home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. REASON

Pregnant woman murdered/killed = prosecution of TWO deaths
    Abortion = woman's choice, oops!

Wanted vs. unwanted.

Free will vs. God's will.

Abortion is murder. I know. I have seen it.

February 19, 2011 at 12:20 am |
    • Observer

@Reason
      "God's will"? Actions speak louder than words. According to the Bible, at one point God murdered EVERY fetus, baby, and child on the face of the earth. What were their sins?

February 19, 2011 at 1:03 am |
    • Jabberwocky

Abortion is not murder. "Murder" is a legal term and means "illegal killing." Abortion is legal and therefore is not murder in the eyes of the law. If you see things differently, don't ever, ever, have an abortion. You have no say about what I do.

Furthermore, ya dolt, when someone is prosecuted for two murders for having killed a woman and a fetus, the charges stem for the fact that the murderer does not have the right to deprive a woman of HER choices.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your self-righteous indignation. It's fun to watch morons like you make fools of yourselves, over and over, by posting the same idiotic crap.

February 19, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
  2. s

Good job justin fight the good fight

February 19, 2011 at 12:19 am |
  3. Ashleigh McShee

When BeeBee can get pregnant, then I might listen to anything he has to say on the subject of abortion. Until then, his opinion doesn't matter to me.

February 19, 2011 at 12:12 am |
  4. tiff39

How about a backlash over how much that little runt sucks?

February 19, 2011 at 12:06 am |
  5. LJ

I think The Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) would understand that abortion should be mandatory unless the proposed parents proved they can support and love the offspring. You need to pass a test to drive, but only give in to carnal lust to have babies that others need to support. Add more sauce!!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
  6. Kari

He's just a kid...a Christian influenced kid...who cares??

February 18, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
  7. Richard

really did not have much of opinion of you kid BUT at least you have the balls to stand up for what you believe in...good job man

February 18, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  8. roy

Everybody has a view, whats the big deal. It's not like he is running for public office. I feel if you didn't like him before this wont change your mind about him and if you liked him before great shut up and listen to him sing.

February 18, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
  9. Melinda

Who the h@ll cares what a kid thinks of abortion? Seriously. Like Beiber has any political influence. However, I would never let my kid listen to that canuck.

February 18, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
  10. Soporifix

Justin Bieber is a teenage pop singer. Who cares what he thinks? either you like his music or you don't. It's a non-issue.

February 18, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
  11. Crystal

No uteris, No opinion!!!

February 18, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
  12. tangen

Ever notice that pro-life rallies are full of young children / teenagers or settled middle-aged people, neither of whom have any practical need for a choice? I think it's easy and common for 16 year olds to simplify issues like this.

February 18, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
  13. GUEST2020

The more I hear about this kid, the more I like him.

February 18, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
  14. James

Good for him in having a strong faith in God. I hope that expressing this does not negatively impact his career.

February 18, 2011 at 11:08 pm |
  15. rebrep

Justin was asked a question and he answered it. He was brave to state his views honestly when the vast majority of the entertainment industry is liberal. When I was 16, I was pro-choice. Now I'm a grandmother and I'm pro-life. Live and learn.

February 18, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  16. Kris

Really CNN? Don't you think this is a just a bit ridiculous? He's a 16 year old kid, what does he know about these topics... and who cares? Go find some REAL news to report on.

February 18, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  17. joe

"Birth has nothing to do with life beginning."

lol....really? Nothing?

February 18, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  18. kro

Anyone here who wakes up worrying about abortion, then reply to this post.

For me and the sane troupe of merry men and women it is a distraction issue.

Hold your politicians to real standards, you sheeple herd!

February 18, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
    • Jane Doe

Why did you respond to this article at all, then?

February 19, 2011 at 9:51 am |
    • donna

Is that the measure of an important social issue? Whether or not we wake up worrying about it?

February 19, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  19. Jane Doe

And why is there a backlash? Are pro-choice folks the only ones allowed to voice their opinions in the public square without being criticized? If he would have said he was for abortion, the majority of you would have said, "Go Bieber." Instead, you ridicule, bully, and humiliate a sixteen year old kid who has strong convictions about human life. Pathetic and a testament to the uncivil dribble that permeates American culture.

February 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
    • Get over it already!

Well said, Jane Doe! This is so irritating, pro-choicers are all about a woman making her own choices, so why can't the people of America make their own choice as to whether they think abortion is okay? And if we choose it is not, we shouldn't be the ones getting crap! Why do they care if we think it's wrong? Why is it any of their business? I'm not necessarily a Bieber fan, but this has made him much more appealing to me. I'm glad he's not rolling over to appease these idiots-it's a free country and he can think/feel as he chooses.

February 18, 2011 at 11:06 pm |
    • Clarity

Well said!

February 18, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
    • Zoe

Excuse me? Pro choicers in a public forum? Its the pro lifers standing outside our womens clinics protesting and guilting people. It the pro lifers standing around in death outfits and throwing baby doll parts at terrified young girls. We're not going to your churches and protesting.

February 18, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
    • shamgar50

Jane Doe, and if he'd been pro-choice, you and your ilk would be all over him for it. Stop with your hypocrisy!

February 18, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
    • Jane Doe

Actually Shamgar, your statement makes no sense. I haven't criticized anyone on this board who is a pro-choice individual, thus it is clearly irresponsible for you to say that I would be part of the humiliating, mindless bullying taking place if the shoe was on the other foot when you clearly lack the evidence showing that I would say such things. You would have the right to say I was a hypocrite if you could give clear examples of statements I have made that were degrading to pro-choice folk, but you can't. So, again, I can only take what you say as ignorance to how logical conversation and debate work.

February 19, 2011 at 9:30 am |
    • Jane Doe

Zoe, so let me get this straight. You have a problem with pro-life folks because they protest at abortion clinics, guilt women, and do not respect the RIGHT of the women to chose. Yet, you are totally fine with all of the hateful statements being spewed on here by people who are pro-choice? The comments that are ripping apart a sixteen year old for his convictions; the statements that are full of vitriol and hate; the statements that degrade anyone who isn't pro-choice? So, to break it down to its simplest terms, just so I understand. You want pro-choice folk to be respected by pro-life people, yet, you are fine with pro-choice people degrading pro-life people because, for some unforeseen reason, it is fine for the pro-choice group to degrade the pro-life group?

February 19, 2011 at 9:50 am |
    • donna

If he had announced that he was pro-choice, I guarantee that there would be the same headlines. And the 'backlash' would be much more real and intense. How do you think the christian community would respond to a 16 yo boy who proclaimed to be a devout christian and pro-choice?

February 19, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

donna
      ---------
      You might be right BUT he didn't! That makes your post an AS-SUMPTION! unless of course you have concrete evidence!

February 19, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Zoe,
      How can you be guilted if there is nothing to be guilty of?

February 19, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • donna

Steve (the insecure one), There's no need to be hostile. It's silly to ask about concrete proof when I'm making a purely theoretical prediction.

February 19, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

donna
      -------
      Not hostile and definitely not insecure. I also said you might be correct. Even I would question his belief, just without the venom! Isn't it just as silly to make a guarantee when making a purely theoretical predication?

February 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • donna

"AS-SUMPTION!" Seems aggressive to me, and that usually indicates insecurity. I also don't know what you mean by 'venom.' I'm looking at my post and I just don't see it.
      And no, I don't think there is anything wrong with me saying that I guarantee that when the subject is obviously theoretical. It's a figure of speech that describes my level of belief in my predication of a theoretical event. However, I am happy to make that a literal statement. : ) I guarantee that if Bebier comes out as pro-choice while proclaiming to be a devout Christian, there will be far more 'backlash' than there is with this instance. If that happens and I'm wrong, what would you like from me- money? blood? my collection of Green Day cds?

February 19, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  20. Super girl :)

At least the kid has views on the subect, lots of 16 year old guys don't give a dang about that kinda stuff.

February 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
    • xasthur

Dang? Come on, god won't burn you alive you scared Christian. Just say damn.

February 18, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
    • Darthlawsuit

Agreed. At least he is thinking instead of gawking over himself like most of his fans. It takes time to really establish your political views and asking him at that age is a bit too early. However I must say he has a point about going broke and losing everything if you ever get sick =/

February 18, 2011 at 11:13 pm |
    • Zoe

I am not a fan of the christian rite, but still, come on people. He's a 16 year old boy! What the heck does he know about abortion, womens rights, or reproductive healthcare. NOTHING. He has an opinion, sure. 16 has an opinion on everything, but his opinion is invalid at best. Frankly, I think if abortion was a mens issue and if men had to get an abortion women wouldn't even be allowed to vote on it.

February 18, 2011 at 11:13 pm |
    • dan

probably said dang because it may be removed for profanity if they do

February 18, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
    • xasthur

Damnit Dan no. I said it in my post dummy I saw an episode of Popeye when I was a kid when a witch said it on TV! It's not a bad word! Say it. In fact say anything. F* censorship.

February 18, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
    • shamgar50

Does anyone really expect nuggets of wisdom from this kid?

February 18, 2011 at 11:44 pm |
    • Parrish Theodore

neither does he. How naive are you people. A 16 yo is not mature enough to form his own opinions on this subject. He doesn't even understand what abortion entails, no matter what you feel on the subject. Everyone placing stock in this should be thoroughly embarrassed.

February 19, 2011 at 12:17 am |
    • Jane Doe

And, Zoe...what makes his opinion invalid? Is there some criteria that you are aware of that makes an opinion valid or not? I didn't realize there were invalid opinions.

February 19, 2011 at 9:57 am |