home
RSS
March 6th, 2011

Celibacy and the priesthood

CNN's Becky Anderson talks with Father Alberto Cutie, an American priest who was at the center of a celibacy scandal.  Anderson asked Cutie if he would have announced his affair if he had not been caught by the paparazzi cannonading on a beach with a woman.  At the time he was a prominent Catholic priest in Miami, Florida.  Today Cutie is a priest in an Episcopal church.

Cutie was CNN-I's connector of the day.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Catholic Church • Christianity • Church • Episcopal • Florida • Mass • TV • United States

1. foooofoooo

I'm a 14 years old .. And i haven't done anything with my life! Nothing that i could remember forever or something stupid .. I have no friends.. Never had a bf ..I hate my body, i have talents that has no use for me in this world, i'm in love with a guy that i'm pretty sure doesn't even love/like or even look at me,I'm not good at taking school tests.. I just don't get it .. I'm 57 kg and 1.54 cm tall .. I have breasts,you can little see small waist ,but i have no butt which looks so weird because i have huge thighs that can't fit into jeans and it look so disgusting i feel so disgusting i mean if i had something at least little thing behind i would be happy but no .. there is nothing it's all flat ! Whenever i go up in Weight the fat goes to my thighs and nowhere else .. just thighs not butt ! I know it's not the worlds first problemm but i just feel so sad because of all these things going into my life and getting oout .. I just feel so alone and so ugly ..

January 22, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
  2. Geri

wisdom the our Lord bestows upon us wisdom THAT* the Lord bestows upon us

March 12, 2011 at 11:40 am |
  3. John Medford

LOL, Thanks Truth. I apprecaite your response. There are some credible sites, I will try and post them to you when I have time.

Thanks CatholicMom.

March 10, 2011 at 7:07 am |
    • Geri

I guess CatholicMom was satisfied with my post back, since I see no response. I know these blogs are hard to follow anymore, they are taken down as new news items become avallable.
      May we all learn from each other of wisdom the our Lord bestows upon us. God loves each and every soul, and wills none to be lost.
      I appreciate our echange, just the same. May the grace of God be with you all!

March 12, 2011 at 11:38 am |
    • CatholicMom

Yes, Geri, I just now saw your reply. I don't feel a need to go over the same things we already discussed. I am sure we will meet up again!

March 12, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
  4. Geri

@CatholicMom LAST PART of original post

CM Said:

"Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and not do what I tell you? Every one who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep, and laid the foundation upon rock; and when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house, and could not shake it, because it had been well built. But he who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation; against which the stream broke, and immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great."
    Luke 6:46-49

****GERI Those who follow the mult-itude to do evil, follow in the broad way that leads to destruction. The tree is known by its fruits; may the word of Christ be so grafted in our hearts, that we may be fruitful in every good word and work. And what the mouth commonly speaks, generally agrees with what is most in the heart. Those only make sure work for their souls and eternity, and take the course that will profit in a trying time, who think, speak, and act according to the words of Christ. Those who take pains in religion, found their hope upon Christ, who is the Rock of Ages, and other foundation can no man lay. In death and judgment they are safe, being kept by the power of Christ through faith unto salvation, and they shall never perish.

This is speaking of those that do not know the Lord as personal savior.

CM said:

Maybe you are not hearing the Word by someone Sent....

'Where did I hear that ‘once saved, always saved’ was a man-made idea?'; it is no secret....
    It was Martin Luther who "invented" the false doctrine of "Once saved, always saved", when in Romans 3:28 he added the word "alone" to his German translation of Holy Scripture. That verse then read, "...a man is justified by faith alone". This action on his part was an embarras-sment to the other reformers, and so you will not find that little word "alone" in Romans 3:28 in the King James or any other Protestant Bible except for Luther's. Here is one quote from Martin Luther regarding "Once saved always saved", "Be a sinner and sin boldly, but believe and rejoice in Christ even more boldly... No sin will separate us from the Lamb, even though we commit fornication and murder a thousand times a day."
    Martin Luther, letter to Melanchthon, August 1, 1521

Man will lead you down the wrong path.
    Matthew 23:12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled: and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

GERI******** Maybe you are not hearing the Word by someone Sent....
    I am hearing the word of the Lord, my savior, Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit was sent by him, to dwell in me, as I was saved. How else could we as Christians spread the good news of the Gospel?

CM SAID:
    Martin Luther, letter to Melanchthon, August 1, 1521

GERI******* I believe what I believe, from the word of God. I do not put my trust in mans words.
    I have fully explained in all the comments i made above, why I believe as I do.
    Why would anybody murder a 1000 times a day, or commit fornication? I would have to question wehther that person was truly saved, wouldn't you? No one who is TRULY saved, is gone to recklessly do that kind of thing.
    It is a good and loving God, that made sure we had the wholeness of his word, so these little left out words, did not take away from the total picture.
    I don't follow Martin Luther, but thanks for the update. I think though he was probably making that an analogy as to the amount of sins committed by many people. Nothing else makes sense.

Here is another verse I love
    For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body-whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free-and have all been made to drink into one Spirit. I Corinthians 12;13

See also The body of Christ 1Coriinthians 12:12-31

May the grace of the Lord be with you!

March 10, 2011 at 6:47 am |
  5. Geri

@CatholicMom

CM said:
    Can we presume that we are amongst the elect if it is possible for us to, of our own free will, deviate from obedience? We can have a lively as-surance in our hope of justification and salvation but we should not pretend to an absolute as-surance. Why are we to be judged upon our death if we are already saying that we judge ourselves saved and there is no chance of being condemned? Are there two lanes going through the pearly gates….one lane for those to be judged and one for those who will not be judged?

GERI***** We have Jesus perfect word, that we are saved, and therefore, not by as-sumption. Therefore, we do not judge ourselves, but by every word Jesus spoke regarding our salvation in him.

GERI**** No, There is one lane going thru the pearly gates. All will stand before him. At that time, he will separate the Believers from the unblelievers.

Believers have already been judged:
    "To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen" (Revelation 1:5,6). This is the Christians' confession about their Lord Jesus Christ: "When He had by Himself purged our sins, [He] sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high" (Hebrews 1:3).
    That verse clearly says God purged our sins. We who are clean by having our sins washed in his blood. What will be judged, is our works. They will pass thru the fire, as wheat and chaff. What survives of our works, will be rewarded, while the rest will be burned up. But,no, we are not judged, as we were already judged, and found innocent by the blood of Christ.
    Now, I can give you the verses, precise, should you desire to back that up. Not cherry picked either.

We are told the unbelievers have already been judged, and God will send them into eternal fire.

CM said:
    GERI**** I agree> Are we not to work out our salvation with fear and trembling? [Phil. 2:12]

GERI******* I AGREE Lord would commend a saved man, for it is by his grace, not ours.. "For it is not the man who commends himself that is accepted, but the man whom the Lord commends."2Corinthians 10:18

GERI**** AGREE Jesus said that we are to hear His Word and obey.

He was SENT by the Father with Authority…this is how He sent out the Apostles, with His authority. We who hear the Word must hear it from someone who has been Sent. Those who send themselves or use private interpretation of the Bible go against what the Bible says we should do.

GERI*** The bible says this:
    "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sw-ord, it pen-etrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joi-nts and marrow; it judges the thoughts and at-t-itudes of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)

God has spoken to man, and the Bible is His Word, given to us to make us wise unto salvation."

The Bible itself declares, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" (John 1:1). In another place, we read: "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." (2 Timothy 3:16).

The bible is Gods word, and it is given to us, him being the direct source. God also speaks to us in prayer.
    So, when you say it comes thru one who is sent, you are right.
    God sent his Holy Spirit to each believer, to comfort, lead, guide, instruct, etc. Therefore there is no private interpetation, as the Holy Spirt leads us. He dwells within us.

Besides, private interpetation, even the apostles said that the bible was inspired by the Holy Spirit, and not by any personal interpetation.

March 10, 2011 at 6:40 am |
  6. Geri

Next Part: @CatholicMom

CM
    ***1 Peter 1:5 ‘are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time’. (he will never leave us)

If you read the whole chapter you see that we are ‘ being saved as OBEDIENT children living in the HOPE which is a gift from God and we must persevere to the end in this hope.

****GERI Agreed! Goes without saying

CM:
    ***Romans 8:35 ‘Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
    ***38 ‘For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
    ***39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Have the elect been named here on earth so that we can say that we know the secrets of God’s elect and have seen our name in the Book of Life? Explain then: Ex 32:33: "The Lord answered, 'Him only who has sinned against Me will I strike out of My book”.

GERI***** OK, Answer is yes. Once we are saved, and cleansed by the atoning blood of Jesus Christ, our names wre written in the Lambs Book of Life. Why? Because he said so himself, and thats good enough for me. I know my name is there. I base that on all the Lords promises and his holy word to me. I believe it by faith, because he said so.

Next, you said, Explain Ex 32:33 "The Lord answered, 'Him only who has sinned against Me will I strike out of My book”.
    I will explain

GERI*** That was talking about the the Jews that had fallen under the heavy wrath of God because they have forsaken the Lord, and had followed idols.
    If you search out Clarks commentary on te bible, it explains this in more detail. http://www.studylight.org/com/acc/view.cgi?book=ex&chapter=032
    It tells us that:
    It is probable that one part of Moses' work during the forty days of his residence on the mount with God, was his regulating the muster-roll of all the tribes and families of Israel, in reference to the parts they were respectively to act in the different transactions in the wilderness, promised land, and this, being done under the immediate direction of God, is termed God's book which he had written, (such muster-rolls, or registers, called also genealogies, the Jews have had from the remotest period of their history;) and it is probable that God had told him, that those who should break the covenant which he had then made with them should be blotted out of that list, and never enter into the promised land.
    All this Moses appears to have particularly in view, and, without entering into any detail, immediately comes to the point which he knew was fixed when this list or muster-roll was made, namely, that those who should break the covenant should be blotted out, and never have any inheritance in the promised land: therefore he says, This people have sinned a great sin, and have made them gods of gold; thus they had broken the covenant, (see the first and second commandments,) and by this had forfeited their right to Canaan
    . Yet now, he adds, if thou wilt forgive their sin, that they may yet attain the promised inheritance-; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written-if thou wilt blot out their names from this register, and never suffer them to enter Canaan, blot me out also; for I cannot bear the thought of enjoying that blessedness, while my people and their posterity shall be for ever excluded. And God, in kindness to Moses, spared him the mortification of going into Canaan without taking the people with him.

March 10, 2011 at 6:34 am |
  7. Geri

@CatholicMom I will have tp post the responses from me to your posts, in parts. Having copied what you posted, and then my own answers, made it quite long. Its easier for me to try and proof read for the "naughty" words, too.lol.

Here I will start:

I will post, and star under it for my response.

You said:
    CatholicMom

Geri,

Why do you still keep the Ten Commandments as you say you do? Are you sure you do? What if you don’t? And really, if you are saved how do you know you remain so? Isn’t it true that you know you should keep the Ten Commandments because they were never abolished? Isn’t it true, that you can lose your salvation?
    ********************COMMENT FROM GERI BELOW************

First, The 10 Commandments have always prevailed, and should always be obeyed. Being a saved Christian, being a baptised Christian, by immersion, and having the Holy Spirit dwelling in me, yes, I do keep the 10 Commandments.
    It is my desire to obey them. I may, being human, unintentionally break one, or mayby even a few, but I immediately ask forgiveness for my sin. Then I strive not to repeat. No one is perfect, and we all break the commandments.
    The Lord said, if we broke one, we are guilty of breaking them all. I think he was teaching that we should not judge (as in my sin was telling a lie, but you committed adultery! So, my sin is smaller and yours is greater, as an example) Sin is sin, they do not have ti'-tles.
    The only sin the Lord said was unforgiveable, was blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

If I am saved, How do I know I am saved? Because by the grace of God, who saved me, he said I was. Thats enough for me.

Isn't it true you can lose your salvation? Absolutely not. Jesus Christ AS=SURED us that he would never leave us, and that no one could ever sna-tch us away from him, as the Father led us to him. He does not lie.

Now, if you asked me if one could turn his back on Jesus, and throw his wonderful sacrifice back in his face, then I would think yes. But that would be a willfull act on behalf of that person, and in my own opinion, who would want to do such a crazy thing?
    True Christians have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them. So, for one truly saved to do that, would be in my way of thinking, blasphemy.

Next....CM said:
    Again, no man can pluck you from the hand of God but you can walk away on your own…Matthew 19:16-17 ‘And behold one came and said to him: Good master, what good shall I do that I may have life everlasting? Who said to him: Why asketh thou me concerning good? One is good, God. But if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.’ Do you see how you can walk away on your own? Just ignore the Commandments.

GERII ********Exactly. I think I covered that above. One who is following the Lord, Saved, Baptised, Filled with the Holy Spirit, I doubt would hardly ignore the 10 Commandments...less they be as I said above.

March 10, 2011 at 6:31 am |
  8. Geri

Thanks Justina! These blogs are hard to follow anymore. I have completely lost tract of some of my posts under other threads on here.

March 10, 2011 at 6:26 am |
  9. Geri

Wow! what happened to all the other posts? I only see a couple by Justina? And, just 1 page for this thread???

March 9, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
    • Justina

Geri, I know how you feel. Go to the previous page under your post.

March 10, 2011 at 4:30 am |
  10. Geri

@CatholicMom My post moderated. I am gone to proof it tomorrow morning and try to post it back.It is after 11 pm, and I am to tired to do it tonight.

March 9, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  11. Justina

The beauty of Catholic saints is forever... because they followed the Lord Jesus so faithfully. And it's what all of us Christians strive after, celibate or married. We will only discover more of them in Heaven – those whose beauty not revealed to us in this side of the world.

March 9, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
  12. Justina

The celibate Catholic servants of God love the Jesus Lord high above over all things in this entire universe. People with truly special calling. I only hope all of them will read and study the entire Bible regularly.

March 9, 2011 at 11:24 pm |