home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. BuzzMann

I am not pro abortion.If you asked me I would say don't have one,but I also do not the the govt. should be able to tell you that you can't have one.It is a personal choice.Now if your only argument is religious you are barking up the wrong tree. I don't need a book or a room full of people(church) to tell me what is right or wrong.

March 15, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  2. Liberty Spinner

I thought he was a potential good image for teens. Now I see he's just another petty fascist without any experience telling girls what to do. Something he'll never have to do...use his body to incubate a baby he's not going to keep.
    For those of you who believe a baby begins at conception let me give you the Old Testament view which is clearly written and translated into English. A child is not a child until it takes it's first breath. So it is not viable until it breathes on its own.
    Why because that is the fifth level of the soul entering...GOD's Breath.
    This you will find in the Kabbalah.
    Go to a thousand births and see for yourself. The first component is present at conception The Source Self. The second, the Witness at 14 weeks of gestation, The third Personality arrives at the time you feel life. The fourth the Neshema arrives between 7 months and birth and the last Ruach that of God in Everyone shortly after birth or the child isn't viable.

March 15, 2011 at 6:01 am |
  3. John Knows

Abortion is not only wrong but kill off the entire race. When abortion happens that mean there are less babies and you gonna have less population. What is happening in the west is that White people are getting more abortion then any other race and because of this, there are less white people on earth and finally there won't be no white people left on earth.

March 14, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
  4. Markie

Justin, your obllgation is to entertain your fans. Nothing more. You don't have an obligation to plant seeds of nonsense that you believe and have no understanding of in the real world. Best to shut up and sing.

March 12, 2011 at 8:49 am |
  5. Becky

I am 45 years old so I'm not necessarily a Bieber fan – probably haven't heard a song he is known for. However, I have nieces and kids of my friends that are fans so, I personally, am happy to hear that he is a Christian and stands up for Christian beliefs.

As a Christian, I too am against abortion and no matter of comments, name-calling, hate speech and the like (found in these comments) could change my mind, just as I assume the same wouldn't change the minds of those who believe abortion is okay. I don't know why so much of this is going on unless people just love a good argument – I wouldn't even call these comments a debate.

All the arguing and name-calling, then, must be a hobby – and the things we enjoy doing definitely say something about the kind of persons we are. The one thing missing here is respect. I can be adamantly against everything you say and still respect the fact that you are a person. Respecting someone doesn't mean we agree or align ourselves with them. It shows that we have some character.

March 11, 2011 at 8:14 am |
  6. good grief

hey angry people, can he not have a freaking opinion????!!! Just Beibers personal beliefs do not affect yours

March 8, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  7. JIM D.

ummmmmmm. does it "really" matter what he says at all, about anything. he's untalented and has "bad hair". it's not like it's tallen latz or anything who is an actual prodigal musician....

March 7, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  8. Satan

Too bad we can't have a retroactive abortion for this little youtube freak.

March 6, 2011 at 12:09 am |
  9. nobama

All humans have rights; living, dead, pre-natal and “potential” humans. These individual human rights are necessarily restrained by others rights and freedoms, in order to secure Life, Liberty and Justice of all.
    Without Justice, one mans rights and freedom, becomes another mans constraint and tyranny. The purpose of Civil law, is Equal Justice for all.
    Abortion presents an issue of conflicting human rights; the right of the unborn child to live posed against the right of the mother to control her own body and abort that human life within. Pregnant women are parents and guardians of the human life within. That life is not their body or property and they are not owners of it. Therefore, pregnancy and abortion are not just a woman’s rights issue alone, but also an equal rights issue.
    The right to abort another human life was not granted by Roe v Wade, only the right to abort “potentiality for human life” and that right was restrained. Abortion was made legal on the fantasy that the human life begins after being birthed and no sooner.

March 4, 2011 at 9:14 am |
  10. The X Chromasome

If you wish to take the position that life begins at conception, then you must, and I repeat again, MUST, execute and perform any and all extreme measures to preserve life in the elderly, infirm, and comatose. No more "pulling the plug," no more "dying with dignity," since you are actually condoning suicide, and you can't pick and choose your stance on life simply when it suits you. You either ARE or ARE NOT.

Choose.

March 2, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  11. Hypatia

When little Bieber gets himself knocked up, then he can have a say in the matter. Until then, he has no right to tell any woman what to do with her body.

March 2, 2011 at 11:21 am |
    • Jazzman

It's just as much the fathers kid as it is the moms. If the dad wants to keep it, how can a woman say "no" just because she's the one giving birth? That's stupid and selfish (If you're a Christian, you have Eve to blame for that, tough). The reverse is also true (save the guy giving birth of course). Which is why there is an easy way to avoid this problem in the first place. Use contraception or keep the legs closed.

March 7, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Liberty Spinner

I'm with you. What makes the little twit so dubiously pious?

March 15, 2011 at 5:48 am |
  12. William

I think that Barbara Walters' comments were right on the mark, that his comments are reflective of a 16-year old mind that is still growing, and that the questions themselves were inappropriate.

March 2, 2011 at 8:26 am |
  13. Babul

Hi there, You have done an excellent job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

March 2, 2011 at 5:55 am |
  14. Mandy

I think it's okay for Bieber to be openly comment about his belief as it's everyone's right to free speech.
    If he openly states his belief and if the same situation happens in his life to someone who he has been with and takes responsibility in raising the child or making sure that the kid is well taken care of by someone who is willing just for the kid's sake, I think we have no reason to ask Bieber to STFU.

February 28, 2011 at 3:09 am |
  15. HotAirAce

Just learned on Piers Morgan Tonight, while interviewing Hugh Heffner and finance, that Jusin Bieber and father will be visiting the Playboy Mansion. Can someone help me understand why a pious young man would want to visit such a place?

February 28, 2011 at 12:42 am |
  16. pleasestop

To Corwin7 – what about the man's parental rights? If a man must pay child support for a kid he didn't want but his girlfriend did, why can't he have similar legal sway in a reversed situation? I understand that pregnancy is an emotional and physical process that takes a toll, but why can't the guy who wants to be a father be allowed to? I find it interesting that such misandristic thoughts are so pervasive.

February 26, 2011 at 2:40 am |
    • G

@pleasestop: The reason why men have no say is because they do not have the physical burden of carrying and bearing a child. Their life is not at risk when they need to give birth because men do not give birth. This "men's rights" comment is a red herring fallacy.

February 27, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • Ak

Well it's very simple why a man does not have the right to force a woman to not have abortion.in the same way he cannot force her to have one....The reason is actually very simple the fetus develops in the woman's body, so in the beginning it's part of her body...And every woman has the right to do whatever she likes with her body...So it's not an issue of misandrist thoughts but of basic human rights....If an abortion is morally wrong or right that depends on one's beliefs...But the right to have an abortion that highlights the right of a woman to own her body for me is not questionable...Now why Iwe have this conversation in an article about a stupid pop star is another story:P

February 27, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  17. pleasestop

February 26, 2011 at 2:31 am |
    • The Truth

@pleasestop: The argument that a fetus is not a human until it can survive on its own outside the womb is, in a word, ridiculous. Obviously all newborns, even born after a full 9 months, need to be cared for by someone or they will die within hours. I'm sure the majority of us know several teenagers or even twenty-somethings that "could not survive on their own". Do we strip them of their personhood? Similarly, do we exterminate our elderly once they need extra care to do common household activities?

Their nervous system isn't able to keep them alive until after 25 weeks. Thus, they couldn't survive regardless if they were cared for or not, so is it OK then?

The facts are that legal abortion SAVES LIVES. I know, that sounds like an oxymo-ron, but it is true.

Put aside your feelings for a second regardless if you are pro-choice or pro-life (actually those terms are extremely misleading as virtually EVERYONE is pro-life, the terms pro-abortion and anti-abortion are more apropos). Brazil has roughly 1/2 the population of the United States. Brazil also has a higher percentage of Christians than the US does (more than 90% vs 78%). In Brazil abortion is STRICTLY illegal (except in cases of serious health concerns to the mother or ra-pe).

In the US abortion is legal. Yet the number of women that die from abortions in Brazil is substantially higher than the number of women that die in the US (despite the massive population delta). Why is that? It is because the laws don't stop people from doing things. They only create unnecessary hazzards in many cases.

If they made abortion illegal in the United States, the death rate of mothers seeking "now illegal" abortions would rise quickly. Girls in the Bible Belt (which has BY FAR the highest rates of teen pregnancy anywhere in the country) would be off in the cornfields with hangers or plunging themselves down sets of stairs.

So if people want to try to make abortion illegal, all they are doing is killing women in the process whether they like it or not.

If Christians want to stop abortions, then they should DEMAND that their Churches start teaching birth control to teens. They should start teaching about Plan B to teens. They should provide contraception to teens that want it. All of those items would put a huge dent in the number of abortions. But of course, that won't happen because Churches live in a world of delusion where they only want to teach abstinence... and based on the ridiculous number of teen pregnancies in the Bible Belt, this option clearly does not work.

Peace.

February 26, 2011 at 2:59 am |
    • Truth

Rationalize abortion all you want The Truth, but here is God's Truth:
      Pslam 139:13-15

13 For you created my inmost being;
      you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
      14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
      your works are wonderful,
      I know that full well.
      15 My frame was not hidden from you
      when I was made in the secret place,
      when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.

March 1, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  18. journeytokimberly

Funny how it wouldn't have been at all 'controversal' if he said he supported the killing of babies. Boy, times sure have changed.

February 24, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
    • R. Tam

A pro-life position on abortion would alienate much of Bieber's target demographic (mothers who buy music for their young daughters). His choices are to speak out against abortion or avoid the topic. That is why there would be no controversy if he were pro-choice. Justin Bieber must be pro-life. The free market requires it.

March 10, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  19. Beth

I commend a young man for standing up for his beliefs. I too feel that abortion is wrong. God is the one who creates and ends lives. If there is an unwanted pregnancy, there are other options besides abortion, like adoption. I do not judge people for their choices because I am not perfect either. I just try to lead them in the right direction when they ask for my advice.

February 24, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • Truth

AMEN! Once conception occurs a person IS formed. Self-deceit leads to wickedness.

Pslam 139:13-15
      "For you created my inmost being;
      you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
      14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
      your works are wonderful,
      I know that full well.
      15 My frame was not hidden from you
      when I was made in the secret place,
      when I was woven together in the depths of the earth."

March 1, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  20. InTheirShoes

Until someone has been a scared and pregnant woman, I don't think they have ANY business telling a woman what to do with her body. I got pregnant at 18 while using contraceptives, and I was terrified. I still elected for adoption, but honestly, it was the most difficult decision I made in my life and I would not encourage anyone to do it due to the emotional trauma I experienced. But I would be lying if I said that I didn't consider abortion. In the end, I could not do it, but I would never tell a woman that she was wrong for making that choice. No one has a right to judge until they have been in that situation. It is not fun, for sure.

February 23, 2011 at 10:56 am |
    • muniz

I don't think that just because a woman has a womb that it gives her the right to chose whether a human being lives or dies. Everyone deserves a chance to live.

March 2, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • DET

wow, you really wouldn't encourage anyone to adopt because of "your" emotional trauma. What about the life you afforded the child you gave birth to? Wasn't that worth anything?

March 7, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • Grace

I used to support the whole feminist/pro-abortion stance, and I even marched with other women in Washington, D.C. in favor of abortion rights. Something happened along the way and my beliefs changed. I was horrified to realize that all of us who had demanded abortion had, hypocritically, never been aborted and we had each been given the gift of life. Who were we to talk?

March 14, 2011 at 2:15 am |