home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Doug

Just when you think that Joy Bahar has gone as low as she can go, she manages to go even lower ... along with CNN for employing her ... sad.

February 18, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
  2. Scotty

I'm glad he spoke his mind even if people disagree. Its called living in a free country. DUH.

February 18, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
  3. AB

This kid after all has wisdom, he must really know the Lord and the Bible. I think he should never stop telling the truth even if the entire world go againts him. He must remember that he will be unpopular once he tells the truth to this blind world.

They hated the Lord for no particular reasons at all. They talk bad about the Bible all the time because they are too blind with no wisdom to understand the way of the Lord. Of course killing a baby is nothing to them because they are lost.

I want him to remember that being an ennemy of this world is being friend with Lord and gain it all eternally. For those who think that the Bible is a joke, can wait and see, because in the end the Lord Jesus will reveal the truth. It is simply a matter of time. He wins the battle over 2000 years ago, it is only a matter of time until He shows the truth.

February 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  4. Heckman

He is a kid, leave him alone. It wasn't as stupid of an answer than you were to get from Glen Beck or Ms big mouth herself Sarah Palin

February 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  5. William

Watch this video and then think againg about abortion:

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJzSiAPXTiQ&w=640&h=390]

God bless you all

February 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  6. Gilly

I had no real reason to hate the kid, now I do.

February 18, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • chillyindy

I had no reason to love the kid, now I do.

February 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • Juan

Don't worry, he hates you more!

February 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  7. Ken Ansley

I'm 15 and male so I don't have "Bieber Fever" but as a Christian I can't believe how the Mainstream Media tries to destroy any Christian who stands up for their faith....it's happened 100 times over in the past year alone.

Don't criticize other religions, but go ahead and slaughter off the Christians for having values!

Hal Lindsey was right, Satan IS alive and WELL, in America!

February 18, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • lonewolf777

Hal Lindsey's #1 priority is to sell books. Haven't you figured that out yet? Read the "predictions" in Hal's Late Great Planet Earth if you want a good laugh.

February 18, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • Enlightened Atheist

Wow, I really hope you never produce. Glad to see your parents brainwashed you into believing fairy tales.

February 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  8. Roger Ogilvy Thornhill

Did some right-wing Christian nut buy CNN while I wasn't looking? Why is this fantasy Jesus blog linked from the main page of CNN.com.

February 18, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  9. Bettie

Who cares what a no-talent punk kid thinks???

February 18, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • Ken Ansley

Sorry Bettie,

The same can be said about all of us...

He's just a person stating his views...kinda like you...

Who cares what we think? Clearly not the millions and millions of your fans huh?

February 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Juan

And you have talent? I doubt you are any better than he is. He actually is very talented. He plays drums, guitar, and other musical instrument; plus he can actually sing too! I would advise you to keep your yapper shut!

February 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  10. one for all

As a society we make choices about loss of life. Is an American soldier's life more important than a fetus? How about a murderer? Or an uninsured person needing life saving health care? Or a murdered girlfriend by a released criminal? Or a poor child that starves to death? Or a gay person who is beat to death? I even feel a pang of regret when I thin my vegatable starts but must live in this imperfect world. The ability to make decisions on where to draw the line must start with respect for all life.

February 18, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
  11. Eric G.

I find it funny how the conservative position is against abrtion and against a public healthcare system. Should we force people to have children that they cannot care for so we can then not give the children healthcare?

February 18, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
  12. Jeff

I'd love to hear why this piece of human excrement, who lives in Canada where (fortunately for him) the health care system isn't run by billionaire CEOs, why he's against universal health care

February 18, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  13. William

Watch this video and then think againg about abortion:
    [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJzSiAPXTiQ&w=640&h=360]
    God bless you all

February 18, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • Olivia

Schoking video, but it shows the truth about abortion

February 18, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  14. Alex

It matters what he thinks because he has lots of fans who want to know everything about him and he has a lot of influence on them. My daughter started to learn to play guitar because of him. I hope that his right views on killing innocent babies make her understand that life starts at conception and killing this life is plain and simple evil. Thanks Justin from a concerned parent.

February 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  15. tos g

ok, Bieber now spoke person for the tea party? good to know

February 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  16. KR

Amen Biebs!!

February 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  17. ArthurBach

Why are people asking 16 year olds about this? Why doesn't he just respond "I am 16. I have no idea." ?

February 18, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  18. Rev. Keith R. Wright

"...lead us not into temptation..."
    Isn't the little hypocrite playing on the lust of girls?

"Note: These tickets may be shipped upto 48 hours before the event or delivered to your hotel in the city of your event up until 1 hour before the event starts. [6138068] Floor Seating / B VIP 64321 $1955 $1857 "
    What about greed? $1800 for a floor seat? Even if this is a ticket company, why isn't he protesting and forbidding the gouging?
    This is just one more hypoChristian, using the ignorant sheep to turn a profit...his parents are smart enough to realize the cash-cow that Christianity is...expecially where using their son to exploit it, and him being a willing participant.

Since the informed know there is no such thing as Jesus, WE know this is a money-making scam. Now we see the true colors of Master Bieber, and his true mysoganistic views toward women and their right to their own bodies.

February 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Ken Ansley

Dear Rev.

Do you realize that stars do not make the market prices at concerts, the venue sets them!

I can agree with the majority of your post, but you are way out of line on so much. I'd suggest learning how the industry works and how God works!

Justin is keeping the faith, the responses of his fans are not his fault or problem, being true to God is.

For a Rev. you of all people should know better and not lead the flock astray. You will be held in higher responsibility than he will....

February 18, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  19. Beth

I’m Pro Choice and my reasoning is simple. If a woman is forced to carry a pregnancy to term, her right to bodily autonomy is violated. Regardless of whether or not a zygote, an embryo or a fetus is in fact human life isn’t the issue. I think anyone with a basic comprehension of human biology would admit that these are STAGES of human development. The difference between a z/e/f isn’t that it isn’t human; it’s that it IS NOT A PERSON. Human life does NOT equate personhood.

With that being said, no woman should be forced to endure the numerous potential life-threatening conditions that occur with pregnancy and childbirth. No woman should be forced to donate her body to support a potential person. No woman should be forced to endure heart conditions, weight gain, diabetes, varicose veins, sleep-deprivation, and even death. NO WOMAN should be forced into such a position!

Just because a woman consents to having s3x doesn’t mean she consents to pregnancy. No birth control method is 100 percent effective aside from abstinence but expecting that people only have s3x when they want a child is ridiculous. S3x isn’t just about procreation; it’s an expression of love and affection.

Women have the right to experience love, joy, and pleasure JUST as much as any man does. We also have every right to decide what grows inside our body without our consent; and we also reserve the right to have privacy in making these decisions.

For all of the women out there who have had abortions and do not feel guilty, please share your story @ http://www.imnotsorry.net.

Cheers,
    Beth

February 18, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • Zeke2112

"NO WOMAN should be forced into such a position!"

I'm sure that most women are forced at gunpoint into this position. /sacrasm

As you note, no birth control is 100% effective. If you consent to s3x, you accept the risk of pregnancy. Period. I find it humorous that people with your position claim that a fetus or embryo is not human life, but turn around and cheer the use of DNA in assault cases. If unique DNA is enough to establish the presence of another individual, then a fetus is a unique human being. I would agree that there is no sentience, but that is a unique human life. It's a shame that you do not respect its bodily autonomy as well.

February 18, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Jess

You are an idiot...I feel sorry for you

February 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • 8knot8

DNA/RNA is a genetic code. How do you make the leap of logic that if you believe this than you believe that conception = life? When trying to prove a point the use of cogency is necessary. Leaps of logic like this weaken your position and bring questions about your level of intelligence.

February 18, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • shawn

What about women who do have regrets? Shouldn't their opinions also be welcome?

Your point that human life does equate personhood is an odd rationalization and very dangerous. So taking a human life is ok but taking a persons life ( by your definition of person) is wrong? What about the elderly and/or demented? or the physically or mentally impaired? are they not a person as well? It is a very dangerous slope to determine what life is worth saving and what is disposable.

As for being "forced" into carrying the baby, when is life "fair". People are "forced" into life threatening disease all the time. People are "forced" into paraplegia/death etc from accidents that are not of their doing. It is a matter of respecting human life not disposing of it when it is inconvenient.

February 18, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • CatholicMom

I hope that all who have had an abortion go to the site that Beth suggested and tell your story....I would guess that those who are suffering because of their abortion will out number those who 'think nothing of it' or have no conscience of regret.

February 18, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • MCJNY

Discussions about when human life begins are ultimately futile. We don't know is the answer. A more relevant question is who are we to judge. if you believe in such things, then let God judge an individual's actions. I stand with Beth that her freedom to decide her fate, and the fate of her fetus, rests with the parents, as will the after life consequences ,if any. This is not for the state to decide. I say to all of you religious thugs. WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE? keep your beliefs to yourself. If you don't believe in abortion, don't get one. End of story.

February 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • Beth

Zeke2112,

Perhaps you had difficulty comprehending my stance. Allow me to explain in more simplistic terms for you.

I never negated that a z/e/f was human life. I stated that a z/e/f WAS IN FACT HUMAN LIFE within my first paragraph. More importantly, I stated that a z/e/f was not A PERSON. Potential People do NOT have a right to bodily autonomy.

Ah, the consent issue. If someone consents to driving a car and they’re hit by a train, should they suffer the consequences without appropriate medical care? I mean, they consented to driving the car!

Your argument is tedious and it’s one that many AntiChoicers endorse and support. It isn’t very logical though 🙂

Cheers!

February 18, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • ryan

So just when does a human being become a person?

February 18, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Rebecca

Beth, that was more than well put, it was a perfect and generously detailed explanation of why choice is so important. Anyone who doesn’t get it after what you have written, will never get it. And that’s just sad.

February 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Joe

It's too bad your mother didn't feel the same way and act on it before you had the opportunity to spout such garbage.

February 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • zenith9995

AMEN Beth!

February 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • ryan

I mean, when does a potential person become an actual person?

February 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Paul

Beth, take responsibility for the whole of you, which may include a developing human life inside you. If you do not want the responsibility, either refrain or ensure you are 100% protected. If a person can be charged with the death of an unborn baby by causing injury to the mother, how/why does the mother not get charged for the same (or worse because it is intentional) death of a unborn human? Seems like the state defends the rights of the unborn when there is violence against the mother, but not when the mother herself commits the violence.
      If after intimacy you instead woke up tomorrow with an unknown and incapable person tethered to your blood stream, what would your moral responsibilities be to that person? Would you snip the tether and walk away? Please define when a fetus becomes a person as you say. Premature fetuses are born live and become persons frequently, even though they are still able to legally be aborted.
      Why does the opinion of a 16 year old garner any attention at all?

February 18, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • Beth

Shawn and Catholicmom,

There are many sites that support women who regret their abortions. There are few for those who do not because in our society abortion is viewed as shameful.

Abortion is not something the majority of women take for granted and should ALWAYS be available to women as the alternatives are far, far worse. Shawn, life isn’t fair and that’s exactly why the PERSON’S (the woman) rights trump that of the z/e/f. I ask you this, in what other scenarios do we as a society FORCE another person to DONATE THEIR BODY?

We don’t. So why should women be forced to donate their bodies for 9 months?

February 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • Beth

Paul,

Why is it that people insinuate that abortion isn’t a responsible act? If a woman knows that she is medically, financially, emotionally or physically unable to care for a child then the responsible action would be to terminate the pregnancy before she HAS a child.

February 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • shawn

You are articulate and are fair in your discussions, which I respect. We will continue to disagree on where we value human life relative to what we believe are our rights are. I feel that the right to take an innocent human life (or potential person as you say), is trumped by the value of human life. And as I said, to me taking the opposite view leads down a very slippery slope.
      I vehemently disagree with your statement:Abortion... should ALWAYS be available to women as the alternatives are far, far worse. Adoption is hardly far worse. Giving a child the opportunity to live and be loved and of parents to love a child is hardly far worse.

February 18, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • Elizabeth

Just testing.

February 18, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  20. Mercedes

Thank u young man for setting an exame with your Christian values and beliefs. Now I know why my tween loves you!:)

February 18, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • ArthurBach

This isn't why, I assure you.

February 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • Amun

He is just a kid! Give him a break! His got his freedom of speech and it does not necessarily have to complement with what other think or say it is ..btw m not a Beiber fan neither I have strong views on abortion ..but just saying..the kid deserves to say what he thinks!

February 18, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • Count St Germain

There is no god but Clapton, you heathen.

It's the woman's choice, and not one of you can say anything else.

February 18, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • derp

Is it a "christian" value to pelt a cop with a water bottle?

February 18, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • teepee

this nation is following the lead of a 16 year old. no wonder we can't keep it together...

February 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • Rebelsangel

Why would any woman contemplating the issue care in the slightest what a teenage boy thinks? His opinion is irrelevant – the tweens drooling over Justin will come to their own conclusions when they are older and can consider all points of view. He may be a pop star, but does anyone really believe that his opinion/education/experience puts him in a position of authority?

February 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • Joe

Mercedes, his faith is mostly a marketing gimmick. It's sad that faith is being used as a marketing tool but it's true. His main demographic is young girls. Females, especially at that age, are more likely to have God more then any other time until they reach adulthood. By including faith in his movie he does a few things.

Appears more "wholesome" to mothers (who most of the time are the ones buying the CDs), it allows churches to encourage his music. And it has the potential to draw in more people of the faith.

While I have no doubt he likely is religious. If it is to the point shown in the movie, I very much doubt.

February 18, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • Steve the real one

Count St Germain
      There is no god but Clapton, you heathen.
      -----
      Really? Even Clapton sang about God's heaven! Touching and lovely song I might add!

February 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • jen

Everyone has their own personal view on this subject and that's why we have a CHOICE.

February 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • Jeff

Jesus Blowsss

February 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Joe

To Jeff,
      To those who make such comments, and who say there is no God, they better pray they are correct. If you live long enough you will regret those words.

February 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm |