home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Pam

Let's cut the kid some slack. If, as an adult, we can't accept that this is a child's perspective on a very complex question then shame on us.

I don't agree with his position 100% but I respect his commitment to say how he feels. After all, isn't this America?

February 18, 2011 at 11:45 am |
    • Bugmenot

Free Speech is just a commie plot.

February 18, 2011 at 11:53 am |
  2. DBenfield

LOOK, This is his opinion. Why is everybody ready to jump people over their own values. I respect him for his value and his opinion. People get a life. He shouldn't change just because he is a popstar. I am proud of him for standing up for what he believes in. If a few more people did that in this country we wouldn't be where we are now. Instead we let other people decide for us!!! WAY TO GO JUSTIN!!!

February 18, 2011 at 11:45 am |
    • Jace

Excellent points!!

February 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
  3. MikesOpinion

Let's see...when its a liberal entertainer – the right says we don't care what they say and should ignore them because they are just entertainers. But when its something they agree with – then all of a sudden we all be listening to what this boy says. Kind of like Republicans in Congress – they are all for less government except they want more government telling a woman what to do with her body and telling you who you can fall in love with.

February 18, 2011 at 11:44 am |
  4. demo

isn't this kid like 12? i think it's importatnt to reach peuberty.

February 18, 2011 at 11:44 am |
  5. Doug

Living in an ultra blue area, I can't be concerned with Democrats killing their babies inside of them, while these Democrats are looking to murder everyone on the roads driving beside them. Priorities please, let's deal with America's #1 killer first, Driving while Democrat.

February 18, 2011 at 11:42 am |
    • Bugmenot

Remember that when you're the victim of a drunk Repuglican.

February 18, 2011 at 11:50 am |
  6. vsmit

He's a mindless creation of the entertainment industry. Who cares what he thinks? Everyone knows the evangelical agenda is goofy and extremist.

February 18, 2011 at 11:42 am |
    • Jace

Why? All evangelists and their believers are not any more extreme than the people who proport "free love" and "damn the consequences." Both camps can be extreme!!! Let us all continue down this path in this country and see where we may end up!!

I consider myself responsible and exercise temperance in most situations. I am not perfect, that is a given. However, people who exercise moral restraint and civility in this country and who live their lives, at least , because of some religious values are the reason the country has not morphed into a "black whole".

The more we adjust our moral compass, the more we get the "Real Housewives" or "fill in the blank" reailty show as if EVERYONE operates like that. NEWSFLASH: THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE IN GOD AND WHO HONESTLY LIIVE THEIR LIVES WITH GODLY PRINCIPLES!! And, I thank God, because if everyone lived their lives without care for others or irresponsibly,where would we be?

Whether we want to admit it or not or because we sometiimes fall short, this country's foundation was based on religious principles. We have freedom of religion and freedom of expression. Why is it that every time someone talks about God, that person is skewered but people like Lady GAGA who doesn't have the decency to dress appropriately at an athletic event is worshipped like an "idol God!!!"

I don't know about you or others, but if I were in trouble, I'd call on God in a heartbeat. Faith strenghthens and sustains.
      It makes you want to exercise restraint when you want to "go postal" or disrepect others who assail or try to destroy you.

February 18, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
    • IntegralReality

Jace: Not true. America's "evangelicals" are merely a christian variation on the Taliban. Pretty soon, "evangelicals" will be throwing acid on the faces of women that refuse to not wear high heels, or short skirts.

February 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
  7. ian

Why would people get mad over this? He is a 15 year old who knows absolutely nothing. No doubt his views are a product of being around his religious nut mother. Young kids are subjected to the views of their nutty parents and this is what happens. I wish people who are religious would stay out of people's business. Women have the right to choose what to do in the case of abortion. Thats how it is and should be. Religious people need to concentrate on their own lives and just leave sane people alone.

February 18, 2011 at 11:42 am |
  8. dandemain

Oh, BTW.......if abortion is murder, is a miscarriage manslaughter?

February 18, 2011 at 11:42 am |
    • jwills

I never cease to be amazed at how lacking liberals are in their ability to think logically.

February 18, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
  9. Bob

Yeah, lets all get bent out of shape about what a 16 year old has to say.

February 18, 2011 at 11:41 am |
  10. zbtrocker

He's not even old enough to vote. Why is anyone taking his comments seriously?

February 18, 2011 at 11:41 am |
  11. dandemain

He's 16. He's Canadian. So who cares what the boy that looks like a little lesbian thinks?

February 18, 2011 at 11:41 am |
    • Jace

Justin has just as much right to hold certain beliefs and offer his opinion based on those beliefs as the rest of us.

February 18, 2011 at 11:56 am |
    • IntegralReality

Jace: Ownership of an opinion does not mean that that opinion is valid, or that others must respect that opinion.
      The Nazis had plenty of opinions, you would grant them their right to hold those to, no?

February 18, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
  12. Mom of Fan

He said: . " I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that." Give the kid a break, he's talented, an and decent role model. He's never going to be perfect to everybody's thinking and he's allowed to use his own brain. Would you rather your kid admire crack addict and pot smoker Lady Gaga?

February 18, 2011 at 11:40 am |
    • chris

gaga smokes crack? weed is healthier then alcohol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 11:44 am |
    • IntegralReality

You admire George W. Bush, and he was an admitted coke head.
      I'll bet you admire Rush Limbaugh too, he's a prescription pill junkie.
      Wanna keep going?

February 18, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
  13. BillM

Where's the "backlash"? LOL media.

February 18, 2011 at 11:40 am |
  14. Sam

In this country it is totally legal for a woman to kill her baby until it is born. Some people don't like that. I respect the ladies right to end their baby's life and I respect Bieber's right to an opinion.

February 18, 2011 at 11:39 am |
    • Elaine

pretty sure it's just first trimester abortions that are legal...

February 18, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • Lindsay

Incorrect- Abortion is LEGAL in all 9 months of pregnancy, including partial birth. However, it is true that in many states, you will have a hard time finding a doctor that will do a late term, or PB.

February 18, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
  15. Dr. B. Good...

Grow up a little, son, and you may learn that a woman's body is not your property.

February 18, 2011 at 11:39 am |
    • huh?

did he say a woman's body was his property? NO... I didn't read that...but he did say "I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that."

Dr. B Bad.....Wake up moron!

February 18, 2011 at 11:45 am |
    • Dr. Emily Scott

Correct, Mr. B. Good. It's the property of God. And as a woman, I would never dare to declare that an unborn baby is MY body. It may be IN my body but it is not MY beating heart. To stop the beating heart of an unborn baby is cowardly murder. It is unfortunate that some women (myself included) become pregnant without planning, but we all know the game and how babies are made and why we have uterus's to begin with. Ignorance and selfishness will never justify stopping a beating human heart.

February 18, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • WeCanSucceed

Exactly

February 18, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • veritas

Dr. Emily Scott,we do not live in a theocracy, but rather a secular society with a guarantee of separation of church and state. If you believe that you are the property of God, that is your right. However, we cannot have governmental policy that assumes as much. You are welcome to your religious beliefs. You, however, are not welcome to impose them upon others in the form of public policy.

February 18, 2011 at 11:51 am |
    • WeCanSucceed

Exactly Dr B. – Trust Women to know what is best for them and their families. Men/boys do not own a woman's body. Women are not children in need of men/boys to tell them what they can and cannot do, say and cannot say. Trust Women to decide for themselves.

February 18, 2011 at 11:51 am |
    • Dr. Emily Scott

And you sir or madam do not have the right to determine who lives or dies by your own hand. I took an oath not with a hand on a bible, but with a doctorate degree. Your secular society rant and rave does not deter me from knowing right and wrong. Period. Now, I'm off to begin my shift. Should you pass through here with a bullet wound, I promise to save your life, if I can, as well. Good day.

February 18, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • Crystal

Bravo Dr. Scott!

February 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
    • Dr. B. Good...

Dr. Emily Scott, Is that the same God that did all that murdering in the Bible? How many people have been murdered in the name of that God?

February 18, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • jwills

Hey veritas, aren't you "imposing" your views on those that hate abortion by wanting it legal under the law? Or is it "imposing" only when it it's a conservative or Christian point of view?

February 18, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
  16. Caleigh

Haha "Bieber has great influence on young people." I happen to be 16 and I happen to disagree completely.

February 18, 2011 at 11:39 am |
  17. JoeT

As a man, I try to leave the decision on these issues to those who have uteri. With a small amount of luck, Bieber will someday mature enough to allow those most impacted make the decision between themselves and whatever god or gods they may reconcile their actions with.

February 18, 2011 at 11:39 am |
    • jwills

Since when was the possession of "uteri" relevant to the rightness or wrongness of killing the innocent?

February 18, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  18. Dan Quinn

A young courageous lad. He is correct abortion is murder.

February 18, 2011 at 11:38 am |
    • Bugmenot

on what statute in law do you base that presumption?"if thine eye offendeth thee, pluck it out. If thine tumor discomfort thee, remove it"

February 18, 2011 at 11:45 am |
  19. free to decide

prochoice

free the west memphis 3

February 18, 2011 at 11:38 am |
  20. MightyMoo

Men don't carry the child for 9 months in their tummies or try to pass a mellon through something the size of a golf/tennis ball. Until men start doing that more we really should shut our yaps and let the women decide what is best for their own bodies. If men want to be more responsible for said unborn children then maybe we need to stop thinking with the one noodle and start using the noodle on our heads more. Then we wouldn't be in that situation in the first place.

February 18, 2011 at 11:38 am |
    • Criminy

One easy solution for women who feel as you do... would be to not get pregnant. Use a little restraint or take precautions.

February 18, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • ldb316

How difficult/painful it is to carry/deliver a child is not the question & has no bearing on the question. If something is right or wrong, it is so, regardless of the relative difficulty or ease required.

February 18, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • Jace

Sometimes, it is not that simple. More than on occasion, women will CHOOSE to get pregnant without the knowledge of the man in order to trap him into marriage or a committment. Even when the man assumes that they are on the same page and the woman is suppose to be on the pill or using some other type of contraceptive, he can be mislead and find himself in a situation that he did not sign off on. Also, condoms are not 100%.

It is funny in those situations, how, if a woman then chooses to keep the child, legally, a man is responsible for the financial support of that child – even if he did not want or CHOOSE to have the child in the first place. But, in cases of abortion, the woman now has ALL RIGHTS because nature has designed her as "baby carrier"? That is preposterous!!!

A man has just as much right to make decisions on the life of a child as the woman. Women cannot have it both ways!!

February 18, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • donna

Jace, men/boys most certainly have absolute rights over this decision. Your choice comes when you decide to engage in the act that might end in pregnancy. If you can't handle the fact that women have control over their bodies, then you should not have relations- regardless of contraception. Nothing is 100% except for abstinence. So if you feel so strongly against the potential of the woman controlling her pregnancy, you should be mature and not have relations in the first place. Take responsibility for your body, and don't give parts away to people if you can't handle the potential consequences.

February 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
    • MightyMoo

I'm not a woman, I'm a man.

Ultimately the woman has the final say, men may not like it but that is the way it is. We can influence their decision but the choice remains firmly in the woman's hands ultimately. Men could also force their will on the woman such as legislation to ban abortion but that would be forcing our choices on them and be a form of slavery if our decisions aren't in line with theirs.

"Use a little restraint or take precautions"

This applies to men as well. Use precautions and if you are really paranoid about getting in to the situation then use restraint.

February 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • Criminy

MightyMoo, I agree that it is every bit as important for the male to take precautions or maintain restraint if he does not want to have a child. I, for one, will never be on the side of telling a woman she does not have a right to have her abortion. My original comment was simply a solution... if there is no pregnancy, there is no need to do away with a fetus.

February 18, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • Immp

ldb316, considering how many women die in childbirth or from complications from pregnancy, yeah, it is important to consider carefully carrying a pregnancy to term or ending it. In the US, there are 16.7 women dying per 100,000 live births. And globally, 343,000 women died in or from childbirth (statistics for 2008). Here's the link, in case you want to read more. http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/apr/12/maternal-mortality-rates-millennium-development-goals
      It is insane how many people are so religiously indoctrinated that they cannot see the woman as a human being with rights instead of an incubator.

February 18, 2011 at 9:24 pm |