home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Jabberwocky

When Justin gets pregnant, his view on abortion will be relevant-and then only to him.

February 18, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
  2. Nicole

I could give a sh!t what Bieber thinks, but I do care that he has a right to his opinion. Any position on abortion is bound to create controversy, and everyone has a position.

February 18, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
  3. Dwight

Who is that so called singer? Another Elvis? No way!!!

February 18, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
  4. Cuse

everyone, including mr. beiber, has the right to an opinion. don't forget that folks. that's what makes this country so great. instead of lashing out so angrily, be respectful of other's views. and, for the record, my views do not parallel his.

February 18, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
  5. Ian

I'm an atheist, and I'm rather uncomfortable with abortion. While I don't consider a zygote (the fused cell on the day after conception) to be fully human, I do consider a child to be fully human on the day before it is born. The point of transition between zygote and self-sustainable child is a grey one, yet we apply a rather black-and-white time definition of whether or not a fetus can be legally aborted. I'm not saying abortion should be made illegal, but the ethical implications sometimes keep me up at night...

February 18, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
    • donna

Ian, it might make more sense to you if you educated yourself about fetal development. (I mean that sincerely, and not be rude.) First, as soon as it starts developing, it is a human. Human is defined by the DNA, not the stage of development. It is never a species other than human. Your "day before it's born" date is completely arbitrary. There's no scientific basis for that claim. Most people I know, including myself, are concerned with the point at which the baby experiences suffering when it comes to abortion. To determine that, we have to look at brain development.

February 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  6. eldono

Please, Baby Boy Bieber, don't stop here. LIke Sarah, we need to see your true colors.

February 18, 2011 at 9:48 pm |
  7. C

I find it interesting how CNN allows 45 pages of comments when Bieber is being trashed for his pro life stance. However, when there is an article about someone Liberal and the comments get negative, it is shut down right away

February 18, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
  8. terry

I love when people call killing unborn children "political" .... whole new level of retard there.

February 18, 2011 at 9:40 pm |
  9. OKE

Who's Justin Bieber?

February 18, 2011 at 9:39 pm |
  10. DG

Justin Bieber has stood up for the civil rights and individual liberty of millions of innocent, defenseless people. Though he is probably too young to understand the significance of what he has done, there is joy in Heaven at the lives that may have been saved by his honest words. Yes, young teens idolize him. And these same teens may one day think twice about ending the life of their babies, wonderful human beings that they will love and be loved by. As I understand it, Bieber was brought up Catholic and is therefore possibly well informed about the issue of abortion.

February 18, 2011 at 9:39 pm |
    • irhheaum

Good for him.

February 18, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
  11. Pizz

I think he's just the right age to give his view about abortion. What age do you think these kids are walking into Planned Parenthood? He should be very proud of himself for answering a question presented to him honestly. Rolling Stone wasn't asking you or me, only Justin and he answered of his own free will and remained honest in his answer. I love that he got the old koots on The View all worked up. LOL! Must have hit a sore spot with a few of them. Maybe the need to justify past actions of their own. There's help out there for people who are suffering from past abortions – they should look into it for their own good.

February 18, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
  12. cicigreen

i can only say..the power of star is amazing..look at these many comments
    try sisizhao+com or cicelyzhao+com

February 18, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
  13. mbmpdx

Are you kidding me ... this is one of the TOP news stories with everything going on in the world today?!!!!! Explains our decay 😦

February 18, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
    • donna

Well, CNN isn't exactly all about news anymore. There are far better sites for that...

February 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  14. granadafan

Little Beav is going to have to learn that it pays to stay neutral on hot topics such as politics or fundamentalist extremist religious views. Pro-choice and pro-life people buy albums too.

February 18, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
    • NoDoubt

Exactly. I don't care what an artist personally feels about abortion, but obviously many people DO care, and unless he wants extra drama in his career he should stay neutral, unless he wants to cross over to Christian music period. Maybe that's what he should do, actually. Main stream America doesn't like to be preached to, especially by a teenager.

February 18, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
    • donna

Have you met America? ; ) Being a pro-life Christian here is not a handicap.

February 18, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  15. EyesOpen

You are all missing the bigger point. There is no God. Just like Santa Claus, the Easter bunny and the Tooth Fairy they don't exist. The whole concept of a higher power looking down on you is ridiculous. It is just another way for people to force their will on the masses. How can anyone believe in a god and allow priests to molest children? All this social activism is just a tool for the people in power to continue to divert attention from all the fraud being committed on the American taxpayers.

February 18, 2011 at 9:30 pm |
    • Jerry

Actually there is a GOD. The Holy Bible is his book of Love and the final book of Revelation is unfolding at a dramatic pace. It says that int he end times ALL Nations will come against ISRAEL. And this country is about as close to throwing Her under the bus as we've ever been. Oh, and by the way ISRAEL was reborn back in 1947 after being destroyed in 70 AD. Don't know why GOD allowed 6 Million Jews to die in WWII, but I'm sure it had something to do with reviving the Nation of ISRAEL to issue in the end times and the return of JESUS! Who LOVES and died for EVERYONE by the way(just Believe, that's all he ask.) And the priest and all else who fail to repent and turn the the Lord through his Son Jesus will be judged in the near future. The writing is on the wall and in the Greatest book ever written. Man has always and will always fail, until CHRIST finally sets up his perfect kingdom. GOD BLESS EVERYONE WHO READS THIS, IN JESUS NAME. HE'S COMING SOON!!!

February 18, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
    • Mike

Jerry, how do you know all of this?

February 18, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • Mike

Jerry, do you take anything else in your life on faith only?

February 18, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • Mike

Jerry, some people believe in UFOs. There's no proof. Are they wrong? Others believe in ghosts. Are they wrong? A lot of people believe in a God and a holy book that is very different from yours. There are more of them than there are of you. Are they wrong? If so, how are you different from them?

February 18, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  16. joel

all the abortion debate aside. why are we giving this CHILD flack for having an opinion that was probably influenced by his mom and her christian friends. Just because youre young and have money does not mean that your opinion should be taken all that seriously and definitely not given flack. If you created something called "bieber fever" you may not think about abortion...ever.

February 18, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
  17. Kris

First who cares about his opinion. Secondly, leave your personal belief system outside politics. I don;t want laws based on religion.

February 18, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
    • berefreshed

Kris...all laws are based on some religion! It is the only basis of morality! think before you spout!

February 18, 2011 at 9:29 pm |
    • MrModerate

Every law ever enacted in our country is based on what the people believe. While laws shouldn't follow a specific religion, our country was based on moral laws derived from religion. Religion is an integral part of our population, and as long as people can vote they should vote for what they feel is right.

February 18, 2011 at 9:35 pm |
    • 1234

That's absurd. All laws in the US are based on the public needs and safety in mind. Or are you trying to say that traffic laws and income tax laws are based on the Bible or a person's morality?

February 18, 2011 at 9:48 pm |
    • donna

Sorry berefreshed, but morality does not need to be based on religion.

February 18, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  18. FlyAF

Why does this even matter? He can't vote, and 90% of his fan base can't either. What has the world come to when we think a sixteen year olds political views are important.....

February 18, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
    • berefreshed

It's not a political view it's an opinion a held belief by him!! Don't confuse the two!

February 18, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
    • Rich

He's also pro-Canadian healthcare. So he's a socialist. Can a socialist be a Christian? Where is Sarah Palin to decide for us?

February 18, 2011 at 9:51 pm |
  19. ijreilly

I don't think any 16 year olds viewpoint on any subject of importance is really worth much, but the viewpoint loses all value when it comes from a pop singer.

February 18, 2011 at 9:22 pm |
  20. C

Some of you on here are such pigs

February 18, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
    • Dan

C,

Are you a pig too?

February 18, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
    • jak

Justin Bieber will soon turn into another Lindsy Lohan. You just watch.

February 18, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
    • davey

he's a canadian what do they know........now my kids can find a new star.

February 18, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
    • CanadianMom

So @Davey (sorry, yours is the post that sticks out the most), I'm Canadian, so I guess I don't know anything either. Try looking in your own backyard of hypocrisy before commenting about other people's countries.

February 18, 2011 at 10:02 pm |