home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. den

Where are you getting the idea that anyone other than 9 year old girls care about what Bieber thinks or says? Give us a break and let this fad disappear.

February 18, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  2. Eugene

you don't"' hope you don't have any kid's

February 18, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  3. Marge

I can't believe people get upset about fetuses. I mean let's get real. I went for my driving test the other day and creamed a couple of real live babies as flat as pancakes. Sure that upset some people, but no one's going to bat an eye at a couple of fetuses. Betty was more upset than anybody, but not even because of the babies. She's mad cause now she has to take me to get my hair done on Wednesdays.

February 18, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  4. BOB

Abortion is one of the sad realities of life, if outlawing it would stop it I'd favor it, but it won't, making it illegal will simply remove the Qualified Dr's from it. Then the rich girls will fly to Canada , Sweden or some other civilized country, the poor girls will turn to quacks or home remedies, some of them will die as a result.

February 18, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  5. HilofBeans

Wow, I wasn't aware that we were all supposed to LOOK UP to a snot-nosed, talentless little teenaged hack simply because he's a Christian. GOOD TO KNOW, THANKS.

Even my 10 year old daughter thinks Bieber is a joke, and that's saying something. Maybe if we ignore him, he'll just go away.

February 18, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  6. WO

Okay, he's 16. Ask him again when he's 21, actually HAS life experience, and lets see the answer then.

February 18, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  7. Byron

There are two different views on pregnancy in this matter.
    Some people are only viewing the first 9 months, and some are viewing the first 9 months and next 18 years. Who cares when life begins,responsibilty begins when the child is born, and that is what people are chosing to or not chosing to take on. Responsibility for a life is the real debate over abortion.

February 18, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
    • aaron

False, responsibility begins when you make the decision to risk a pregnancy. Being "irresponsible" during pregnancy can cause birth defects, premature birth, etc. Also, someone else can be held criminally liable for harming or killing a baby in the womb during commission of a crime (including homicide). It would appear the "responsibility" is established in numerous ways before the birth of a child.

February 18, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  8. OurPlanet

How nice a little boy is stating he is against abortion, as if he is going to ever have to have one.

February 18, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  9. EmeraldCity

Ah well. A chip off of mother. He's been properly indoctrinated and all.

And this: [In the case a r*pe], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that."

Pay close attention to your 2nd sentence there, JB, and re-evaluate the first. Then, you might just one day have a clue.

February 18, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  10. ieat

are people seriously giving this KID, a TEENAGER, a hard time over this? This is a complicated matter for adults. Somehow people expect a 16 year old with a politically correct answer about this? I'm not a Bieber fan but I think his answer is very mature for a young kid. He states that he doesn't think it's right to abort but he acknowledges that he doesn't know what it's like to be in those women's shoes. Give the kid a break!

February 18, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  11. Art

To be without religion and to also be a socialist are two elements of a national socialist party. To only believe in what pure science has to offer us today then ultimately you're left with darwinism. Elements we saw in WWII and it's where we're headed and where history will repeat itself. We should be thanking Justin Beiber for his opinion and being confident, something so many who ridicule him don't have.

February 18, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  12. woodie

I don't mind him having an opinion. But it's a bit disconcerting that his mother brainwashed him. I'm guessing hollywood with put a more liberal edge on him.

February 18, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • Byron

Don't forget he is a kid now.
      I didn't start creating my own opinions until I went to college

February 18, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  13. BOB

So he and Sarah Palin agree.... wonder if the little twerp can see Russia from his home, or can he remember what he reads?

February 18, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  14. Gumby

Ugh. Enough with the godbotting already. God does not exist. Quit trying to force your insipid beliefs on others.

February 18, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
    • Brad

I"m an atheist to, sorta, I don't believe in God but I don't associate with a Group. Anyway, by saying God does not exist in that post, aren't you also then forcing your views on them? Aren't you doing the exact same thing as them? Why do you care? If someone wants to be miserable, let them. If someone wants to feel pathetic, and like their life is not theirs, let them. And if they try to force you to their way, well, kick the crap out of them.

February 18, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  15. Glen Wilson

Pro-Choice supporters are amusing. Abortion stops a life, something you don't want to acknowledge. So you talk about a women's right to choose as if that is the true issue. Hypocrisy.

This story would not be amazing if it was coming from someone not affiliated with the entertainment industry. Hollywood and the music industry is filled with people that truly believe that it is all about them. It is also filled with people that believe in tolerance and freedom of expression, as long as you agree with them on these type of issues.

February 18, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • BOB

February 18, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
    • KED

I agree with you in part of your stance. However, the issue is spin doctored from both sides. Let's hammer this issue down to what it stands for: Abortion. And there are two sides, pro-abortion, anti-abortion, plain and simple. Not pro-choice, not pro-life. The reality is that many out there beating the pro-life banter, wouldn't do anything extra to take care of these babies if born into unwanted households, or even non-existent households. Nor would they want their taxpayer dollars going to socially funded programs to help support them once born, if neglected by their biological parent(s). So, it's easy to say something like, I'm pro-Life from a distance, but how many would truly get their hands dirty to get in there and make sure these kids are appropriately provided for?

It's simple, either you're for abortion or against it. But enough with the semantics and call a spade a spade.

February 18, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  16. rkm63

Biebers not getting pummeled because of his views on abortion, he's getting attacked for being a christian and having the nerve to profess it in a very popular publication. This is right out of the Saul Alinsky playbook that the liberal/progressives live by. Keep your chin up Justin and be proud, don't let these thugs intimidate you!!!

February 18, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • an angry man

Correct you are. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion AS LONG AS IT IS NOT the Christian view point. Everyone else that agrees with the left / liberal point of view is welcome to state their viewpoint. Double standards are such a great thing !!!

February 18, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
    • Cherly

I agree. Good for him for being "politically incorrect" especially in the entertainment world.

February 18, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • Brad

hahahha, funny, the vast majority of people in America are christian, but oh, christianity is under attack. shut up, you people make me sick, you can say whatever you want about any other religion, or atheist, and it is ok, but they say one thing about christianity, and christians are under attack, being persecuted. I'm so sick of all of you, religiouse and non-religious, all you people do is whine and cry about being attacked. Here is an idea, shut up, believe what you want, do what you want, and just shut up shut up shut up!!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  17. mlb mom

Not sure why everyone feels the need to be so insistent that these aren't HIS opinions. Is it because he disagrees with yours? I say good for him that he's willing to stand up and oppose something that most people have a strong opinion about. Just because someone is prolife doesn't mean that they have been brainwashed by the church or by Christians. I'm Christian, I don't attend church (haven't in years and barely went growing up) but as a Mom of two I can say definitively that an embryo is life. If a heartbeat can be detected at 4 weeks then how can you say it's ok to abort that fetus at 8? Would you also say that it's ok to kill a newborn because it's incovenient to someone's lifestyle?

February 18, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • joeshmo21

Multiple controlled studies have shown nocireceptors (pain receptors) do not develop until the range of 18-22 weeks. Prior to this stage abortions don't scientifically cause any pain to the fetus/embryo.

February 18, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • aaron

Joe, what does the ability/non-ability to "feel" pain have to do with anything?

February 18, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
    • Brad

Well, yeah, the bottome line is, people abort babies because it is incovenient for them. They don't want the responsibility, so hey, lets murder and say we didn't. I just hope, they everyone who has ever had an abortion, has a horrible, miserable life, and the best part is. This is the only life we get, so your one and only chance at happiness, will be taken away, just like your took that babies life away. Abortionist are useles, waste of space on this planet, they are not humans, they do not matter, and society should not help them in anything. That is just my opinion though, later.

February 18, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  18. JoeSchmo

alli have to say is: purity rings

February 18, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  19. NoGr8rH8r

What the hell does a 16 yr old know anyway??? Bieber doesn't even know his hair looks stupid! Abortion is a necessary form of birth control – like it or not. How many more unwanted people do we need running around this spinning rock ? Half the population shouldn't have been conceived anyway! More Abortions , Less Suffering

February 18, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
    • an angry man

You are a complete moron. An unborn baby has just as many rights as you do (although due to your stupidity, you don't deserve any) Abortion is not birth control, it is just a way for irresponsible people to become even more selfish and if killing an unborn child is the cost, then they don't care. They only care about themselves anyway. Kind of like the person you see in the mirror everyday.

February 18, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • kyre

I believe you mean population control. It seems a lot easier to just sterilize people once they've had a kid or two... However, who would be the judge of who gets to procreate and how would they do that?

February 18, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  20. Philip

If it cant come out of the womb and stay alive, then it should be able to be aborted. Its not a "living being" unless it can live on its own. You cant kill an embryo. Thats stupid. Its part of the body, that is staying alive because the mother is alive.

February 18, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • MoneyDomme

Too bad there are not more of us that feel the same way.

February 18, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • bryan

So if you are dependent on medication or family to take care of you as you get older, should we just be able to choose to kill you?

February 18, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • morgans

dumb

February 18, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • sockpuppet

hey dummy it stops being an "embryo" very early on-it's a fetus. ANd a fetus is just an under-developed baby. Why don't you actually look at a week-by-week video of the development of fetuses? People are aborting BABIES, they are not just sucking out a little cluster of cells, like they want you to believe.

February 18, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
    • Marsha

Idiot, a 2-year old can't stay alive, unless an adult feeds and protects it. This is a fallacious argument.

February 18, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
    • MrBossman

Well technically, according to mr. bieber here, most women get an abortion once a month.

February 18, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • Rob

I wish more people felt that way. No baby can "live on its own", so we should be able kill them all. According to our Declaration of Independence, people are "endowed by their creator" with rights. From the moment they are created they have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness until that right is taken away by their Creator. Neither the mom or the dad created the baby. Rights are not given us by the government, but the sole purpose of the government is to protect our rights.

February 18, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • aaron

Really, this is the best argument you can come up with? An infant out of the womb can't survive without the mother...what is our education system teaching people???

February 18, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
    • Shan

Why do any of us care what a 16 year old boy (remember to subtract 4 years) has to say about abortion???????? Celebrity or not.

February 18, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
    • Adam

"It's not a living being unless it can live on its own."
      So, by that logic, a two year old child should be legally subject to abortion. I mean come on – they can't live on their own, they depend on a parent's care.
      Furthermore, even if your point was something like "unless it could survive outside the womb with reasonable care" you're defining life based on the state of modern technology. The survivability of a baby born prematurely has increased greatly in the last 30 years.
      In short, this is a moronic comment, and just as disturbing and sad as comparing a gestational infant to a cancerous tumor growing inside a body.
      Some of you make me physically ill.

February 18, 2011 at 5:38 pm |