home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. KJM1968

When he gets pregnant, he can voice his opinion.

February 18, 2011 at 11:53 am |
  2. Real Woman

And just how many times as Justin Bieber been pregnant?

February 18, 2011 at 11:53 am |
  3. Stephan

maybe he is smart enough to know that if his mother aborted him.....

February 18, 2011 at 11:53 am |
    • KJM1968

...the world would be a better place.

February 18, 2011 at 11:54 am |
  4. W

Lol, dude is like 16. Who gives a F what he thinks? Seriously, come on people.

February 18, 2011 at 11:52 am |
  5. elizabeth

it's HIS opinion folks. besides, abortion is murder. It's awful. Think about it.

February 18, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • Demo

elizabeth, I thought about it and i'm still pro-choice.

February 18, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
  6. BENJAMIN

WOODCHUUCK: YOU HAVE THE RIGHT NAME.

February 18, 2011 at 11:52 am |
  7. kcgirl8

He has the right to his opinion. Get over it!

February 18, 2011 at 11:51 am |
  8. DrKnife

Who the F cares what Justin Beiber thinks about abortion?

February 18, 2011 at 11:51 am |
    • Demo

Ditto

February 18, 2011 at 11:59 am |
  9. Kay Pee

OPINION – 1.a belief not based on absolute certainty or positive knowledge but on what seems true, valid, or probable to one's own mind; judgment

I PRAY FOR THE DAY WHEN AMERICANS REALIZE THAT NOT EVERYONE SHARES THE SAME OPINION BUT EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO THEIR OWN OPINION.

Justin doesn't believe in Abortion – SO WHAT?????? You believe in Abortion – SO WHAT????? Justin gets a girl pregnant – she will have his baby....you get a girl pregnant – you take her to te abortion clinic...the world continues. STOP FOCUSING ON THINGS THAT BEAR NO MERIT. When will you people realize that stories like this are just put out there to stir up your ignorance on such topics? Why isn't this article addressing his VERY RELEVANT AND MATURE points on Healthcare.

Grow up people and open your eyes – pro-lifers aren't going anywhere – pro-choicers aren't going anywhere. Neither one of them is wrong. At the end of the day abortion is the matter of the sperm/egg givers – not you, not the law, but the people involved in creating this embryo/fetus.baby!

February 18, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • donna

Kay Pee- do you seriously think that Americans don't know that everyone doesn't share the same opinions? Have you ever paid attention to American politics?

February 18, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
  10. blessed

It's really easy to talk about when you're 16 years old, but when you're in the situation it's hard to get out.. Things happen.. I DON'T BELIEVE IN ABORTION ....NEVER!!!!! IT'S LIKE COMMENTING A ......HOMICIDE.....

February 18, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • Joe Rioux

"Commenting a homicide?" Spell check, my moral friend.

February 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
  11. steve houston

If I were Bieber's PR person, I would tell him to avoid controversial questions. Besides, who cares what he thinks on abortion. It's like asking a famous tennis player after winning the Grand Slam what their stand on abortion is. What's the point and who cares what they think. The media is just looking for a juicy story to sink their teeth into.

February 18, 2011 at 11:50 am |
  12. joe

Does it really matter what his views of abortion are? He can't get his boyfriends pregnant so it really doesn't matter to him anyway.

February 18, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • pneuma

If a beating heart is all that is required for murder, then sign me up for the electric chair. I plan on "murdering" a cow in a few minutes, with some french fries on the side.
      Perhaps you are not intelligent enough to understand that it requires more than a beating heart to qualify as human.

February 18, 2011 at 11:56 am |
    • pneuma

This commenting system is terrible. Previous reply was intended above. My apologies.

February 18, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • dalis

No one has ever argued that the embryo isn't "human". They argued that it was unwanted – a single criterion to justify abortion.

February 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  13. Andre

If there's a heartbeat, it's killing. 99.9% of abortions are performed 8 to 12 weeks into a pregnacy. A heartbeat can be heard at 6 weeks. If you don't think that's murder, maybe you're just not that intelligent to comprehend life and death. Heartbeat: ALIVE No Heartbeat: DEAD.

February 18, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • ps

So true! CNN is trying to make it out like people don't agree with Justin Beiber. It seems to me a lot of people do.

February 18, 2011 at 11:54 am |
  14. Elaine

How can a 16 year old boy have a real opinion about a woman's reproductive system, has he even taken sx-ed yet?

February 18, 2011 at 11:46 am |
  15. Woodchuuk

big deal, another dummy brainwashed to believe in hocus pocus hogwash. last I checked this is what most of the morons in this country believe.

February 18, 2011 at 11:45 am |
  16. Karin

Let the person in the situation make the decision. I have never had an abortion, and I doubt that I ever would because that is my decision. That being said, I would not FORCE my decision/opinion on someone else, especially since I don't live their life or pay their bills or taxes. I wouldn't presume to know what's best for someone I've never met.

February 18, 2011 at 11:45 am |
  17. TGLAZ

You know, I have to agree with OntheRoad, it should be the choice of the woman in question and no one elses... that there may be someone out there willing to adopt an unwanted child (there are several reasons why this may be) does not change the fact that you are trying to impose your opinion and way of life on someone else for what you think is right, which is wrong and inconsiderate of others and their own beliefs. Let's let the mother handle that decision, and they will do as they see fit.

February 18, 2011 at 11:45 am |
    • Grip

The mother is NOT the only one involved. The father of the child should absolutely have a say. If my girlfriend and I get pregnant, it should not be her decision alone to kill my baby.

February 18, 2011 at 11:59 am |
    • Heath+1

and yet here you are telling us how YOU feel about how we need to keep our mouth shut. What is the problem, uncomfortable that some people have standards and morals?

February 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
    • TGLAZ

I am not saying you need to shut your mouth, I'm saying that you should be considerate of someone else's opinion. We have many here with differing opinions, and mine is as valid as yours is.

@ Grip, agreed...as long as the father plans to be involved in their lives (ie: not a rapist, dead beat etc.) and is. Very good point.

February 18, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • Aaron

You can't leave the decision to the mother if she is deciding to kill an innocent baby (that holds true at any age.) If it is just "tissue" then a woman has the right to cut it out just like she has the right to cut off her finger, but an unborn child is not just tissue. It has unique DNA and develops all the features and functions of thought that make us human long before it starts to breath air. Friends of our lost their 16 week old pregnancy last month and had to deliver the baby still born; a trauma I can't begin to imagine. The hardest thing was that the husband said it looked like a child with everything down to fingernails. At 16 weeks we all had fully functioning brains that reacted and responded to our environment and even remembered things that had happened. Although 88% of abortions are in the first trimester (according to federal statistics) with the rate of abortion in this country over 1 million a year that means that over 100,000 babies like this and older are selectively killed each year. This can't be a "choice". Society has a duty to protect its most vulnerable; that's not a choice. If you believe that life starts at the point of conception when new and unique DNA is formed then you can't say let everyone decide for themselves when they can kill their child.

February 18, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
  18. JC

No one I know is Pro Abortion. No one even the anguished mother is happy about killing anything. People are Pro Choice. A womens choice not some Cristian who is holier then thou. Stay out of peoples lives and go to a homeless shelter and help living people. Oh wait we can't help homeless. They are lazy and freeloaders.

February 18, 2011 at 11:45 am |
    • ps

I'm pro-choice too. I "choose" life.

February 18, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • Randy

People are not pro choice to have toast rather than rather than a muffin. They are pro choice to have an abortion if you want one. To be pro choice means to be pro abortion, don't fool yourself.

February 18, 2011 at 11:53 am |
    • Buggaboo

It is nice to know that there are people in this world who still has common sense! good comment

February 18, 2011 at 11:54 am |
    • JC

I respect your position now respect mine.

February 18, 2011 at 11:56 am |
    • dalis

Women are anguished about abortion? Then we should be working to make it the rarest medical procedure in America, not the single most common. Someone in America IS pro-abortion. They profit from abortion. They don't want you to give birth. They have sized you up and you don't qualify. You know what I'm talking about.

February 18, 2011 at 11:56 am |
    • Dave Z

JC, I don't understand your comment at all. If we had millions of people each year being killed by guns (which we don't), and the people shooting these guns said, "I didn't really enjoy killing the person I shot; it was just my choice to do so". Hopefully you'd scratch your head and say, "What's wrong here?". These unborn babies are alive. Why not help them? Aren't they in need of help like the homeless person on the street you so want to help? BTW, there are a lot of pro-life people that do help homeless people. So, be careful to judge others.

February 18, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
  19. Vicky

Abortion = Murder

February 18, 2011 at 11:45 am |
    • Sam

Only a sith lord deals in absolutes 🙂

February 18, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • Ryan

False.

Nice one, Sam! 🙂

February 18, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
    • Jennifer

abortion is not muder. Let me prove it.

Man's law – If I have an abortion this morning, I will not be arrested this afternoon and charged with murder.
      God's law – Murder is punishable by death. According to God's law if you murder a born person, the penalty is death. According to God's law if you murder an unborn, the penalty is you pay a fine.

Under both man's law and God's law, the death of an unborn is not murder. If you have any question, read your Bible. It is clearly outlined there.

February 18, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • please.

Not just a fetus is human. Now a day-old embryo is human. Welcome to the world kid. Bad news. The day after fertilization your mother killed someone. Since you were a human, you too were guilty of murder. You're eligible for parole in 24 years.

February 18, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • Lindsay

@Jennifer- The God's Law part of your assertion, where did you find the scriptures for this ? I am very curious...

February 18, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • Eugene

Vickey""""that is the only way it is" well said""" next

February 18, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  20. Alert U

Coming soon to a Conservative Nation near you; Spontaneous miscarriage? Woman will be hauled into court to explain what that was all about. Expect a smarty pants lawmaker in Kansas for example, to suggest such incidences, a woman refrains from relationships for six months or pay a fine. Should it happen again a mandatory one year jail term. Of course at this point Clarence Thomas and his buddies have already overturned the decision, making abortion a capital crime.

February 18, 2011 at 11:45 am |
    • dalis

Where is this assertion coming from!? Your scenario never happened pre-Roe v. Wade? Why should it happen in the future?

February 18, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • IzWithStoopid

I don't get how the same group of people who say they don't want the government involved in the lives of private citizens always seem to want the government involved in the lives of private citizens when it promotes their agenda....

February 18, 2011 at 11:53 am |
    • The Thinker

Alert U, I see what you're saying... if ANYONE says that they don't agree with abortion, then somehow, somewhere, at some time in the future, it might be possible that some ridiculous lawsuit might possibly happen. (End sarcasm) Seriously, Alert U, the POINT about free speech is to listen to and respect the opinions of other people. Good for Bieber for having the guts to discuss a controversial issue which is important to him.

February 18, 2011 at 11:54 am |