home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. shawn l

Who gives a crap what a teenager who has little to no life experience, or education thinks about any subject.

February 18, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
  2. Lizzy10

It's his opinion, he has a right to one, just like everyone else. It isn't manditory for anyone to agree with his opinion, just as no one has to agree with anyone else on this post. It cracks me up how seriously everyone takes this, he is a kid and doesn't have a lot of life experience or a uterus.

February 18, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  3. EH

Is this really on the front page of CNN? Who the heck cares what Justin Beiber thinks about abortion? Since when did a 16 year old pop star's opinion of abortion matter to anyone? I think we all need to take a long hard look at what we call "news." This is not news people.

February 18, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  4. Simple Person

Abortion is Murder PLAIN AND SIMPLE !! I think that anyone who thinks that murder is wrong but yet they think abortion is right or justified should be sent to prison along with any mother who has an abortion. A person goes to jail for killing someone, A women kills a child by abortion? Whats the diffrence......

February 18, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  5. JR

While I don't agree with his views on abortion, I think it's kind of cool that he went ahead and said them right out loud. More people should have the courage of their convictions.

February 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  6. Sandra

Although I hate his hair, for cryin' out loud-he is only 17 years old. Let him have an opinion already!

February 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  7. Jane

Mother Teresa once said, “The greatest destroyer of peace is abortion because if a mother can kill her own child; what is left, for me to kill you and you to kill me? There is nothing in between.

February 18, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  8. sehrish

He is 17 years old...everyone who is hating on him FOR EXPRESSING HIS OPINION..shut up! He has a right to his opinion..I agree with him 100% ...my bf told me if we ever got prego..then we shud have an abortion..I TOLD HIM straight up..NO...if we commit one sin, i will not commit another because I was having fun! God has a plan..and if that baby needs to come, he/she will

February 18, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • GillenH20

Is he really 17? He's so small, I'm very surprised. Perhaps he has a growth problem (like the late Gary Coleman) which makes him appear younger and will give him a few extra years as a teen heart-throb. But, if he is truly 17, his comments are even more ignorant than I first surmised.

February 18, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  9. GillenH20

This young man has the right to voice his opinion just like everyone else. His youth and ignorance are quite apparent in his comment, but he is, after all, a 15 year-old boy! Therefore, his comments should be taken with a grain of salt. What on Earth are reporters asking this boy these types of questions anyway? What's next, global warming commentary from Snookie?

February 18, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  10. Margaret E

He is a 17 year old boy. Let him believe what he wants, he can change his mind when he grows up.

February 18, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  11. kayner

This is rediculous. This is a comment of a 16 year old. He can say whatever he wants. Freedom of speech people. Shut up already! The fact that The View would even use this as a topic shows their immaturity. The fact that others are using it to their advantage shows how they will take advantage of anything. You people are pathetic!

February 18, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  12. Ramona

I will care about his views on abortion, the day his own body can get pregnant. Until then, my uterus, my business!

February 18, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • aaron

Pretty much sums up the pro-choice movement, huh? My body, I'll do what I want. I don't care that another life (which I created) depends on me, I'll terminate it if I WANT to.

But, that's pretty much where most of society's ills stem from, that the core of humanity is inherently selfish. It's MY money (why should I help someone else), it's MY body (why should I be inconvenienced by another life), it's MY time (why should I donate it to help others). Abortion is just another symptom of the disease, although be it a cruel and inhumane one.

February 18, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  13. Dennis

Why didn't we hear more from him about his "Faith" before, was he trying keep it under the radar and now that he is famous, he starts talking. He would not be who he is if he had been upfront about his beliefs from the beginning. I will no longer listen to him.

February 18, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  14. G.B.

The issue in this case isn't whether or not abortion is right or wrong, moral or immoral, conservative or liberal. It's simply whether or not all of you feel the need to respond to the comments of a 16 year old, or if you feel you're taking guidance from a 16 year old.

What the young man thinks, whether I agree with him or not, is admirable in that he has core beliefs, but what he thinks shouldn't be so important that there needs to be several thousand responses. And the only reason I'm responding is because I find it fascinating how passionate some people here think of this young man.

February 18, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  15. Jon King

When will we start demanding music stars have actual talent? I swear the mass media could take a snail and give it a microphone and the sheep would call it talent.

February 18, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  16. Madtown

Justin Bieber's views on abortion?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Dear Lord, what a pathetic state this country is in. Why would anyone even think to ask this of him, and why would anyone possibly care enough to actually be offended by anything he'd have to say?!

Unbelievable. I thought $arah Palin was evidence of how low we've sunk in this country. Apparently, we're still heading south.

February 18, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • colonelingus

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

February 18, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  17. razorspain

You don't become a citizen until you're born. Citizens have rights. The mother has rights. The unborn should not have rights. Even if you want to define it as killing, let's not pretend that as a society we're so against killing. We are a war-like society. It's interesting how so many pro-lifers are also so in favor of the wars we have raging around the globe. Wake up to yourselves.

February 18, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • David

Two wrongs make a right then? Certainly we ought to make laws that protect individuals and groups who can't protect themselves, right? If you don't know when life occurs then shouldn't we err on the side of caution?

February 18, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • Robert

It's funny how many pro-choicers are against war and liberation but are all for abortion. Makes no sense to me.

February 18, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  18. J

All other potential arguments aside here...

I think it's fairly obvious, if you take a half second before launching off, that his intention is to say that each child has a purpose...the potential for their greatness is not lost whether you think they're far along enough in their development to be considered officially human or not at an embryonic level...

Who couldn't appreciate that view?

February 18, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  19. Sibmnyc

Geez – let the kid have an opinion. He's totally inconsequential – he's 17 AND he's Canadian.

But at the end of the day, at least he's forming his own ideas and opinions. Everyone wants to say that if they're prochoice then their opinion is under threat by the govt blah bla blah but yet they have no problem jumping on someone with a conflicting idea.

Let people think for themselves, regardless of their opinions, at least use the differing ideas to have a real discussion. Not a personality assassination.

February 18, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • Steve

Does the fact that he's Canadian mean something special? Should he be treated with more care, or do all Canadians think/act/speak oddly, so it should be expected or accepted of him? Oh, so he's Canadian...no wonder...

February 18, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • Bob Rock

The problem is, they are not his opinions – he's just parroting the religious pro-life opinions he's been brainswashed with ever since he was a small child. Religious beliefs are a matter of brainwashing, not reason, maturity, or the freedom of the speech. Pure and simple. If you have beliefs not based on reason, facts, evidence and probability, than you believe in nonsense and you are nothing but a brainwashed fool.

February 18, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • shawn l

Who cares what a teenager thinks about anything. Might as well ask him what he thinks about the national debt.

HE KNOWS NOTHING, WHO CARES WHAT HE THINKS!

February 18, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  20. RV

Interesting how everyone hammers him for expressing his opinion. If it doesn't matter then why did Rolling Stone ask the question. It's not like he held a press conference to spout off his views.

February 18, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • Bob Rock

Not his opinions. He dosn't have opinions – he's just repeating what he was told to believe. Sad!

February 18, 2011 at 5:06 pm |