home
RSS
March 16th, 2011

Teen creator of 'Note to God' app in coma

Friends of a California student who created the Note to God iPhone app are asking others to pray for him. KXTV reports.

"We ask everyone for prayers, because Allen really needs them right now," Wright's God-aunt, Debbie Lee, said. "To see him lying in a hospital bed, with a respirator, in a coma, it's just wrong."

Josh Hart, who is the brother-in-law of 18-year-old Allen Wright, said the teen had left a friend's house a little after midnight to walk home. His cousin was to meet him halfway.

Read the full story from KXTV
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief

1. Joseph

Alright, so now we know God doesn't like being mentioned in apps.

March 16, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
  2. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I love reading CW's posts, attempting to shout down those who question the existence of a God who would allow a child to suffer.

It's pretty damn funny when the only response such dolts can muster is "God works in mysterious ways" or something or other from the book of Job. The reality is that a merciful, omnipotent God would never cause such suffering to people he loved. And a God who is impotent to prevent such terrible illnesses and catastrophes is hardly worthy of awe.

March 16, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Rick. Warren

God is calling this kid home, prayers are a waste because everything is pre destined, god planned your life so what are prayers going to do change anything.

March 16, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  4. amomandalsoatheist

I'm an atheist AND a mother, but no god is required to know this is sad. I HOPE for his speedy recovery but am smart enough to realize that won't do much of anything. What I think would help most would be instead of a PRAYER for young Allen, maybe you praying types could each send $10 to help his family with medical bills. I'm sure that is a much more logical action then the muttering of powerless wish-words to a god, that by your own admission, had to have either directly caused this, or allowed it to happen. Praying is cheap and easy. To effectively help, you need to actually HELP, not chant.

March 16, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  5. Chad

I would simply like to express my surprise to all the people on here for going a bit off course, a young man trying to do good for his community is in a coma and all you want to do is debate God. I understand the atheist and the Christians desire to defend their beliefs but I believe we can find a better platform for that. I am a Christian and do not hate or dismiss anyone else's beliefs I am also friends with Muslims, Mormons, Jews, and even atheists. I have nothing but love for people and understanding, judgment is not my responsibility.

March 16, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • GW

Finally, What a true Believer in Christ should say. The two most important commandments Christ revealed in Mark were 1. Love God the Father with all your being, and 2. Love your neighbor as you love yourself. So no matter what a person believes or does, we are commanded by Christ to love them. Your right Chad, its not our place to judge, The will be Lord's job.

March 16, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
    • Dan

Chad – you sound like a nice person. Though did you see the veiled threat in GW's post below yours? That's the kind of ridiculous threatening BS we athiests dislike. It's very arrogant, threatening and judgemental. Frankly it makes us sick.

And....who cares what forum we discuss this on? It's not like this is a private board for the kid or his family....It's just a news story and this is a relevant discussion related to the story....I don't think it matters one bit.

April 3, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  6. kerry

I don't think he was "smited" by God. If anything, God wanted to talk to him face to face.

March 16, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
    • Magic

kerry,

This is the best conversation opener that a being with an infinite IQ can come up with?

March 16, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
    • NL

Smack the boy in order to do what... get his attention? Does God have the social awkwardness of a young girl?

March 17, 2011 at 12:03 am |
  7. QS

So reading the "full story" it says this kid was planning on joining the marines after graduation.

Luckily, "god" stepped in and saved him from having to go out and kill people by having him hit by a car instead. Probably won't be able to enlist now due to the injuries he has suffered from.

Imagine how many texts to god he'd have had to send to ask for forgiveness for killing another human being....think he even considered that when he had the idea for the app – "hmmm, I want to create an app for praying to god, but I'd also eventually like to join the military and go kill people...wonder which of those god has "planned" for me?"

Or is it just possible that the whole "thou shalt not kill" thing can be conveniently overlooked by Christians as long as they're either killing in the name of their country or their god? Christians can kill in the name of their country breaking that particular commandment, but because all they have to do is genuinely repent and ask to be forgiven, it may as well not even exist.

I mean, if it's that easy for even Christians to justify breaking their own "written in stone" values, how do they expect others who believe differently to take them seriously about anything they say?

Honor thy mother and father? What if your mother and father happen to be sick, twisted people who abuse and torture you? Should you still honor them?

March 16, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
    • Dan

Well said, QS. People follow what parts of religion they feel like following. Whatever's convenient or fits their argument that day. There's absolutely no sense to it whatsoever.

April 3, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  8. OOPS!

"Dear God,please don't let me get hit by a ......"

March 16, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  9. Reality

If prayer worked no one would ever get sick, die or get hurt in a car accident. Such is not the case and prayer therefore is a waste of time.

So put down your rosaries and prayer beads and stop worshiping/revering cows and bowing to Mecca five times a day. Instead work hard at your job, take care of aging parents, volunteer at a soup kitchen, donate to charities and the poor and continue to follow the Commandments of your religion or any good rules of living as gracious and good human beings.

March 16, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
  10. Godless

Why pray for him? If god really has a plan and meant for this kid to go into a coma, then it stands to reason that if people prayed for him to get out of the coma and god obliged, then god's plan isn't a very good one if it can be altered so easily. Or god is very open to suggestion, which would mean he isn't all powerful and all knowing. If prayer actually worked, it really kinda makes god look like a second guessing, weak-willed being.

March 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Luke

Silly, logic doesn't work on these people. Shame, isn't it?

March 16, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • Godless

That said, I hope the kid has a speedy and full recovery. I just won't be praying for it.

March 16, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  11. Doc Vestibule

Boy does "God's work".
    God smites boy.
    The Lord works in mysterious ways.

March 16, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Luke

My take.

A boy does god's work
      Boy gets hit by car, big ouch!
      Big random events!

Hey, was that a haiku?

March 16, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Luke
      You win today's prize for Most Artistic Atheism!
      You've inspired me to write a sinful sonnet.

March 16, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • Luke

Doc Vestibule

Perhaps I will take a shot at a laughable limerick

March 16, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • Luke

How about a laughable limerick?

March 16, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • CW

@ Doc,

There "it" is....another person making and poking fun.....you feel better?

Seems to me a lot of these posts are wrong...what if it were your child? Would you like someone poking fun?...didn't think so.

March 16, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@CW: You wouldn't per chance live in Nantucket, would you?

March 16, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Luke

CW

No one is poking fun, CW. Nothing up here is making fun of the kid. You are making false equivocations that anything that doesn't say something about the Christian Lord taking care of him as demeaning. It's nonsense, CW. Get over yourself asking difficult questions about Christianity is not persecution.

March 16, 2011 at 4:29 pm |

'Accidents' happen, but I doubt any actual human being would drive away after noticeably hitting someone/something with their car. Besides that, it doesn't say anywhere in the Bible or any other religious text "Get drunk and drive around in your car being an idiot", does it?

March 16, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
    • NL

Doc-
      It just floors me how much trust believers give to a being whose motives, they are convinced, are completely unknowable!

March 16, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
  12. PeterVN

CW, please go somewhere else yourself, and take your vile, hateful religion with you.

March 16, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  13. CW

Well

I see all the non believing folks are here....yes including the Atheist's. By the way I find it very telling. Why comment on this story? Isn't there some Atheist or non believer website where all of you can congregate and debate your "theories of the day" or whatever "science" you want?

@ Luke and SeanNJ,

Let me rephrase your little rants

Luke you first: "Hey CW – I ama vibrant atheist and volunteer as well. Just sayin'"

Translation: Hey CW I'm an atheist(I have no proof that God doesn't exist by the way)....I do good...by volunteering...will that help me? I don't understand how we all got here but I'll believe it was the big bang...or big fa-'rt or whatever "science" sounds good to me.

SeanNJ your turn: "If only someone could sent god a text message to let him know to help this kid....oh, wait, there's an app for that."

Translation: I'm a truly pathetic person....so I'll make a joke. Guess you and the former Aflac duck exchanged jokes ehh? Booooooooooooooooooooo off the stage now...please.

Finally....All of you that feel the need to belittle us christians...please go somewhere else....no one cares if you don't believe...make little jokes if that makes you feel better.

March 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Larry Murchenson

Thanks for sharing that Christian love with us, CW.

March 16, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Luke

CW

Incorrect again my friend! And thanks for putting words in my mouth. Let's start at the beginning.

I mentioned that I volunteer to show you that atheists can do good too, since you persistently bash atheists and brand us evil. I displayed to you that it is a false equivocation. I never said anything about it helping. It does make me feel good to help others, particularly those in need. I do it by my own accord rather than being forced to do good or instructed to do good, as you are.

The big bang says absolutely nothing about "how we got here." It explains the viewable expanstion of the universe observed by Sir Edwin Hubble. Previously, consensus was that the universe was static. Hubble proved them wrong and set a course for new science. The big bang is clearly something you know nothing about. How about reading about it and asking reasonable questions about it before saying, "It doesnt explain how we got here." The big bang – again – says absolutely nothing about that. Good try.

Nice Christian love by the way. Clearly you find questioning of your beliefs as an attack and persecution rather than a conversation. Your crutch is this nonsense. And what a weak crutch it is. Pathetic sir. A child's argument. Are you 12?

March 16, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@CW: The only thing wrong with my "rant" was that it was ridiculously unoriginal. I only feel slightly bad about it because I really would like to see this kid pull through.

As for your "little rant," I do believe that belittling Christians is one of the very few things that would get me out of bed before noon on Sunday.

March 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • CW

@ Luke,

I didn't hear any questions from you....only belittling and poking fun. You meantioned your volunteer work to poke fun....life must be all about making fun of folks ain't it? No I didn't put any words in your mouth....just the ones that showed how much of a clueless person you are.

You can trust in that "science" stuff all you want. I'll put my Faith in the word of God....by the way we will get to see who's right in the end.

March 16, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Luke

CW

False again. I did not mention my volunteer work to poke fun. I stated a fact in order to get your mind running. You have a funhouse mirror image of what it is like to be an atheist. It's all wrong sir. Better to ask informed questions than to assume things about your fellow brethren. Fact is, science works no matter what you believe. None of this even has anything to do with science. But I challenge you nonetheless. Next time you get sick, don't take any of the scienced up medicine. See if you heal quickly. Better yet, if you ever need major surgery, don't go to the hospital with all of those sciencey doctors and medical technology they use. Just lay around and get better. Or better yet, pray yourself healthy. And turn off that darn sciencey computer. Moron.

March 16, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • Steve

CW
      Interesting how you try to separate non believer from atheist given that the definition of atheist is one who doesn't believe. Why do we visit sites like this? I think an atheist site might be pretty boring.
      "So I understand you still don't believe in God?"
      "Yeah it still seems ridiculous to me."
      "Any chance you might change you mind?
      "Not llikely."
      No mostly we come here for the morbid fascination. A train wreck of illogic and ignorance. Or maybe it's payback for all the times some dimwits came knocking at the door proselytizing their particular brand of mumbojumbo.
      Look...I feel sorry for the kid being in a coma and all and I hope he recovers.
      But praying for his return to health is about as useless as the iphone app he created. Prayers do nothing more than wax the egos of those praying. Convincing themselves that they're doing something helpful and assuaging their guilt over their helplessness.

March 16, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • ScottK

@CW – "Why comment on this story?" Because athiests can see that it proves their point, why would this God you so vigorously worship would hit this young kid with a truck & put him in a coma but then send someone out to rescue him so that he didn't die. It makes no sense from a religous perspective. It only makes sense from an athiests perspective, which is that stuff happens, and there are no invisible hands aiding or hindering humans.

March 16, 2011 at 5:34 pm |

Even "Father in the sky" too difficult to comprehend?

March 16, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • NL

CW-
      Let's get one thing straight, you are being selective over what 'science' you trust, correct? You're not typing away comments on some computer made out of bamboo are you? Even if you were, the Professor probably fashioned it by using his scientific knowledge, and you would have to concede that you actually trust and respect his work, right?

Same for the doctors who treat your rash, and the people who work on making your pickup safer than your grandaddy's. There are numerous scientists working every day whose work you not only benefit by, but you also trust simply because some preacher some place hasn't taught you that their work somehow jeopardizes the trustworthiness of the Bible.

So, evolution becomes a problem science, but do you bother to think about how the genetically engineered tomatoes on your Big Mac were made by folks who not only believe in evolution, but use it as a basis for their work? Evolution can't actually 'work' if it's wrong, and if it can't work then you'd better avoid all foods that an evolutionist scientist had a hand in producing, right? Medicines too. Vegans or environmentalists will actually research in order to avoid products they detest. How many creationists have this kind of commitment?

March 16, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
  14. e33

When will people stop trying to milk people for money using Gawd as the tool?

March 16, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Luke

Only when people stop giving hucksters their tax-free money to feel better about not being alone err something. Quite a scam, no?

March 16, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  15. Nonimus

We don't know the exact circ.umstances and I wish him a quick recovery, but no one is talking about his responsibilities, "Forget Gum. Walking and Using Phone Is Risky." http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/17/technology/17distracted.html?_r=1

March 16, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  16. TheRationale

People just blatantly disregard all negatives and attribute the positives to God.

God let the kid get hit by a truck. But he let someone find him. Miracles!

It's sad people can think this way.

March 16, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Luke

It is sad. And they are running the world.

March 16, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • NL

The really sad thing is that there are believers out there who would credit God for guiding the person in finding the boy, but also for shoving him in front vehicle as well, and they would find no cause in any of this to question God's love by doing this. If you can believe that God acts to save, and is powerful enough to have prevented this to begin with, then you have to conclude that he let it happen in order to create a sign, a miracle.

Better, perhaps, to leave it all to free will. Someone chose to drive recklessly, or drunk. At the very least, somebody hit the boy, and drove away. Free will. Somebody else, we as.sume, chose to get involved and the boy was taken to get care. Again, free will. Whether you believe in God or not we can all learn from the choices these people made, right?

March 16, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
  17. RM

"The family of the Del Campo High School senior calls it a miracle that he was even found after being hit by a vehicle walking home early Sunday morning."

Why is finding an injured person who is now in a coma a miracle? I would think a miracle would be not being hit by the car in the first place, but I'm sure there will be an illogical reason given by those who want to deny any kind of logical explanation.

March 16, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • ScottK

It's because religious people throw "miracle" around as much as sports announcers say "Unbelievable!". Neither are true, but that doesn't stop them. I think they feel it sounds good in the heat of their religious or sports moment.

March 16, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • CW

@ ScottK,

Who cares what you think?....NO ONE IS THE ANSWER!!! Let me ask...why is that all the nonbelievers...think they have to bash any christian or belittle them? Does it make you feel good? Sounds to me like you need some help.

March 16, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Luke

CW

Nah, we tend to just basket Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc, into one basket. You're all equally wrong about the natural world. Some of you are just more violent than others.

March 16, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • ScottK

@CW – Im glad you don't care what I think, but you did not refute one word of my post. As I mentioned, I get equally frustrated about announcers using the phrase "Unbelievable!" 10 times a game for things that are obviously not. It frustrates me when players attribute their wins to God but not their losses. It frustrates me when miracle is thrown around for all the good things that happen but when bad stuff happens its never God's fault. It frustrates me to hear religious folk on these boards whine about how stupid it is for athiests to come to the Belief" blog and attempt a debate with the belivers when the fact is if there was a "Non-Belief" blog you folk would be all over it claiming your moral superiority. And the fact that you don't care what I think probably didn't keep you from reading what I just had to say...

March 16, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • NL

CW-
      It's just our skeptical side coming out. Just as you may be skeptical of the idea that the young man was just 'lucky' to have been found, or 'unlucky' to have been hit in the first place, we are skeptical that any supernatural being intentionally caused the boy to be struck, or intentionally guided someone else to find him.

Anyway, I think that we can all hope that the boy recovers fully from this, right?

March 16, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
    • Rescme

I've seen many accidents while in the fire service and a lot of cases where the person is up walking around and looks just fine at first glance only only to collapse a little later... it's called brain swelling from a traumatic head injury.. no Hocus Pocus or invisible men that live in the sky involved. I hope our technology and our advances in the medical field will be enough to save this young man.

March 16, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • NL

Rescme-
      You have some experience in the fire service, so perhaps you can answer something for me? It appears to me that the vast majority of rescues are considered routine. People are rescued in a timely fashion, or perish after a predictable period. However, the rare cases where people beat the odds, where incredible circu.mstances align just right, or where people survive trauma that would have killed others outright, or where they survive being trapped for an extended period of time all appear to be filed under the category of "miracle", right?

What I was wondering is if you've noticed cases on the other end of the curve? Are there cases where a usually simple rescue failed due to incredible circu.mstances aligning against the victim? Are there cases where people die from relatively minor injuries, or cases where many people are trapped and rescued, but one wasn't so lucky, was actually missed by some fluke?

If there are, from your experience, are the positive cases getting exceptional exposure in the media, while the negative cases are not?

March 17, 2011 at 11:14 am |
  18. Magic

What in tarnation is a "God-aunt"?

Seriously though, my sympathy and best wishes to him and his loved ones.

March 16, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • SeanNJ

I'm guessing it's the sister of his godmother, although it's a strange way to identify a person.

March 16, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • .

Jesus' sister, obviously.

March 16, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
  19. Luke

Talk about ironic.

Hey CW – I ama vibrant atheist and volunteer as well. Just sayin'

March 16, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Luke: I think the term is actually, "iRonic."

March 16, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
  20. CW

Now here is a kid that is truly someone that our teens need to look up to. According to the news story link this guy volunteered and is someone that believes in God.

Your in our prayers....hope God heals you.

March 16, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
    • ?????

"Hope god heals you" Why didn't god keep him from getting hit in the first place?

March 16, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • defygrav12

I agree with you entirely. ❤ Prayers for this kid.

@ ?????....God has a bigger plan than all of us. Just because something bad happens doesn't mean that it would ultimately end in good.

March 16, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
    • Rick Warren

There's wonderful kid loved god so much he was ready to kill other humans. Prayers don't work your life is predestined by god so whatever he chose for you, It's going to happen regardless of what you pray for.

March 16, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
    • Religions are a pile of dung

Remember Pat Tillman? I admired him for his sacrifice. Then you have these religious folks (including his brother) that dropped their support after finding out that he is just an atheist!

Religions (especially Christianity & Islam) are one big pile of dung.

April 10, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Religions are a pile of dung

There is a concept (for you, that is) called, "good without god." Pull your head out of that hole first before trying to understand what it means.

April 10, 2011 at 1:38 pm |