home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. andy

If you're against abortion, then post some alternatives. Will you propose new taxes for homes for all the children? It's not enough to say you are against, come up with a solution to all the resulting children, that the parents obviously don't want and can't support. Will YOU adopt them?

February 18, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Dean

Garnish the wages of the irresponsible parents who abondon their children. Castration for them would also solve some of the problems.

February 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • Anglican

Birth control, Depo, con-doms, or just wait till one can deal with the potential consequences of s-e-x. Responsible behavior is not a bad thing.

February 18, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Jeff

Jesus was a total tallywacker who sodomized himself with frozen doo doo logs than ate them

February 18, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • Nero

Thanks for trying to talk some sense into these people Andy. Unfortunately it will be lost on most of them. That's somebody elses problem. These wacko's don't care about people. Once you are born, you are on your own. They don't want to pay for kids food or their health care.

Oh, I got it! All you wackos that are against abortion should stop having kids immediately so that you can start caring for all those abandoned children.

February 18, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • Anglican

Jeff. You are loathsome. Enjoy your life as much as you can.

February 18, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  2. Ken Ansley

Sorry but CNN is becoming infested with LIBTARDS!

If I was Justin and said what he said about Islam I'd be seen as the coming Messiah, but mention Christianity and you hang from the cross like Christ did. All over a personal choice...

Get real people, if Imann from NYC can call for the destruction of the US and the entire Christian community and get next to no response, and foster the idea of a Mosque on Ground Zero without a whimper from Christians world wide, but a teen "pop-star" can't state his views on Abortion without the whole world going into a tissy-fit?

Focus on the real problems folks, or don't wonder why things are so bad. In other words, LEAD, FOLLOW, or GET OUT OF THE WAY!

February 18, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  3. Mike

All you big, brave pro-abortion people – you go get those little defenseless babies. Must make you feel so proud. You need to kill because it is to inconvienent or difficult to use birth control... I say, defend the rights of unborn women!

February 18, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • Jeff

Fcuk you and your Jesus. How do you like that answer?

February 18, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Dean

To Jeff--Playing hookey today?

February 18, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  4. Joe

Someone just made an interesting comment. "Pregnancy is just a step". I suppose this is true, but where do the steps begin and end? I don't think that you can argue that there's much of a difference between a baby who is going to be born in 5 minutes and one who has been born for 5 minutes, apart from the fact that the one yet to be born is being supported by the mother. With that then, what is the difference, support? By that logic, we should certainly be able to abort elderly people who can't support themselves. Those in favor of abortion must agree with this, right?

February 18, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  5. Real Life People

Why is it that when anyone (especially any young person in the spotlight) shares that they are a Christian, or wear a purity ring that they automaticly should be someone for young people to look up to or as setting a good example? Pretty sure that they are not being looked up to because they are Christian or wear a purity ring, it's because they are famous, have been packaged for commercialism and have a lot of money......Young people should look up to someone in their local church or religion, somone in thier community that has done, is doing real things to improve REAL life! Who cares if Justin Bieber is for or against abortion. His "handelers" should have coached him a little better on this one.....

February 18, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  6. Steve

I honestly wish Justin Bieber had been aborted.

February 18, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • genta

lmao this the funniest comment

February 18, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  7. Lee

Poor lost child. He'll have talent and money but he has lost his soul and mind to religious perversion.

February 18, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
  8. I support Bieber's remarks

Since when did it become so controversial to be pro-life?

February 18, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • Nick S.

I'm glad someone said it! Strike the poor kid dead cause he wants babies to LIVE!!!

February 18, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  9. Jeff

Jesus got crucified because he got caught by some Roman guards playing around with doo doo logs and eating them. They were so disgusted they killed him straight away

February 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  10. Really?

He's not old enough to formulate an intelligent opinion on this topic. I am SICK of hearing about this kid.

February 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • Dean

Hesure sounds a lot more mature than you do.

February 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • Nick S.

He didn't come out himself and make that statement. He was asked in an interview. Hate CNN for writing a story on it, its not the Biebs' fault!

February 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  11. Mother

As a mother of two young girls and a woman who has gone thru 3 miscarriages I am pro-life. I lost three fetus at different stages that doesnt make them less of a human or less of them being my child. Abortion is terminating a life of a child. Just thank your mother for believing in life or simply put you wouldnt be here.

February 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  12. Bridget

Kid or not, he has the right to his opinion and he has the right to express that opinion,

February 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • JulieB

Wow, I agree. Freedom of speech folks.

February 18, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
  13. WhatThe

What do the Chinese do with baby girls? Once the parents discover they have a female do they immediately kill it, or do they have it then they throw it away?

February 18, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • andy

If they do, how do you explain all the chinese females?

February 18, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • Merry

Haha, I'm Chinese, a female, and the youngest of two. No, my parents did not kill me nor did they throw me away.

February 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  14. bobaloo

Values? #1-Killing babies is murder, shoving your peeper in a but is abnormal, wasting needed money on revenge wars, polluting the gulf coast for profit, running the auto, insurance and banks into the ground, then giving away billions of peoples tax money to hand free loot to all the retirees and not coming clean? Free money to the banksters so they can pump up the bonuses? Phonies...The pres says modern oil rigs don't leak anymore! Propping up dictators with US billions. (the US military now controls Egypt..Values? People wake up the powder keg its forming on the Euphates.

February 18, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  15. BeiberrProof

Wow. Still can't stand that kid. Yes, KID. Thank HIS God I DVR'd last nights episode of CSI. He got shot at the end. A bunch. I've watched it at least 35 times.

February 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  16. The Human Perspective...

Did anyone else know for sure what they thought about difficult political and moral topics at age 16? I didn't... I had an idea, and that was ok for my age. Views change with age anyway. To all those who say Bieber is uneducated, think about your thoughts at 16 and give the kid a break! Most high schoolers are worried about their prom date and not performing in front of thousands, cutting new records, and talking about politics. He balances what most youth today could not and with grace! Whether you agree with abortion or not, that's not the real problem here. People are up in arms when an opinion is stated that goes against their personal beliefs. Get over it! That's free speech at hard work and with good reason! Let the kid speak his mind and if you don't agree, reply back with grace and dignity as you hopefully would to any 16 year old instead of name calling. KEEP IN MIND: EVERY CHILD HAS THE RIGHT TO EVALUATE POLITICS AND TO ACERTAIN THEIR OWN BELIEFS. EVERY CHILD ALSO SHOULD BE RESPECTED FOR THEIR VIEWPOINT WITHIN THEIR CURRENT STAGE OF COGNITIVE DEVELOPMENT.

February 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • Kip

Awesome, clear minded, intellegent statement, and appreciated from another clear thinker!

February 18, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  17. Susan

I do wish those who were so strictly anti abortion were also as fierce about health care for all. If all life is sacred (and I believe it is) then its just important. It seems that some would have all babies born yet not give a crap about the poor ones after they have been born. I'd like those who say they support life also support life when it might cost them some money......

February 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • Jim M

Absolutely true!

February 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • Louis

Before any other rights issue, the right to life is paramount. It is foundational, you cannot have healthcare if you cannot live. That is why it is so important.

February 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Sarah

Susan you are just wrong. I believe abortion is murder and everyone should have health care. I just do NOT believe that healthcare should be ran by the government. If you had a clue about how the government runs, you would not want them making health care decisions for anyone. Just look at the Post Office ... that place is so super screwed up ... I don't want healthcare to be that screwed up for anyone. I do NOT believe in changing just to have change. Change should move us forward NOT backwards.

February 18, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  18. This would be news worthy...

If there actually was a God.

February 18, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • Steve

Amen to that, brother 😀

February 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • JulieB

You poor thing.

February 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Louis

But since God is, I suppose it was news worthy enough to make that response.

February 18, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • Nero

Double AMEN and JulieB, I feel really sorry for your ignorance, but go ahead and keep hating. I'm sure you are happier that way. Those of us who are intelligent enough to know that god doesn't exist are just fine. Probably much happier than you. I can love everyone for who they are!!! and it's a wonderful feeling. You go ahead and keep hating.

February 18, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  19. derp

Doesn't jesus hate h o m o s too?

If so, that twink Beiber is against himself.

February 18, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • hugs

Agree totally, I always thought he was a little gay boy

February 18, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  20. r schier

CedarTree......You have a PhD in condescension. We simply don't agree with you...too bad.....

February 18, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Me

Too bad his mother didn't consider the choice.

February 18, 2011 at 4:00 pm |