home
RSS
Supreme Court rules for anti-gay church over military funeral protests: complete coverage
Westboro Baptist Church leader Fred Phelps says God is punishing the United States for "the sin of homosexuality."
March 2nd, 2011

The Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that the anti-gay Westboro Baptist Church can protest at military funerals. Here's CNN's complete coverage of the decision and the church:

Wednesday's big news: Supreme Court rules for anti-gay church over military funeral protests

The man behind Westboro Baptist Church: 'Most-hated,' anti-gay preacher once fought for civil rights

Opinion: Why a hateful church should win at the Supreme Court

LIFE.com photos: Inside Westboro

Westboro Baptist Church in the news:

Arizona enacts funeral protest legislation

Protests planned for Elizabeth Edwards funeral fizzle

State's ban on military funeral protests ruled unconstitutional

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Courts • Westboro Bapitst Church

1. Daniel Haszard

Harassment by religious extremist

Jehovah's Witnesses instigated court decisions in 1942 which involved cursing a police officer calling him a fascist and to get in your face at the door steps,....this same JW 1942 court decision upheld infamous Phelps hate church in 2011
    Danny Haszard, More on this group

March 5, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
  2. JohnQuest

Justina, you said that "Humans are monsters if left alone and God knew that", in your opinion who or what created Humans?

March 4, 2011 at 9:21 am |
  3. Micheal'

To think that this group or any other would think that a military funeral is a place to make their political point is not only illogical, it is frankly disgusting. The familys and friends of these brave Americans are going through enough without dealing with some group using this sad occasion as a forum for their"message". You would like to think that people would have some measure of compassion and common sense. To echo an earlier comment , I would find it hard to restrain myself if confronted with a group of morons at a loved ones funeral.

March 4, 2011 at 3:13 am |
  4. walt

This White trash inbred hate family masquerading as a church does not just hate gays. These retards are also virulently anti-Semitic as well as anti main stream Christian. There is nothing excusable about their behavior and their destroying their children's future with their Nazi like brainwashing. They are getting way too much attention, like Charlie Sheen...

March 4, 2011 at 1:18 am |
  5. T-party

cw,mark from middle river and the rest of you religious folks do not try to separate yourselves from Westboro Baptist church. the church reads and believes in the bible. All religious folks need to support them. do not be cowardly. Be proud please your God...

March 3, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • Acdsasf

The bible is true. It says so in the bible.

September 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
  6. T-party

justina, when you and your husband are @ the brave soldiers funeral protesting next time here in Texas. Please come up and introduce yourself. I have special gift for you and your husband

March 3, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  7. T-party

no proof the bible quran or any other religious text has anything to do with God. all religious texts were written on earth by living men. none by a God.

March 3, 2011 at 9:46 pm |
  8. T-party

Justina you are a monster. you make me ill. Yes child molest-ers need to "CHANGE" castrate themselves or if they can not control themselves should end their lives....some sickness are terminal .....religious folks make me just as ill as child molest-ers

March 3, 2011 at 9:43 pm |
  9. T-party

I am agnostic. I am somewhat intelligent. I realize that I was born straight. I realize people are either born straight or g-ay. It is not a choice that I dated and married a woman. I was attracted to them. If it was a choice I would have been attracted to both but CHOSE women. period end of discussion..

March 3, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
    • Justina

T-party, if you were attracted to a child and insist you were born that way, you should and would be jailed. No excuses for sins. Gays should be just thankful they are allowed safety and be able to move around town.

March 3, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
    • Justina

Or men and women wanting multiple partners... Humans are monsters if left alone and God knew that.

March 3, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
    • evolvedDNA

T-party Justina is the evidence that god does not exist..if he/ she did we would hear a zap. Iam an atheist and you should be to.. do you want to be as delusional as some of these folks.. Faith is what you follow if you are scared of finding truth..good luck with your journey.. you are almost healed

March 4, 2011 at 12:21 am |
    • Justina

EvolvedDNA, what do you atheists have other than meaninglessness? Atheism doesn't deserve advertisement. People are discouraged enough any given day. Please don't harm yourself at the end of your insanity, not getting answers to life's questions. Remember the Creator God loves you and sent His Divine Savior Jesus for you. All you need is admitting your own evil stupidity and lay it out before God saying sorry to Him. You acted out as if you were the owner of your life though the fact is you owe your existence to the Creator God.

March 4, 2011 at 12:44 am |
  10. Mark from Middle River

CW: "I agree with you...on the verses...but have you considered this. In the Bible it tells us that if our brothers and sisters sin we are to encourage them to turn from there sins...doesn't that include Atheist's...Gay people..."

CW, That would then bring the argument of the scripture Mark 6:11

The problem is that John 5:24, with Mark 6:11 and John 8:7 sorta tells me two things, you can tell folks things that you interpret in the Scripture, let them choose to accept your intepretation or not. John tell me I can not really judge so much for others lest God will bring the "smack down" on me when I meet him face to face. Also John 5:24 tells me that it is not for me to decide such things. The scripture clearly says:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."

I have to look upon such as I can not know what the relationship another of God's children has with him. Its not not my place so how can I continue to smash over the head of someone when I do not know what they feel.

I used to be like you CW. I admit it, I used to have some of the same feelings that you have for Gays. In some ways I might still have those feelings. Two things changed my feelings. First had nothing to do with the Gay community. I saw these interviews with white guys and ladies that had once had massive hate in their hearts for all minorities. Then they said they met a few minorities and they changed. I believe folks can change CW.

The second is I got to visit a LGBT church in New York. I was uncomfortable, I admit but at the end of the service I could not find the lack of the love and desire for a relationship with God in Heaven. The spirit of the folks there were no different to when I go to my own church. I had to look upon myself and ask what does God want me to do. Am I to be his mighty hand on Earth and give out his punishments and scorn before folks even got to him. I took it as I am here to love the Lord and just try to live my life the best I can. I can not condemn someone who is Gay and say its a sin when I am sitting down to gobble up two medium Domino's pizzas.

CW, I will close with this. The book of proverbs list seven sins that the Lord hatest. Gluttony is in there, being gay is not. This is why its all down to interpretation, which does God hate the most? Some would say all but when they mentioned Gula, I know I have more things to worry about than if someone else, is gay or not.

Try this youtube video CW. Might help 🙂
    [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iSf8wxEttk&w=640&h=360]

March 3, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
  11. Horrified by WBC

It's not only military funerals that they protest at, they spread their violent hate wherever they can. This is a statement from them regarding the recent Tuscon massacre shootings: (It's horrid, but must be seen to be believed)

“THANK GOD FOR THE SHOOTER” – 6 DEAD! WBC WILL PICKET THEIR FUNERALS.

The 9-year-old girl was born 9/11/01! “Hear ye the rod, and who hath appointed it,” Mic. 6:9. God mercifully gave this nation a fair warning on 9/11 – but you despise His mercies, so you get no more mercy – man, woman or child. That’s how God the Avenger rolls!

That child was not innocent. This is a nation of depraved perverts who pass their children through the fire of their rage against God & all-consuming lust. From the womb, she was taught to hate God & mock His servants. That child is better off dead, so the cup of her iniquity will not overflow! Rep. Giffords passed laws trying to keep WBC watchers off the street corners. In repayment, God sent the shooter when she took to a street corner! The blood of the 9-year-old is on Rep. Giffords’ hands! This nation rejoiced & your officials were ho-hum when a violent veteran stalked 5 WBC picketers with 90 rounds of ammunition. In repayment, God sent the shooter with 90 rounds of ammunition & killed your federal judge, your child, & others. Now let’s see if you’re so ho-hum in the face of God’s wrath! The blood of these six dead is on your hands rebellious doomed-america! God’s judgments are so righteous & marvelous in our sight!

THANK GOD FOR HIS RIGHTEOUS JUDGMENTS!"

I cringe to post their filthy stuff (and this is only one of their innumerable rants), but everyone needs to see what this group is about. Please be careful about where your beliefs can lead you.

March 3, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  12. sadie

Wow, picketing a funeral is foul and loathsome but picketing the funeral of soldiers and a young girl makes me so sick.
    I am a Christian and I do not support this action. I have loved ones fighting these wars and if one (God forbid) paid that price for our freedom and someone picketed their funeral God would be the only one who could hold me back.
    I don't even understand their logic. From what I read none of these soldiers where even g-ay. I think they have a few screws loose.
    May God help them back onto the path of righteousness. We as Christians should be praying for the victims and these people as well. They need God badly.
    God bless.

March 3, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  13. Reality

But we can make life very miserable for said speakers by sit-ins/walk-arounds by their misguided church, hosing them down as firemen conduct fire drills in areas where these "speakers" spout their "stupidities", insti-tute a tax on all "houses of worthless worship" and sue them for false advertising of beliefs that are simply con games.––///////

March 3, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  14. Robert

If someone has established a fund to help Mr. Snyder with his legal bills, please provide that info.

March 3, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  15. Dan Givens

Why is this first amendment issue getting so much press attention? True, these horrible people have the right to their hateful speech. You would think that the Julian Heicklen case in Florida where a judge is suppressin­g the first amendment rights to what is clearly political speech might be of some interest to the main stream media. (http://www­.nytimes.c­om/2011/02­/26/nyregi­on/26jury.­html?_r=1&­partner=rs­s&emc=rss)
    Apparently the hypocrisy of the main stream media knows no bounds.

March 3, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  16. Daniel Haszard

Jehovah's Witnesses pursued court decisions to get in your face at the door steps,these same actions uphold rights of infamous hate church.
    Danny Haszard http://www.dannyhaszard.com
    my page more on Jehovah's Witnesses harassment

March 3, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  17. Paul Bishop

This is so unfortunate. I disagree with this ruling. I know it's a slippery slope argument, but there is no way the freedom to protest would be curtailed by banning funeral protests. It is in poor taste to do any protest at any funeral.

March 3, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  18. gretchen

fr cw:

> In the Bible it tells us that if our brothers and sisters sin we are to encourage them to turn from there sins...<

It ALSO says to "Love thy neighbor as thyself", and "Judge not, lest YE be judged". I suggest that you look at those verses FIRST.

March 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  19. GSA

@CW – so what is your thought on other religions? I am a Sikh and was taught to respect all individuals and all of God's creatures, this includes g-ays/le-sbians as well because they are ppl. There are certain primates that engage in ho-mose-xual behaviour as well. Many Sikhs would disagree with me because they have twisted/distorted the writings of the Gurus for their own purpose and this has happened with all religions but in our holy book, the Guru Granth Sahib it says nothing about g-ays but it does say to respect all. I'm guessing the easy answer for you would be to say the bible is right and I am on the wrong path?
    Also try reading other holy books, many do not have "errors" or "lies" (call them what you will) but the bible clearly does but that seems to be overlooked because most who read the bible have not read any other holy books or taken the time to really question their faith at all but follow blindly as they have been told to. Remember I said many not all but the many I speak of seem to speak loudly and tend to push others into having laws/rules that follow their religion instead of what's really pure and good for mankind.

March 3, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  20. Mark from Middle River

CW- My brother, be very careful. I can't say this to the atheist but as Christians I feel we have to be careful not to cross a few scripture.

John 8:7

Matthew 7:1

Romans 2:1

March 3, 2011 at 10:45 am |
    • CW

@ Mark,

I agree with you...on the verses...but have you considered this. In the Bible it tells us that if our brothers and sisters sin we are to encourage them to turn from there sins...doesn't that include Atheist's...G-'ay people...Isn't all of mankind to be considered our brothers and sisters? I realize maybe my scrawlings as some call it can be taken out of context but my intentions are clear....Choose to change and put God first and you can't go wrong.

March 3, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • Don

As there's no such thing as sin, CW, I have never sinned.

March 3, 2011 at 4:39 pm |