home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Ken

Well, he's a child himself and not very intelligent. He'll adopt more realistic views after he hits puberty and gets an education.

February 18, 2011 at 11:37 am |
    • TLO

Why do people use the "He's not very intelligent" retort? Is it soley because this kid expressed himself? Do you know him personally or know his intellect? Is it because he is only 16 years old? It seems that the one's out there calling him stupid may actually be the stupid ones.... Is this your response to someone who doesn't share your same view points?

February 18, 2011 at 11:43 am |
  2. FactsPlease

Many pro-choice women have had pregnancies and love their families and are still pro-choice. Some of us realized just how arrogant it is to try to legislatively force childbirth. Nor is it one woman's responsibility to breed for another.

February 18, 2011 at 11:37 am |
  3. TLO

Why are people giving this kid grief about his faith and what he believes is right and wrong? He has every right to express his opinion! I think that this 16 year old kid cares about issues like this is something considering what most kids care about these days.

February 18, 2011 at 11:36 am |
  4. Dan Quinn

Justin was raised to know the right way.

February 18, 2011 at 11:36 am |
  5. Chapstik Lez

What did people expect when asking a kid so young about these issues ALSO did anyone notice this exact quote? "I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that." He responded just like everyone would respond "I don't know how I feel about certain issue that do not involve me directly, I will not know until something like this happens to me." Just like teen moms, parents of teen moms, and rap vics ... you cannot dare to image what people go through when these things happen in life.

February 18, 2011 at 11:35 am |
  6. Jim

Why doesn't CNN report news of celebrities who are pro abortion? Do the math

February 18, 2011 at 11:35 am |
  7. samadams

How old is this kid? 16? Way too young to be delivering an "informed" opinion on such a complex topic.

February 18, 2011 at 11:35 am |
    • Jason

I actually respect his opinion more! He apparently has common sense and morals!!! He is not blinded by selfishness and pride of the so called "choice" to kill a baby or not kill a baby!!

February 18, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • Lanfear

He has every right to voice his opinion, regardless of his age. Despite being wrong 😉

February 18, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
  8. Wayne

Humanity is laughable. We're all high and mighty when it comes to fetuses, but we support the wholesale slaughter of any country that stands in the way of our oil. Shake your heads. Life is only sacred, if it benefits us in that particular incident. I wish i had been aborted so i could have avoided the hypocrisy that is modern man.

February 18, 2011 at 11:35 am |
    • Enoch_knows_whos_names_are_written

You need therapy

February 18, 2011 at 11:40 am |
    • Wayne

People see what they want to see. We chose which lives are sacred, and we chose which are not. I see it like it is.

February 18, 2011 at 11:42 am |
  9. guy

Every one has their own personal opinion about everything in this world. But again we weren't put on this earth to judge either:)...my opinion:)

February 18, 2011 at 11:34 am |
  10. bill

Why on EARTH would anyone CARE what Beiber's views on abortion are? How many of us had fully formed opinions about adult issues like this when we were his age? None of us, thank exactly how many. This kid is just repeating what he's been taught by his parents without any understanding.

February 18, 2011 at 11:34 am |
  11. Ames Wolff

Who cares what this "You guys are evil" America slandering teenager has to say...he's a little hypocrite. He hates America and Americans...so don't patronize his talent and give him your money. He is ANTI-AMERICAN>

February 18, 2011 at 11:33 am |
  12. Jezuz

If that is what he believes then let him be... But he's got a lot of growing up to do... I was once a hard-core catholic and once I grew up, started living life a bit more, my views changed on alot of things... Everything is peachy in theory but true life is different. He has yet to experience that...

February 18, 2011 at 11:33 am |
    • RIALgal

Very well said. We are all molded by our life experiences and the more experiences we have the more we have on which to base our opinions.

February 18, 2011 at 11:46 am |
    • CatholicMom

Jezuz,
      So you were unable to take up your cross and follow Jesus? Did you forget that He said His yoke is easy…meaning if you take up your cross and follow in His Way you will find it becomes much light and easy to carry because He is lighting the Way and you will not be fumbling around in the dark. When you get off the Path you will be on your own.

February 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  13. PR

Booeber is a prime example of why abortion should be legal. The world would be better without him.

February 18, 2011 at 11:32 am |
    • samadams

There are a lot of people the world would be better off without. I'm not so sure he's at the top of that list.

February 18, 2011 at 11:37 am |
  14. JC

To all the self righteous who don't believe a women has a choice. Move to Africa there are plenty of feel good deeds you can do over there to make yourselves protectors of life. And the next time we have a war protest we will see you there.

February 18, 2011 at 11:32 am |
    • Jason

Actually he is getting a lot more supporters!!! Go Bieber!!

February 18, 2011 at 11:48 am |
  15. Tacjam

LOL way to alienate some in your fan base! Justin, fire your staff for getting you into this position.

February 18, 2011 at 11:32 am |
  16. sarah

How about we focus on his completely reasonable and RELEVANT views on healthcare instead of abortion? As if abortion is such a hindrance to this country! I am pro-life but I hate that abortion is a political issue that gets more attention than actual things that Americans should be worried about.

February 18, 2011 at 11:32 am |
    • Ri

You do realize that the number of people in the country effects the way health care is run and how much money is required correct? Also, for the women who are assaulted, many are unable to receive the medical treatment they wish to have because of a lack of separation between church and state.

February 18, 2011 at 11:37 am |
    • Jason

So deaths of millions of americans isn't the main issue? WAKE UP!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 11:46 am |
    • Lanfear

I agree! Follow your own morals, keep it to yourself, and leave it out of politics.

February 18, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • jwills

To lanfear: Of course, if the "morals" (or lack thereof) happen to be liberal in nature, I'm sure you would heartily invite them to be involved in politics. Liberals are not only irrational, they are hypocrites.

February 18, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
  17. CLA

It's not abortion or gays or even illegals that are destroying our country! It's greed, lack of conscience and compassion, and not giving a da*n about humankind-pure selfishness.

February 18, 2011 at 11:32 am |
    • Tacjam

illegals help!

February 18, 2011 at 11:33 am |
  18. vdavis

he voiced his opinion which is his right, you may or may not agree with him but he does have that right to express his views when asked a question about it... at least he is taking a stand and choosing a side...

February 18, 2011 at 11:30 am |
    • dontbehatin'

He's an entertainer...why do we care about his beliefs on this or any other issue?

February 18, 2011 at 11:33 am |
    • Lindsay

Yup! Exactly right! He was asked, he gave an answer. If it bothers you that much, don't buy his music, or don't let your kids by his music. Good for him taking a stand.

On another note, if he is indeed a Christian, he just went up a few notches on my "I respect you" scale. Nice.

February 18, 2011 at 11:38 am |
    • Lanfear

I usually kick Christians down a few knotches on the respect scale...

February 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • dontbehatin'

As long as he is consistent in his Christian beliefs then I will respect him or anyone else. If he is caught doing non-Christian things then he has no right to preach to the rest of us.

February 18, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
  19. Guest

These girls that just love Justin Bieber will be very disappointed when they find out he is gay!

February 18, 2011 at 11:30 am |
    • Chris

It's funny because it's true. haha

February 18, 2011 at 11:31 am |
    • Jezuz

hahahaha!! that is too funny!! (and true)

February 18, 2011 at 11:35 am |
    • Wayne MacKinnon

Go F*** yourself Guest

February 18, 2011 at 11:37 am |
    • Tacjam

Looks like you just upset a h o m o

February 18, 2011 at 11:39 am |
    • Guest

wow dude chill out, no need to get that nasty. BTW.....i don't have to go F*** myself, I have someone to do that for me but thanks for your concern!

February 18, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
  20. OntheRoad

Personally this should just be left to Women, is their choice plain in simple. People need to stop getting involved in other's people's business

February 18, 2011 at 11:30 am |
    • Guest

Well said!!

February 18, 2011 at 11:33 am |
    • Tacjam

If your going to be asking for child support....males need to be involved in the decision as well

February 18, 2011 at 11:35 am |
    • Kingwoodian

Abortion is murder - plain and simple.

February 18, 2011 at 11:35 am |
    • Will

Perhaps he can pray for a voice that is not digitized to death

February 18, 2011 at 11:36 am |
    • Sam

Let's keep this in perspective, the guy is a kid with very little real life experience, Regardless of whether I agree or not I really don't care what a kid thinks about this subject. Why should we care what he thinks or says about abortion?( Because he has money? Because he is a celebrity?)

February 18, 2011 at 11:36 am |
    • donna

Tacjam, Males have every right to chose NOT to engage in the act of making the baby. THAT is where your choice is. If you don't want to pay child support so badly- don't make a child. It's your choice. In our country, women have the right to decide what to do with her pregnancy. You know that going into your activity. If you don't like it- don't do it!

February 18, 2011 at 11:39 am |
    • Tacjam

If your not going to include me in the decision...I might want you to keep the baby so I can raise it! Then go to h e l l, Males should be involved in this decision.....if not don't ask for a d a ma n thing from us!

February 18, 2011 at 11:41 am |
    • clum

You gotta love republicans who say, "The goverment has no right to make a law requiring us get healthcare!" then turn around and tell us, "The goverment should make a law to stop abortions." Either you want the goverment out of our personal lives or you don't, you cant have both.

February 18, 2011 at 11:42 am |
    • Dream Out Loud

oh, dear Lord. This isn't about the rights of the woman over her body. This is about whether we give full protection of the law to the fetus growing inside the woman. Pro-lifers consider it worthy of full protection; pro-choicers don't. everything else is hogwash.

for what it's worth, there was a time when people didn't think blacks deserved full protection of the law. We had a war over it. Turns out they were wrong.

February 18, 2011 at 11:46 am |
    • Shhh

....whenever "plain and simple" follows something, you know it's anything but.

February 18, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • donna

So Tacjam, clearly you aren't mature enough to understand the birds and the bees, and that you have a choice about having relations with a woman. If you can't handle the potential consequence of paying child support- don't engage. Why is that so hard for you to understand? Why are you unable to take responsibility for your choices?

February 18, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • Tacjam

No Donna, you don't understand that you have choice in protecting yourself from getting pregnant to. But your to immature to understand that the baby will involve more people than your selfish self. The father should be involved in this decision. Now you might feel this way because your a 300lbs controlling whale-a-phant. I on other hand would like to be involved in the child I will be caring for, for 18 years...now go phuck yourself!

February 18, 2011 at 11:51 am |
    • Dave

From his own admission, "I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that." he should not be saying he's against abortion, unless of course he's really a woman! And I'm supposed to believe a teenager has lived enough to formulate deep opinions about anything? Sorry, no, if the boy makes it to say 40 then I'll see where he's at.

February 18, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • donna

Tacjam, you aren't even responding to what I'm saying. Men have a choice- don't say they don't have a choice. Stop acting like you're a victim if you get a girl pregnant. Perhaps you should move to a country where you would have control over a woman's body, but here, you don't. So obviously, you should abstain until you relocate. : )

February 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
    • Tacjam

Well Donna,

You wonder why their are so many dead beat dads. I would be disgusted if you had my child. I can see right now it would be 18 years of fighting. I'm thinking in between eating ho-ho's you've popped out a few out of wedlock? Maybe that's why your so angry. Maybe if you involved the fathers in your children when you first spread your legs...you wouldn't hate men like you do...counseling can help.

February 18, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • donna

Tacjam, I'm not angry a bit- you're projecting. And your attempt to say insulting things doesn't distract me from the fact that you refuse to respond to what I actually said. Truth hurts sometimes- regardless of what you say, I know I got through to you because you got sooo hostile and defensive. You know I'm right. Don't engage in acts if you aren't willing to deal with the consequences

February 18, 2011 at 12:22 pm |