home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Cassandra

It slays me how the same people who are pro choice become mortified when someone like Susan Smith kills her two, young boys by drowning them in a lake. It's the same thing! Murder is murder...just because the government says it's legal, doesn't make it any less than that!

February 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
    • Observer

So you can't tell the difference between a 2-inch fetus and young boys? The fetus can't logically think, but the boys understand what fate awaits them. Education could certainly help.

February 18, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
    • truth

Logical thought is what gives one the right to live. Observer – do you seriously think that's a good argument?

February 18, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
  2. Ian

I'm glad he goes around telling people his seriously flawed views, and shows that he is the last person that should set an example for little girls. Some people like myself think the right to an abortion is very important, and something that should never be taken away be religious extremists. I contribute to the ACLU every year because they fight for Roe v. Wade, and keep the religious right from imposing their views on the rest of America.

My sister started listening to him a few months ago, and I told her about this and she no longer likes him. Maybe Bieber should shut his mouth before he alienates all of his fans.

February 18, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
    • Brittany

ROE HERSELF HATES ROE V. WADE AND FIGHTS AGAINST IT NOW! I SAW HER SPEAK AT UT!! way to be an example!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what an awful, awful person you must be.

February 18, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  3. Stephanie

Thank God abortions are legal otherwise I'd have a dozen kids by now!

February 18, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
    • Brittany

i hope this is a sick joke

February 18, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Gary

I am anti abortion. If you want to kill your unborn baby then grab a coat hanger and knock your socks off.

February 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  5. Desperately Seeking Objectivity

Justin Bieber is against abortion. So what? Big surprise. Lots of people are. So why the "backlash"? When someone speaks out and says they are in favor of abortion rights, is there a backlash? I don't think so. So which group is tolerant and which group is intolerant? Seems to me, the pro-choice folks who can't tolerate someone with anti-abortion views are the intolerant group.

February 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
    • Brittany

parreeaccchhh ittt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Jared

I don't see what the big deal is. An abortion IS like killing a baby. I don't see how anyone can disagree?

February 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  7. paintpaintpaint

Abortion is legal. He can 'be against' it, but it's legal. LEGAL, everybody! I wouldn't want one, but I could never tell a woman she had to carry a fetus to term. I feel that the earlier the better, but If it were my daughter I'd want her to have the option. It was hard won. And legal – did you get that?

February 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • Brittany

so because there is a man-made law allowing you to feel better about your man-made views, we should determine that legality is equivalent to morality?? thinkthinkthink instead of paintpaintpainting your own picture.

February 18, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
    • catfishthegeek

Morals are relative. Personally, I have relatives who think having cheeseburgers are a sin because of the whole milk plus meat thing, meanwhile I personally love a good cheeseburger and I dont think i'm going to hell because i enjoy a big mac here and there. I personally think that forcing your opinions and beliefs on another person is immoral not to mention bad manners. The thing about choice is that you can do one thing or do another. Don't like the idea of an abortion, DONT HAVE ONE. Simple!

February 18, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
  8. Observer

No one likes abortions, no matter what some anti-choice advocates like to pretend. The reality is that when a fetus becomes a person is an unproveable matter left to opinion. Like almost any issue in life, opinions lie on a spectrum and are not black-and-white. For that reason, people need to be pro-choice and not anti-choice. Never say never. We just need to debate about which position is the best on the spectrum.

February 18, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
    • truth

I like your argument. Same one our president uses – "hey, I'd like to see less abortions". My questions is why? If it's just a little group of cells, why want less? Oh, I remember, because it sounds nice. Unfortunately it's intellectually flawed to say we want less of something we think is a totally benign action. Why less? Why not more? The TRUTH is that everyone knows it's wrong, but they're just dancing around it for political expedience – and oh yeah, money. The abortion industry makes billions.

February 18, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
  9. FDW

I am in awe of the left-leaning bias in the mainstream mdeia today.... the headline isn't his "views on abortion" it's his "controversial views" - is a "righ-tp-life" view controversial?....not if your an independent news organization...only if you're a spokerperson for the left...

February 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
    • Brittany

agreed!!

February 18, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
    • Observer

"is a "righ-tp-life" view controversial?...."

Over 2,500 comments so far. Wake up!!!

February 18, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
  10. detroitjames

How old is this kid? 12? He'll have five different views on the matter before 13!

February 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  11. Mike

Never paid much attention to him before but he just gained a ton of respect from me.

February 18, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Picklejuice

The reason he says these things is because he's 16 and his brain hasn't kicked in yet. I was an idiot too when I was 16.

February 18, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
    • Brittany

maybe you still are.....

February 18, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
    • catfishthegeek

Brittany, maybe he is, but if he is (and i dont know anymore than you do) it isn't for the reason you think.

I've never heard a 16 year old say anything remotely intelligent about beliefs that isn't a matter of them parroting what they've been indoctrinated to think. Heck, in your case, you never learned not to do that.

February 18, 2011 at 11:05 pm |
  13. Cassandra

It's about frickin' time someone in Hollyweird stands up for truth and morality in this world. Thank you Justin! God will richly bless you for not backing down from your faith in Jesus!

February 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  14. True

Whether you believe in God or not, whether you are for abortion or against it, doesn't change the fact that God IS in his Heaven, loving us, rooting for us, and seeking a relationship with each one of us. He knows those of you who don't believe in him, but he's rooting for you too.

February 18, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
    • Ang

Amen True! Jesus Christ is the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. He reigns forever and ever and there is no other. I will acknowledge him now while I still have breathe in these lungs, rather than deny him in my own self-pride and find myself lost and cut off from him forever. Bless you Lord Jesus, You are Awesome!

February 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
    • Brittany

loveloveloveitttt well said, and fittingly, TRUE!!

February 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
    • catfishthegeek

It doesn't matter if you do or dont believe, it doesn't change the overwhelming mountain of evidence that God is a fictional, primeval human construct that was meant to assuage our curiousity and fears of the unknown–and later meant to enslave us.

February 18, 2011 at 11:02 pm |
  15. Mike

Jerry, why can't you and all the others like you understand the cause of most of the pain and suffering in the world is due to idiots who know nothing forcing their unfounded beliefs on others. THERE IS NO GOD! Learn this, accept it, and the world gets better.

February 18, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • Brittany

i suppose the world just BECAME itself. that the language you speak in sprouted of its own accord. that the BABY you harm was created by exploding planets and apes.....apes, incidentally, which NOT A PERSON has seen evolve INTO A PERSON. when you say there is no God, you deceive yourself and set yourself up to be a god.

February 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • Mike

CedarTree, my lack of faith in God can be considered an opinion I guess, but be honest...is there anything else in your life that you take purely on faith, with no tangible evidence? Then, why God?

February 18, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  16. Bhush

it never ceases to amaze me how there are so many different perspectives, and yet so many think that only he or she has worked it out properly. So many people are writing strong statements like "there is no God" "abortion is murder" etc etc., but none of you know for sure. What you think is called an opinion, not a fact.

February 18, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • CedarTree

So how do we know what you just said is a fact, and not just your opinion?

February 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  17. Bhush

what's the big deal. The guy is 16 years old, still in the grip of his fundamentalist mother, and his brain hasn't developed enough to make his own choices. Maybe he'll change, maybe he'll always feel that way, but he's still just a kid. It's really wrong to ask someone that age about his opinions on serious issues, because the 16-year old brain just isn't sufficiently developed. Come back when he's 25. And besides......who cares what he thinks.

February 18, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
    • FDW

LOL Bhush...You feel that "The guy is 16 years old, still in the grip of his fundamentalist mother".is the reason he is pro-life? You don't think it might be because thinks unborn children should have civil rights too?

February 18, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
    • Brittany

bhush obviously disrespects human life at all stages and ages!! you put that very well FDW.

February 18, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
    • CedarTree

And yet I'm sure you (Bhush or whatever) believe that a 16 year old girl can handle an abortion

February 18, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
    • catfishthegeek

unborn children have civil rights, gays and lesbians have none. uh huh. right.

February 18, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  18. Mark from Middle River

To be truthful, has anyone changed their views on a abortion since they read this article?

Anyone been so impressed with something the other side that it moved anyone to say that they no longer can be pro life or pro-choice ?

February 18, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
    • Brittany

i can see why you would say that mark....but some ppl's goal on here is to plant a seed, not to convert.

February 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  19. jellylee2020

I'm against illegal immigrants, please deport Justin Bieber.

February 18, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
    • kro

LOL Hardly. Canadians don't even need a visa to get into the US.

Abortion is an over-hyped non-issue anyways. Who here seriously wakes up worrying about abortions? Just an easy decoy issue that Republicans use to rally their base and for politicians to keep focus away from what's important.

February 18, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
    • truth

Kro – you are right. 30 million babies killed is a non issue. Republicans just use it. 100 years from now, God willing, our children's children will probably say "wow, did all those people really think killing children was a woman's right?"

February 18, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  20. Coco

Good job, Bieber ! You are right and I agree with you. God bless you and keep your faith.

February 18, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
    • ana

No one except you gives a crap what a callow 16 year old fundamentalist thinks about womens' reproductive rights.

February 18, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • Brittany

coco gets on to leave a lovely and encouraging comment and ana responds in pure hatred! what is up with that? if you are so sure, ana, that your opinion is correct, why not point it out in a cogent, thoughtful manner?? you have discredited yourself entirely!

February 18, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
    • CedarTree

I guess Ana was wrong. Not just one person cares.

February 18, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
    • truth

There's an awesome group of youth in this country that are sick of having abortion or reproductive rights jammed down their throat. They are free thinking, free choosing people who think on logical levels even our president can't.

February 18, 2011 at 10:56 pm |