home
RSS
March 16th, 2011

Teen creator of 'Note to God' app in coma

Friends of a California student who created the Note to God iPhone app are asking others to pray for him. KXTV reports.

The family of the Del Campo High School senior calls it a miracle that he was even found after being hit by a vehicle walking home early Sunday morning.

"We ask everyone for prayers, because Allen really needs them right now," Wright's God-aunt, Debbie Lee, said. "To see him lying in a hospital bed, with a respirator, in a coma, it's just wrong."

Josh Hart, who is the brother-in-law of 18-year-old Allen Wright, said the teen had left a friend's house a little after midnight to walk home. His cousin was to meet him halfway.

Read the full story from KXTV
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief

1. Dan

What a waste of time this "prayer" is. People have actually done studies about the supposed "power of prayer" and it actually HURTS. Not sure of the exact reason, but I'll put aside the belief that people's health goes downhill due to prayer (or a belief that you shouldn't fight as hard to be well because "god" will do it for you)........Instead I'll just say it has absolutely zero effect. Zero. How many people have been prayed for that die? Or have strokes and never recover? But in that case, nobody ever seems to blame anybody or claim prayer is worthless. It's only when the person HAPPENS to get BETTER, that suddenly people believe prayer worked!! The psychology of religion would be fascinating if it wasn't downright scary. Why people put aside common sense to believe in sky monsters, fairy tales and ghosts is just flat out sad. I am a good, kind person with a good family and friends...and I don't find the need to do the "right thing" because "god" is watching. I don't need sky police in order to be a good person.

March 31, 2011 at 12:44 am |
  2. Fritz

Jesus has a facebook page, and it's hilarious

March 30, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  3. Ari

hate to ask, but where was his fictional god? i know, i know...he works in mysterious way right? a wise man once said, the invisible and non existent are quite often the same thing.

March 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  4. Trey

haha. Google "Judy Weismonger". She has an opinion on everything.

March 23, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  5. lanboodan

There is God. There is Satan also. I have experienced both. Jesus came not to establish any religion. Religion is man made. Men can believe anything or not belieiving in anything. God gave that choice from the begining. God gave this choice to see who will obey Him. God of creation (Father) is the same who manifested in flesh and became ( son of Man). Holy Spirit is same Father God who manifested in flesh and became Son of God and the Holy Spirit is the same God who live among us to convict us of sin, justice and judgement. (For a child has been26 born to us, a son has been given to us. He shoulders responsibility and is called:27Extraordinary Strategist,28 Mighty God,29 Everlasting Father,30 Prince of Peace.31 (Isaih 9:6)

March 23, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • safety girl

"Satan, Satan, lend me a dollar, Satan, Satan, lend me a dollar now."

March 23, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • Dan

You're mentally ill. Stop reading a few thousand year old books of fiction....when people were clueless about the earth and science....and look around you. It's 2011. Your descriptions of "god" don't even make sense!! What are you even talking about? It's mumbo jumbo.

April 3, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
  6. derp

The kids family should pray to god to let somebody invent a time machine. That way they could go back in time and tell him to get out of the way of that car.

March 23, 2011 at 11:20 am |
  7. EyeH8Obama

Hey, Judy Weismonger, shut the heck up!!!

March 22, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
    • Dan

Judy Weismonger is awesome! She should continue speaking words of wisom!

April 3, 2011 at 9:52 pm |
  8. sr

It takes MORE faith to be an atheist than a believer. Look into it. Just what ARE you basing YOUR beliefs on? Or could it be that you haven't taken the time to look into Christian apologetics? And so you figure YOUR beliefs are accurate, without even looking into it. Yeah, THAT'S "open-minded"!

March 22, 2011 at 12:29 am |
    • Jeanine

Let's take a look at the world "atheist." First, we have the prefix "a" which means "non," then we have the root word "theist" which means, pretty much, "believer in the divine." Non-believer. It doesn't take any faith at all to not believe. Humans are born atheist, it doesn't take any action to stay that way.

March 22, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
    • Jeanine

Additionally, most atheists I know were once part of a religion, and many have a higher understanding of more religions than even people who subscribe to the religions.

A google search of the terms "Atheists know more about religion" turns up the results of this survey done in 2008:

We're not closed-minded. We have looked into it, and we don't buy it. I don't believe that there is not a god. I don't believe there is a god. It's impossible for me or anyone else to know for sure. I get that that's the whole part of the "faith" thing, but I think it's important for people of faith to recognize that not everyone in the world is content to base their lives around blind faith and that that will never change.

There are too many people who are absolutely sure that their god is the only god. I'm glad you have that in your life, but it doesn't work for everyone. I speak for myself and probably a handful of other non-theists when I say that it's more than a little insulting to be called ignorant and closed-minded simply because we don't believe as you do.

March 22, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  9. Cherisse

I think this app is great! I love it and I pray for the creator to get better soon. His poor mother must be wreck!!!

March 19, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
    • Cathy

I agree with you this is a great app and I pray he gets better soon. and for all you who doubts There is no God you better hope your right which your not!!!!!! but for your sake you best dont know anyone who wants to burn

March 23, 2011 at 2:07 am |
  10. Spawk

Ahh the beauty of religion...rationalization. If he lives it's a miracle. If he dies it was gods will. There's just no downside! Man, religious sheeple never cease to boggle mind. Jesus is Santa Claus for dumb-ass adults.

March 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
    • andres

I just can't agree more with you.

March 20, 2011 at 9:59 am |
    • retnav

You are pathetic I have died and I know there is something else, I did not see the pearly gates but something far worse. I feel sorry for you one day you will have to give account and your knee will bend to Jesus laugh if you want but it will and you will remember this. I pray that God touches your heart and you change.

March 22, 2011 at 12:04 am |
    • derp

"You are pathetic I have died and I know there is something else"

No, you did not die. You may have come close, but if you actually died, you would be ina dirt locker six feet down. Yopu may have had a near death experience that cused you to hallucinate some otherworldly experience, but from a biological standpoint, you were not dead.

Your insistence that you experienced some type of afterlife event does however suggest oxygen deprivation to the point of mild brain damage.

March 23, 2011 at 11:27 am |
    • Dan

Perfect words. Perfectly said! 🙂

March 31, 2011 at 1:04 am |
  11. Mr Spockk

Too bad, it seems that this kid's life will be cut short; enjoy the life that you have, there is nothing after this.

March 18, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • Trey

SO positive, Mr. Spock. Who are you to decide where he goes? Better yet, how are any of us able to decide where anyone goes. We're all human baby, and Spock is from Star Trek.

March 23, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  12. Brittnie

I cant believe people today, what is it to u if someone believes in god, or prays?????? U all comment on a kids tragedy as if it was a personal debate to those who wish him well??? However they go about doin it is none of ur buisness. Keep ur " ur so stupid cuz u pray" sh_it to ur self! To allens family, very sorry, an wish him a quick recovery!!!

March 17, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • Tim

The story above calls it a miracle that the teen survived to even be found. This is a form of testimony/proselytization. The family and friends of this teen are also using this tragedy to push a specific agenda, religion. That is why I would care about this story. I also wish this teen and his family well, but I am disappointed they used it for lies.

March 17, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
    • pk

two hands working accomplish more than a thousand clasped in prayer..

March 18, 2011 at 1:52 am |
    • safety girl

Brittnie – you ask "what is it to u if someone believes in god". I'm fine with people believing whatever they want (think it's called "free will", to borrow a phrase) but when these same people try to mandate what a person can do with their own body or whether they can marry the consenting adult of their choice, then it becomes a problem for me, and should for every thinking person.

March 23, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  13. Mike in FL

Here's hoping this young man recovers fully and completely. Believer or Atheist, I think that's something we can all agree on.

March 17, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
  14. Reality

If prayer worked no one would ever get sick, die or get hurt in a car accident. Such is not the case and prayer therefore is a waste of time.

So put down your rosaries and prayer beads and stop worshiping/revering cows and bowing to Mecca five times a day. Instead work hard at your job, take care of aging parents, volunteer at a soup kitchen, donate to charities and the poor and continue to follow any good rules of living as gracious and good human beings.

//////////

March 17, 2011 at 7:57 am |
  15. greg

The only miracle here is that people still believe in this god nonsense.

March 17, 2011 at 6:27 am |
    • pk

seriously!!

only, it really is more of a tragedy most times.. like, you know, that one time when people died because of religion? remember, that one time??.... whoops, i meant every day.. and for thousands of years..

March 18, 2011 at 1:48 am |
  16. Overmann

If God can interfere (as so many people believe; why else pray?) to make Allen Wright healthy again, why not interfere to prevent him from being hit by a car? It's sick. A benevolent god with the power to interfere would not have allowed this to happen, and so such a god is not fit to be worshiped.

March 17, 2011 at 3:49 am |
    • TCS

It is called free will.
      Also, anytime I see a tragedy and people wonder why God didn't do something or why did he 'make it happen', I just think that those people just don't get it. The world in all it's wonder and glory doesn't hold a candle to what is in heaven. When God calls a person, even if they die in the most tragic way, they are going to a better place. The only reason you would not go on to a better place is if your heart is rooted too much in this world and your cannot enjoy the splendor of Heaven.

March 17, 2011 at 10:37 am |
    • False Reality

"It is called free will.Also, anytime I see a tragedy and people wonder why God didn't do something or why did he 'make it happen', I just think that those people just don't get it. The world in all it's wonder and glory doesn't hold a candle to what is in heaven."

Whenever there is a tragedy like this I am inclined to be reticent; however I feel as if this line of thinking is both dangerous and condenscending. This child's life is precious, by acting as if "all the world and it's glory doesn't hold a candle to what is in heaven" devalues what is potentially lost if they do not come out of the coma.

"When God calls a person, even if they die in the most tragic way, they are going to a better place. The only reason you would not go on to a better place is if your heart is rooted too much in this world and your cannot enjoy the splendor of Heaven."

This just taking the opportunity of tragedy to fear monger. It's callous, unproven and gives me the chills that anyone would be this opportunistic. This is not a great chance to jump on your box and peddle Jesus, this child's life is precious and deserves better than to be a poster child for your "cause".
      Even if you are not religious, anyone who laughs at this tragedy or thinks that this is 'karma justice', I feel sorry for. Your hearts are so filled with hate and blindness that keeps you from feeling true joy, and not just the joy of tearing others down."

March 17, 2011 at 7:59 pm |
    • TCS

Peddling Jesus? Who's peddling Jesus.
      I'm not even trying to instill fear into people.
      I was merely commenting on another comment that brought God into the conversation first. When people claim that 'because of this tragedy, God is either evil, or impotent', I am merely pointing to a different explanation.
      This is a horrible tragedy and I do hope this boy gets better. I also know that this is crushing his family and friends. But I also know that whether he pulls through or not, God still loves him and will take care of him, either in this world or the next.
      Fear mongering is not a good reason to do anything. But there are also times when the truth must be told and sometimes the truth can be fearful. Just because a message is fearful does not make it fear mongering, especially if it is the truth.

March 18, 2011 at 10:03 am |
    • Judy Weismonger

Right Overmann...if praying cured anyone of anything, there would be reason for hospitals, doctors or medicine....prayer is the most worthless of human activities ever created by the delusional, primitive mind. This IS the 21st century, its really, really time to evolve past such worthless activities as praying.... I've never seen prayer cure cancer, stop wars, keep people from suffering from Alzheimer disease, or any thing else ....prayer is part of irrational religious beliefs, that an imaginary god an interrupt the laws of physics, remove the consequences of one's action, and perform magic tricks (miracles)....just because god heard someone praying. But, gee, prayer never works....Never. Prayer is like a 5 year old talking her dolly...its now time to grow up...and THINK.

March 20, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • TCS

I feel sorry for you Judy, I really do.

March 21, 2011 at 10:38 am |
    • Dan

TCS – Boy, you really know the truth huh? It must be amazing to have all the answers. Yknow there was a time that people thought lightning storms were god's way of showing you he's angry. Or that a flood was god's punishment. Well, now we understand weather...and tsunamis.....And yknow....people even though the world was flat. You see how well that worked out. Religion is ancient. Science is true intelligence and TRUTH.

And...if Heaven is SOOO great....Why not kill yourself? Or rejoice he might die? Your story makes no sense. Heaven is glorious, but god loves you. So he allowed you to get hit by a car and suffer....your friends suffer...to hope...then only have him die. Can't you see how none of it makes REAL SENSE? How can you possibly call your ridiculous belief TRUTH? It's stories that were ingrained in you and SCARED into you from childhood. WAKE UP.

March 31, 2011 at 12:56 am |
  17. Jane

Wow, people are really stupid. Someone should clue his family in that instead of wasting time praying, they should be doing something constructive and helpful.

March 17, 2011 at 2:11 am |
    • stu

Normally I would agree but what are the family meant to do? Quickly go through medical school to perform life saving surgery?

March 17, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • pk

two hands working accomplish more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

March 18, 2011 at 1:46 am |
    • Gina

Wow seriously, you people are seriously disgusting. I bet your the ones that call on god only when something bad happens huh... And you say do something constructive instead of pray?! This young man believed in praying and the power of god.. So just think for a minute if people are calling on god fir the same reason which is to Dave Allen then I do believe that the prater will be answer'd and he will again be with us and faith will have continued and
      God again will have answers our prayers.... Ima pray for you people who doubt god and the power of prayer!!!

March 19, 2011 at 4:37 am |
    • Trey

Are you the authority for deciding which people are stupid? Google "Judy Weismonger". She has an opinion on everything that can be debated. Maybe you two can hang out and be Debbie Downers together.

March 23, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • Dan

Gina – You sound like a person that says "Hey there are no athiests in foxholes!" or some moronic statement like that...as if to threaten that when it's your darkest day...your worst day, somehow you know that I'll go calling to "god".....Well ya know what? F OFF. You arrogant sheep. You don't know what any of us will do. You sound like somebody from the crusades. Using fear and/or violence (even..yes...death!) to make people convert to their club...umm...cult...umm....religion!

Prayer does nothing. Judy's statements are correct about the study. Hey....so what if this kid dies? Then what's the reason? Not enough prayers?? Or then it'll become "well...it was his time.....god wanted him back".......What a bunch of cop out BS. You know it. No matter what, there's a "god" answer...not a common sense one.

March 31, 2011 at 12:51 am |
  18. Bart Mahoney

All of our children are special. I am fortunate to be Allen's billiard instructor for Del Campo.

We're waiting for you Allen. Come back soon. I trust and pray that you will and that our time together will resume.

I know God's strength is with your family. Love

March 17, 2011 at 1:48 am |
    • pk

did you pray for him.... on your iphone??????

but seriously, why does anyone need AN APP to PRAY?? i remember when i prayed; that would have taked a lot of typing (i prayed a lot, because i was so convinced). but come on, SERIOUSLY! an APP for PRAYERS TO GOD???? where exactly do they go???????????

give me a break already.

March 18, 2011 at 1:16 am |
    • chelseykia

What's wrong with prayer on an iphone?

Prayer means conversation with God, period. I do it through typing, writing, drawing, whispering, the mediums are endless. Whatever the words that were written/spoken – they all come up to God.

Who says God can't be modern? He's more technological-savvy than anyone else in the world (aside from being the Most Awesome, of course. ;))

April 11, 2011 at 7:56 pm |
  19. Cody

Ouch, people still pray?

March 17, 2011 at 1:14 am |
    • achepotle

not very well, apparently.

March 17, 2011 at 8:58 am |
    • NL

About as often as people throw coins into wishing wells, probably.

March 17, 2011 at 9:48 am |
    • Ruby

Yes, people still pray. Prayer is very comforting. There are many people who want to talk to someone, yet feel alone. Allen's app has helped many realize that they are never alone. As the song goes, "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine." Allen's light for spreading the love of God has been a beacon. My prayers for Allen and his family.

March 18, 2011 at 6:47 am |
    • Judy Weismonger

Yes...people still pray, its called begging a nonexistent god to excuse them from the consequences of their actions...interrupt the laws of physics in an act of religious magic, and then get god to give them stuff they didn't earn or deserve.

Prayer is just ridiculous...its is simply a way of self hypnotism to escape from reality. And does zero good. In fact, in three studies, it was shown that people who "knew" they were being prayed for...after a heart attack...died sooner than those were not prayed for at all. So, please if you value your life and health...keep away from prayer, and spend your time doing good research and finding yourself a good doctor.

March 20, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  20. tallulah13

I strongly suspect the vatican called out a hit because the "Note-To_God" app downloads were distracting technology-savvy people from the JP2 facebook page.

All kidding aside, I hope the kid recovers.

March 17, 2011 at 12:09 am |
    • Judy Weismonger

Wait a minute! This kid believes in god, and prayed every day to be protected by god....who then is hit by a car...goes into a coma and is about to die. Something is wrong with this picture. In fact....all the tornadoes in the US that also destroyed churches...proves to me that there is no god, god belief protects no one, does not cure illness and the more people concentrate on god or Jesus...the more out to lunch they are and unable to take care of themselves.

Then on top of this....the religious want us to pray for this kid...who was not served by god or prayer in the first place????!!!! What is wrong with this picture?

Prayer is a waste of time....what this kid needs is good Atheist medicine, and a good Atheist doctor to cure him. One good physician cures more people in two weeks than imaginary Jesus did in three years. Oh well...

March 20, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
    • Timothy Collingsworth

Judy, it's not a contest. There are no winners in this game. That's an illusion. What is real to one may not be real to another. Look into it.

March 21, 2011 at 12:16 am |
    • EyeH8Obama

Judy, Nowhere does the Bible say that we will have an easy life, in fact, a Christian's life will be harder, and we will have to sacrifice more. I'm willing to sacrifice, and in the end, I only hope you would stop throwing around your opinion as if it were law. Did you come to this topic just to fight?

March 22, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • Guin

Wow, Eye, I'm not sure Jesus would want you to hate Obama. And if your life is supposed to be harder, why do you all cry about "persecution" so much? And speaking of picking fights, we're back at your name.

Look, in all seriousness, your life is supposed to be a witness for Christ. I don't think that is exemplified by spouting hatred.

March 23, 2011 at 11:27 am |
    • Diane

You're sick! Go take your meds!

March 30, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • Dan

@Judy Weismonger – So well said!! Perfect. Yet even in the face of this, which makes little sense if their stories are true, they still cling to belief. It's pretty sad. I believe in reality. Electricity, gravity, the periodic table, the gulf stream, the good and bad in regular everyday people. Do they really think prayers are going to help him? So the more people pray, the more of a chance he has to get better? What about a lonely guy with only a few friends? God wouldn't help that guy because not enough people prayed? What a moronic belief. If people really thought about it, they'd see it's ridiculous, but they're indoctrinated from birth. Wake up world!! Common sense is calling!

March 31, 2011 at 12:39 am |