tennis shoes, dancing and girls..he should also return to school so he can make an educated guess about these things....his publicist should be fired.

February 18, 2011 at 11:16 am |
  2. Sagebrush Shorty

And his opinion matters because.......?

February 18, 2011 at 11:14 am |
  3. Donna

What I can't understand is why alot of people in this country feel that other people cannot have their own beliefs or opinions. Justin Bieber is allowed to have an opinion just like everyone else, so why get upset? I have my own opinions and people can have the same opinion or a different opinion, makes no difference to me. Let the boy speak his mind. And like some other posters have said, who cares?

February 18, 2011 at 11:14 am |
  4. Hugh Jarce

Another American Taliban telling women what they can and cannot do with their own bodies.

Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is great, when a sperm is wasted, God gets quite irate ! (Monty Python)

February 18, 2011 at 11:14 am |
    • jwills

Their "own bodies"? You must be a truly ignorant individual. Different DNA, different blood type many times, and the child is often male. So how can you say that an unborn child is part of a woman's body? Sure, a woman has the right to stick whatever thing in her uterus she wants to, but her rights stop at the point that thing starts harming the body of the OTHER human being growing in her womb. Lefties are so utterly ignorant and irrational. They'll ignore even BASIC science for the sake of their politics.

February 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
    • really?

yeah that's quite an appendage a woman has when she has a son...well said jwills

February 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • really?

yeah that's quite an appendage a woman has when she has a son...

February 18, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  5. Tacjam

The only good thing Canada had....and he ruined it!

February 18, 2011 at 11:13 am |
    • CanadianGirl

What's with your hate-on for Canada?

February 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  6. Diana

What is freakin wrong with everyone....Joy Behar is a hater....so what if a kid or an adult expresses their opinion when asked a question? Just because he didnt give the answer the liberals want makes it wrong? This is getting so tiresome. Way to go Justin. I dont agree with all of your statements but you have the right to say and feel as you please! So There!

February 18, 2011 at 11:12 am |
  7. Robguy

" I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that."
    I'm not a fan, but he's young kid who will learn a heck of a lot more about life in the next few years – and, at least, he realizes he doesn't know everything.

February 18, 2011 at 11:12 am |
  8. Dalia Colón

You may also be interested in Bieber's recent comments about the U.S. health care system: http://healthystate.org/archives/6324

February 18, 2011 at 11:12 am |
  9. Kris

Why are you asking a teenager his views on anything and then publishing it on the Internet? He is a teenager. His personal views are not based on any research or education at this point. Why are you asking him these questions?

February 18, 2011 at 11:12 am |
    • jwills

You must be a pathetic individual indeed if it took you "research and education" to realize that killing the innocent is wrong.

February 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
  10. CT

Why would this topic even come up with this kid in an interview with Rolling Stone? Good for him for standing on his beliefs, whether or not I agree with them. I just don't get why it even came up....

February 18, 2011 at 11:12 am |
  11. Tacjam

His publicist should be FIRED! This kid shouldn't talk politics at any cost...hey kid, the reason Canada has healthcare...it's because they don't have to protect themselves!

February 18, 2011 at 11:12 am |
    • L

You are clearly an idiot sir. The reason Canadians enjoy (for lack of a better word) free health care is because of taxes; it has nothing to do with the military (which Canada does have and a very well trained one at that). Your lack of a proper education has left you with a mind full of ridiculous assumptions.

February 18, 2011 at 11:22 am |
  12. Marc J

Agree or not, I give the kid credit for commenting on sensitive issues. I particularly liked his support of Canada's one payer system. I am impressed by this young fellow. I might add that I fully support a woman's right to choose and advocate for a one payer health care system for all Americans. MJY

February 18, 2011 at 11:10 am |
  13. johnrj08

Bieber's a kid. He doesn't have any idea that are his own. He's just parroting what he's heard from other people and has no real life experience outside of performing. I wouldn't give any credence to this kind of story. Some day, he'll grow up and learn about the real world. Maybe.

February 18, 2011 at 11:10 am |
    • Bob Rock

February 18, 2011 at 11:17 am |
    • Bill the Cat

@ Bob... what evidence to the contrary?

February 18, 2011 at 11:22 am |
    • really?

again– generality 1, facts 0 –you really need to come up with a new schtick, don't just keep repeating this every few posts bro.

February 18, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • really?

comment to Bob rock

February 18, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Bob Rock, "Religious beliefs are a result of brainwashing. Most people remained brainwashed despite the evidence to the contrary."

And you Bob Rock, seems you can't turn the channel from watching your favorite "Rebel without a Cause".

Talk about being brainwashed.

February 19, 2011 at 12:31 am |
  14. Aaron

I understand that atheists are uncomfortable with Christians' evangelical practices. They're trying to share something that you're convinced isn't true. But are the seeds of faith that they plant any diffierent from the seeds of doubt planted by atheists? I rather doubt it. If an atheist must insist that Christians stop sharing something they believe to be false, Christians must also be allowed to insists that atheists stop sharing something they believe to be false.

February 18, 2011 at 11:10 am |
    • Bob Rock

It's not a matter of some random belief. It's a matter of facts, evidence and probability. If you believe something that doesn't have the three, you have no basis to believe it and you are a fool.

February 18, 2011 at 11:15 am |
    • Bill the Cat

@Bob

What makes you think we don't have all 3? Your anti-religion bias?

February 18, 2011 at 11:21 am |
    • remembers

PLEASE "Please keep your rosaries outa my ovaries " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 11:26 am |
    • Aaron

So Bob... You have proof that there's no God? Please show it to me. Your absence of evicence is not evidence of God's absence.

Yes, I'm a logical, intelligent man. I believe in God, though I don't claim to understand Him. I just not cynical enough to believe that I'm so smart that there are things in the universe that haven't escaped my notice. What you THINK you know is a fraction of what there is to BE known.

February 18, 2011 at 11:31 am |
    • HeavenSent

Bob Rock, funny you mentioned the last word in your statement.

God told us this truth:

Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, [There is] no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, [there is] none that doeth good.

Psalms 14:2 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, [and] seek God.

Psalms 14:3 They are all gone aside, they are [all] together become filthy: [there is] none that doeth good, no, not one.

Psalms 14:4 Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people [as] they eat bread, and call not upon the LORD.

Psalms 14:5 There were they in great fear: for God [is] in the generation of the righteous.

Psalms 14:6 Ye have shamed the counsel of the poor, because the LORD [is] his refuge.

Psalms 14:7 Oh that the salvation of Israel [were come] out of Zion! when the LORD bringeth back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, [and] Israel shall be glad.

February 19, 2011 at 12:28 am |
  15. Shel

Wow! Finally an individual I would'nt mind my children modeling after. I think anyone in the lime light has a responsibility to followers.

February 18, 2011 at 11:10 am |
    • Michelle

I agree! My three youngest girls just love him!

February 18, 2011 at 11:20 am |
    • spottingLies

Well said.

February 18, 2011 at 11:22 am |
  16. Canadian Jim

He's a kid singer, his views on anything don't matter. First why would anyone ask for them, and second why would anyone lash out at him for them. THis is ridiculous.

February 18, 2011 at 11:09 am |
    • spottingLies

Now that WAS well said.

February 18, 2011 at 11:24 am |
  17. Bob Rock

It really isn't about maturity or freedom of speech. Religious belief is a result of brainwashing and lack of education! It's a sad commentary on what happened to this kid.

February 18, 2011 at 11:08 am |
    • @Bob Rock

Yeah, my husband's two PhD's – one in theology and one in physics – mean nothing. He is just so stupid that he turned to Christianity. Do you have any idea how many scientists become Christian because of their education/work? The evidence for an intelligent designer is overwhelming.

February 18, 2011 at 11:16 am |
    • Bill the Cat

Wow... talk about stupid comments... We call that a sweeping generalization – a logical fallacy. Imbeciles usually engage in those.

February 18, 2011 at 11:19 am |
    • jwills

Your arrogance makes me think you could only be an atheist. In my experience, arrogant people are usually the most ignorant and clueless.

February 18, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
    • really?

generality 1, facts 0

February 18, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  18. Ditch06

Religion, teenager, yawn....

February 18, 2011 at 11:08 am |
  19. Jubba Lingway

The world is going nuts and THIS is what CNN wants to report on? That is pretty messed up.

February 18, 2011 at 11:08 am |
    • Lubba Jingway

Yeah, it's ridiculous that CNN only employs one reporter, and of all things to report on, he picks this!

February 18, 2011 at 11:27 am |
  20. Niknak

Wow.....his managers have done a great job in selling this persona. Someday the truth will come out.

February 18, 2011 at 11:08 am |
    • VR

What a shrewd businessman Bieber is. Once his 15 minutes run out, he'll have a lifelong career as a lame christian rocker/pop star.

February 18, 2011 at 11:19 am |
    • CatholicMom

Justin could be the next Ricky Nelson!
      Justin is a great guy and if he keeps himself the way he is....he will have a lifetime of making music.
      [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0janfcZ8LUw&w=640&h=360]