home
RSS
'Book of Mormon' opens on Broadway
March 24th, 2011

'Book of Mormon' opens on Broadway

By Cassie Spodak, CNN

New York (CNN) - A new Broadway musical looks at religious faith and doubt with a healthy dose of imagination: the audience meets Jesus, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints founder Joseph Smith, Satan, and an African warlord as well as Darth Vader, Yoda and two hobbits.

The production, called "The Book of Mormon," was written by "South Park" creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker, along with Robert Lopez, who wrote the Broadway hit "Avenue Q."

The creators have used music, irreverent comedy, and obscenity to tackle controversial subjects before, but they say their approach is new to Broadway musicals. The play opened to strong reviews Thursday night.

“Broadway, for so many years, was a very wholesome community,” Lopez told CNN. “As far as comedy, (Broadway) has not progressed as far as movies and TV (even though) there are no censors.”

Lopez met Stone and Parker after they saw "Avenue Q," which followed young puppets and humans living in a fictional New York as they dealt with careers, relationships, sex and the challenges of managing expectations.

When they asked him what he wanted to work on next, Lopez told them he was interested in doing a musical about Mormonism.

Stone and Parker were hooked. It was a subject they had explored in an episode of "South Park" - an animated adult show on Comedy Central that follows four elementary school kids and is known for crude language and satirical humor - and Mormonism held a special fascination for them.

Mormonism originated with Joseph Smith in upstate New York in the early 1800s. This not-so-distant past was attractive to the writers, Lopez told CNN, because they thought it added to the far-fetchedness of the religion's claims that God had anointed Smith as an American prophet.

“A prophet who lived thousands and thousands of years ago in the Middle East is veiled in antiquity,” said Lopez. “But a prophet finding God’s word on golden plates just a few hours drive from New York City is ripe for satire.”

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a brief statement about the musical. “The production may attempt to entertain audiences for an evening," it said, "but the Book of Mormon as a volume of scripture will change people's lives forever by bringing them closer to Christ.”

Portrayals of Mormons or the LDS Church are abundant in pop culture today - from the HBO series "Big Love" to "South Park" - but the church usually stays out of these discussions.

The church has said objecting to such portrayals would only bring them more attention. But the strategy may also contribute to an aura of mystery around the religion.

Richard Bushman, a leading Mormon scholar, says the Mormon faith is an easy target for the entertainment industry.

“Mormonism does seem exotic," he said. "It’s exotic in its temple ceremonies, which are quite out of the ordinary, and it has its stories of angels and gold plates.

“That’s just part of being Mormon, that people will see these things as strange," said Bushman, who is Mormon. "The secrecy of the temple is critical to the temple. Mormons are trying to create a sacred space.”

"The Book of Mormon" follows two young Mormon men, Elder Price and Elder Cunningham, as they set off to complete their required two years as missionaries for the church. One of them has dreams of being dispatched to Orlando, Florida, but they are instead sent to Uganda. Reality there is worlds away from Disney World.

But the setting sometime seems just as fantastical. The small village where the two missionaries are based is terrorized by an obscenely named warlord who directs female genital mutilation and murder.

The musical weaves back and forth from reality to fantasy, as the two protagonists encounter AIDS, rape, war and dysentery as well as musical numbers with Darth Vader, Yoda, Hitler, Genghis Khan, Frodo Baggins of "Lord of the Rings" and human-sized cups of coffee (which Mormons are not supposed to drink).

The sometimes incomprehensible nature of reality forces the young Mormons to question their faith and their purpose in life.

Elder Price begins the musical with a song about how his life has been leading up to this moment and about his desire to do something “incredible.” But the reality of the world around him defeats his optimism. Price succumbs to his doubts about faith and God after having the Book of Mormon stuck in a very uncomfortable part of his anatomy.

His companion, Elder Cunningham, begins to bring converts to the church as he elaborates on the original story of Joseph Smith with allusions to favorite science fiction stories.

Where Elder Price’s blind faith in God seems to have failed him, Elder Cunningham’s embellished stories begin to resonate with the villagers as he relates the Book of Mormon to medical issues and problems in their daily lives. But his fabrications inevitably get him in trouble.

Lopez, who was raised as a Catholic, says the focus on Mormonism was more a vehicle to talk about religion than a desire to ridicule one particular faith tradition.

“When you strip away the need to have scripture make literal sense and stop worrying about whether God exists somewhere, the miracle is that true religion reveals itself," he said. "It’s made up of these wacky stories, but it has a purpose and faith that there is really something good.”

“What’s powerful is not a magical mythical corporeal thing called God," he said. "It’s the power of these ideas, and the power of the trust, and the power of the musical. That’s where the true miracle is. And the result of the miracle is that people are good to each other.”

Graceann Bennett, a strategic planning director in the advertising industry who grew up Mormon, said she was pleasantly surprised by the musical, which she caught in preview.

What resonated with Bennett was how the musical focused on the core beliefs of Mormonism and not the fringe elements that often get more attention, like polygamy.

“They were making fun of things that were true, not things that weren’t true. It was done in a loving way,” she said.

But Bennett is sure that the musical will offend more religious Mormons.

“I think it’s just about how much blasphemous and irreverence you can handle,” she said.

Bennett also said the musical’s message reaches far beyond Mormonism, speaking to those who see religion as “giving people purpose in life, helping them be a better person.”

That pretty well sums up the play's ending, during which Elder Price realizes that the “incredible” he has been striving for can be found in the happiness and faith of the villagers around him - even if their understanding of the Book of Mormon has more to do with the Death Star than with upstate New York.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Culture & Science • Mormonism

1. Nairb

Jason Baker sounds like the guy from Office Space that got laid off from Intertrod and acts like an ex-junky to sell magazine subscriptions.

March 24, 2011 at 11:08 pm |
  2. Randy Hirsch

More than the specifics of defending Mormonism, or Chrisitianity in general, what I find interesting is the case for (what I call ) "faith in faith" at the end of the article.

The message of the musical that the writer appears to commend seems to be that religion gives people "a purpose and faith that there is really something good,” even if their faith is a delusion. In other words, if you face the facts about reality, what hope do we have ? Instead what really gives people hope in life is a lie, believing that something's true when it actually isn't.

For those who are going to object that Mr. Lopez is arguing that it's a myth, not a lie, I will ask this: if one acknowledges that these things are fabricated for the purpose of providiing meaning and purpose, if one deconstruct the religion so to speak, does it still have the power for that person to give them "a purpose in life", and help them to "be a better person" ?

I don't believe so. I don't believe one can have it both ways. So I think "faith in faith" is self-delusion.

March 24, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
  3. Fishman

It's unfortunate that some people think it is socially acceptable to make fun of things sacred to others. I'm not sure this would get much play if this was defaming an different religion other than mormons, but the very fact some people accept and support this kind of tastlessness towards this religous belief system likely in the end only strengthens the LDS Church. Any neutral observer or scholar knows the LDS Church produces decent, good people that profess very solid Christ-based living, anyone who denies this has either never worked, associated or known members of the LDS church or is simply uneducated or bigoted. The more these things happen to a religion, the more that religion is strengthened.

March 24, 2011 at 11:05 pm |
    • slmarkymark

are you against free speech?

March 25, 2011 at 1:13 am |
    • Zombie Jesus

I am guessing they wont be showing this play in Salt Lake City?

March 25, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  4. non-mormon

As one of those poor, dispossessed non-Mormons that had to grow up in Utah, I can say that I can't wait to see this. Although I don't think I'd have a beef with Mormons if I wasn't from this state, they've pushed my buttons a few too many times. Take my advice if you plan to move here, it's a great state with beautiful scenery, but if you have kids DO NOT send them to public school here. Take my word for it, it is worth forking out the money for private school.

March 24, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
    • Dave

I'm sorry you feel that way non-mormon. I grew up in Utah as a Mormon and I had a lot of friends in high school with people from other faiths.

March 25, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  5. JDoe

LOL people defend Mormonism by saying Mormons are good people. Most probably are, just as most people are good and decent in general. But that does not make this valid argument. Simple logic.

March 24, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
  6. Estevan

I am always amazed that anyone could believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet. Talk about religious interpretation...

If you read the history it is CLEAR he was a fraudster and that he made the entire thing up. Believers are deluded and deserve scorn for accepting a story that any reasonable person would call silly, ridiculous, and an obvious fraud.

Hey people! God sent me gold tablets only I and a few of my close friends can see or read! Follow me for I am a prophet...

March 24, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
    • dirkK

That kind of reasoning got the anti-Noah crowd a little damp.

March 24, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
    • Scott

I assume you do not believe in any religion, because ultimately such claims will be the foundation of it. If you want to dismiss all religion because of that, so be it. But if you are not amazed that people can believe the words of other religious figures, then you are being disingenuous or have not been fair with your critique. Just because someone lived thousands of years ago and you can't google all sorts of conflicting opinions about supposed actions of a person doesn't make that person any more of a prophet. I can't blame you for not believing Joseph Smith...it hasn't been easy for me at times. But I do expect you to be fair in your analysis and not selectively dismiss one thing and accept something else that fundamentally has the same issues involved. Anything can seem foolish if you are seeing it through a certain lens–it is often called xenophobia, ethnocentrism, simple mindedness, etc.

If you think you can get proof about a person's intentions and character on the internet, just choose your favorite political party, politician, sports team, etc., and google people's opinions and so called facts about it and you will see just how informed people are...it's madness.

March 24, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
    • knn

Your argument is a little lame. If Joseph were simply a fraud, why endure all the suffering for a lie? Why get beaten by mobs, tarred and feathered, have poison forced down your throat, spend time in prison on frivolous charges for weeks with no bathroom and ultimately be killed for your testimony of God and the message of the restored gospel. Why? Why? Why? You have to answer that question if you are an honest person.

But, among all the vitriol directed at that man, you can't explain away the Book of Mormon. It exists. You can hold it. It is only an ignorant fool who will say it's a fraud without putting it to the test. Consider this from a living apostle: "No wicked man could write such a book as this; and no good man would write it, unless it were true and he were commanded of God to do so.”

March 25, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • Estevan

No. I'm serious!

God pointed me to a tree under which I located a pair of gold tablets. I am the only one who can read them and God was quite clear that I can show them only to two close friends and no one else. I'm beginning to transcribe them into a Holy Book which will be ready in a year and a day.

At that time I expect the Lord's Chosen to follow me as I lead them to a better life in the Glory of our Creator who loves and cherishes us all. There will be doubters who will ask "so where have the gold tablets gone" and "how do we know you're not making this up" but God told me that the true faithful will follow knowing the Truth in their hearts without the need for superfluous things like proof or evidence.

All you need is a little faith...

March 26, 2011 at 4:25 am |
    • monet

Where do you get your info? You have a right not to believe but why critisize what you don't have knowledge or understanding of? It's always the iliterate that respond with idiot statements like yours. Estevan

March 26, 2011 at 8:10 am |
  7. nairb247

So here is the thing. Maybe Mormonism does have some crazy beliefs. But if you can honestly say that a guy talking to a burning bush, or a guy getting swallowed by a whale and living or a guy being thrown into a pit of starving lions and living or so many other weird stories out there that are taught in the bible then why is it so far fetched that if God wanted to do something he could do it however he wanted and if he decided to talk to a 14 year old boy and if he wanted him to get golden plates couldn't he do that? I mean he is god and he can pretty much do anything he wants. Right?

March 24, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
    • Roger

Well put indeed!

March 26, 2011 at 10:49 am |
  8. Xiaomin Feador

I don't know much about Mormons or Mormonism, except for that their missionaries seemed very aggressive to 'sell' God, ... and they told me that 'God is just like you and me, in flesh and bones, so you can see him, hear him.' ... That totally blows it. And they believe that Jesus Christ not only 'rose from the dead', but he's still alive, today, somewhere. ... My husband is scared to death that I'd be sucked into the Mormon Church, become one of them. 🙂
    But to be fair, I have met couple of Mormons, they are really nice, kind people. I told them openly that I don't mind being friends with them, but I will never become a Mormon.

March 24, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
    • Dave

Since the Bible teaches that Jesus was resurrected after being in the tomb, and that he showed himself to his disciples afterwards and actually ate with them, I don't find this to be a far-fetched teaching. If people would read the Bible, they would actually understand more about Jesus Christ.

March 25, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  9. jake

it's a 'comedy' play. get over yourselves. in an interview with the creators they said it is all in fun and they have nothing against mormons....if you cannot take a little time to laugh at yourself then you take life way too seriously.

March 24, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  10. Annalise

Make sure you get both sides of the coin. Google Mountain Meadows Massacre. Ask about D&C 32. There is another side. Truth stands up to scrutiny, and alas, the Mormon church and its history does not.

March 24, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
    • Ocss

People should turn to you for truth? I am familiar with the good fruits of the Mormon church, but what are your good fruits which I may know you by? I only see you spreading evil and hate.

March 24, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
    • Dave

Yes, google that. Then google anti-mormon mobs or the crusades. Looks like we are all sinners according to the Bible.

March 25, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • knn

The Mountain Meadows Massacre was a sad day in history. Mormons are not perfect and those who did the deed will have to answer to God. The anti-mormons would have you believe Brigham Young sanctioned their actions. A careful review of the history shows this to be impossible and the opposite to be true.

March 25, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  11. larry

book of MORON...that seems funny, should watch it.

March 24, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
    • Jason Baker

I am a mormon dentist, and have been mormon my whole life. I believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ as it was revealed to ancient prophets in the Bible and modern prophets like Joseph Smith. The Book of Mormon is scripture and has brought me closer to God and his son Jesus Christ. A word to those who want to embrace this play... It is your right. Thats fine by me, but do so knowing this is far from an innocent good time. Even if your not Mormon but are Christian this is unequivocally an attack on people who believe in Jesus Christ. An attack on all Christians. You have to know who is on the Lords side and you simply cannot embrace this or anything like unto it and call yourself a disciple of Christ. Having said that, it is within their rights to do this play. God bless America.

March 24, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  12. Rick

I've seen South Park and wonder why the creators continue to act out juvenile fantasies. The cartoon is so bad I wouldn't let my teenagers watch it. They have no respect for anyone or anything.

I guess if you can put your wares on TV it gives you the right to smack down anything and everything without regard to the truth, something truly to be proud of.

March 24, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
    • jake

yes south park is vulgar but it is hilarious why do you think it has such a big following? they make fun of EVERYONE it is awesome

March 24, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
    • Q

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions." – Thomas Jefferson

March 24, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  13. Truth

Mormons are a cult beware of them,..they make Jesus Christ God Incarnate a brother of Satan.

March 24, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • Rick

Show fact. You can't.

March 24, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
    • flutiefan

Rick: show fact there is a God. oh wait, YOU CAN'T.

March 24, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
    • Dave

Just to clarify, we do not believe in the trinity (a concept which does not appear in the Bible), but instead believe in the godhead (which does appear in the Bible). We believe Jesus is the son of God (as the Bible states). We believe we are spirit children of God (as the Bible notes). We believe Satan rebelled (as the Bible notes). You may not agree with our teachings, but I have read the Bible many times and it is consistent with our beliefs.

March 25, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Erik

Okay, but Dave, that's all correct. Does it mean that Latter Day Saints to NOT believe that Christ is spiritually the brother of Lucifer? It's just a yes or no, 'doesn't need any re-phrasing.

March 25, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
    • knn

Are not God's spirit children all brothers and sisters? Was Lucifer not the morning star fallen from heaven? Was there a spirit that was not created by God? If Lucifer is not our spiritual sibling..and Christ is our elder brother, then you need to tell me where he came from.

March 25, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Erik

Cool. Again just a try, but much closer by KNN – so Mormons do believe that Lucifer and Christ are spiritual brothers. That's no big stretch of the imagination unless you somehow believe Christ was actually God, just choosing not to be God for a few years in that particular form. Gotta go with the LDS on that one – their version makes more sense, seriously. Not sure why the haters have to beat that dead horse – has no one had children where one excelled and honored the value and another rebelled and may've even harmed his own siblings?

March 25, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • LDS_MAN

This is for all of you who seek answers to Mormonism... http://www.lds.org and here is a book that talks about the legitimacy of the Book of Mormon.... http://www.amazon.com/Book-Mormon-trial-Based-Joseph/dp/B0007FFZDK Both are filled with "Facts" enjoy!!!

April 1, 2011 at 3:23 am |
  14. Erik

We have an almost inimitable archeological record supporting the Bible. Please help me with any record that supports the BoM. (Those who would try the "it's not about proof" need not waste your time, or mine)

March 24, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • Scott

Seriously? First of all, there are plenty of unsupported assertions in the Bible from a scientific and historical standpoint, but even if that weren't the case, you can prove some people existed, but science cannot prove they were divine, inspired, the people of God, etc. Archeology cannot prove that Christ is the Son of God, that Moses spoke to God, that the Garden of Eden existed as described in the Bible, etc. The whole premise of your attack is way off base. As usual, attacks on the Book of Mormon and the church can be turned right back at the Bible and other churches as well. The truth of each can only be spiritually revealed. If your faith in the Bible is based on science and history, that faith won't last long, or you will have to make sure you never scrutinize your own beliefs. Study, ponder, pray, and live it, and the truth will be revealed.

Christ was mocked and called a devil by the ignorant and by those who stood to lose power...oops. The first Christians were mocked as a sect following a charlatan...oops. It is easy to accuse, it takes work to honestly look at one's own beliefs and assumptions while giving a fair shake to someone's sincere beliefs.

March 24, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
    • Daniel

Erik, it really isn't about proof. That said, Google "Stela 5 Izapa, Tree of Life Stone", look at the stone (discovered WELL AFTER the BoM came about) and read about Lehi's dream in 1 Nephi 8, and it's explanation in 1 Nephi 11. If that's not good enough, look up when Joseph spoke of the great American bloodshed (hint: Doctrine and Covenants 130), where he said the first shot would be fired, and what the issue would be about. Then re-read the history of the Civil War, and the location of Ft. Sumter. Pay close attention to the date of the prophecy, the date of the prophet's death, and the date of Ft. Sumter's shot. Do remember that the absence of absolute proof does not equate to non-existence. The Americas existed long before the 1400's, but to speak of them before that would have caused one to be labeled a lunatic by the experts who KNEW FOR A FACT that the world was flat.

Look at it this way, think of someone you love dearly, and know that not a single person on this planet can prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that you do love that person. Folks may be able to infer that love exists based on your behavior, but proof? Not a chance. How would you feel if someone said "your love does not exist simply because I can't prove it exists"? The same goes with faith in God and the veracity of scripture. The witness of the Holy Ghost is incredibly personal, and all I can tell you is "I know these things are true", just like all you could tell me is 'I know I love the ones I do". Neither one of us can offer proof to the other, but does that lake of proof mean that what we feel does not exist?

March 24, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
    • Daniel

"lack" not "lake". Oops

March 24, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
    • Dave

There is evidence for the Book of Mormon for those who want to find it. See information about the apostasy and restoration in the Bible. See information on writing styles in the Book of Mormon and evidence of multiple authors. Look at the parrallels between the teachings in the Bible and the Book of Mormon. Read the book "He Walked the Americas" (written by a non-LDS author at the time). Look at the discussion about Nahom in the Middle East or names such as Alma (a man's name in the middle east). etc.

March 25, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • Erik

Alright, so neither Scott nor Daniel listened. But thanks anyway.

March 25, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • Erik

Dave, thanks, much appreciated. Looks like I can get a copy pretty easily, it looks intriguing. But still, a reference to an archeological source to support would've been nice. Since Biblical artifacts have actually been carbon-dated accurately enough to coincide with the Biblical chronological record. For Brothers Daniel and Scott, not a faith-issue, just asking for whatcha had since there is a lot elsewhere to support The Holy Bible, be it ruins, materials, weapons, crypts, scrolls, inscriptions ...

March 25, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • knn

Eric, this reminds me of the common argument, "Show me the gold plates and then I'll believe." Faith in something not seen is ESSENTIAL to spiritual progression. The power of the influence of the Holy Ghost is stronger than seeing "proof" and I wouldn't know the Book of Mormon is true any more if I could look at the plates than I do now. With that said, there are 11 witnesses who did see the plates; their witness is included in the preface to the Book of Mormon. Though some of those men apostatized, none denied seeing the plates.

March 25, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Erik

Thanks KNN, but again, you offered something that was the exact opposite of what I'd asked for – specifically recommended not wasting your or my time. I personally have no interest in the plates themselves, just trying to figure out where all those cities and foundries were. Simple question. Not sure why no one can answer it.

March 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • Daniel

Funny, Erik. I guess you didn't google "Stella 5 Izapa" like I asked. Not so sure I'm the one not listening here.

March 25, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
    • Erik

No Daniel, I did. There are many claims made by the church, but some are refutted simply by looking at the carved images. It was intriguing though, I do appreciate the lead.

March 26, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • LDS_MAN

Eric, I do beleive this is what you are looking for..... http://www.amazon.com/Book-Mormon-trial-Based-Joseph/dp/B0007FFZDK

April 1, 2011 at 3:18 am |
  15. True Blue

As someone who served a mission and has read the Book of Mormon about 20 times cover to cover, I just wanted to say I love it! It truly has taught me about Christ and complements the Bible perfectly. I know it is scripture. I fell away from the church for sometime. I was miserable, sad and lonely. I prayed one night and asked God to help me find happiness. He told me to read the Book of Mormon. I did, and it has made all the difference! I have found true happiness. I have a wonderful wife and two little, but wonderful boys. I'm currently in medical school, loving that as well. But more than anything I love Christ! Read the Book of Mormon if you want true happiness. One of my favorite scriptures, "fools mock, but they will mourn." It makes me sad that so many people are willing to ridicule a book without ever reading it!

March 24, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
    • Jason Baker

NIce true blue. I feel the same. Thanks

March 24, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
    • flutiefan

He "told" you? when? how?

March 24, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
    • Jason Baker

Flutie Fan you are sounding more and more interested in what the missionaries teach. I'm sure they would love to teach you how to speak to your heavenly Father.

March 24, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
    • flutiefan

oh honey, now.
      i was just wondering: was it on voicemail? an answering machine message? did he sit next to you at the movies? i mean, come on. no one "told" him/her anything.

March 24, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
    • LDS_MAN

So flutiefan, Are you saying God doesnt speak to man?

April 1, 2011 at 3:08 am |
    • LDS_MAN

1 Corinthians 2:14 (King James Version)

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

April 1, 2011 at 3:09 am |
    • Maybe

LDS_MAN

" Are you saying God doesnt speak to man?"

Oh, yes... we hear about it several times a year, when "God" speaks to moms and dads and tells them to kill their children; and to some serial killers, who 'he' tells to kill prost.itutes. Would you like a list?

April 1, 2011 at 3:27 am |
  16. blessedgeek

LDG – Church of the Latter Day Geek. Perhaps, monastery or temple of latter day geek would sound better?

March 24, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  17. JohnL

Joseph found another set of golden tablets? A second woman destroyed the second version? Implying that downtown Salt Lake City has polygamist compounds? sigh.

March 24, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
    • Jason Baker

Untrue! When Joseph Smith had possession of the Gold plates it was 1824-1827 ish. Salt Lake city did not exist until 1847 when Brigham Young led the small number of original members across the western front away from religious persecution.Do you not have anything bette to do than tear down the faith of people?

March 24, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
    • JohnL

@Jason Baker why do you think I sighed?

March 24, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
    • Jason Baker

my bad John L!

March 24, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
    • LDS_MAN

Ignorance is bliss

April 1, 2011 at 3:04 am |
  18. Jason Baker

March 24, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
    • haha

"I am a mormon dentist"

LOL

March 24, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
    • Mark

I agree, this is an attack to ALL OF US CHRISTIANS! I'm Catholic but am active and speak to Mormom missionaries quite often,m they are genuinely really good people, even though I',m not part of their church, I am on their side. This is an attack to not only Mormons but to all of us Christians. This show, play whatever you want to call it is a disgrace and should be banned.

March 24, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
    • Jason Baker

Haha, What do you do for a living? Not an attack but whats to laugh at? I have been priviledged to have a great education and job. You have never been to a dentist? If so you could probably use a check up.

March 24, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
    • Really??

Why describe yourself as "Mormon Dentist". Does that make you a theological expert. Hardly. So you are educated, lots of us are. True sign of a fully developed, enlightened person is that they don't flaunt their gifts. Says volumes about you.

March 24, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
    • P

I am a satanic plumber – and have been my whole life....

March 24, 2011 at 11:31 pm |
    • Mike in NJ

Yes, because Christians are in imminent danger of being wiped out entirely. Thank goodness people are coming to the defense of an underprivileged and impoverished group like Christians. The persecutions they endure are manifold. The Gays and the Abortionists and the Evolutionists – Fie on all of you!

March 25, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • jkmrmn

I'm sorry, everyone is so quick to say who is and who isn't going to hell, gee silly me thought God would decide that on Judgement day, oh I must have missed Judgement day when I was watching the Book of Mormon play.

March 30, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
    • LDS_MAN

Amen Brother

April 1, 2011 at 3:00 am |
  19. JOHN Gilbert

As an ex Catholic and one who studied to be a Priest I found truth and fulfillment in the Book of Morman. The teachings made sense to me and I understood why the teaching s were true. If someone wants to make fun of someone's faith that is up to them . I am at peace with my conversion and I have a blended family of 6 wonderful children and a son who just returned tom Taiwan and who really has inspired me. I would rather read the Bible and The Book of Morman than go see a musical that makes fun of my beliefs.

March 24, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
    • flutiefan

perhaps you should learn to properly spell the name of your new religion first, before you espouse how great it is. it makes you sound ignorant.
      MORMON not "Morman".

March 24, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
    • johnpaul

how many alter boys have you molested?

March 24, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
    • Mdt

The person John Gilbert who left not just the Catholic Church but who abandons Christ Himself is materially an apostate. He is formally an apostate through willful, and therefore culpable, repudiation of the Christian faith. And worse of all, he was going to be a Catholic Priest, what is waiting for John Gilbert is a very special place in hell, where he will meet Judas, the man who betrayed Christ himself.

March 24, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
    • P

Wait, wait, don't be so hasty. Maybe he meant "Merman". It makes much more sense to worship the amphibious Master of the Universe.

March 24, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
    • jamesMarshamelski

truth no.
      fulfillment I believe.
      so many people confuse these two concepts.

March 25, 2011 at 12:11 am |
    • glenn

The Catholic Church has been under attack for centuries – from within and from outside. The pervert priests are tools of the devil. Likewise, on a larger scale, the Mormon Church is an attack on Christianity. There is NO trinity in Mormonism. There are NO crosses on a Mormon Church. I rest my case....even with the devils persistence, the Catholic Church remains true to being a Christian Church, based on the trinity –

March 28, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Rachel

March 24, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
    • Jason Baker

Thanks Rachel. Great website.

March 24, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
    • Estevan

Great fiction in there!

March 24, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
    • Dave

Estevan- the opinion of a stranger. Something my parents warned me about!

March 25, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • John

Google http://www.moron.org and it will ask if you meant http://www.mormon.org. See, they go hand in hand.

March 25, 2011 at 2:02 pm |