home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Mark Basnight

Should we really care what a child whose testicles have yet to drop thinks of abortion? Why even ask him?

February 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  2. boB

It's funny how some people complain about these views as if he's not allowed to have his own opinion. It seems liberals are very liberal as long as you agree with them. He's not telling YOU to agree. It's his personal belief. Just as a abortion-rights person has their right to disagree. But don't slam him just because he doesn't agree with you. That's just childish and arrogant.

February 18, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  3. TheresonlyoneBOSS

Christian values in a young entertainer??? There's a prayer answered!!! Way to go Justin!!! Stand up for it baby!!! I will continue to pray for the majority of the posters on this blog....may you all find inner peace through Jesus's words and love.

February 18, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  4. Chris

People need to get a grip. The boy is 16. His views on life will change every other month until he's at least 25. Give the kid a break. At the end of the day, it's okay if someones opinion is different than your own.

February 18, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  5. geekgirl42

As I've said before, when a male makes a reproductive decision that results in him getting huge and bloated carrying the pregnancy, and 9 months later, pushing an 8lb baby through his hoo-ha, or possibly being cut open to remove it, then he can have an opinion on women's reproductive rights.

February 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  6. Tattooed Law

Call me sheltered, but is this who the American people is listening to...some little boy (or girl. I'm not quite sure)? Tell that kid to shut his mouth and leave the adult matters to the adults and he can take care of all the bubble-gum pop crap that his liittle heart desires. The day that the voice of Justin Bieber is the voice of America is the day I move to Canada!! Shut up little boy!!

February 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  7. Stella

Who cares what the little turd thinks

February 18, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  8. parent

I'm sorry, are we supposed to care what he thinks? Slow news day huh?

February 18, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  9. Jo

It's one persons opinion. Not one person here has the right to say a word. If that were your name up there, with your opinion, would you be willing to hear all these comments on your view? This shouldn't even be posted.

February 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  10. dreabug

I wish Justin Bieber's mother had had an abortion.

February 18, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  11. Sarah

Remember that any baby that is aborted is one society doesn't have to pay to feed, educate, etc. I would think that many Republicans and Tea Partiers would be handing out abortion pamphlets on street corners and such...

February 18, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • AndyinATL

I guess that just goes to show you that average Republican has more compassion than average Dem

February 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • Floyd

You seem to put a very low value on life. You should never be trusted with children yourself. The kid was asked a question and he answered it honestly. I did not care for him much, but he's growing on me....for his honestly, not for any other reason though.
      Stop the hate people. Geez.

February 18, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  12. str8 against h8

Abortion has actually been proven to reduce crime. All you idiot pro-lifers (JB included) should read Freakonomics.

February 18, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
  13. SC

Does anyone really care about Bieber's view on abortion? Or his view on anything for that matter?

February 18, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
  14. Bob's Uncle

Regardless of how you feel, what's wrong with what Beiber said? He's expressing his opinion and he's allowed to do so.
    As a fellow Christian I loath abortion but I'm not going to judge anyone from what they do with their life.
    It's unfortunate that some things happen on this planet and people feel it necessary to abort a baby. But that's between them and God.
    I know people who've had abortions and all of them have regretted it. They all suffer from massive guilt and will endure that pain the rest of their lives. So I'm not ready to pile on that heap.
    Jesus walked with everyone and sought those who needed him most.
    Christian's forget that the entire basis of being a Christian isn't to believe in Christ, but to live like he did.
    Jesus would be the first to hug someone in pain, not throw stones at them.

February 18, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • TheresonlyoneBOSS

@ Bob's uncle...Perfectly said!!!

February 18, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • db

Seriously, the intensity of the hatred expressed toward Bieber for simply expressing his opinion is actually pretty frightening. I'm not sure what it is about our contemporary politics (or perhaps it's the anonymity of the internet) that turns so many folks into hateful beasts.

February 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • Josh

Hilarious.

February 18, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Ad Astra per Aspera

Eloquently put. Concise, to the point and non-combative.

Aside from the topic at hand, you are a shining example of why speaking English well is so important to good communication between all of us.

February 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
    • Meemers

Well said.

February 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • Beth

I know women who have had abortions and have felt nothing but relief. The coin flips both ways.

February 18, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • Floyd

Beth,
      educate your friends on birth control, self restraint and responsible living instead of glorifying abortion. It is surgery, and dangerous. Making it a casual occurance only promotes the irresponsible behavior we need to change in our kids. Whatever side you are on, abortion is not a good thing. It is a last resort and should not be the first resort if at all. Adoption is a great choice, preventing the pregnancy to begin is a good start though.

February 18, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  15. Sarah

People who want to make a lot of money from the public should just talk about how pretty flowers are and how they like fluffy kittens. It is short sighted to risk alienating people who might consider buying something from you.

February 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  16. Carmen

How about this. If you don't believe in abortion DON'T HAVE AN ABORTION. If you find it morally offensive and against your religion don't do it. I find it amazing that the same people who yell and scream about not wanting big government in their lives are the same ones that cheer when laws are passed restricting what someone can and can't do with their own body.

February 18, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Tattooed Law

I couldn't have said it any better. And I work for the government

February 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • ibarra

I could not agree MORE!!!!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • Tom

Is the fetus "your own body?" If YOU don't stand up for the fetus, who will?

February 18, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • Meemers

I understand what you are saying, but from the POV of the pro-lifers this argument makes little sense. Abortion is considered to be murder, straight up baby killing. So your argument is viewed as the equivalent as saying "if you don't believe in murder, don't murder."

February 18, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • Beth

Tom,

No, the fetus RESDIES INSIDE A WOMAN'S BODY and she has a RIGHT to say what CAN and CANNOT use her body.

February 18, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • deb

AMEN! I couldn't agree with you more. There are so many morons out there it is scary!

February 18, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • Marie

Abortion affects TWO separate bodies – the mother's and the baby's. Regardless of your religion, or lack thereof, the DNA is different.

February 18, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • Liz

Carmen – you seem to be the one yelling and screaming. Apparently this boy was asked about his faith and beliefs, and he stated them. So he doesn't have the right to oppose abortion? Whyu is that? I don't know why he was asked, but it came up and he spoke his mind. Do what you want with your body....... those words ring out all the time. You and the pro-abortion crowd need to get a new mantra. It's not your body you're killing. It's a baby's body. Let's at least be honest about what's happening. Some abortions are performed into the second trimester and we all know about "partial-birth abortions". Please ! Are you telling me that's not a life? Would you be applauding Justin if he approved of it? I'm betting most of you would be congratulating such a young person for being so forward-thinking. I don't give a rats tail whether you or anyone else has an abortion. I detest the dishonesty of the propaganda. And the resistance to opposing views.

February 18, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  17. Free Thinker

... and posting again until the censorship stops. This is crazy. There's not a swear word in this post!

[STOP THIS CNN CENSORSHIP!!! HOW MANY TRIES DOES IT TAKE TO POST HERE??!!]

[REPLIES ARE APPEARING AS SEPARATE POSTS. THIS SITE IS A MESS!!]

The reason that the country is going downhill morally is because of the ins*nity of the theocratic conservatives. I'm a loving parent and am as pro-choice as ever. Why would I not be??? Parenthood should be an active and timely choice, not a forced one, and certainly not one imposed by a bunch of old men in government. People should behave responsibly in their s e x lives, with *bortion as a last resort, but it must always be a readily available option to women who choose not to become mothers at that time. It's primarily the older folks in this nation lately who just don't seem to get it. The younger generations overall may not be as well educated as they should be, but at least they're less inclined to be theocratic big*ts who want to impose their pretend sky f*iries on the masses. The right wing T*liban in this country is sick, sick, sick.

It never fails to befuddle how the Rethuglic*ns preach smaller government but want to inflict their twisted theocracy on society using that same government. MAJOR FAIL.

February 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • Liz

Free Thinker – Sky Faeries – LOVE IT

February 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • Floyd

You are a hateful person. You don't deserve a say.

February 18, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • Myynnxx

Free Thinker is right.

Floyd – Incorrect sir. You don't have a uterus, YOU have no say.

February 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
    • Arick

CNN has every right to censor posts on the site that it owns. Freedom of speech does not apply here since it is not government controlled.

February 18, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • Liz

So, Free Thinker................ Is that free thinking only for you? Can't someone have an opposing view and not get blasted off the page for his own opinion? Goodness. There are lots of people who aren't Republican, or "right wing nuts", or any other name, but are pro-life. And for those who belong to Christian churches, especially Catholic, abortion is not acceptable. That's their belief. Clearly Justin has been raised in the Christian faith so naturally he'll have those values. They might change as he ages, and they might not. But let's hope that this country keeps allowing each to his own opinion. You need to climb down off of your soapbox. Justin B. was stating how he feels. You can disagree without degrading someone and calling them names. Or in your case, I guess not.

February 18, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • Floyd

Myynnxx is a hater too. Hate only men and the women who disagree with you do ya? People full of hate do not think clearly and cannot be trusted. Try accepting people and their opinions and maybe you'll have a happier life with healthy debate and less hate. The kid was asked a question, he answered honestly. You hate him because he has a different view. How arrogant of you.

February 18, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • Free Thinker

Wow, such interesting replies. I certainly do not hate Bieber, in fact I think he has a lot of courage to be so young and get in front of large crowds singing and dancing his heart out. I really do give him full credit for that. However, in terms of singing talent itself, sorry, he is just another autotune wonder until he proves otherwise. Still, I thought he did okay overall in his performance at the Grammys. The Best Buy ad was a hoot and one of the highlights of the Super Bowl; we've watched it several times online and laughed along with him.

As for his politics, perhaps he will mature in time and recognize women's rights or perhaps not, but I sure as heck have a say in vehemently stating my disagreement with his opinion by offering mine. And no, I do not hate the kid for his young and immature statement. I do, however, have a very large bone to pick at regarding the adults in our culture who indoctrinate the children with enough unnecessary theocratic mental baggage to scar them for a lifetime. I'm tired of hearing the "immunity to reason by claim of religious exception" defense. I am all for religious freedom, as long as it does not interfere with critical thinking and secular values. As long as the theocrats want to outlaw *bortion, keeping women's reproductive rights free is worth fighting for as much as any democratic cause in American history.

February 18, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
  18. HootyHoo

He's a kid. What intelligent, educated adult would give 2 craps what his opinion is? Especially on an adult topic.

February 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • gpop

THANK YOU!!!

February 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • nurserachet

EXACTLY!

February 18, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  19. Jeepers

My money's on him ending up with 6 different kids by 5 different women by the time he's 30 and not marrying a single one of them.

February 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • Bob's Uncle

So Evander Holyfield's model? 😉

February 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • derp

That's the Cromartie plan.

February 18, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  20. Ken Ansley

Matthew: Hard Hitting JOURNALISM at the Communist News Network? Oh please, you make me laugh almost as Faux being "Fair and Unbalanced"

February 18, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Annoyed

lol why is anyone even bothering to respond to a child's answer to something like that? he doesn't even tie his own shoes. people live and die all the time... if you don't want the baby...stick a wire hanger up there and get it over with. as long as you're rich and white who cares? lmao

February 18, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • Annoyed

how much coke did he do before making these comments? oh only 4 eight balls?

February 18, 2011 at 4:53 pm |