home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. davey

What pathetic, horrible journalist would take this child down the "abortion" road in an interview? You sad, sorry, degenerate, journalistic loser. You're predictable...but the amount of days you wait to destroy 'icons' is getting shorter and shorter. What was your position on abortion at 17? You probably didn't even know what it was. Can you not think of meaningful questions that expand on the humanity he brings to his fan base? No...you're not 1/100th as creative. How did I find this link? Im i on Fox News?

February 18, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
  2. AnnaCatherine

This is one annoying little SOB.

February 18, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
  3. dave

February 18, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
  4. dave

February 18, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
  5. Will someone please...

...get this annoying chick pregnant!

February 18, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
  6. Ohboy

I'd like to abort some adults after reading a lot of these comments

February 18, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  7. Scott

Late-term abortion is a non-issue since pretty much the only time that has ever happened is because of other disease and or traumatic consequences. It is just more gin to toss down the gullet of people who just can't stand not being able to control women.

February 18, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
  8. sportreform

until a god (or gods) makes an appearance on this planet, this whole religion thing is just a hypothesis relying entirely on one's inclination to believe without proof. Belief in a god is exactly the same as belief in anything else; I could believe that I'll soon win the lottery (or die in a plane crash) but I couldn't provide you with a shred of evidence supporting my belief. Belief = hope (or dread). Belief is bad. Belief has killed millions and millions more human beings throughought the ages than the total number of abortions that have been performed.

February 18, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
  9. Scott

people have a right to their views BUT DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO ORDER ANOTHER HUMAN BEING TO HAVE A BABY THAT THEY DO NOT WANT TO DO.

February 18, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • rachbell

I don't understand why some people can't grab that concept.

February 18, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • Justin O.

You might not "understand that concept" because it's not all about you. For the woman carrying the child it's not all about her. You claim to not want someone to tell you what you have to do...well isn't that child being told exactly what it has to do? Die? Why do you have the right to live but they don't? If you believe it's the right of a woman, what about that half of the children being murdered are women? In ancient times some people in some cultures used to literally throw their babies into the fire and murder them for some idol. Everyone with a breath in this country would scream out about doing that but guess what... THERES ONLY 6 MONTHS DIFFERENCE.

February 18, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  10. Rosie

If men got pregnant, there'd be an abortion clinic next to every Starbucks.

February 18, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • Scott

There would be abortion clinics IN the Starbucks.

February 18, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
    • Troy from S'port

That would be Burger King.

February 18, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • Justin O.

Or perhaps men would have never led the fight for the right to kill their own child, as women did.

February 18, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  11. David

You know, I don't agree with this child (yes, he is still a child) and I honestly dislike his music. However, what I think is FAR more objectionable is that a child star is being featured in a national news service for his beliefs on a serious subject such as abortion. This child is just barely of the age of consent in most states and frankly doesn't have enough velcro in his head at this point make this type of decision, let alone this type of public declaration. I don't begrudge him his viewpoint. Nor do I believe he may not still hold this belief later in life. I do think that he should keep his mouth shut until he knows something and not act as a role model to children in any way other than for singing and dancing...and getting pimped out by the likes of usher. Sing your songs and shut up.

February 18, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
    • Tammy

I agree with you 100 percent, sir.

February 18, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Stephanie

I very much disagree with you. Justin is very much old enough to understand the morally corrupt world that we live in. Therefore, he IS old understand to take a stance on issues such as this. I completely commend him because a lot of people in the public eye would be too chicken to stand up for something that is morally right and would be afraid of "offending" someone. Kudos to you, Justin and God bless you!

February 18, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  12. t.m.

GOOD FOR HIM!!!!! ABORTION=MURDER!

February 18, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
  13. kb2post

The only thing wrong he has done is voice an opinion opposite to the liberal media like CNN. So now it's time for them to start attacking his faith. CNN, why not write an article that defends his rights to speak out against something he believes is wrong? Backlash, I doubt it. I have more respect for him now than ever.

February 18, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  14. ggala

i've just become a justin beiber fan.

February 18, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  15. aaron

Abortion is just a symbolic representation (although a graphic and disturbing one) of the greater disease in our society. Selfishness. I don't want to take responsibility, I don't want to sacrifice, I don't want to put others before myself, I want what you have so I'm going to take it, etc. It's sad but true that it's ok to kill and terminate life out of convenience.

February 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  16. kramses86

I am actually proud of Justin and his mom for standing up for their beliefs! I am Pro-Choice, but feel that Tax payers should not pay for others abortions.

February 18, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  17. Gary

Who cares what a 9 year old thinks.

February 18, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
    • joe

who cares Gary lives in his mom's basement?

February 18, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
  18. What?

Ok gentlemen we've just legistated for you! All males 12 and over must head down to the sperm bank make a deposit, go to the physician's office get a vasectomy. Done... no more unwanted pregnacies. Bieber you're first.

February 18, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  19. Jim

Who gives a flying *bleep* what a 13 year old kid thinks about anything? This is pathetic that all these people are voicing their opinion on such a sensitive subject on a CNN message board about what Justin Beiber thinks about abortion.

February 18, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • JackieInDallas

He's 16, not 13. Not that that makes a whole lot of difference. His opinions should not be so iron clad at this age.

February 18, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • JackieInDallas

Just in case you were wondering...his birthday is March 1, 1994 (1994-03-01) (age 16)

February 18, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
    • CHAD

AGREE.....

February 18, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
  20. Jackie

I dont understand why people who are not Christian are welcome to have their views on faith, abortion, etc. and its just what they believe, but when a Christian is outspoken about their personal beliefs, it becomes a news story. Justin Bieber had already made it clear in previous comments he was a Christian, I dont understand why anyone is surprised about his views on abortion. You know, Justine Beiber seems like he is a really decent, moral kid. My daughters listen to his music, and I would much rather them listen to him than a lot of the others entertainers out there who are constantly in trouble with the law, drugs, and what not.
    Arent there more interesting things in the world to report on than a 16 year olds views on abortion?

February 18, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • Loren

I fully support the right of all Christians – in addition to all the other people on the Earth – to believe what they will and to worship in the way that works best for them.

At the same time, I firmly oppose the desire of some Christians to force their beliefs and practices on everyone else.

February 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
    • Jackie

Yes Loren. I agree. Its very sad that a lot of Christians have gotten away from what a true Christian should be. Jesus says He came to serve, not to be served. Love the sinner hate the sin. Christians are called to be selfless. Jesus didnt push His agenda on anyone. He laid it out there and let that person decide. Jesus loved and accepted people for who they are and where they are, and it was their choice to believe in Him or serve Him. It is the same way today. Jesus is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Sad that many believers dont behave that same way.

February 18, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • Sue

Maybe its because they should their bronze age believes down other peoples throats, Pray to who ever you want but don't tell me or my daughters what are allowed to do with our bodies...

February 18, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
    • Julie

Abortion is not a Christian vs non-Christian issue. I'm a Christian too and I am firmly pro-Choice. And most of the anti-abortion people in the world are probably non-Christian – pro-life is the way to go if you're a *gasp* religious Muslim for example.
      Abortion is a secular issue. Period. Religion has more than it can do just promoting the most basic concepts of spirituality without mucking around in abortion. And I'd stake my soul on a bet that Christ would tell his would-be followers the same thing.

February 18, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • JoeLib

I am not a Catholic or some religious nut, but I am firmly against abortion. Why? Because I once was a pro-choice and I took upon myself to actually watch the procedure. It was murder. It wasn't a thing, or a non-person, It had hands and legs a face and was still moving. Have any of you pro-choice people actually watched the procedure? I think you would change your mind. I am not trying to force my beliefs on anyone, I am against killing babies. When it's just a blob of cells, I don't care – that's not a baby. But at 12 or 16 or even 20 weeks – it's a human being. I don't know where you draw the line but it needs to be before that.

February 18, 2011 at 6:18 pm |