home
RSS
Christian author's book sparks charges of heresy
Rob Bell is under fire for his latest book before it even hits the shelves.
March 1st, 2011

Christian author's book sparks charges of heresy

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Rob Bell, a pastor and author who has achieved rock star status in the Christian world, is preaching a false gospel, his critics say. And some of those critics are Christian rock stars in their own right.

The pastor of Mars Hill Bible Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Bell has authored a book called Love Wins: A Book About Heaven, Hell, and the Fate of Every Person Who Ever Lived, which ignited a firestorm of controversy over the weekend, weeks before it arrives in bookstores.

On Saturday, in a blog post on the popular Christian website The Gospel Coalition, Justin Taylor blasted Bell's new book, out March 29, for teaching "false doctrine":

I’m glad that Rob Bell has the integrity to be lay [sic] his cards on the table about universalism. It seems that this is not just optimism about the fate of those who haven’t heard the Good News, but (as it seems from below) full-blown hell-is-empty-everyone-gets-saved universalism.

Universalism, in its broadest terms, preaches that everyone goes to heaven and that there is no hell. Critics say it represents a break from traditional Christianity, which they say holds that heaven and hell are very real places. In most Christian circles, universalism is a dirty word.

Taylor's post was quickly tweeted by several prominent pastors, including John Piper and Mark Driscoll, connected to the Gospel Coalition, a coalition of theologically conservative evangelical churches, and a full-blown theological controversy was on. By Monday, Taylor's response post had racked up a quarter million hits.

Other bloggers, meanwhile, are calling Bell an outright heretic.

Bell is not the first prominent Christian pastor to be recently accused of wading into theologically troubled waters. Bishop Carlton Pearson, once a mentee of famed Pentecostal televangelist Oral Roberts, has been run out of two churches and branded a heretic for preaching what he says is a gospel of inclusion with broad universalist themes.

Last year, Brian McLaren – a popular Christian author and a former pastor - was accused of breaking with Christian orthodoxy and delving headlong into universalism in his book A New Kind of Christianity.

But it's rare that theological arguments become top ten trending topics on Twitter, as Rob Bell did on Saturday.

“To be honest, it was a pretty rough weekend,” Taylor said in a phone interview. The 34-year-old heads the editorial content for Crossway, a Christian publishing company in Wheaton, Illinois.  Taylor he says his blog expresses his personal opinion not the opinion of the coalition.

"We’re talking about the big things here, things that have been historically defined as orthodox, " he said. "I have a high degree of confidence in what God is saying and what we can understand."

Though many things that separate Catholics, Protestants, and Orthodox Christians, “this isn’t one of them," Taylor said. "We’ve historically agreed on many things, the person of Christ, heaven and hell. This isn’t a peripheral academic debate. What Rob Bell is talking about gets to the heart of Christianity.”

Taylor has not read Bell's forthcoming book in its entirety. His blog post was in response to the description released by Bell publisher HarperOne and a promotional video that features Bell.

"Rob Bell hasn’t sinned against me personally,” Taylor said, which is why he did not go to Bell before making his comments public. Instead, Taylor said, Bell's book represents a clear example of false teaching.

In the promotional video Bell refers to the nonviolent Indian independence leader Mahatma Gandhi, a Hindu, and asks, "Gandhi's in hell? He is?"

"And someone knows this for sure?" Bell continues. "Will billions and billions of people burn forever in hell? And if that's the case how do you become one of the few? "

The video follows a trend in Bell's career as a pastor: he has long asked tough theological questions and challenged traditional answers. The short promotional video raises lots of questions without offering definitive answers.

"What we believe about heaven and hell is incredibly important because it exposes what we believe about who God is and what God is like," Bell says in it. " The good news is that love wins."

Those lines raised eyebrows for Taylor and others. "It is not preaching the gospel as found in the New Testament," Taylor said. "The New Testament is pretty clear if someone preaches a false gospel… that we are to reject that and have nothing to do with them."

For all his hipster leanings - including black rimmed glasses - Bell has a traditional pedigree. He went to Wheaton College, the Harvard of Christian schools, and later graduated from Fuller Theological Seminary with a Master of Divinity.

But the Mars Hill Bible Church, which Bell founded, is not attached to any denomination. Were it attached to one - the Presbyterian or Catholic church, say - his book and video could raise eyebrows in the hierarchy and might lead to a church trial that could result in Bell's expulsion.

"A larger denomination would take his credentials and excommunicate him like they did to me,” Bishop Pearson told CNN.

By Sunday evening, Pearson was getting sent articles about the Bell flap. He said it reminded him of his days as a charismatic leader of a big church in the largest Pentecostal denomination. His questioning of hell from the pulpit led to his ouster.

"What happened to me is happening to Rob Bell," Pearson said. "If you denounce hell, it's like you are denouncing God. You’re going to be called a heretic."

“I thought my people loved me and would walk through the valley of the shadow of death with me, but they didn’t,” Pearson said.

Bell's church did not respond to requests for an interview. His Twitter feed has been silent since he posted about writing a piece for CNN's Belief Blog a few weeks ago. His publicist at HarperOne said he would not be doing publicity until his book hits shelves.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Evangelical • Faith Now • Leaders • Michigan • United States

soundoff (2,200 Responses)
  1. Korea stuff

Thanks so much for the wonderful feedback! I truly appreciate it.

February 7, 2014 at 8:40 am |
  2. Manoj

Harsh. If you want to find some more reliable blogs, check out Verum Serum, Chaos Manor & Vox Day. Verum is esaiceplly good: lots of original content, including videos. They've also managed to break some big stories.

October 10, 2012 at 12:42 am |
  3. Lakia

a March 15, 2011 I sometimes woednr if you chose the most loony people to write about. (For disclosure purposes, I wrote to you, but you never looked at my profile, much less even gave a thanks, but no thanks canned response.)I have no delusions of self-grandeur, but it seems like at worst, I would have been written up as a nice guy, no chemistry . Isn't that what most first dates are like (internet and otherwise)?

October 9, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
  4. Ntwanano

Mr. T. March 30, 2011 So let me ask you some general qeontiuss about Match.com. Let's say you wink or e-mail a woman. If she's not interested, fine, I can accept that. I think that the old iggy is hint enough for me. I frankly would rather a woman give me the iggy than the polite no thank you. I wonder how women feel about this very same thing when they send out winks or e-mails to men, or what other men think.

October 9, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
  5. Julius

Lee pure luck: I knew someone inlovved in the report.Annabella: How do you mean? whatever the reason, the new Government isn't so interested in Africa, or would you say it is, but in a different way? I'd be interested to hear.The last lot were idealistic, that's true. But idealism imperfectly achieved is preferable than cynical uninterest.

October 8, 2012 at 9:25 am |
  6. melany

redemptiontakinghold Posted on Dangski. This was powerful. And levloy. You have a really beautiful gift of storytelling, and an equally beautiful family surrounding you. Moves my li'l heart of hearts, that's for sure.

October 8, 2012 at 6:32 am |
  7. let me suggest considerably more details with regards to kitchen storage drawers

Its such as you learn my thoughts! You seem to grasp so much approximately this, like you wrote the e book in it or something. I believe that you simply can do with a few % to pressure the message home a bit, but other than that, this is fantastic blog. A great read. I'll definitely be back.

June 4, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
  8. Unique article content

I've been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts in this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this site. Studying this info So i'm happy to show that I have a very good uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. I such a lot indisputably will make certain to don?t forget this web site and provides it a glance regularly.

May 24, 2012 at 3:36 am |
  9. lailway

Thank you for another informative website. The place else could I am getting that kind of info written in such an ideal manner? I have a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I've been at the look out for such info.

May 14, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
  10. code de la route

It is truly a nice and helpful piece of info. I'm glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

May 13, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  11. Lynda Casey

I was so touched by this story.The writer is so real,open and honest in sharing his life story. I found this book on Amazon after watching the video addicted to crime on YouTube.

March 2, 2012 at 11:19 am |
  12. ttracen

My girlfriend had this best friend named Jennifer. They were friends since like 4th grade and now they both finished high-school. The girl Jennifer was a good girl. Pretty and smart. But her dad was a deadbeat and kicked her out at 18. She started dancing to support herself. Not naked but in a bikini or whatever. She met some rich guy that gave her whatever she wanted. She kept bragging how she wasn't even fukking this dude, but he was buying her everything. I warned her to be careful. Dude is gonna wanna fukk eventually. She was about 21 at the time. After about a month of playing this dude, my girl gets a call from detectives. The fukkin dude blew her brains out with a shotgun, then killed himself. My girl hasn't been the same since. So many weirdos. R.I.P. Jenn

That's her on the right with my girl on the left.

[IMG]http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1465/img0435bh.jpg[/IMG]

February 16, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
  13. artrokil

I like beer! [IMG]http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/4151/30285560.gif[/IMG]

February 14, 2012 at 12:16 am |
  14. Charles Dudrey

"Hell on Church Street"
    The Chuck Dudrey Transformation

The Powerful, dynamic, and heart pounding Drama!
    A True Story of a Transformed Life!

A fast pace, page turning Autobiography “Hell on Church Street” You will feel like your right there as violence and hell unfold in the life of a young boy, as he is nearly beaten to death. In the back of an ambulance he is rushed to the emergency room in the middle of the night. Barely clinging to life, he has suffered severe head trauma and now the hope for his life looks grim. As seen on CBN 700 Club!
    Months later His mother is shot to death in the kitchen of the family home! Years of horrific, abuse so awful that a lie detector test is administered. What it revealed was so ugly and hideous that the court records are ordered sealed! Many years’ later working as a Bounty Hunter and Strong Arm Collector something happens so big that his life is changed forever!
    Order “Hell on Church Street” now! $14.95
    Buy it now!
    http://www.amazon.com/Hell-Church-Street-Charles- Dudrey/dp/1603833625
    This Story was featured on National Television in June of 2010.
    Watch it now!

Please visit me on my web page

November 7, 2011 at 10:23 am |
  15. Ernest

All I can tell you guys is get an online copy of the book, "BOEREWORS TO BAKLAVA, GENTILE TO JERUSALEM", I've never read anything soooooooo honest.

We are playing games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (www.thebarefootheretic.com) Really funny aswell!

September 12, 2011 at 12:45 pm |