home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. georjetset

WOW...thanks everyone for taking the time to comment! I'm glad that there is someone out there whose opinion can inspire so many to give their 2-cents. See...we are not ALL zombies ;o)

February 18, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
  2. Jweller

He's too young to have a thoughtful, informed opinion. I believe he's just parroting his parents beliefs and/or the religion most kids are force-fed growing up.

February 18, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  3. alumette

This kid is not in a position to understand what abortion is about. He is not old enough to vote and has not been educated on the topic. I assume he is vented his parents or mother's opinion on it. He needs to mind his own business and stick to his songs...or he will alienate potential peers...and mess up his singing career. Maybe Palin will adopt him.

February 18, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • alumette

typo: venting. Sorry.

February 18, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
  4. Felix Lenoel

Listen Bieber, you eat fertilize eggs right! In essence you are killing life. Do you know that fishes produce billions of fertilize eggs and do you think that they are all born? No, most of them are eaten by other fish. My point is that only fertilize wanted human eggs can create a life because they are wanted. The unwanted fertilize eggs, well! This earth is already ruined by excess of population, with no hope for a balance of the chain of life. Well Bieber with your narrow mind your wanted grand children will not have a chance at life.

February 18, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
  5. Frank

If an embryo is not human, then what is it?

February 18, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
  6. Joe

It's funny how conservatives want "Freedom of choice" and "limited government" for big corporations in this so-called "free market", but they want to regulate what you do with your bodies, whom you married, what you do in your bedrooms, what you can buy on Sundays, and what diety you should believe in. so much for "freedom".

February 18, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
  7. keith

who cares what he thinks, his a kid singer with money why should i care what he has to say? when he grows up and understands the real world not the world he lives in with stars hes opinion may mean something until then i dont care what he or any other star has to say, we put way to much time on listening to these stars give me a working persons view and ill listen.

February 18, 2011 at 7:56 pm |
  8. concernedfutureadult

I think that this whole conversation is dumb. Women should have the right to choose. Period. Put yourself in the eyes of the mother with a very sick baby, and if the baby is born, there is a high rate of both the mother and child dying. Put yourself in the shoes of the teenage mother that isn't fit enough to give birth. The opinions of male senators and representatives mean nothing. They have never been put in that situation and therefore should not make the choice. I applaud the female senator from California.

February 18, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
    • m

adoption?

February 18, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  9. Wiley

Damned men, trying to stifle a woman's right to snuff her own baby! If men could have babies they'd realize it's not just fun to murder each other in war, but the occasional baby killing is also extremely convenient! I mean, its fair game to kill the "fetus" even one second before it pops out, right? I mean, as long as it's still in the womb, it's not really another person, or a baby, it's only a fetus! I mean, a separate mind doesn't mean I can't have some dude severe it's spine and toss in the in the trash! Come on, it's not like it's a puppy or something that people actually want!

February 18, 2011 at 7:52 pm |
  10. Larry

Food for thought.....the Dalai Lama is pro-life. But why wouldn't he be? After all, he is a proponent of human rights. And babies, born or still in the womb, are human none the less.

February 18, 2011 at 7:52 pm |
  11. Dave

Let the liberals hate, who really cares. Kudos to Bieber for standing up for his views, and I imagine he will continue to do so regardless of any vitriol directed at him over a belief in the right to life of all humans, big AND small.

February 18, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
  12. BEK

An who exaclty gives a rat's a** about what that ridiculous little twit thinks about anything?

February 18, 2011 at 7:48 pm |
    • Satan's Abortionist

I really hope he's a closet satanist.

February 18, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  13. JennyTX

I would never have an abortion, but they are legal, and they will stay legal. Get over it. Move on.

February 18, 2011 at 7:47 pm |
    • Dan

So as long as you can turn a blind eye you're cool with them doing something you know you would never do yourself?

February 18, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  14. TTommy

This young man needs someone to sit down with him and give him a good talking to. It's a lose, lose when you talk about politics, religion or abortion. Why he felt a need to comment is beyond me, but he'll learn. He's just a kid. He'll need to get beaten up a bit by the wackos on both sides before he learns not to broach those subjects.

February 18, 2011 at 7:46 pm |
    • Jay

Are you kidding me? Why in the world would the reporter even ask a 16 year old this question?? I think it's the reporter than needs to be sat down and given a good talking to. This reporter knew exactly what he was doing by asking this question...more hits on his story because of the controversy, and this reporter is an adult!! Shame on him!

February 18, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • Brittany

Well at least he is doing something unlike most people in America who would be too afraid to say what they believe in.

February 18, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  15. Bella

Wow....here we have a young star in Hollywood discussing a serious issue in a mature way and instead of respecting his OPINION and applauding his maturity, we backlash against him because we may not agree with his opinion? In this country, we are allowed to protest outside a soldier's funeral ( this is so disgusting it makes me want to vomit) and yet a person cannot feel free to express their opinions without being criticized. This is ridiculous. Leave him alone, he has a right to believe whatever he wants to ( he says "I don't believe" and he is not telling others what to do).

February 18, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
    • Dan

Vitriol often stems from a guilty conscience.

February 18, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  16. Mansur

Dang never seen so many people be so harsh on a kid who really didn't say anything bad. I mean even pro choice people don't believe in abortion all the time. Gosh!! Plus, "HELLO he's a KID!!" lol

February 18, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
  17. Anavay

Ironic in a country with a dominant Christian background we can trash talk each other this nonsense and go back and forth yet when any one of us Christians and atheists alike say anything about a muslim we are silenced, and there is no whining about it.

February 18, 2011 at 7:41 pm |
    • Ismail

So, not true. If, you ever watch Fox News, or where were doing the build to invade Iraq and Afghanistan? nothing but anti islamic veiws. Matter of fact, your allies in Euro have taken big steps to rid there country of Islamic veiws and ideas

February 18, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
    • DougA

Did not know that talking about pro and con abortion was dishing out our religion... And I didn't see any Muslim bad mouthing us here. Don't know the connection between your point and the deliberations here.

February 18, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  18. Justina

What a good kid! Let's see what Pagan West does to him.

February 18, 2011 at 7:41 pm |
  19. jason

The greater the supposed "need" for abortions in a society, the greater the level of irresponsibility of the society.

The fact that abortion is such a "hot" issue means there are greater ills within our society that need to be addressed. The fact that abortion is so necessary points to greater depravity of our "civilized" culture. It's pretty sad.

February 18, 2011 at 7:40 pm |
    • saganhill

Really? I think that what is sad is the religious fanatics who think they know what non-existant god wants. If abortion is such an abomination then why do we kill over a non-existant god? Why do we say this non-existant god is on our side in the mists of war and our enimies say the same thing? What is sad is the amount of humans who believe in an invisable god who wants them so save unborn fetuses and pretty much says to hell) with the people already here on this Earth.

February 18, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
    • jason

I'm sure you do think that's sad, my point is validated. You'd rather argue religion then to see the truth in my statement. That, my friend, is the tragedy.

February 19, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
  20. Jeff

Imagine what an aborted child could have been if the child lived. The next Mozart, someone who cures cancer or AIDS. Of course that child could be the next Hitler or Mao. Imagine if your mother aborted you? Abortion does make an impact on life. Regardless on what anyone believes.

February 18, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
    • loreeeebeeeeeee

Well, if that had happened, I would not be aware of it, now would I?

Beiber is a young idealistic boy. When he is all grown up in the real world he will see that there is never just ONE solution to anything.

February 18, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
    • Joe

If your mother aborted you, you wouldn't be around to care. Before you were born, you were dead. Were you all that concerned? Your logic sucks. The world has plenty of unwanted and starving children, we dont need anymore. I'm not really for abortion, but i am definitely for birth control!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 7:56 pm |
    • saganhill

What if? What a rhetorical piece of nonsense. You could say that about anything and get the same results. Abortion is none of your business and the decision only belongs to the women or couple in question. You have absolutely no right to tell someone what they can or can not do with their body and what is inside it. Abortion should not even be up for debate and should not be a platform in politics. A total waste of tax payer money.

Its funny you are so obsessed with a non human fetus but yet you and fellow christians do nothing to help the people faced with genocide going on in the Congo in Africa, children going hungry here in the states, and other atrosities happening to people around the world. What if one of these people were the next one to find a cure for cancer? After all, these people are already here.

February 18, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
    • saganhill

@Joe please... "Before you were born, you were dead?" What logic is that? Before you were born you did not exist, so how could you have died?

February 18, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
    • Joe

@ saganhill
      No, your logic sucks. You confuse the act of dying with being dead. Being dead is the same thing as not existing. Being not born..is the same thing as not existing. Therefore the two are equivalent, and you're not smart enough to figure that out on your own without help. Sad really.

February 18, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • Tired of Hipsters

I you had been aborted I would have not read your comment and my life wouldn't be any different.

February 18, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • Andy

saganhill you're an idiot. Christians don't care about the Congo? They're some of the main groups over there. Also, there are many Christian groups right here in the U.S. that focus on the homeless. If you have an argument about abortion, keep it that way. Don't run your stupid trap and make things up.

February 18, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
    • saganhill

@Andy...I rest my case and you just pointed out what I have always said about christians. They want to own you and your unborn fetus, the hell) with everyone else. And I have made my argument about abortion, read up the post. Abortion is none of your "*god damn*" business. YOu have no right to tell someone what they can or cant do with their body and whats inside it. Who do you think you are? Some invisible god?

February 18, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
    • saganhill

LMAO @ JOe, you're confusing the old Chicken and egg argument with death and life. "The act of dying with being dead?" LMAO again.... Death and life are two totaly different things. Not being born and being dead is NOT the quivalent. Not being born means nothing and only means that two humans have not had 53x. There is no spiritual notion to it. Being dead means you had a life and it ended. Dying means you will be dead soon. Such childlike notions you have Joe. Very sad.

Sorry Joe, CNN and their christian counterparts wont let me say that word that starts with "S" and ends with "X". Imagine that?

February 18, 2011 at 8:42 pm |