home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Matt 7and34

He's an under-aged kid! Is this news? My god, people, put the priorities in order. He's a young man still learning life and making opinions that are going to evolve over time. Wardrobes are a big choice to him right now, for crying out loud. Stop making this kid out to be such a larger than life person.

February 18, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
  2. Joe

I read a lot about the rights of girls who make bad choices but who defends the right of the life that is being killed who is innocent? Why can't adoption be a choice rather than murder?

February 18, 2011 at 7:33 pm |
  3. Anavay

Before you judge him, keep in mind that he is just a boy. Let him abide by his Christian faith if he wants to as it is doing no harm to anyone and is sending a positive message to young girls. I think its unfair that he was asked these questions when he clearly hasn't experienced the world enough in the same way that a normal adult would. Leave it to the end of his statement "haven't been put in that position so can't judge."

February 18, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
  4. Upperhand

Women and little girls should keep their legs closed when a male approaches them with a stiff peter. -SMILE

February 18, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
  5. robert

Read the entire text of his comments from the interview! Stick with the issue of abortion, don't attack a person because of their beliefs. Ad hominen arguments (attacking the person instead of intelligently discussing the issue) are always ugly. We can do better:)

February 18, 2011 at 7:28 pm |
  6. TKOaries

I care because CNN tells me that I should care. Now if I can just remember where I put my car keys. A little help CNN?

February 18, 2011 at 7:28 pm |
    • Afridi

nzakzgsffmjhiu.b.sppn, Online roulette tips, tsGEepm, Can you take eecotrlnic cigarettes into israel?, czZClOo, revitaslim, GgMbYVi, Free only free vidio slots online to play for free, NIDgazW, Hcg went off diet for two days, nEVKYrr, Play free online slots for fun, YyEDAmk.

April 4, 2012 at 12:33 am |
  7. Laurie

What an on track moral compass he has! Good for Justin for not being afraid to speak what he believes!

February 18, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
  8. hobart

Is it too late to send him back to Canada?

February 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm |
    • ep

February 18, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
  9. ss

Bieber's own mother should have had an abortion...He is the poster child of why it should remain legal!

February 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm |
  10. Kendall

"Men have no right to tell women what to do with there bodies." Gender is actually irrelevant here isn't it? If it was a 16 year old girl making the comment then pro choicers would be arguing that is ok for her but she doesn't have any buisness telling another woman what she should do with her body. Pro lifers will argue that woman and men can be told what they can't do with their bodies as long as what they are doing with their bodies are hurting someone else. This is when the pro choicer will say that the embryo/fetus is a part of the woman's body and the pro lifer will say that it is a person and thus should be protected. The reality is these are the same arguements that we have been disagreeing on for decades and it is getting kind of old going back and forth with the same arguments. The most interesting thing about this whole story to me is how up in arms people can get over the opinion of a 16 year old kid.
    Whether you agree with the kid or not it is no surprise that he would hold the view he does considering the faith that he has.

February 18, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
  11. Leisa

I would say to Justin... I am proud of you for taking a stand for what is right and speaking out for those who cannot speak for themselves, but please, don't just tell people that God loves them and not tell them about Jesus. You answer to the Lord, not to people. You won't drive the sheep away and the goats will never come to Him. So just preach the truth and sing the truth and never be ashamed to take those harder bigger steps. If you lose fans, big deal, God always provides for those who belong to Him. Jesus died for you, don't be afraid to fully live for Him.

February 18, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
    • Candy

Preach on Leisa. While I commend his stand, there is no "lukewarm".

February 18, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
  12. Aaron Moore Sacramento, CA

He was asked his opinion and gave it. Next.

February 18, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
  13. Dom

Funny that it only makes headlines or takes criticism if it's someone speaking against abortion...A celeb has the courage to stand up and speak their belief and gets slammed from lefty nuts instead of being respected for having an opinion.

February 18, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
  14. Upperhand

Yeah, why should we worry about the 1 million aborted babies killed every year?1? American Liberals don't have enough blood on their hands....we should actually be finding ways to kill an additional 2-3 million babies this way these blood thirsty fascists can at least start quenching their blood lust. -SMILE

February 18, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
    • akgrannie

Let me understand that you are against abortions; what about the 12 years who are made pregnant by their biological fathers? Or even young girls? so, it is ok to let them carry the child full term, even if it means the young girl could die giving birth? Oh I get it, it is fine with you if the mother dies, as long as your stand on life makes it point about abortion. Interesting.

February 18, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
  15. joe

I think it's funny that so many people jump straigh to freedom of speech without really understanding it. Just because I say "I disagree with justin beiber" doesn't mean I'm taking away his freedom of speech. I have the same freedom to disagree that he has to say it. I have freedom of speech too.

February 18, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
    • Tia

I've noticed that too. People think that voicing disagreement is somehow violating someone else's freedom of speech. If only people would engage their brains and think about it.

February 18, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
  16. Emmitt Langley

Great job Justin...but get ready for the storm. The "tolerant" left can't bear to actually hear a different opinion.

February 18, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
    • Brownie2

...and the loving Christian right is so often anything but loving.

February 18, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
  17. jennifer

i'd love for nothing more than for him to get knocked up at 14 years old. then what, bieber? sure would be nice to have a choice in that situation, wouldn't it?

February 18, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
  18. John

Ummm...who cares. He's some teenage pop star that will be all but forgotten in 5 or 6 years. Too much is made of what celebs say anyways. They aren't smarter or better than anyone else yet so many people treat their words like the gospel. They should just shut up and do whatever it is they do.

February 18, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
  19. Kate

Ahh, I made the mistake of noting the kid is one of those who blames the victims so the post got yanked. CNN Religion would much rather this be about numbers than the kid's actual warped morality.

What do you have to be afraid of, CNN? you agree with him that it's the victim's fault as well?

February 18, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • donna

If you are opposed to abortion in all cases *except* for women/girls who were victimized, then you are saying the fetus of the victim should suffer for the actions of his father. If you think abortion is wrong to the unborn child of woman who consented, then it is just as wrong to the unborn child of the woman who didn't. That's not blaming the victim, that's being consistent in your belief that the unborn child suffers.

February 18, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
  20. truthinrock

This was "Big Breaking News"?! Who in the world beside 12 year old girls listen to this overexposed teenager? Anyone over 30 knows a 16 year old knows exactly NOTHING about the world.

February 18, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • shane

I recently took my little girl to see this film. It had a very positive message. I knew nothing about Justin Bieber, but now have a new found appreciation for his talent. I now have no problem listening to his cd with my girls.

February 18, 2011 at 7:23 pm |