home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Boxcar

what a little tool.

February 18, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • Brian

little tool? projecting perhaps? That little tool is a millionaire and has smokin hot girls all over his world, being envious of his success is lame, grow up loser

February 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
  2. bob

translation: bieber thinks he can have a baby with any girl he wants, regardless of her opinion on the matter. if he has to attack her to get her pregnant, oh well, she still has to have his baby if he decided to attack her. That's what it means to oppose abortion.

February 18, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • JenLaw

Hey Bob, if you are actually a male, I'm not interested in jumping a woman and I'm right-to-life!!

February 18, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  3. Rog

You people are idiots that are critical of a 16 year old kid. Please tell me how many 16 year olds(from Canada) you know who have a legitimate view on abortion or other political/religious debates. Eff all of you for even wanting to create a backlash from an under informed teen.

February 18, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
  4. Brian's Mother

Jesus blows

February 18, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
  5. Doc

So, not only is this kid a marginally talented peformer who is utterly lacking in artistic merit or substance, he is also afflicted with marginal intellect and brainwashed by the christian right. I will be so glad when his 15 minutes of fame are up. Trust me, it won't be long. Twelve year old girls are predicably fickle when it comes to pop idols and someone new is right around the corner.

February 18, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
  6. Rev, Buster Bloodvessel

It was nice watching him shot by cops on CSI. Now I wish they'd shot him in the face.

February 18, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
  7. Caassaandraa Bieeber(:

First To Staart it off iLoooovee Jb<3 iHopee one daay we caan meet(: JB iisz an amaaszinq artist aand performeer,hee worksz veery haard aand doesznt give up(: Hee Loveesz hisz Bieber faansz&&Thaatsz amaszing! Justin keep your heead up cusz no oneesz higher theen you haahaa #NEVER SAY NEVER(: iLoveeYouMyBieebsz

February 18, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • Rev, Buster Bloodvessel

He would totally be your new BFF as soon as you break into his house to meet him. Start today. Let us know how it works out.

February 18, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
    • DoodleSheep

I hope you're not American, or are just joking around, because the way you typed that message makes me weep for our future.

February 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
    • logicgirl

@Rev, Buster Bloodvessel,
      I'd like to make you my BFF just for that hilarious comment!

And I am seriously hoping that Caassaandraa is making an (somewhat paltry) attempt at humor because otherwise I might be seriously scared. Not of the Bieber stalking but the sentence syntax and punctuation. I wonder how kids these days (hopefully she's a child) choose where to randomly insert periods and commas. Is it every three words, every fourth word, or every other line? After every inserted emoticon? And do they feel compelled to throw in a few exclamations just for fun?

February 18, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
  8. Vince

He's 16. The "political" beliefs that I had when I was 16 went right out the door when I grew up, went to college, and learned some things about the world. Once he starts learning about the world on his own...he may be less inclined to simply mirror mommy and dadies beliefs.

February 18, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
  9. Rick

Typical worthless pieces of trash press... He gave his freaking opinion... and then they write MORE sensationalism stories about the people who disagree..

It is HIS OPINION... tought crap if you don't like it. You don't have to agree. Respect and freaking MOVE ON.

Eric Marrapodi YOU SHOULD BE FIRED. Piece of NEWS trash.... BS.

February 18, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
  10. Mark

I'm so sick of these hypocrites claiming "freedom of choice" and then attacking someone for thinking differently. He has every right to say he believes abortion is killing a baby! If you don't agree with it then that's your choice. Why is he not allowed to say it?

And personally I'm of the opinion that we all know that you are killing a life that is growing inside you but some of us chose to ignore that simple fact and treat it as a tumour of growth that could potentially derail our selfindulgant lives and can just be removed. People decide what they WANT to do and then work their hardest to convince themselves it's the morally correct thing to do. That doesn't make it right.

February 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
  11. Abortion's Murder

Abortion Is MURDER! What if the mother who aborts had been aborted by her mother and never given a chance to survive? Has that dim-witted potential killer ever thought about that?!

February 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
    • Drinker

Deep man. deep....

February 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
    • Sam

Future is pro abortion buddy ... no matter how hard you preach

February 18, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
    • DoodleSheep

You don't eat meat do you? That's murder too, but I'm guessing you have no problem there.

February 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
  12. Just another reader

Apparently you're not allowed to have an opinion anymore? I can't stand Pro Choicers! They want to fool around with everyone without regard for the human impact.

February 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
  13. Are you kidding me?

He's 16 years old! Who cares!? He's a dumb teen saying random dumb teen things. He has no views of his own. Why ask him about abortion in the first place?

February 18, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • really

So at 16 your opinion doesn't count? At what age does it?

February 18, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • Kevin

Of course his opinion doesn't count.
      Politically, his opinion doesnt count until he reaches 18 years old and starts actively voting (if you don't vote, you dont get to complain!).
      Realistically, his opinion doesnt *matter* until he starts contributing time or money to one side or another of an issue (i.e: "put your money where your mouth is!").
      Ethically, his opinion doesn't matter until he either magically becomes a female, or actually fathers a child.
      Logically, it stands to reason that with his limited amount of life experience that any opinions he may express would be called into question due to his not-fully-developed thought processes and general lack of data required to reach an cognizant conclusion.

So the answer is: NO, his opinion doesn't count.

February 18, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • JO

His views will change as he grows up. I was pro-life till I was 19 then I realized that it wasn't up to me to decide another woman's path. Then when I was 21 got pregnant. Our birth control method failed us and I had an abortion. I still struggle with it to this day but I probably would have done something drastic and stupid to stop the pregnancy if abortion had not been an option. After the abortion I talked to my mom about it and I found out that she had one as well and that my great grandmother didn't have the option in the early 1900s so she tried to use a hanger on herself!! More then likely your surrounded by women who have made the choice and you will never know about it!

February 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • Are you kidding me?

I guess I need to edit this or else it will be in moderation for the next five days:

No, at 16 my opinion didn't count. It was stupid, just like all the other 16 year old kids out there. My guess is that either you are 16 or younger, or just a year or so older. Most 16 year olds don't understand anything about the world because they've never been in it, and I can tell you right now that this kid has never has any kind of life that would give him the opportunity to come to any real conclusion on ab*rtion or r*pe. He has his own opinions and those should be respected, but to get all up in arms over some kid's views is just ret*rded. They will change a thousand times before he is 20, and then they'll change a thousand more times before he settles on an answer that he may or may not follow through with in life.

February 18, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
    • Learn from life

So he's dumb because he disagrees with you, how VERY American.

February 18, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  14. Nutz

I like reading the Belief Blog everyday, it's like the comic section of the newspaper.

February 18, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
  15. matthew

This is america people, so he can think whatever he wants. As long as he doesn't stop other people from practicing their own beliefs, we shouldn't care what he thinks.

February 18, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • Erin

he is Canadian!

February 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
    • DoodleSheep

And because this is America, people can call him out on the idiotic views he has.

February 18, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  16. MikeMazz

had no idea he was a jesus freak....
    In any event.. buh bye career...

February 18, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • Rev, Buster Bloodvessel

His fans are jesus freaks. No telling what he actually believes.

February 18, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
  17. Gaucho420

Justin Bieber can go rot in hell. What a damn loser.

February 18, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • Brian

So, you believe in Hell? Perhaps you should rethink your nasty remark about a kid who knows enough to speak up for the ultimate innocent victims of the world. Fool, we will pray for you.

February 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
    • Gaucho420

Forget praying for me, pray for the 90% on earth with no shelter, no steady source of food and tons of disease...you know, the 90% on earth Jebus apparently forgot about. So pray hard, as 2,000 years worth of praying hasn't done much for most of the world. You're the fool...a very gullible fool with no critical thinking skills.

February 18, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • Learn from life

You obviously have no regard for children in or out of the womb. I wonder if your Mother made the 'right choice'.

February 18, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
  18. Emily

He's not old enough to vote and neither are his fans and by the time they are his 15 minutes of fame will be up.

February 18, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • Kana

Can only hope....

February 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
  19. Kat

He wasn't speaking to the legality of the issue, he was speaking to the morality of it.

February 18, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
  20. tim

poor kid, no matter what his (or anybody's) opinion is on the issue, half of america will completely disagree. it's a no win issue for him or anybody else for that matter.

February 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
    • MICHAEL

He is a child who knows nothing. His opinion on this or any other topic is that of a child. The media are MORONS for putting it out there.

February 18, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • Jessica

Actually Tim, polls show that significantly more than half will disagree with him.

February 18, 2011 at 12:13 pm |