home
RSS
March 3rd, 2011

Rabbi gives update on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords

From CNN affiliate KHOU

For Gabrielle Giffords, home is now in Houston, which is more than a thousand miles from Tucson, but faith is never far, it’s always in her heart, said a Houston rabbi.

“Gabby is a spiritual person. She welcomes the opportunity to hear and to receive prayers and feel comforted by them,” said Rabbi David Lyon of Congregation Beth Israel in southwest Houston.

Lyon, who is a longtime friend of the Jewish congresswoman’s Rabbi Stephanie Aaron, in Tucson, meets with Giffords about three days a week at The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research in the Texas Medical Center.

Read the full story about Giffords' visits from a rabbi on KHOU.com
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Judaism

1. Terri

I have one wish...acceptance that if we all had the same belief's we would get so bored with one another, that life wouldn't be worth living! Live and let live...do not criticize what you don't understand and don't criticize someone for not having the same belief's you do. I mean really, we fought for this freedom, then criticize it....how barbarian!

March 14, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  2. Sarah

People, why do you feel the need to question other people's faith? Tell you what. I believe what I believe and you believe what you believe. I'll follow my faith and my heart and not question yours. You have no right to attack someone's faith. God is forgiving and loving, and all of you claim to believe in God. So be loving and treat others as you would like to be treated. With tolerance and understanding. Quit attacking people's faith!

March 7, 2011 at 10:22 am |
  3. Larry

I hope the Tea Party can stay afloat. Having a third party allows more people a voice. Do I agree with the Party. Rarely, but iI sure love their spunk and viewpoints that mix up our politics in a healthy constructive way.

March 5, 2011 at 10:29 am |
    • T-party

@ Larry T-party in my area stands for freedom.very low taxes,no unions,high trade tariffs on imports,closing our boarder,job creation through private sector by government shrinkage.

March 5, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • Big Bill

Ah, the Tea Party! I do love the Tea Party.

"I am not a witch. I'm you"

"People are really looking toward those Second Amendment remedies"

"People ask me, 'What are you going to do to develop jobs in your state?' Well, that's not my job as a U.S. senator."

"The exact phrase 'separation of Church and State' came out of Adolph Hitler's mouth, that's where it comes from. So the next time your liberal friends talk about the separation of Church and State, ask them why they’re Nazis.”

"American scientific companies are cross-breeding humans and animals and coming up with mice with fully functioning human brains."

"I've always been fascinated by the fact that here was a relatively small country (Nazi Germany) that from a strictly military point of view accomplished incredible things."

"The first thing that has to be done is secure the border ... East Germany was very, very able to reduce the flow. Now, obviously, other things were involved. We have the capacity to, as a great nation, secure the border. If East Germany could, we could."

"We needed to have the press be our friend ... We wanted them to ask the questions we want to answer so that they report the news the way we want it to be reported."

"These (prisons) are beautiful properties with basketball courts, bathroom facilities, toilet facilities. Many young people would love to get the hell out of cities."

"It sounds funny, but you need to be paying more for your health care."

And I did not even have to quote Palin or the birthers or many others – the list would become too long!

March 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  4. Cav

Personally, T-Party, I think she goes where everyone goes: into the arms of an infinitely loving God whose compassion and love are far beyond our understanding.

March 5, 2011 at 5:47 am |
    • T-party

@ Cav great answer ....I agree

March 5, 2011 at 11:24 am |
  5. nugzin2040

Lee Strobel is a hack that should turn in his journalism card.

March 5, 2011 at 4:03 am |
  6. Jason D

@Justina – excellent job Justina for standing up for what you believe! May God Bless you & yours! @ all the nay-sayers here, the Bible is God-breathed written word. Don't take my word for it, read "The Case for Faith" by Lee Strobel & research it all yourself, he set out to prove God does not exist & ended up converting HIMSELF to Christianity!! This guy got proof after proof after proof...solid, cold hard facts, not fables you & I can toss back & forth all night long.

March 4, 2011 at 11:47 pm |
    • evolvedDNA

jasonD.. wow,, can you post some of those proofs here for us, and also where they were peer reviewed. I think that your proofs will turn out to be opinions.. like this one... but if you post we can have the proof to test. One question I have, and i imagine other atheists have, is where did god come from, and who made them etc.. you know...looking forward to finally getting the answers..

March 5, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
    • evolvedDNA

Jason D see.. The Case Against Faith: A Critical Look at Lee Strobel's The Case for Faith (4th ed., 2006)... I think you find the reasons for the lack of real evidence.

March 5, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  7. Sean

@Justina,

You are something else. "All my educated Christian friends answer the same because that's what the Bible says."

I'd ask you if you had any non-Christian friends, but I know you'd lie and say you do. Also, I have several educated Christian friends who freely admit the bible is just a book written by men, and it's not the "true" word of God (assuming there is one, which there isn't). And what's the point of the old testament at all if Jesus gets to say "oh, you can just ignore all the laws set forth in it because I said so."?

March 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> who freely admit the bible is just a book written by men, and it's not the "true" word of God

Yep, even casual fact checking on the bible will reveal holes. Either God didn't write it, or God is a failure. 😛

March 4, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  8. Trelles

T-Party, it doesnt matter what these xians and muslims think.

March 4, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Bill

Whoa dude! Your bigotry is showing!

March 10, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  9. Trelles

Justina I know its scary to think about but when you die there is no where to go there is no heaven and no hell. Once you get over your religious affliction you can start enjoying life and treating EVERYONE as equals.

March 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Justina

@Trelles: Jesus is my life and equality is strictly and exclusively Judeo-Christian value. Jesus promised immediate Paradise for those who trust Him; I trust Him rather than you. Mankind did not know humans were equal before God. All your virtues(if you have any) you think you got from nowhere are exclusively from the Bible. Atheism taught you nothing except for meaninglessness.

March 4, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  10. Justina

James, Christians love and care for the Jews deeply.
    Nugzin, Explaining things from the Biblical perspective is not self-worship. It's up to you to believe or not. If you feel guilty, that's because you are an un-redeemed sinner. Can't atheists do something else other than bashing the existing noble religion? What do you believe that's worth? Nothing.

March 4, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  11. nugzin2040

justina; it sounds like you're trying to guilt people into believing what you believe. Way to go self worship!

March 4, 2011 at 1:28 am |
  12. James

Again I just go to CNN to read the comments whenever Jews are brought up. You get the random Christians yammering on about how Christianity is right and Jews are wrong, straight up anti-semitism, weird rantings, and all around amusing stuff.

March 4, 2011 at 12:31 am |
  13. T-party

Justina B.T.W. thanks for the reply's I have ask this same question to muslims,baptists,catholics,pentacosatals and a host of other religious folks and I have not gotten the same answer twice.

March 3, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Justina

March 4, 2011 at 12:16 am |
    • The Bobinator

> T-party, really? All my educated Christian friends answer the same because that's what the Bible says.

I'm sorry, that's not the correct answer. The correct answer is "All my educated Christian friends answer the same way because that's what makes sense."

The educated approach is to take the position that you're not going to believe in anything until you're shown evidence that proves it.

The bible has been proven to be wrong and proven to have been altered to make Jesus seem more then he is. How can you take something that has been shown to be wrong simply on faith?

March 4, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  14. T-party

Justina Its not that I choose to not believe, Its that I have no idea . The bible is not a manual from God. It was written by men over 2 thousand years ago. I have been to churches since a baby. My parents are devout methodists. I am not atheist. I just cant act like I believe something as truth when I have no proof.

March 3, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
    • evolvedDNA

T-party.. you are almost healed.. not be lead a stray by the myth mongers.. you are correct there is no evidence, so you have to think . is evidence the way to the real truth of life or Faith. you may need to read some good books to help you.. Richard Dawkins The God Delusion is good one, and also " Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne. Life is so fantasic and far more interesing than "god did it" Did you know the iron in your blood came from the supernovae of stars that died eons ago.. so a sun died to give us life so to speak, except we spell it differently.. check it out and good luck.

March 4, 2011 at 12:06 am |
    • SR in S. Carolina

Tparty, I ask this kindly – what would be sufficient proof for you? Have you decided what would enough evidence? If not, how will you know when there is/isn't enough 'proof' ?

March 4, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
  15. T-party

Hope she has full recover. I am agnostic but I wonder where devout "christians" and "muslims" believe the soul of this fine jewish lady will spend eternity once she finally passes away one year?

March 3, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Justina

The people of Israel, all Jews, will come to believe that Jesus of Nazareth indeed has been the long-awaited divine Messiah of theirs in the endtime. The Jews will be saved.

March 3, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
    • Justina

T-party, your sin is no joke. Choosing to believe "truth is unknowable" will never excuse you from your eternal sin penalty. Stop worrying about Jews because they will be all right. Concern about your soul, read the Bible and be saved by believing in Jesus. You know how much God did for you. Go to a Christ-centered, Bible-preaching church.

March 3, 2011 at 9:30 pm |
    • Befairandjust

Justina, care to weigh in on the recent scientific finding that there was bacterial life present in meteors from other planets, indicating that life was sent to Earth from other planets? Did Jesus influence those bacteria?

March 7, 2011 at 7:44 am |