home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. D.R.

Noone has the right to tell a woman what she can or cannot do with her body Disguising personal beliefs behind religion is a joke. Its too bad that we have so many people in this world that think they have the right to tell others what to do...

February 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Well I've had an abortion. You can have whatever opinions you want on the issue, but until you've actually gone through the experience of having an abortion yourself, then please sit down and quit making uninformed and ignorant remarks. Either way. I don't want to hear about pro-choice. I don't want to hear about pro-life. Because you'll find that once you've had abortion, and then you change your mind on the issue, there is nothing you can say or do that doesn't seem hypocritical to yourself anymore. And you also find that even though you don't believe in abortion, you know you had justifiable reasons to have done it, and you still would have done it again if you had to, even though you are against it. So therein lies the problem: pro-choicers cannot logically give you a date where it isn't murdering a human being, and they cannot look at a fetus of any size as a human being. And pro-lifers cannot see past it being immutably wrong to be justifiable or even necessary for any greater good whatsoever. Well I'm sick of it. I think the loudest protesters are those who've never been through it. Because if they had been, they would be very quiet.

February 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  3. Dave

Proud Father here! After going throw pregnancy with my wife I am now more convinced that abortion is murder. I saw firsthand the development of a child. From the day he was conceived til the day he was born I watched him grow each month. When does pro-choice allow people to use for poor judgment? There is a natural order for things in life. What ever happen to saving yourself until marriage? We have lost sight of our moral compass and we are heading for disaster.

February 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  4. Joot

So much for the liberals belief in tolerance of others' ideas, viewpoints, and cultures.

FWIW, everyone has a set of morals which they have learned and accepted. The differences between our moral sets are the source(s) of their morals.

February 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  5. Steve

It is not a law. It is a court decision. The people's elected representatives have never debated or voted on this.
    I have been a party to abortion – it not only kills the human inside the woman it also permanently affects the parties to the murder.

February 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  6. JC

If Christianity has their way we will all be praying 5 times a day and stoning adulterers. See Iran and Saudi Arabia to see how well theocracies work!

February 18, 2011 at 11:59 am |
    • dalis

Nope.

February 18, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
    • epdemer

There is a world of difference between the moral law (including laws against taking the life of another human being) and the civil laws (stoning) or ceremonial laws (regarding foods and washing) of the Bible. Moral laws do not change over time, while civil and ceremonial laws do because they dealt with a specific time in history.

And for those who think that the moral laws are as outdated as the civil and ceremonial laws, please provide me with your address and be sure to leave your door unlocked so I can "choose" to come relieve you of your big-screen LCD tv and stereo system. After all, if it's my choice and I believe that I am inconvenienced by not having the same, then it cannot POSSIBLY be morally wrong, right?

February 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
  7. Justin's Right

Kudos to Justin Bieber!! It is so refreshing to see someone that young express the right viewpoint on the tragedy of abortion! He is a good role model for all other teenagers, as well as others, who should listen to him and refrain from activity that would lead to an unwanted pregnancy! Justin has it right! May God bless him always for his outspoken stance on this issue and may many more lives be preserved and be allowed to come to full term!

And to think that abortion is So Preventable! Just have a conscience about what could happen if you get pregnant and can't keep the child. Therefore, Abstain or Always Use Protection! It's really that simple! And the life you save, may just be one of your own!

February 18, 2011 at 11:59 am |
  8. mike

Someone planted that "red herring", in his popularity. Come'on you saw what happened on that Sienfield episode when Elain asked her newly found boyfriend the same question.

February 18, 2011 at 11:58 am |
  9. donna

Tacjam, you aren't even responding to what I'm saying. Men have a choice- don't say they don't have a choice. Stop acting like you're a victim if you get a girl pregnant. Perhaps you should move to a country where you would have control over a woman's body, but here, you don't. So obviously, you should abstain until you relocate. : )

February 18, 2011 at 11:58 am |
  10. kmath

Girls burst out in tears at his MOVIE! Thousands of impressionable girls acting insane over this kid. I tought that was scary enough until I read that he is trying to plant seeds of Christianity.
    Parents, if your daughter is screaming and crying like a crazy person at a young male singer, maybe you are doing something wrong. Perhaps you should hide your own copies of US Weekly and teach them that celebrity obsession is not a good way to spend their time.

February 18, 2011 at 11:56 am |
  11. Hulamama51

The problem with "allowing" people to make their own choice is that not only do I consider it murder but it is being paid for with my tax dollars.
    and in reference to Gayle...I would be willing to bet that your Mother didn't think of you as a parasite.....I know my children weren't parasites...they were living and growing inside of me....and I loved them from the day I found out I was going to have them.

February 18, 2011 at 11:56 am |
    • FactsPlease

Hulamama, I highly suggest doing some research before worrying too much about your tax dollars and abortion. I also loved my child from the moment I knew she was there. Her nickname? 'Parasite.' Loving the eventual child that will result from the current fetus doesn't change the facts of pregnancy.

February 18, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
  12. Been there done that

I became a teenage mother because I made the decision that I could live with at that moment in time. If it had happened a year earlier or a year later, I might have made a different decision. I don't dare judge anyone else's choice as I don't live in their shoes. We live in the United States where the Supreme Court decided that as a woman, I get to make that decision for myself. If you don't want to have an abortion, don't. (And because I can't resist a little dig... I thought Republicans believed in individual rights... I guess that's all good unless you're choice isn't what they believe in.)

February 18, 2011 at 11:56 am |
    • dalis

The leadership of the GOP is pro-choice. They pander to Christians, while they secretly fund the abortion rights lobby.

February 18, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • JOregon

As a society we have lost respect for human life.
      I think the pro abortion stand is part of that.
      If a woman can choose to kill her child before it is born then why is it wrong to kill them later when they become "mouthy" teenagers.
      I don't use that as a sane example, but unfortunately those on the fringe of mental stability are influenced by societies trends.

February 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
  13. Kat

Funny he gets backlash for this opinion. I was actually impressed he spoke his mind in truth, no matter the criticism.

February 18, 2011 at 11:56 am |
  14. bear florida

There are more babies aborted in this country in one day than all the soldiers killed in the Iraq war since the beginning.
    Pro choice has led to mass genocide.

February 18, 2011 at 11:55 am |
    • dalis

Genocide is the result of conspiracy. There are 1.3 million abortions annually in America because 1.3 million women made 1.3 million choices – some of them more like acquiescences than choices.

February 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
    • Realist

Funny how most Pro-Lifers say how so many "Babies" are killed each year by abortion, but yet when it comes time to pony up money to help children in need they say it is not their responsibility. You can't have it both ways. If you make abortion illegal, you better have plenty of money in PUBLIC coffers to help raise these children, because most of them are unwanted. If you not willing to supply that support, then you shouldn't voice your opinion.

February 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
  15. Amanda

Finally! Someone not afraid to stand up for his beliefs and to live by them. Kudos to you! These days everyone is worried about being politically correct and not hurting anyones feelings and blah blah blah. Stand up for yourself and what you believe in. Women have rights to their bodies but that tiny baby inside them is not their body to destroy...who made them God? Only God decides who lives and who dies and that is the way it should be.

February 18, 2011 at 11:55 am |
    • FactsPlease

That's what is so convenient. He doesn't *have* to live by this particular belief. He, himself, will never be faced with the risk that pregnancy can entail. Makes it so much easier to lecture others. He's a kid, he has a right to an opinion but only himself to blame if it makes him look ignorant.

February 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
    • Iphantom

What if the woman doesn't believe in God? Should she be forced to live her life based on standards set out in your beliefs?

February 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
    • Steve

Okay well how do you feel about war? Why is it God's will to let people kill others in war, but not his will when a baby is aborted, huh?
      What about a doctor performing surgery to save a patient's life? Was it not God's will to give that person their ailment, injury, etc?

February 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
    • JOregon

@FactsPlease,
      Some facts.
      95% of all abortions are for birth control purposes not health or r-ape.
      17% of all abortions are in his age group, under 19. Almost all of those between the ages of 16-19. Very few of these are because of health reasons.
      56% are done between the ages 20-29.
      Only when you get to the older age category do you find health reasons gaining but never does it come close to those people that use abortion for a means of birth control.

February 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
    • FactsPlease

@JOregon, thanks, I'm aware of those facts. Your point? That you don't like it or disapprove, I'm guessing. And? Whether or not the woman involved is aborting for health purposes is irrelevant. Forcing childbirth automatically entails forcing a variety of risks and only the woman gets to choose said risks. Either individual human beings have physical autonomy or we don't. And before we start talking about humans not yet born, the issue is they utilize the physical resources of the woman to develop. If I did something that resulted in you having organ damage and without a transplant you would die and I was the only living person who could provide the transplant, I still could not be compelled to do so against my will. And you are an actual person.

There are a variety of ways to help reduce the necessity for abortions but legislating the right away is not one of them. Forced gestation and childbirth is a violation of a woman's right to care for her body as she sees fit.

February 18, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • JOregon

@FactsPlease,
      You had said, "He's a kid, he has a right to an opinion but only himself to blame if it makes him look ignorant."
      Fact is his age group is producing a HUGE number of unwanted pregnancies. You dismiss him as a kid with no legitimate opinion.
      People his age NEED to think about these issues. It makes you look ignorant.
      I am fairly Liberal, I believe all life should be respected. The unborn child is a living being.
      If you question that, why do you suppose someone can be prosecuted for murder if they cause a woman to lose her fetus?
      The woman does have the right to choose, if she chooses to have s-ex without contraception then she needs to live with her choice.

February 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  16. Mary

Leave the kid alone – at least he's trying to develop an opinion about something and use his belief system to decide his views. That's more than most kids his age will do. They asked him his opinion, he stated his opinion. He's not forcing his beliefs on anyone here. Get over yourselves.

February 18, 2011 at 11:54 am |
    • PJ

Well said Mary!! I couldn't agree more. : )

February 18, 2011 at 11:58 am |
    • Lindsay

Exactly!

February 18, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
    • DoodleSheep

If a belief is stupid, there's nothing wrong with people calling someone on being stupid. And yes, his belief is stupid.

February 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
    • Lulu

Agreed. He's being who he is. He's not trying to convert everyone, but he is expressing a deeply personal part of himself. If he was discussing his Buddhist or Jewish (etc) faith, folks would be praising him. But Christians are the preferred group to pick on these days.

February 18, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • Mary

So Doodle Sheep, anyone whose belief is different from your own is stupid? The only "stupid" thing is people who can't accept that people have different beliefs without being nasty and judgmental. Get an education. Or better yet, learn some tolerance.

February 18, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
  17. Don

Who cares what this kid says? First, he has never been in the position of a father, so he does not understand. Second, he has never and will never carry a child inside of him (unless rumors are true, in which case congratulations Mrs. Bieber). Third, he ISNT American and wont get a vote when he eventually turns 18. If he thinks that it should be a political issue that is important to him, voice your opinions to the Canadian media...

February 18, 2011 at 11:54 am |
    • JOregon

He is also at the age where huge numbers of abortions are committed for birth control purposes.
      I'm glad he is speaking out. His age group NEEDS to think about this.

February 18, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
  18. ArtInChicago

This is why you marvel at the talent and not the person. Ty Cobb was racist, but you can't take away his baseball talent. I think Streisand can sing, but she inserts foot in mouth constantly. Bieber is a kid, who is the current flavor of the month within that fickled teenage years and he is giving views on abortion? Stick wtih singing and Ozzy commercials Bieber. Just ask the Dixie Chicks.

February 18, 2011 at 11:53 am |
  19. Ralf the Dog

Sad that in 10 years, he will be strung out on IV meth in a cheep hotel room. Why does anyone care what a child star thinks?

February 18, 2011 at 11:53 am |
    • Please

I rebuke that. People are so daft. There is power in words and declarations. If you want to declare it about yourself, then by all means. Not that it's good, but don't curse another because of your own insecurities.

February 18, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
  20. blessed

I think he's 100% RIGHT.....

February 18, 2011 at 11:53 am |
    • Nero

You can think all you want. I KNOW he is wrong!

February 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm |