home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. F_Bieber

So posting "I like Justin Bieber" doesn't get blocked, but quoting George Carlin on the subject does?

February 18, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  2. No-hommed

38 pages of discussion/comments about what Justin Bieber thinks about ANYthing??? You have all lost your minds. WHO CARES!!!!???? Justin: SHUT UP AND SING. FAR AWAY.

February 18, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • F_Bieber

Huh?

February 18, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  3. F_Bieber

I like Justin Bieber

February 18, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
  4. mike

Yet you brought me out of the womb; you made me trust in you even at my mother's breast. From birth I was cast upon you; from my mother's womb you have been my God. Psalm 22:9-10

The word of the LORD came to me, saying, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations". Jeremiah 1:4-5

When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!” And Mary said: “My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:41-47

Did not he who made me in the womb make them? Did not the same one form us both within our mothers? Job 31:15

And now the LORD says— he who formed me in the womb to be his servant to bring Jacob back to him and gather Israel to himself,
    for I am honored in the eyes of the LORD and my God has been my strength— he says: “It is too small a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those of Israel I have kept. I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.” This is what the LORD says— the Redeemer and Holy One of Israel—to him who was despised and abhorred by the nation, to the servant of rulers: Kings will see you and stand up, princes will see and bow down, because of the LORD, who is faithful, the Holy One of Israel, who has chosen you.” Isaiah 49:5-7

February 18, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
  5. JTSilvertooth

Really- arguing politics with Justin Bieber is kind of like a Gladiator smashing butterflies with rocks- that fact that this is even reported shows all empty between the ears at that end of the information highway. Who cares? Rolling Stone was stupid to ask and CNN is worse for wallowing in it. Come on he is a teeny bopper.

February 18, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  6. F_Bieber

Got blocked, sorry I thought Justin was being mean and stupid, too. I was just reciprocating.

February 18, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  7. Parrish

Who cares what Justin Bieber thinks about anything. The kid is not old and wise enough to have views on anything. I hope one of his handlers isn't forcing him to take a stance on things like this, because it's not fair to him. And honestly, who F'ing cares what Justin Bieber thinks about anything? Where have we come as a society that what a 16 manufactured pop "star" thinks influences anyone and causes such an uproar.

And shame on you CNN. This is NOT news. Why is it even on your web page? All this has done is add fuel to a fire.

And speaking of the fire, get over it people. Everyone has the right to their opinion, and their's and their god's are the only ones that should matter. I for one am disgusted that this is where we have found ourselves.

February 18, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  8. Ajax

What's the big deal? I'm pro-choice but have no problem with someone saying they are anti-abortion. We all have the right to our opinion. If the Biebs was blowing up abortion clinics, that would be different. But he made it clear in the interview that he is not in the situation, so wouldn't judge. We just live to cook up controversy when there is none, don't we CNN?

February 18, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  9. Joe M.

He didn't say he'd impose his views on other people, just that HE doesn't believe in abortion. Just goes to show you that there is literally no upside to making your views on abortion known.

February 18, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  10. Matty13

Quite a few times this has happened. I'm really getting tired of it. One time I sent a person with the cure for cancer. Another time I sent a person with the ability to bring peace to all the nations. And yet another time I sent the greatest musician ever. And the engineer I sent. Oy, She was going to perfect fusion. That would solve everything. But you killed them all, before they even had a chance. Ok, fine. Doesn't matter to me. You can wait a little longer. Yours Truely, God.

February 18, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • jennifer armintrout

Perhaps God would have had better luck if he'd used his omniscience to find a woman who actually wanted the kid who grows up to cure cancer. Just a thought.

February 18, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • Evolved DNA

Matty.. God....why don't you stop using human wombs and start to act like a god the believers think you are. The story goes that you used on once before to produce a baby I thought you could have made one of your own rather than one owned by a married woman....

February 18, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
    • vivi

Then I guess God isn't all he's cracked up to be then! Isn't he suppose to know the future? Yes or no? If so, what a complete waste of time and effort on his part because he knew that child would never be born. Sounds kind of stupid if you ask me!

February 18, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  11. Marsha

I had an abortion on July 18, 1966, and I still regret it.

February 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  12. JTSilvertooth

The fact the the press has nothing better to do than report Justin's political views shows how much wasted space there is between the ears at that end of the super information highway. Rolling Stone was dumb to ask and CNN is dumb to repeat it. The kid is like 15 years old – give him a break- he's just out there doing teeny bopper stuff- I don't really listen to it but what does his religion have to do with all of it? Honestly all of the "Christian" stuff makes it less likely for me to listen and I certainly don't agree with him but what is all of this noise- it's absurd and you people ought to get real jobs. Fighting with Justin over politics is kind of like a gladiator smashing butterflies with rocks.

February 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  13. DM

He is naive and inexperienced. He is clueless. Why would someone even ask this of him?

February 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  14. Frank

Women have an abortion every menstrual cycle and men kill trillions of innocent sperm in their lifetimes. Boohoo. If embryos and fetuses have rights how come I can't claim them as a dependent, because the government doesn't recognize them as people. It's a choice and verily so. If we can't take a step towards progress at some point in this decade with topics like abortion and evolution being held back by religious beliefs we are going to end up as a third world country. We will be fighting over our idiotic religious beliefs just like Israel and Pakistan. Unfortunately I feel the movie Idiocracy might come to fruition.

February 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • nick

i couldn't agree more w/ you!

February 18, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • Liz

Frank: Specifically, menstrual cycles shed the lining (blood) of a woman's uterus if there isn't anything growing there; like a fertilized egg. How is that an abortion? And men kill sperm? How's that happen? No, don't tell me. You need some biology classes. The egg and the sperm have to join together to be considered a viable form of life.

February 18, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
    • Think

A woman's menstrual cycle is not an abortion. If you remember from your health class, each egg and sperm only carry half of our genetic code. Individually they have 0 potential in becoming a new human being. Only once they are joined through fertilization are they a human being. Killing this newly formed human being is what abortion is.

February 18, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
  15. Terri

The host asked his belief and he answered the question. Just like all of you are expressing yours here, he did also! Leave the boy alone! He is allowed to express his CHRISTIAN beliefs, just as you Atheist are allowed to express yours. GET OVER IT!!!! Just like you can't change my belief of PRO LIFE i can't change yours either, so get over it and leave the boy alone for expressing his belief! GEEZ everyone is all about the DRAMA these days....You wonder why this world is so crazy now a days, it is because everyone has taken GOD out of it. You think it is bad now....WAIT you haven't seen nothing yet(Read Revelations)!!!!!! When you see it remember this blog!!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • jennifer armintrout

I'll be too busy being eaten by locusts to remember this blog post.

February 18, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • F_Bieber

Yes, but his opinion sucks.

February 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
    • vivi

@Jennifer- too funny 🙂

To the original poster, we have every right to comment and state our views. JB is a celebrity he knows by commenting on certain subjects he is putting himself out to be either admired or ridiculed. Maybe if he isn't a big enough boy to withstand such debate he should keep his mouth closed on such politically charged subjects. just a thought!

February 18, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  16. Rob

I'm glad I wasn't aborted and was given a chance to live my life.

I wonder how many of those that support abortion would still support it if their mom was going to kill them off?

I'm sure they would want to live too.

February 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • F_Bieber

I am glad for you, too. Now we get to hear your opinion on CNN.com That would suck if we couldn't.

February 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
    • Lauren

Actually, we wouldn't because we'd never have been alive or conscious in the first place. If my mother had chosen to abort me, then so be it. I'd rather have been aborted without ever knowing instead of causing my mother pain and/or endangering her health because I love her that much and I respect my mother and know that she is fully capable of being able to make the choice that is right for the both of us - much like how Sarah Palin says we should be able to entrust the decision of what to feed children to the families. If she had chosen to abort, then so be it. I'm sure she had a very good reason and it's her body that I would've been leeching off of for 9 months and I'd've been her responsibility for the rest of her life.

February 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
    • Guest

I don't understand when someone says this.....If I was aborted I would not be here so I'd have no opinion on the matter.

February 18, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  17. Justlivingmylife

I just wish everyone would leave everyone else alone and quit trying to shove each others opionions down each other throats. The way i feel about opionions is that there crap everyone has one and after reading all of these opionions it makes me want to take one. Everyone just needs to live their lives for what they want to do, and for what or who they want to be. It's your life live it. Do what you want to do. Who cares what anyone else thinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said my peace and i wont be reading any more crap.

February 18, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • F_Bieber

You hate opinions so much you read posts on the internet and reply to them with your opinion.

February 18, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  18. Brad

Who the heck cares about the views of a kid himself?

February 18, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  19. amayakj

i respect him for at least having anopinion although the content of teh question is somewhat inapprprate considering his influence on teh young genraton now. and also considering he was a product of teen pregnancy, i can understand why he would feel strongly about christianity. and for the adults on here bashing a 16 year old...really? how wise of you. no wonder most of your kids are gong round slashing others on social media behind the safety of their keyboard causing people to commit suicide. Hoprfully, Bieber is not teh flavour of the month and he will continue to make music for a long time and influence people to work hard to attain dreams. he came from nothing and is a muti millionaire at 16. Props to you kid and your opinon. and i think its funnier that ppl are disregarding his last sentence which conlcudes that he can't really be the judge of that.

February 18, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
    • F_Bieber

I respect you because it's not nice to be mean to retarded people.

February 18, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  20. taruth

stupid people should not EVER have children...and yet who is more likely to have kids than stupid people?
    they are taking over the earth with stupidity.
    we are doomed.
    genocide is looking like a viable alternative to abortion now.
    thanks cnn.