home
RSS
Making time to pray five times daily
March 21st, 2011

Why do Muslims pray five times daily?

Editor's Note: CNN’s Soledad O’Brien chronicles the fight over a mosque’s construction in the heart of the Bible Belt. “Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door” airs at 8 p.m. ET March 27 on CNN.

Text by Soraya Salam, for CNN, photos by Angie Lovelace, CNN

ATLANTA, Georgia - It’s 6:00 a.m. The sun isn’t up yet, but Wahaaj Mohammed is.

He’s performing a ritual washing in preparation for his first prayer of the day. He’ll go on to pray four more times before the day is through, a practice called “salat” that many of the estimated 1.5 billion Muslims worldwide perform daily.

It’s a practice that Mohammed, a 21-year old recent graduate from the Georgia Institute of Technology, can’t imagine life without.

“It reminds you about God throughout your day,” he says. “At fixed intervals, no matter how busy you are, all of a sudden you have to take out a few minutes and you’re remembering, OK, why am I really here?”

“And while I was doing whatever I was doing, was I doing it in a manner pleasing to God?”

Praying five times a day is considered the second most important of Islam’s five pillars, after professing that there is no god worthy of worship but God and that the Prophet Mohammed is God’s messenger.

Each prayer includes a series of movements, supplications, and recitations from the Quran, Islam’s holy book, in its original Arabic.

Muslims consider prayer to be a spiritual and physical act, with various standing, bending, and prostrating postures symbolizing devotion to God.

“When you’re at your lowest point, your head is on the ground, you’re saying ‘Oh, praise to my God, the most high,’” says Mohammed, who was born in Chattanooga, Tennessee. “It’s very humbling.”

Imam Zaid Shakir, co-founder of Zaytuna College - which is aiming to be the first accredited Muslim college in the United States - says salat symbolizes what Islam considers the purpose of creation: to worship God.

“As a human being, I have a physical body, I have an intellect, and I have a spirit, and the ritual prayer involves all three of those aspects,” says Shakir, who is also a professor of Islamic theology at Zaytuna.

“My entire being is involved in my prayer, and that symbolizes the dedication of my entire being to the service of my creator,” he says.

The first prayer, called “Fajr” is performed before sunrise; the second prayer, “Thuhr” comes just after noon; the third prayer, “Asr,” arrives during mid-afternoon; the fourth prayer, “Maghrib,” is just after sunset; and the last prayer, “Isha,” is performed at night.

These prayers are considered an obligation for every Muslim by the time he or she reaches puberty. Mohammed says he has rarely missed a prayer.

Preparation

Before each prayer, Mohammed performs a ritual ablution, called “wudu.” The process involves washing the hands, face, arms and feet. Wudu symbolizes a state of physical and spiritual purity required to stand before God.

“There’s a saying (in Islam) that our external form impacts our internal state, just as our internal state has an impact on our external form,” says Shakir.

When Mohammed is away from home for a prayer, he washes up in a public restroom.

“You do feel kind of awkward,” he says. “And it usually happens, for whatever reason, that someone always walks in and your feet are in the sink and they’re thinking, ‘What’s this person doing?’”

Afterward, Mohammed finds a quiet, clean place to perform his prayer, during which he will face northeast towards the holiest site in Islam, the Kaaba. The cube-shaped building is located in Mecca, Saudi Arabia and, according to Islamic tradition, was built by the prophet Abraham and his son Ishmael.

“(Muslims) all pray in the same uniform way, wherever they are, whether they’re in India or Indonesia or Saudi Arabia or America or Japan,” Mohammed says. “They all pray in the same manner, facing the same direction.”

Mohammed raises his hands to shoulder level while reciting, “Allahu Akbar,” or “God is the greatest,” signaling the start of the prayer.

Making time

Mohammed often gets questioned about how he finds the time to pray so many times a day.

“I think it’s just where you put your priorities,” he says. “If you put (prayer) at a high level, then it’s not hard.”

As a college student, Mohammed would schedule his classes and social events around the prayers. He says they mostly take five to ten minutes to complete and that technology has made it easy for him to remember when to pray.

“When the prayer time starts, (my phone) sends me a text message,” he says. “I know a lot of people that have the iPhone app that gives a little alarm or a text or something. And some people even have the iPhone app that shows them the direction of the prayer.”

Zaytuna’s Shakir says the intervals between prayer demarcate transitions within the day that necessitate the remembrance of God.

“In the morning we’re getting up from our sleep, so we’re beginning that day by praying to our Lord and our creator,” he says. “And then at noon… just as we take our lunch break to replenish our physical body, we take time to reaffirm our commitment to our creator and thereby replenish our spirit.”

“At night, before we turn in and go to sleep to regroup, we don’t know if we’re going to see the new day,” he says. “Once again, (we) take time to acknowledge our creator and the rights he has over us.”

When Mohammed is at his mosque in Atlanta, Georgia, he has the “adhan” to alert him that a particular prayer time has begun. The adhan is the Islamic call to prayer that consists of a series of phrases recited melodiously, including, “God is the greatest,” “Come to prayer,” and “Come to success.”

In Muslim-majority countries, the adhan is called from an outdoor loudspeaker. For Muslims in America, it is recited in the mosque or in the privacy of one’s home. Mohammed compares it to the ringing of a church bell to signify the start of a service.

Mohammed says that in addition to adding structure to his day, salat helps keep him accountable for his daily actions and lets him have a personal relationship with God.

Striving for spiritual success

In the glow of a recent coming dawn, Mohammed and his family complete their first prayer of the day with a phrase in Arabic that means, “May the peace and mercy of God be upon you.”

He notes that the call to prayer before sunrise has an extra phrase added in: “Prayer is greater than sleep.”

“So, no matter what you’re doing in your life, it’s always, ‘God is greater than that’ - whether it’s sleep, whether it’s work, whatever it is, God is the greatest,” Mohammed says, pausing to rub his eyes.

“Behind any type of success,” he says, “there’s always a sacrifice.”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Islam • Prayer • Uncategorized

1. Don

To Bryan- You converted to Islam because you are weak and gullible. If you were previously of a Christian faith, you have made a monumental mistake. Use your god given power of reaon and investigate the provable fallacies of Islam. You believe in a cult, fostered by a child molester that went up toa mountaintop and cambe back with the "word of god", despite all of it's errors, corrections, revisions and contradictions. Plus, there were no witnesses nor anyway to corroberate anything. Wake the hell up.

March 21, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • Bryan

Like I said, I started studying the religion at 12. Eleven years later and I'm pretty sure I have a handle on it. I am always studying and always reading. I don't think I left anything behind from my Christian faith (I was raised Lutheran). I think it actually helped me to accept the path best for me. I love Christianity, and I love all my Christian brethren. The only difference I have, truly, is that I don't acccept the divinity of Jesus (peace be upon him.) I don't know why you feel the need to attack me just because I professed that I am happy with my life. Jealousy perhaps? No matter. Not my place to judge you. Assuming you are Christian, you should know that. Do not judge me and I will not judge you.

March 21, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Jesus

Christians know that when the Egyptians built gigantic pyramids and mummified the bodies of their pharaohs, that it was a total waste of time - otherwise Christians would build pyramids.

Christians know that when the Aztecs carved the heart out of a virgin and ate it, that it accomplished nothing - otherwise Christians would kill virgins.

Christians know that when Muslims face Mecca to pray, that it is pointless - otherwise Christians would face Mecca when they pray.

Christians know that when Jews keep meat and dairy products separate, that they are wasting their time - otherwise the cheeseburger would not be an American obsession.

March 21, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Magic

Jesus,

Very good.

"Yet, when Christians look at their own religion, they are for some reason blind."

Yes, their scales and veils and logs and other eye problems are only for other people.

March 21, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • Li

Hell yeah Don!

I'm sorry, but the Muslim religion is a joke. Allah is sin, the moon god. According to the Qur'an, shooting star and meteors are thrown by Allah at Djinns who are climbing up the planes of the universe to eavesdrop on him. (A Djinn is an invisible spirit mentioned in the Koran and believed by Muslims to inhabit the earth and influence mankind by appearing in the form of humans or animals)

This read is great:

fordham.edu/halsall/source/christ-muslim-debate.html

March 21, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
    • John

Hell yeah Don I agree. We should hang all Muslims... Long live McCain!

March 21, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
    • Abdul Azziz

Please move to Pakistan Bryan. Or even Londonistan, better known as Pakistan North, where we have already taken over.....Sharia will come soon to Londonistan!

March 21, 2011 at 7:56 pm |
    • Matt

I have the firm belief that religion is that matter of the individual, however I am a Catholic, and currently serving in Afghanistan. I have seen Islam pretty close. We take classes in order to better understand the people we are trying to help and the enemy we are fighting. Although as a Christian I do disagree with a lot of Islam, for example the divinity of Christ. I believe Jesus is the living son of God, and that he died for our sins. Muslims belive that Jesus was a prophet and is greatly revered. I believe in order to get to paradise you must only get there through Christ. I don't believe all Muslims are evil, as I believe that not all Christians are rightous. I have notices many simularities between the two religions, after all Jewish, Muslims and Christians, all pray to the God of Abraham.
      However just like every thing that is older than time, men have corrupted religion, misinterpreted holy scripture, corrupted doctorine in order to benifit themselves. All religions claim proof to their beliefs in one way or another, but any of these proofs, would survive court.
      So, instead of being angry with someone whose belief differs in yours, rejoice that those diffrences exist. Those diffrences are what makes your faith even more special to you.

March 21, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
  2. Chip

huh...looks to me like all the bowing is because the "men" of Islam like to smell each other's azzez.

March 21, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  3. Bryan

Salaam Alaikum, brother. And thank you, CNN, for such an informative article. The more people know about our faith, the more they'll come to tolerate it, and, inshallah, embrace it for themselves. I converted at 18, after studying the faith since I was 12, and still feel such contentment with God and the world in which I live. Embracing Islam has only lead to peace in my life. I hope everyone has a chance to feel such peace.

March 21, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
    • What???

Actually, it's the opposite! The more people know about Islam, especially what Muhammad did, the less respect they have for it.

March 21, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
    • Bryan

Then they truly do not know. They only hear at they are told.

March 21, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
    • What???

NO, they read the koran and hadith themselves. The more educated people are on the koran and mohammad, the more they find Islam hateful and violent. People who think Islam is peaceful are the ones who only hear what they're told (usually by imams or the PC media).

March 21, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
    • Bryan

I can only speak for myself then. I have read, studied and feel at peace with Islam as I know it.

March 21, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  4. Skeetz

I dont trust anyone claiming to be of the Islamic faith, their agenda runs counter to everything the US was founded on. We had a coworker, who was allowed to practice his failth in an out of the way office. Appearred to be a fine upstanding coworker. Then one day he was gone. Seems the company found out his family was identified with terrorist acts against the US in the country he was from, Lesson learned – even a terrorist can be nice to your face until the time comes when they decide its time that your building be blown up or you are to be killed because you are not of the Islamic faith. Any faith that is not tolerant of other faiths both here and abroard should be branded a terrorist organization and then shut down and put out of humanities misery. It has been demonstrated time and time again that Islamics are not tolerant of Christians and will kill them every opportunity they get.

March 21, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  5. mama panda

On a long-ago trip, I awoke in Egypt to the pre-dawn call to prayer. It was the first time I'd ever heard the call to prayer, and even now I have no words to describe its ethereal beauty in the stillness of the night.

The same did not hold true in places like Cairo where ethereal beauty was replaced by a caterwauling cacaphony created by several muezzins, each beginning at a slightly different time, on different pitches, from separate mosques over separate loudspeakers, however...

...the last time I heard the call to prayer was in Amman, Jordan, where the muezzins had coordinated their pitches, their timing, and their loudspeakers to present a call to prayer that even in a busy mid-afternoon made simply standing still and listening more than worthwhile - an exercise that, in itself, was a form of prayer.

Argue if you must about Christianity, Islam, etc. I won't, because every religion (or non-religion) offers things of beauty, of merit, of the potential for spiritual growth. I'd rather concentrate on those than waste my life picking apart their flaws, shortcomings, past evils, and violent histories.

March 21, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
    • Bryan

That was very well-said. Thank you. 🙂

March 21, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  6. Finn

@ppehs, what do Muslims care what your Bible says? It's not their scripture, it's yours. Muslim scripture is the Koran, which says to pray 5 times a day wherever you are. Perhaps to others your praying alone looks like you're hiding and ashamed of the world finding out that you pray.

March 21, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  7. wm smale

I wish I could take that much time from work to pray, but I'd get fired. Hell, I can't even wear my hat at work, though I wear my hat everywhere else, it's not considered religious, but it should be my right to do so. But yet the Muslims get to wear their trubin, (religious), everything they do, wear and say is religious, and we give into this BS. Why is the good old USA so accommodating to them and less to us born here.

March 21, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • Al

Sikhs wear turbans, not muslims.

March 21, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • derp

"Why is the good old USA so accommodating to them and less to us born here."

Note to doofus, there are millions of Muslims who were born here.

Carry on.

March 21, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
  8. Don

To Tri- You are ignorant and completely wrong. By far the most deaths caused in the world were WW2, Stalin's murder of his own people, Mao's genocide of his own people and the atrocities of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. All were perprtrated by Godless men (Hitler was former Christian but an atheist, Stalin, Mao and the clowns in Cambodia were godless, communists and atheists). Get your facts right, you come off like a fool.

March 21, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • derp

"Hitler was former Christian but an atheist"

Uh, no! Myth perpetuated by christians. Hitler was a devout christian. He was acting on gods will. Read Mein Kampf.

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people."

Hitler 1922

Yeah, slounds like an atheist to me. I guess he killed JEWS because he was an atheist.

March 21, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  9. Julie

I enjoyed this article very much. I lived a year in Kuwait and made many Muslim friends. I have been very curious about this faith and this has answered many questions. So many faiths are more alike than different, if we would be more understanding of each other it would be so much better. Such a small percentage of every faith is radical and extremist that we can't condemn the whole faith for the acts of few.

March 21, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  10. trl

....islam as well as all religions are cults attractive to fools and the weak of mind.....mohammed was a pedophile and a murderer and is nobody any intelligent person should revere.....the pope and his predeccesors are and have been harborers of peophiles and thieves as the catholic priests have been exposed.....RELIGION has been responsible for more deaths and suffering than ALL THE WARS COMBINED......religious zealots are a primary threat to any who believe otherwise......ALL RELIGIONS should be banned starting with islam and the catholics.

March 21, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  11. Don

To Colin- Yeah that would be OK if the last Muslim clinging to that cult gave it up. It would also be OK to see that the last atheist did the same. You should start the trend. Moron

March 21, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  12. Keith

They can pray 5,000 times a day. Pray louder, perhaps your god is sleeping. There is no 'allah', unless 'allah' is another name for Satan. I guess in that case, their god does exist. Maybe they're praying for the Fogel family.

March 21, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
  13. Joseph

To American Muslim- Your words do not match up with the actions of many any your "faith". Your faith is not harmonious with this world, and it is obvious to any observer. Islam will not ever be accepted in the US as it is not compatible with our way of life or with a democracy. Not just because of religious reasons (though that would be enough) but because of the social, political and economic nature of it. It is much worse than communism. You should convert and embrace the real America, and Islam isn't it.

March 21, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  14. Reality

Statistically, your prayer request might come true but it is simply the result of the variabiliy/randomness of Nature.---

So put down your rosaries and prayer beads and stop worshiping/revering cows and bowing to Mecca five times a day. Instead work hard at your job, take care of aging parents, volunteer at a soup kitchen, donate to charities and the poor and continue to follow any good rules of living as gracious and good human beings.

March 21, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  15. American Muslim

I think how great it is this young man stepped out and professed his faith. He did not mention that he also teaches small children about religion, same thing as Sunday School in church. It takes a lot of patience and commitment to be Muslim. Being Muslim doesn't mean you are a terrorist. We live harmonious in this world and all of the people in my small town are very understanding and kind regarding our religion. Open your minds people and embrace your fellow Americans. To be Muslim you must be very devout and religion comes first, not just on Sundays. I am very proud of Wahaaj!!!

March 21, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • Keith

Are you 'proud' of what your muslim brothers did to the Fogel family? Did you see the pictures? Real 'heroes' you are. These murdering muslim pigs are destined for the lowest parts of hell. Islam is of Satan. You muslim cowards make me sick. Come to my house to kill my family and you'll be ones leaving 'boots up'.

March 21, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  16. vicarkatz

And remember, Catholics and a few other Christian groups have prayer traditions that involve prayer at least 5 times a day. You should do a little more research and see how much we really do share in common......

March 21, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  17. Kenny of Salt

I'm not a particularly religious person myself, and I'm certainly not wise enough to criticize the beliefs of others. I recognize sincerity when I see it, however, and I admire someone who is generous enough to share his beliefs with us.
    Work for peace.

March 21, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  18. ppehs

Why do many Musilums pray anywhere in public. The Bible says praying in public is heathen. I personally feel more connected to God when i am alone praying. Praying in public looks like you're bragging and showing the world that you pray. Regardless of what religon you are i think it's something personal between you and God.

March 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • .

Muslims believe that God created the entire Earth as a place to pray. Personally, I like to be secluded when I pray alone so that I can focus better. For Muslims, though, it's encouraged to pray in congregation (as seen in the pictures in the blog) so that you can encourage others to pray as well. It's all the intention: if you're praying in public because you want to show off, you could argue that it is heathen. If you're praying in public because you understand you have a duty to pray to Him within a prescribed time and will do so even at the cost of awkward situations, people gawking at you, and feeling uncomfortable, simply for His sake-well then you can argue that that's sincere faith and submission.

March 21, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • reza

im not very religious but some muslims to pray alone, Its just a matter of what you feel like. Muslims do tend to have that community feeling within them. so they do it.

March 21, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • Unfrozen Caveman

Why do Christians build gold palaces and cathedrals to honor their homeless Jesus? Why do they pray in public, open houses and in many cases in a "look at me" fashion?

March 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • Bryan

It's more like we often find ourselves in public places at prayer time. When the time hits, there's usually not a good excuse not to pray. It takes 5 minutes. So we just do it. I could care less that people see me. I shut out the world when I pray. It's just me and my creator during those 5 mins. Subhanallah.

March 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  19. Colin

Wouldn't you love to see a news report in 50 years like the following: "The Last Muslim Abandons Faith". REUTERS Abu Dhabi – The last remaining Muslim today abandoned his faith and acknowledged that he was an atheist. With his graduation from superst-ition, there are no more Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists or Muslims left in the World. A few regional faiths remain in the less educated parts of the World – Sub Sahara Africa, poor South America and the Bible Belt of the USA, but, in general, the World has finally extricated itself from insti-tutionalized nonsense.

God, Allah, Yahweh, Brahman, Krishna, Vishnu and the the whole concept of reincarnation now join Apollo, Zeus, Ba'al and many spirit gods of the various "native" peoples in the dustbin of history.

March 21, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • JLee

It would be much better to hear a report in 50 years that the last ignorant atheist had seen the light, believing in his heart and confessing with his lips that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God.

March 21, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • GCDb

No, I can honestly say that I wouldn't love it or even feel neutral about it. It would be a sad sad day in the world. I understand that many of the worlds wars have unfortunately been fought in the name of a religion, but God is about love. What's wrong with that?

March 21, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
    • Unfrozen Caveman

I'd rather see it in 10 years or less, and hopefully it won't take buildings falling, dying children and wasted resources to finally but an end to the "my gawd is better, more righteous, more loving, etc than your gawd" garbage the fills our world today.

March 21, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • Unfrozen Caveman

GCDB – which God is about love? the one who approved of slavery? the one who approves of murdering your non-virgin wife on your wedding night?

if God is so loving, why does God do these and more in the holy book called the Bible?

March 21, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
    • Magic

I was sad when I found out that there is no Santa Claus.

I'm sure that my parents had mixed emotions about the revelation - sad at having to end a childish fantasy, but relieved at no longer having to go to all those gyrations to pull off the magic trick.

March 21, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Love does not require a god.

March 21, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
    • God Gene

It's not going to happen! Religions as a whole will not disappear!

Even if Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc., disappear, they will be replaced by new forms of a belief, even if they don't look like the religions in traditional sense. New Age is one of the examples. And for many, celebrities, politicians, fortune cookies or iPhones are their god.

Everyone has a God gene in them!

March 21, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
    • Arthur

What would be an even better event is in 50 years is if one of Gandhi's realizations become the social norm across the world: "I came to the conclusion long ago… that all religions were true and also that all had some error in them, and whilst I hold by my own, I should hold others as dear as Hinduism. So we can only pray, if we are Hindus, not that a Christian should become a Hindu … But our innermost prayer should be a Hindu should be a better Hindu, a Muslim a better Muslim, a Christian a better Christian."

March 21, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  20. DC Poster

The point of praying five times a day was to promote cleanliness – hence the requirement to wash up before praying. It was a practical tactic, then structure to the day, then stopping to remember God. Amazing how the article and experts didn't know this.

March 21, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • elif

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say but muslims never had any problems with keeping themselves and their homes clean. Praying five times a day isn't only to keep the body clean but also to keep the heart clean and pure. so I don't know where you get your information from?

March 21, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • derp

They only wash their hands arms feet and face. Their crotch and armpitts are where the real problems lie. So they will be a bunch of smelly muslims with clean feet. Great, then they all have to bend over in front of one another. That's nasteeee!!!

Good thing I'm an atheist. I don't have to get on the ground with some smelly islamic butt two inches from my snoz. That would blow!!

March 21, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Information

@ derp

Though this incredibly dumb, asinine joke was your sad attempt at witty humor, in actuality it just proved how ignorant and uneducated you are. If you are going to making atrocious, insulting, jokes, please at least get the facts right. Because you are not only offensive, but entirely wrong. Muslims cannot say prayer if the last time they went to the bathroom they used toilet paper alone and no water. After urinating or passing stool, the respective areas must be washed with water. If they were not washed and you used toilet paper alone, you must shower before you can pray.

Clearly your brain lacks the mental capacity to understand religion, or even how to do a simple fact check on the net, so I can understand why you find peace in believing in nothing.

March 25, 2011 at 1:22 am |