home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Ali

Well, good for Justin Bieber! I think it's great he can tell his opinions as it is and just be himself...and those who think he should've kept his opinion to himself, it was a question in an INTERVIEW. And keep in mind many non-Christians are against abortion (including myself); you don't need to be against abortion for religious reasons.

Go Biebs!

February 18, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
  2. Rob

If I were pregnant with the future Justin Beiber, I'd have no problems douching with a coat hanger.

February 18, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
    • BloodyFetus

Vacuum that hair right off of his head.

February 18, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
  3. Anti-thumper

The government does not control individuals' reproduction. If a woman chooses for personal reasons not to carry a pregnancy to term, it is ultimately her decision. Keep your friggin bible and religious views out of people's private lives. No state should force a woman to have a baby she does not want. You may have your own beliefs about embryos, but don't force them on others who don't share them.

February 18, 2011 at 7:04 pm |
  4. derp

So Bieber is a Christian and is all against abortion, but it's ok that he works with a bunch of cocaine users, making music and performing with them? This kid's whole schtick is BS.

February 18, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
  5. Alexis B.

If you're against abortion try raising not only your own child but also someone else's. My friend is 34, singlewith 3 kids, ages 15, 6 & 3 and had to take custody of her neice because her sister is too much of a deadbeat to raise her own child. The state gives my friend about $200 per month to care for her neice. Maybe someone who is against abortion would like to step up to the plate to help my friend. She needs it.

February 18, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
  6. Alexis B.

If you're against abortion try raising not only your own child but also someone else's. My friend is 34, single with 3 kids, ages 15, 6 & 3 and had to take custody of her neice because her sister is too much of a deadbeat to raise her own child. The state gives my friend about $200 per month to care for her neice. Maybe someone who is against abortion would like to step up to the plate to help my friend. She needs it.

February 18, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
  7. Madchen

Dear Mr. Bieber,
    As you will probably never find yourself pregnant, your opinion on this subject is completely erroneous.
    Thank you.

February 18, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
    • donna

First, 'erroneous' doesn't really work. He isn't making an error about his opinion. Second, we don't have to have direct experience with something to have a valid opinion. Or perhaps, by your logic, we should say that only women who have had an unwanted pregnancy should be allowed to voice their opinions?

February 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm |
  8. Brian

If you like his music who cares about his politics. Personally I don't like either but there shouldn't be a basis whether or not to listen to an artist because of anything but their music

February 18, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
  9. angie

leave him alone. he has a mind of his own and can form his own opinions. YOU have YOUR opinion!! jeez. chill out. WE ARE INDIVIDUALS. when did people stop thinking for themselves???? FREE YOUR MIND!!!!! YOU GO JUSTIN!!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
  10. Chicago Chick in Houston

Oh for goodness sake, who cares what this child thinks??

February 18, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
    • donna

Maybe the people who click on the story...? Like you...?

February 18, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
  11. Jim Gabaldon

NOTE TO KIDS... AND ADULTS: When someone asks you a question about something you cannot answer intelligently, KEEP YOUR BIG MOUTH SHUT! (Hint to bieber). NOTE TO BIEBER: Since you want to knock the US, take your ass back to canada and sell your crappy "music" there! I thought you were cheated out of a crappy grammy, but you really don't deserve one, even from the record label-rigged Recording Academy! Take your junk so-called-music back to canada and try for a Canadian grammy, you fool!

February 18, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
    • MoeB

Wow Jim, you're so smart. I'm sure all those murdered children wish they were asked a question like this. Oh wait, they never had a chance to live. Why should someone be in charge of who lives and who dies. Wouldn't that be playing God?! It's people like you that who are ruining this great Nation!

February 18, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • really?

GEEZ. I hope you're also 16 and not a "grown up" hacking on a child. If so, you need to get a life.

February 18, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
  12. LisaB

He is a male. His opinion doesn't matter.

February 18, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
    • Jim Gabaldon

He's an idiot – his opinion doesn't matter. Men have no business telling women what to do with their bodies. Period.

February 18, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
    • Billy

Until you are the unborn in the womb getting your limbs ripped off, your opinion does not matter either.

February 18, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
    • BloodyFetus

He's a Canadian...his opinion doesn't matter.

February 18, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
    • Jim Gabaldon

Untili you, Billy, the "intelligent" one, can even have a baby, it's not YOUR business either.

February 18, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • Mark9988

He was asked his opinion and gave it. Jim thinks no one can have an opinion unless they are identical in every respect to the person affected by the subject. To apply that logic, Jim can therefore hold no opinion about any issue that does not directly involve his own persona experience, including making commentary on Justin Bieber, since Jim is neither an entertainer, nor a young boy, nor a Bieber.

February 18, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
    • AFGuy77

Get in the kitchen and cook something.....

February 18, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • Billy

Jim, if you agree with what is said, your opinion does not matter either.

February 18, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
    • donna

Why shouldn't his opinion matter? Should we apply that logic to every social issue? Are you saying that fathers and boyfriends and brothers don't have a right to have an opinion about the health and welfare of their female loved ones?

February 18, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
  13. Lucy

Don't give the kid too hard of a time. He's just that- a kid. When I was his age, I had very similar views. I have since changed my opinions, and he may too, eventually.

February 18, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
    • donna

Very good point!

February 18, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
  14. Greg

I wonder if Beiber's ever seen David Cassidy today?

February 18, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
  15. Erik

It is a woman's right to decide if she wants to carry a baby or not. No one should force their opinion on them. You consider it murder, YOU don't do. Don't force your belief on others. You are the one who is going to the raise that fetus and put her life on hold. In my opinion, as long as the fetus cannot live without the mother's body, that is not considered a child. It is a fetus.

99% of women who do late term abortions have very good reasons to do so. There are cases in which the baby has a fetal genetic disease or the baby is deformed. These women if they wanted to have an abortion, they would have done it the first or second trimester.

February 18, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
    • Aaron

Good way to rationalize destroying life! So a child with a metal or physical handicap is not worth living or does not deserve life. Who are you to say your lack of resposibility with your baby making powers should now nullify an indivuduals right to his or hers own life. The minute one becomes pregnant, that person now is responsible for two people not just the one selfish one.

February 18, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
  16. Susie

Abortion is not really any of his business, that is unless he can get pregnant. He right about one thing, he has no idea what it would be like to carry around a rapist's kid and should not sit in judgment. This is a matter between a woman and her Dr. Let's hope it never goes back to being a matter between a woman and some slimy back ally like it use to be.

February 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
    • SteveW928

Is pedephelia none of my business if I don't have a child? What kind of logic are you working with anyway?

February 18, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
    • Jim Gabaldon

Men have no business telling women what to do with their bodies. Period. The ignorant kid could have and should have declined to answer any questions about anything other than his so-called music. He is marketed as an entertainer. Entertainers and celebrities make a huge mistate anytime they stop focusing on their careers, and try being politicians.

February 18, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
    • Mark9988

He said he WASN'T sitting in judgment.

February 18, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
    • SteveW928

But, men do have business when a woman wants to kill another person.

February 18, 2011 at 7:04 pm |
    • Kelli

I am a woman and I happen to agree with Justin Bieber. I guess my opinion doesn't count either, because I don't agree with Susie.

February 18, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • donna

I am pro-choice, but I disagree with the argument that men shouldn't have their opinions heard. We as a society should be free to talk about all social issues. Now I certainly don't think any man should have the right to tell me to do with my body, but I also don't think any woman should have that right.

February 18, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
  17. KidCanada

The most shocking part of this entire news article is that a 16 year old boy has "control" over the world's youth!
    Where did society go so wrong!

February 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
    • Jim Gabaldon

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in this country, we let three generations of kids graduate from high school without having mastered the English language and without having the basic math skills and sense of personal responsibility expected from a good citizen. I know that's not all who graduated, but I have not doubt it applies to 90% of all people under the age of 40 in this country.

February 18, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
  18. geckopelli

An ignorant child sprouts the dogma of the relgious right–
    How appropriate!

February 18, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • SteveW928

I don't think human rights are just dogma of the religious right.

February 18, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
    • Mark9988

said geckopelli, SPOUTing the 'I hate that other people hold opinions different than my own' dogma of the irreligious intolerant left.

February 18, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
    • MoeB

Forget religion! Whatever happened to morals and being responsible for your actions?! You should be proud that a teenager actually stands up for what believes!

February 18, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
    • Billy

I was athiest and became Pro-Life because of science, I am now drawn to religion in part because they defended life all of these years.

February 18, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
  19. Kevin Cantu

Lot more things then Abortion to worry about people. Last time I checked the American people could really care less about Social Issues atm. They want jobs and the national debt brought under control. Could also care less about a 15 year old's opinion especially if he's Canadian.

February 18, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • SteveW928

We have bigger things to worry about than over 1 Million children being killed every year?

February 18, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
  20. StevieBoy

Naive kid – had no respect for his Disney music before and now really have no need for his opinion on matters of the world...geeez!

February 18, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • SteveW928

Yea, the nerve of that guy.... being against killing babies.

February 18, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
    • Julie

He's actually not a Disney kid. And the magazine asked for his views. That is called freedom of speech. Don't like it, don't read it.

February 18, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
    • really?

Justin Bieber is just a kid. He just said what he said. I have no clue why people are so freaked out about this.
      And he is NOT a Disney creation. This kid is a true musician and took the musician's path without the help of Disney or Nickelodeon. He plays 8 instruments and was playing drums in a band with 20 somethings when he was 8 years old. Go see the movie. He's a wunderkind.

February 18, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
    • Kris

The only issue that I have is the fact that we are asking an influential teenager to give an opinion on a very serious topic without knowing whether or not he has had the education or done any research to back up what he is saying. How can this teenage entertainer have any concrete knowledge regarding pregnant women, teen pregnancy or unwed single mothers and their reasons for wanting or not wanting an abortion? You could ask a doctor, a single mother, a women who has had an abortion, a social worker etc. Why are you asking a teenage boy about abortion?

February 18, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
    • Kidd

Why is Rolling Stone even asking a kid this question anyway. A kid is not fully informed of all the facts and therefore is not capable of forming a solid opinion. I think it was a set up. No matter which way he answered people were going to be upset. It is his right to be against abortion just as it is the the rights of pro-choices to feel the way they do. Americans are all about their "freedom of speech" rights but really only extend those right to the people who agree with them. I have seen many people crucified in the American press for exercising their rights. Careers destroyed and jobs lost.

February 18, 2011 at 7:21 pm |