home
RSS
My Take: Remembering the Rev. Peter Gomes
The Rev. Peter Gomes, Harvard University's chaplain for more than 30 years, died Monday at age 68.
March 1st, 2011

My Take: Remembering the Rev. Peter Gomes

By Stephen Prothero, Special to CNN

The Rev. Peter Gomes, who died Monday from complications arising from a stroke at age 68, may not have been “America’s chaplain” — that title belongs to Billy Graham — but he was Harvard’s for three and a half decades.

He was also sui generis — of his own kind. Officially, Gomes was the Plummer Professor of Christian Morals and Pusey Minister in the Memorial Church at Harvard University. But he was also gay, black, Baptist and, for much of his adult life, Republican. Fascinated by the pilgrims, he made his home in Plymouth, Massachusetts.

Gomes' accent was part old Harvard, part colonial New England. He spoke as if his every word would be recorded for posterity.  Many were.

He prayed at President Ronald Reagan’s second inaugural. He preached at the inaugurations of President George H.W. Bush and Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick.

He also wrote many books of sermons, in addition to popular books such as, "The Good Life: Truths That Last in Times of Need," and "The Good Book: Reading the Bible With Mind and Heart." And he was the only guest on "The Colbert Report" I have ever seen who got more laughs than Stephen Colbert.

Sermons came out of him as if channeled, typically without the benefit of notes, and always in elegant paragraphs. Like any great preacher — and he was one of America’s best — he knew not only how to speak but how to speak the truth.

He came out in 1991 while speaking out against homophobic remarks published in a campus magazine, calling himself, simply, "a Christian who happens to be gay. His sermon after 9/11 is one of the finest reflections on that tragedy in the idiom of faith.

The last time I heard him preach was at the memorial service for my graduate school mentor William Hutchison, a specialist in American religious history. Gomes remembered Hutchison as a Quaker and a man of character who brought a tone of civility to a faculty not known for making peace.

“The Harvard Divinity School faculty is a den of vipers," Gomes told us, because at the time, at least, it was.

The last time I saw Gomes was at a dinner he hosted in my honor in 2008. He had invited me to deliver the William Belden Noble Lectures, given each year at Harvard in memory of a divinity student who died while preparing for the ministry.

A dozen or so people attended the dinner, and Gomes lorded over the proceedings, offering, in addition to his old world hospitality, an eloquent prayer and, later, an even more eloquent toast. He made me grateful that night that our lives had crossed, however briefly.

“They will never make another Peter Gomes," I told a friend as I was driving away that night. And they never will.

- CNN Belief Blog contributor

Filed under: Baptist • Christianity • Education • Gay rights • Homosexuality • Politics

1. john316

I think the really scary thing will be when the "true believers" one day realize they have been hoodwinked by a best selling collection of stories written by men for various reasons and purpose.....other than the purpose they believe in....this is true of all the major religions....hold, duck, and cover when that happens.....it could be worse than the status quo we now have to endure.....

March 2, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  2. Dan

Do you love God or do you love your sin? You must choose one or the other. You can not be gay and Christian.

March 2, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • Observer

Why not? Look at all the Christians who don't follow the Golden Rule.

March 2, 2011 at 11:55 am |
    • LivinginVA

Your interpretation of your reading of a single translation of your religion's version of the Bible. There are plenty of people who disagree with you, including my uncle who has read the Bible in much closer to the "original text" than almost anyone else on the planet.

March 2, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  3. ep

now he knows for sure if gays go to heaven. He's only wishing now that he wasn't gay

March 2, 2011 at 11:51 am |
  4. bennie

I will not stand in judgement of this man, that is between him and the Lord. At least he worshipped the Lord and that's more than others who consider themselves "straight Christian conservatives" do.

March 2, 2011 at 11:48 am |
  5. Acew

He had most of the minority qualifications. Black, gay, now all he needed was handicapped, Jewish, thin, with common sense to complete the minorities.

March 2, 2011 at 11:45 am |
  6. JasonInAtlanta

It's a good thing we all now know that he was black , gay and a republican. Relevance?

March 2, 2011 at 11:37 am |
  7. blaqmajik

I see alot of people upset that he is gay....I really don't care...but a Republican that there buddy is the sin that did him in LOL, naw just playin' RIP

March 2, 2011 at 11:37 am |
    • Peggy Munro

Republican is a sin, I agree.

March 2, 2011 at 11:40 am |
    • Acew

Palin is a great example of Republicans being morons.

March 2, 2011 at 11:46 am |
    • Marie

@Acew:: No Palin is just a prime example of an "oops" baby...Birth Control gone wrong...I'd love for "God" to explain that one...

March 2, 2011 at 11:52 am |
  8. Observer

Some people just don't want to listen to experts in the area of psychology and prefer to read minds to know what gays are thinking.

March 2, 2011 at 11:37 am |
  9. James

Oh well, looks like they have to find another token gay, black, minister to spread the word............

March 2, 2011 at 11:32 am |
  10. Humphry

black, going to harvard, and gay. what are the odds.

March 2, 2011 at 11:29 am |
  11. Just Wondering

Why is he described as a Black G-ay GOP? We don't ever see Straight/G-ay White GOP. No need for trolls on this comment board CNN did it for you all. All that needed to be said is Harvard Chaplin Rev. Peter Gomes past away. Instead of describing him as "gay, black, Baptist and, for much of his adult life, Republican" why not a great friend and mentor or something along that line. CNN HE WAS MORE THEN A BLACK G-AY GOP HARVARD CHAPLIN.

March 2, 2011 at 11:16 am |
  12. Reality

"Abrahamics" believe that their god created all of us and of course that includes the g-ay members of the human race. Also, those who have studied ho-mo-se-xuality have determined that there is no choice involved therefore ga-ys are ga-y because god made them that way.

To wit:

o The Royal College of Psy-chiatrists stated in 2007:

“ Despite almost a century of psy-choanalytic and psy-chological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person’s fundamental heteros-exual or hom-ose-xual orientation. It would appear that s-exual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of ge-netic factors and the early ut-erine environment. Se-xual orientation is therefore not a choice.[60] "

"Garcia-Falgueras and Swaab state in the abstract of their 2010 study, "The fe-tal brain develops during the intraut-erine period in the male direction through a direct action of tes-tosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hor-mone surge. In this way, our gender identi-ty (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and s-exual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb. There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender ident–ity or s-exual orientation."[8

Of course, those gays who belong to Abrahamic religions abide by the rules of no adu-ltery or for-nication allowed.

March 2, 2011 at 11:11 am |
  13. Observer

@CW,

Yes, the Bible permits divorce and remarriage if one or more of the parties were adulterers. The huge number of remarried Christians certainly shows a huge amount of adultery. There's certainly more of them than gays. Why not similar trashing?

March 2, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • CW

@ Observer,

I absolutely agree with you....if this story had been "pastor who lived with multiple wives...married several times to WOMEN and cheated on all of them while married"...I would certainly speak about how all these were sins but this guy was a pastor and was so called "G-'ay"....this isn't okay according to the scriptures.

March 2, 2011 at 11:05 am |
    • Observer

@CW,

You have spoken out on this national forum against gays. I am curious: how many times in your life have you told a fellow Christian that they are committing adultery by being remarried? Obviously, there are FAR FAR more of those Christians.

March 2, 2011 at 11:08 am |
    • CW

@ Observer,

I have spoke about this to several folks....saying that its not okay to just divorce...to those where audultery is involved I have gone as far as telling them that God "allows" divorce for this but God would want them to reconcile...as far as remarriage is concerned...I do have people that I know have remarried....If they ever voluntarily when God provides..share what happened to their first marriage...rest assured I WILL speak of what scripture says. I go to a church that also speaks against divorce so....this is something that is already taught in my church.

March 2, 2011 at 11:16 am |
  14. Another mama

I am very disappointed with CNN's link to this article: "Harvard's black, gay, GOP Chaplain dies". Rev. Gomes was a wonderful man who did not deserve to have his life to be summed with with a trenchant statement. Here are his thoughts on his mother. Perhaps it can express my point better than I can.

“She always told me that I must invent my own reality,’’ he told the Globe in June 1996. “Reality will not conform to you. You must invent your own and then conform to it. So I did. I am an authentic and an original. . . . I will not allow myself to be known simply as an African American, no more than I would allow myself to be known as gay or conservative. They are all bits and pieces of a work in progress. I am a child of God.’’

March 2, 2011 at 10:42 am |
  15. LauraBeth

Oh dear, only Peter would have known how to deal with the blind, faithless hate of these responses. Doesn't the Bible you quote so freely say something about not casting the first stone? I challenge any of you to live a life as informed by faith and principle as this good man.

March 2, 2011 at 10:36 am |
    • Peggy Munro

Exactly!

March 2, 2011 at 11:37 am |
  16. USA401

Black, gay GOP Chaplin? Sounds like an oxymoron.

March 2, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • Another mama

Rev. Gomes reflecting on his mother's contribution to his life.:

March 2, 2011 at 10:52 am |
  17. StevieBoy

Gay, Black, Republican, Pusey Minister???? Wow, that's a load to haul up to the Pearly Gates!!

March 2, 2011 at 10:30 am |
  18. Laura

The world has lost a kind, thoughtful, and eminently tolerant man. I has the honor of meeting him at my son's baptism and was amazed at the faith and truth that he preached. I hope that his work continues on in those he taught and mentored.

March 2, 2011 at 10:19 am |
    • Peggy Munro

Great comment, I wish I had the opportunity to meet him.

March 2, 2011 at 11:35 am |
  19. EB Photo

My heart breaks for this man...Although he knew the Word of God, he had no such relationship with the living God (not my words, but from the Bible). His selfish pride toward God got the best of him and he died a sinner. Not an opinion, or a wish of mine, but it does state in the Bible. Please read before responding. If I've stated anything that is not in line with the Bible, please let me know.

When a person calls themselves a Christian, they mean that they are trying to live their lives as best they can like Jesus Christ once did, perfectly. However, if a true Christian (which there are so many that are false), they would know that no matter what we do, it is impossible. You must have a personal relationship with the true and living God. There's no way around that. And to have someone say they have a personal relationship with the true and living God and to say "God says it's okay to be gay" isn't true. God has never changed his mind on any of his teachings since he wrote them...so why would he allow it to happen now? You may not agree with this, but it does explain this very simply from the Bible. It is truth, and even though you might not agree with it, doesn't change the fact that the Bible is truth.

March 2, 2011 at 10:10 am |
    • Observer

Why aren't you trashing your fellow Christians who divorce and remarry, thereby committing adultery? They live in constant sin and I've never heard ONE Christian trash another for it. Just hypocrisy. Pick and choose.

March 2, 2011 at 10:13 am |
    • Loren

Yeah. If only he hadn't been a Republican...:)

March 2, 2011 at 10:15 am |
    • R Hookup

Mathew 7:1 Judge not lest ye be judged.

March 2, 2011 at 10:26 am |
    • CN

more hideous, immoral evil. a shining example of moral and intellectual cowardice ("i don't hate it! god does! i'm only following orders!").

while we have you, mind telling us what god thinks of america not wanting to pay taxes to help people on welfare? what does god think of the overthrow of gaddhafi? what did god think of spiderman on broadway–should they delay their opening more? does he back charlie sheen? should readers give up on george r r martin's song of ice and fire, or should they wait for dance of dragons? what does he think of all these twilight rip-offs? for that matter, does he think the potter and twilight series should be considered true literature? it's so rare to have a primate as prescient as yourself, as close to the mind of god as you claim to be, at hand. don't want to miss the opportunity to have all of life's questions answered.

March 2, 2011 at 10:29 am |
    • Dave

But the Bible is not truth. It is a group of stories written by Men to first attempt to describe their natural surroundings and then to proselytize. Ultimately their beliefs were misguided and ignorant just as they are today. Logic makes faith irrelevant, as it should. Your blind belief in a non-existent spirit saddens me.

I long for a day in which people wake up and see that faith really is as Dawkins says. It 'is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence'

Too many people are harmed in the name of a non-existent god. It is time for this foolishness to end.

March 2, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • CW

@ EB photo,

AMEN...AMEN...AMEN...."THE BIBLE TEACHES THAT ACTING AND LIVING A G-'AY LIFESTYLE IS A SIN"!!!!!...PERIOD.

@ Observer,

Your right marriage is sacred....I believe...ONE SPOUSE...ONE MARRIAGE....you don't get to keep marrying until you find the so called "right one". Scripture does state that if aud-'ultery is involved that the spouse that was cheated on can divorce though BUT the scripture only "allows" this...God would want us to forgive and reconcile.

@ R Hookup,

Let me recommend a book to you...."THE JESUS YOU CAN'T IGNORE". This book talks about all the times that Jesus called out the pharisees and sadducees on their religious beliefs and false doctrines. The good book calls us to keep each other accountable..that means if one of our brothers or sisters sins....we are to encourage them to get back on the right road.

March 2, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • sue

What a simplistic view of God! I bet every time someone you know and/or love is dying that you pray to God for a miracle and when the person doesn't die, it's thanks to God! And when the person DOES die then "Praise, Jesus! They are in a better place!". We all need to take a step back, count to 10 and think about our fellow human beings...people who have feelings and lives to live...quit being so judgmental and begin to understand that your set of beliefs might not be the ONLY set of beliefs. I consider myself a Christian (just not evangelical, and certainly not a Bible literalist!), yet I understand and appreciate and respect the dignity of others who do not share my set of beliefs. This allows me to care for and love, yes....Jews, Muslims, non-believers, etc. I truly believe that is what Christ meant for us to do!

March 2, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • fran glass

CN i don't know if you're a man or a woman, but will you please marry me? :D lol

March 2, 2011 at 10:35 am |
    • Church of Suicidal

Isn't there a soldier's funeral you should be picketing?

March 2, 2011 at 10:37 am |
    • CW

@ fran,

Hope CN is a woman..or you'll be breaking with your abomination of a livestyle....by the way on your previous post....READ THE BOOK OF HEBREW!!!

March 2, 2011 at 10:39 am |
    • Lucy

You must equally condemn your fellow Christians who eats shellfish, divorces, or remarries?

Your post is exactly what is wrong with religious people. So full of hatred and condemnation. You don't even follow the teachings in your own book: "Judge not lest ye be judged" and, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

March 2, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • yalesouth

The bible never empahtically states that its a sin, as far as i know. We have interpeted passage to mean that. But, I mean what of the pastor/ministers who cheat on their wives,for example, or who defraud their parihsoners? We seem to be obsessed with this one sin, if it is indeed one? Further, isnt envy a sin, are you telling me that you have eradicated any and every impulse towards envy within you? We do not know what the man's private life was, but the fact that he was attracted to aparicular type of person is no easier to suppress than our impusles towards envy or hatred, or greed. He was apparently programmmed that way(I know people say that noone is born like that, but unless you are one of them, what makes you an expert?). What makes one sin worse than another, except that for polical or cultural reason, we find one to be especially repugnant?

March 2, 2011 at 10:45 am |
    • fran glass

cw – you are an insufferable moron and i'm an athiest. when are you religious fanatics (and that's EXACTLY what you are. sort of like the muslim fundamentalists i'm SURE you have a ton to say about..) going to realize you can't just say "READ THE BIBLE!!!" to everyone who disagrees with you? It doesn't mean ANYTHING if we don't believe in your bigoted fairytale.

March 2, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • Another mama

The bible is a collection of oral histories compiled into a book by men. Isn't it possible that the scribes may have distorted the "truth" with their own interpretation of a story? It is up to us to reflect on these stories and find our own truth that help us attempt to be the outstanding person that Jesus was. Relying on the literal interpretation of these words, I believe keeps us one step removed from Jesus.

March 2, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • CW

@ Lucy,

See my reply to "R Hookup". Furthermore....the bible states that we are help each other be accountable...that also means calling a false teacher a false teacher if he teaches the good book but lives contrary to its teachings...now...If that is judging then....I'm judging..If this preacher was G-'ay and DIDN'T ACT on this then I would say he was "DENYING HIMSELF" for which the bible DOES TEACH. If that is the case he was truly an inspiration to all those that call themselve's G-'AY.

@ yalesouth,

Let me ask how do you interpret 1 Corinthians 6:9?....or Romans chapter 1?....Seems pretty clear to me about how God spoke about this.

@ fran glass,

Yeah if I were living in Sin...and didn't fear God I wouldn't believe either....ONE DAY YOU WILL BUT IT WILL BE TOO LATE IF YOU DON'T CHANGE.

March 2, 2011 at 10:57 am |
    • fran glass

it's like talking to a brick wall...
      i DO NOT believe in your invisible angry man in the sky and if i did i wouldn't believe in the perverted version of "him" that you seem to. If there is a god and is Jesus Christ was the son of god and if they care at all what's happening on earth (see how this sounds crazy... see?) then i promise you that you are their least favorite kind of "follower".

March 2, 2011 at 11:10 am |
    • Dave

@CW

That is right girl, write in all caps! DO IT! It really gets helps to show how ignorant you really are. Keep believing in your mythology and Fran and I will continue to be intelligent.

@Fran,

Keep speaking the truth.

March 2, 2011 at 11:10 am |
    • iminim

God has, indeed changed "His" mind according to the scriptures. If not, there would be no New Covenant with the people of Christ. Instead, the original covenant with the Hebrew people would specify only them as the chosen of God. There would be no New Covenant to include followers of Christ as the chosen ones. The entire New Testament would not exist.
      Thank you Dr Gomes for encouraging critical thinking and scriptural education as the way to a stronger & more informed faith.

March 2, 2011 at 11:22 am |
    • CW

@ Dave,

We will see who's beliefs are right in the end. The apostles gave their lives for it....just as Jesus gave his for us. I'm willing to state my life on it too.....you willing to bet your life on your errored belief's?....let me guess...that's du-'mb to you b/c your putting your faith in your fellow man.

March 2, 2011 at 11:23 am |
    • JW

God wrote the Bible?

March 2, 2011 at 11:29 am |
    • Peggy Munro

EB,
      Sorry bu you sound exactly like some of my misguided ex friends. You make absolutely no sense and are just repeating what every good Christian says. Why bother? You are offering nothing new. It is people like you that are responsible for others turning away from God. So if you and your kind would just shut up, the world would be a better place. Furthermore, you should stop going to church. When I did I became a better person. I still love God. My God is funny, and intelligent, loving, embracing and does not like others speaking for him, especially those that misrepresent him/her.i

March 2, 2011 at 11:32 am |
    • Brian

This is pretty much what it comes down to. Jesus, or the idea of Jesus, is all grand and good. Who ever created his character really made a likable guy that we can all learn from. But it is just a story, a parable on how people in the desert thought others should live some 2,000 years ago. Some of it applicable today, some not. Just like any mythology. But, people continue to build their life around, and try to legislate their prejudices because of, their belief that....

"A cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree..."

This is it. This is the basis of your worldview. I've read and studied your book/books. This is the best summary of your religion that exists. And people think Scientology is weird.

March 2, 2011 at 11:43 am |
    • Gwenn

What a remarkable tribute, to an even moreso, man. Thank you for writing this very moving column. As to EB Photo, we as 'true' Christians are NOT to judge anyone. You must remember that the Bible was written by
      'mere' mortals, NOT Jesus Christ. Who are we to say what is right or wrong? Speaking of Jesus, He was born 'biblically' because God saw that what was happening was NOT His way, and the ONLY Commandment that Jesus left us was:" To Love One Another, As He So Loves US", period, end, of the Biblical Statement. So, where do you come off with your rhetoric, we as humans are 'supposed' to be living according to the New Testament, NOT, the Old. God is the only judge, not you, not I, nor anyone else who 'posts' for God. He can 'speak' for himself, without any help from the likes of you and me. This is the 21st Century, not 21 B.C., Perhaps you need to judge less, and spend some quality time on 'healing' yourself of the ignorance that you write. God LOVES us ALL, no matter who we are, who we love, or what our 'Religious' beliefs are. Rev. Gomes was a man who Loved the Lord, and spoke "His' Truths. Perhaps you should learn some of those 'Truths' before you post YOUR opinions again. Read the New Testament and youwill find that you are 'inocrrect' in your beliefs.

March 2, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • CN

CW's comments should be a reminder to everyone to be grateful... grateful that our forefathers had the foresight to separate church and state, so that those of us who choose to believe something different or nothing at all cannot be bound by the hideous, nonsensical scrawlings of illiterate sheepherders.

March 2, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
  20. WBM

CW,
    Something else I forgot to add...A follow-up question...CW, in your eyes, would (or should?) any of the sins that you and other stereotypical "born-again" Christians knowingly commit every day preclude you from becoming a Pastor ??

March 2, 2011 at 10:07 am |
    • CW

@ Christian,

About page 2 post's....you seem to forget that we as christians are to encourage our brothers not to SIN.....I'm not Judging....the pastor was G-'AY BY HIS OWN SO CALLED "COMING OUT". THIS IS A SIN....IF YOU KNOW THE BIBLE WE ARE TO ENCOURAGE OUR BROTHERS TO REPENT AND "NOT SIN". Not my words but the Bible.

WBM,

As far as Sin is concerned we are all Sinners...with that said to answer your question. If I felt that God was calling me into being a pastor yes I would say I would definetly have to repent on a daily basis....but I wouldn't keep KNOWINGLY committing the same Sins...i.e. "living the G-AY" lifestyle if I'm to truly say and live as the Bible teaches. Now....I'm still a sinner b/c I'm not perfect and will never be but one has to truly truly do there very best to live according to God's perfect word.

March 2, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • pmmarion

You would have many christians to say that being gay is not a sin... Different interpretations. The bible along with ALL other "sacred" writings are a bunch of hooey. They are nothing more than man's attempt to explain the unknown. It is hubris, plain and simple to even think that man knows what god wants or is thinking.

March 2, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • WBM

I would be willing to bet ... "dollars to donuts" as my Dad used to say ... that there have been *many* times in your life where you have sinned, and you did so knowing *very well* what you were doing. Not only have you knowingly sinned, buy you've done so repeatedly.
      I say this not so much from an accusatorial standpoint, but simply to assert and remind you that you are a human :-D .

March 2, 2011 at 11:01 am |
    • CW

@ WBM,

Your right....I'm not perfect but I try everyday not to sin but one thing I do everyday is spend time on my knees asking for forgiveness...and try NOT to commit the same sins...KNOWINGLY.

March 2, 2011 at 11:08 am |
    • NoGodAllGood

@CW

A lot of these posts prove how hypocritical and disgusting Christians are. All this talk about sin because you are gay is ridiculous. If you want to see real sinners then go to church on Sunday because that’s where they are. Christians think because they sit in a church once a week it makes them better than everyone else and they can pass judgment. I, as a gay man, have sinned far less than any of my straight counter parts ever have. I am also an atheist because I am intelligent enough to realize the bible is nothing but made up stories written by human beings trying to impose their beliefs on other people. It is like following the book of Dr. Seuss. Imagine if you never heard of the bible and all its stories until you were about 20 years old. You would think someone was nuts if they told you this load of crap. Christians are the new KKK in America. “Hate everyone that is different and doesn’t live their life like you!”

March 2, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • CW

@ NoGodAllGood,

First let me address....your right we are all sinners....THAT MEANS YOU TOO!!!! Yes christians go to church on Sunday b/c the Bible ask's us to assemble and praise him and your also right....we are sinners....but the difference in you and I is that we try to live a life that is Godly. Unlike you who say's that your G-'AY...WHICH IS A SIN. Now...how do you know if you sinned less that your straight counter parts...who do you ask?....yourself?....since you don't believe in God....how do you know?...sounds like a bunch of boasting and lies to me. Secondly the Bible is TRUTH...PERIOD. Third....your charge that christians are the new k-'kk..HOW DARE YOU!!!! Like I've said in many posts before...here we go again....when christians call sin..a sin...then its H-'ATE SPEECH....what a bunch of hogwash.

March 2, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
    • JSKC

@CW "but one thing I do everyday is spend time on my knees..."

Funny how your god requires the same action as many a gay encounter. Just sayin....
      **pictures CW exploding with rage**

But in all seriousness, why do majority of religious conservative bloggers feel the overwhelming need use capital letters. I understand the desire to emphasize, but sometimes less is more.

@NoGodAllGood – right there with you. I grew up Roman Catholic and I can't tell you how often I would see/hear people preach about the God's love and the evil of sin, just to turn around and treat others with pure contempt, disrepect, and hate when all eyes weren't on them. If there is a hell and I do go there, I'm convinced it's just a small room packed with "christians" and my punishment will be to deal with them forever.

March 2, 2011 at 2:09 pm |