home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Jamas

Dudes...this is the Biebs! I appeal to you – sheath your sharp-tongued words!!

February 18, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
  2. shutahekup

Way to go kid! Stand up for your beliefs, everyone else does.

February 18, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
  3. markiejoe

Bieber needs to keep his pie hole shut. He's just a bubble gum-chewing little boy. He waded in way over his head on this one.

February 18, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  4. Derek Reid

Are there really 2200 comments in response to what this little boy thinks? anyone want to interview my 10 year old? Really funny!

February 18, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
  5. Catholic MOM and Wife

It's a trap question, and honestly I have no idea why he even entertained it. You cannot win, regardless if you believe in your answer. But let me ask you this. Why are there only two options to this? Pro Life or Pro Choice, last i looked this was a muliti colored issue, but with a black and white answer?? Now regardless of what you believe, hold your answer in your head. Now let me ask you this. So if you are pro choice, i guess you will be at the defense of the doctor that killed his patience and the children with late term abortions. Sorry – don't argue and make excuses – remember this is black and white, so this is YOUR answer to unwanted children. But dont worry, i can really be GREAT at flipping the coin – Pro Lifers – Are you honestly going to stare at a mother that is dyeing and tell her – you keep that baby in your body regardless of what is happening to you? Don't argue and make excuses – this is black and white and what you believe. Until "WE" learn that is this mulit colored issue, and we should be neither. We also need to learn to stop judging. Last time I picked up the bible it told me that the only person that can judge a person's true sin is not me, therefore, I'm not going to belittle you about your choice – I might not agree with it, but I will not belittle you about it either. I expect the same respect. Which is what this all boils down to.

February 18, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
  6. John

I always thought Justin Bieber was an idiot... but now that I know he is a christian, that puts him into a whole new level of dumb!

February 18, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  7. what the hell is a beiber anyway

this kid is what, 10, 12 years old? He has no idea what the hell he's talking about.

February 18, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  8. splasher6

Where is his handler??? The liberal press will have a field day with this now.

February 18, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  9. John

Why is this news? Does anyone really care what this little girl thinks about abortion? Next lets find out what Miley Cyrus thinks about Gun Control, and what Fergie has to say about worker's unions! Stop listening to celebrities so much! Especially ones that are not even adults!

February 18, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  10. Richard

Why would they ask this question of a 17 year old singer? Why would his family or handlers allow him to answer. Shame on both parties.

February 18, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  11. Roscoe

Let Bieber spend a couple nights in one of the prisons and then he can decide if things happen for a reason.

February 18, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  12. Lou Cypher

People should be required to state whether or not they are for or against abortion on their tax forms. For those who are against it, any refunds they would normally receive will be automatically donated to a pool to help feed, clothe and educate unwanted children.

February 18, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
    • Mark

People should be required to state whether or not they are for or against KILLING TODDLERS on their tax forms. For those who are against it, any refunds they would normally receive will be automatically donated to a pool to help feed, clothe and educate unwanted children.

February 18, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  13. brett

Over 1/3 of pregnancies end in abortion!!!! If you don't find that alarming, there is something wrong with you!!!

February 18, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
    • Hortense and Her Enormous Cat

I think that is wrong - it is far too low.

February 18, 2011 at 9:40 pm |
  14. sublime

Once again, I say, as a Christian, there is no place for Christians in the argument about governmental policies. Morality, kindness, faith are tenets of an individual and not things that should be forced upon a culture. We, as Christians, need to allow people to make their own choices. Never should we(Christians) presume the will of God. We should act upon our faith. The fact is, abortions are legal... Like it or don't like it. It doesn't matter. It is the law. I ask that all Christians look at their surroundings and see who needs help. Don't judge, help with compassion and caring. Feed the hungry, take a sick person to the doctor, pray for those who ask for prayer BUT don't assume that because you are a Christian that your interpretation of morality is best. Those assumptions only build walls between you and those that can desperately use the REAL help that you can provide as a person living on this Earth. Take five minutes and drive down your street. When you can honestly say to yourself, "No one here is in need" then jump on a soapbox, throw out some "quasi-Christian" rhetoric and close the minds of all who listen. Until then, show your worth through actions and not through idyllic supposition. People can't eat opinion, they can't clothe their children with zealous behavior. They can feel comfort with a 50 cent cup of coffee and a smile.

February 18, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
    • Happy To See

It is nice to know that some Christians are aware you can't legislate morality within the confines of one single view point. This nation is the construct of many view points and legislation of that dynamic system is what gives us our strength.

February 18, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • sublime

You are very welcome. I really do believe that God created people to choose, to make mistakes, to learn and to be different. We all live our lives through an amalgam of experiencesIf, in my life, a person derives solace through a hug, kiss or a warm cinnamon roll then I will preheat the oven and not think twice about what they believe. When I know they are full, I will give them a warm hug, a peck on the cheek and the best "well wish" I can muster at the moment. Someday, I may need the same and I hope that I won't get denied a simple pleasure because I choose to believe in something that has no basis other than faith. The world is an amazing place. We need to celebrate our individual natures.

February 18, 2011 at 9:12 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

I can't disagree any stronger. Did not Jesus challenge the teachers of the law? Sorry but they were GOVERNMENT! The Romans allowed them authority, albeit limited it was STILL authority and as such, they were GOVERNMENT. Stick your head in the sand if you like. The rest of us will speak out for what is right! Jesus never stamped "RubberMaid" on our foreheads. In other words we are NOT doormats!

February 19, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • sublime

Jesus needed to lay the groundwork for generations to follow. Great teachings came from his interactions with the Pharisees. However, Jesus interacted with them as a sign of inclusion and not exclusion. Ultimately Jesus challenged the lawmakers because they allowed the law to interfere with the fundamental nature of God's love for humanity.Modern, political Christians (the ones who browbeat the unclean masses...lol) have become much like the Pharisees. They allow law to overshadow their fundamental purpose.This doesn't require anyone to compromise their individuality. I just choose to express my faith through caring and giving as opposed to screeching to anyone that listens about why they are damned in the eyes of God.

We need to remember that "Separation of Church and State" occurred initially to protect the church from the government. Unfortunately, braggadocios Christians have made it so miserable for the government that progress, enlightenment and peace may never occur in my lifetime. That makes me sad.

February 19, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  15. steddie

the only people talking about abortion should be the people considering it

February 18, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  16. Hawkeye1012

At last, the hidden meaning to his "Baby" song...

February 18, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  17. BertFromTexas

Way to go Justin! I used to not think much of you, but now I may actually go see your movie.

The reason liberals want to destroy family and religion is because they want your allegiance to be dedicated entirely to the big totalitarian government they have envisioned. Don't let liberals bully you. Hold on to your beliefs and tell liberals where they can stick it.

February 18, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • MCArmstrong

Lol don't turn around, there is a liberal looking in the window behind you! And when you got to bed, leave the light on, or the liberals under your bed will getcha!

February 18, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  18. Anon

Great another christard deceiver. You're all crazy!

February 18, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
    • John

True that... Christians are some of the dumbest people on Earth. Think for yourself for once, why do you need a book to tell you what is right and wrong?

February 18, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
    • tabitha

oh really John? they're dumb? well I have to think most of the greatest scientists in history such as Newton prove your pathetically, derogatory statement wrong. Newton was an adament believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, a Creationist, and read the Bible daily.
      Learn some facts..or.. is it too complicated for you to understand?

February 18, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
    • victoria

Newton also believed the world was flat. A brilliant man, but a brilliant man within an ignorant era. Exactly when did Christianity rip off another religion to form their own "true" religion? In a dark age, long ago.

February 18, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  19. O2BNCLT

Why is it that if someone has PRO-LIFE views, it makes news and they are chastized, but if someone thinks killing unborn children is okay, it wouldn't be a blip on the radar???

February 18, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
    • Catholic MOM and Wife

It's a trap question. There is no right way to answer that question, you will be blasted if you believe in it and blasted if you do not.

February 18, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • BRB San Deigo

It is news because pro-life religious whack jobs are thankfully on the decline. Stay out of my personal life becauseit has nothing to do with you. Planned parenthood is one of the best run groups full of dedicated people.

February 18, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
    • StarkRG

Because an unborn FETUS is not a baby it's a fetus. The question that needs to be asked is at what point do we consider that the cluster of undifferentiated cells becomes a person. Most people would agree that an egg or sperm cell alone is not a person, almost as many people would agree that a zygote is also not a person. Most people would agree that a live baby after birth IS a person. So somewhere between being a zygote and being a born baby it becomes a person. As it's a fairly gradual process the only hard and fast definition would be birth.

Personally, I tend to disagree with very late abortions, but in general I'd say it's up to the actual people involved (the would-be parents).

My feeling is that most anti-abortion folks haven't really thought critically, they let their silly religion guide their thoughts.

February 18, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
  20. Frank

Just because Justin Bieber expresse views and they cause a backlash. How can it be a backlash? I do not believe in abortion and many others do not either.

February 18, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • MCArmstrong

A majority of Biebers fans are young teen women, a demograph that is heavily pro-choice.

February 18, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
    • John

It is sad that this is news!

February 18, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
    • tabitha

um says who? you??
      I bet you're not even a teen girl. well, I AM and most of us are pro-life. Speak for your own demographic McArmstrong.

February 18, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • victoria

Actually Tabitha- a recent poll conducted at Harvard shows that 84% of the 7000 girls randomly polled between the ages of 13 and 19 are in support of pro-choice. Perhaps in your town, pro-life is the preference, but you are in the national minority. You, and Bieber, can keep your laws off of our bodies, and instead focus on important work like Twilight fanaticism and which Bratz doll to dress like so you can become MTV's next Teen Mom. 🙂

February 18, 2011 at 8:46 pm |