home
RSS
April 11th, 2011

Leading atheist publishes secular Bible

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

The question arose early in British academic A.C. Grayling’s career: What if those ancient compilers who’d made Bibles, the collected religious texts that were translated, edited, arranged and published en masse, had focused instead on assembling the non-religious teachings of civilization’s greatest thinkers?

What if the book that billions have turned to for ethical guidance wasn’t tied to commandments from God or any one particular tradition but instead included the writings of Aristotle, the reflections of Confucius, the poetry of Baudelaire? What would that book look like, and what would it mean?

Decades after he started asking such questions, what Grayling calls “a lifetime’s work” has hit bookshelves. “The Good Book: A Humanist Bible,” subtitled “A Secular Bible” in the United Kingdom, was published this month. Grayling crafted it by using more than a thousand texts representing several hundred authors, collections and traditions.

The Bible would have been “a very different book and may have produced a very different history for mankind,” had it drawn on the work of philosophers and writers as opposed to prophets and apostles, says Grayling, a philosopher and professor at Birkbeck College, University of London, who is an atheist.

“Humanist ethics didn’t claim to be derived from a deity," he says. "(They) tended to start from a sympathetic understanding of human nature and accept that there’s a responsibility that each individual has to work out the values they live by and especially to recognize that the best of our good lives revolve around having good relationships with people.”

Humanists rely on human reason as an alternative to religion or belief in God in attempting to find meaning and purpose in life.

Determined to make his material accessible, Grayling arranged his nearly 600-page "Good Book" much like the Bible, with double columns, chapters (the first is even called Genesis) and short verses. And much like the best-selling King James Bible, which is celebrating its 400th year, his book is written in a type of English that transcends time.

Like the Bible, "The Good Book," opens with a garden scene. But instead of Adam and Eve, Grayling's Genesis invokes Isaac Newton, the British scientist who pioneered the study of gravity.

"It was from the fall of fruit from such a tree that new inspiration came for inquiry into the nature of things," reads a verse from "The Good Book's" first chapter.

"When Newton sat in his garden, and saw what no one had seen before: that an apple draws the earth to itself, and the earth the apple," the verse continues, "Through a mutual force of nature that holds all things, from the planets to the stars, in unifying embrace."

The book's final chapter features a secular humanist version of the Ten Commandments: "Love well, seek the good in all things, harm no others, think for yourself, take responsibility, respect nature, do your utmost, be informed, be kind, be courageous: at least, sincerely try."

Grayling, reached Friday at a New York hotel just as he began his U.S. book tour, has been dubbed by some a “velvet atheist” or an “acceptable face of atheism,” he says, in contrast to more stridently anti-religious writers like Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins, both of whom he counts as friends.

In other contexts, Grayling - who will soon take over as president of the British Humanist Association - admits he’s written critically about religion. But not in "The Good Book."

“It’s not part of a quarrel,” he says of his latest work. “It’s a modest offering… another contribution to the conversation that mankind must have with itself,” and one he says he wrote for everyone, Bible lovers included.

Given where society is today, inviting that conversation is all the more important, he says.

More than 16% of Americans say they are unaffiliated religiously, according to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. Even so, Grayling says the hunger for a spiritual connection continues. That yearning, he argues , can be satisfied for many by taking a walk in the country, curling up with a beautiful book of poetry or even in falling in love.

“In all different ways, we can celebrate the good in the world,” he says.

While many intellectual traditions – religious and otherwise – teach that there’s “one right way to live,” Grayling says he hopes “The Good Book” will encourage people to “go beyond your teachers, your text” to understand that “we have to respect and relate to one another.”

Early sales indicate that people are open to what this new "Bible" teaches. On Monday, Grayling’s book was number 41 on Amazon’s UK bestseller list and number 1 in the philosophy and spirituality categories.

- CNN Writer/Producer

Filed under: Atheism • Bible • Books • Culture & Science • Ethics

soundoff (3,021 Responses)
  1. msadr

I can't stop laughing! This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Blind leading the blind, without giving any reason why the blind should follow! Hysterical!

April 11, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
  2. peter gibson

The Bible already teaches this–man will try his best to govern himself. Through varous types of government, trying to write a combined-philosopher bible, etc. In the end, man will realize that only God has the truth and man can not govern himself. That's pretty much what's been going on for the past few thousand years. Every since Adam and Eve thought they new best. Now this guy has a new bible idea. In the end all will fail, and will realize God is the only true answer.

April 11, 2011 at 11:44 pm |
  3. perhaps

If a murderer, rapist, or child molester accepts Christ as his savior, does he get to spend eternity with the rest of you Christians or do they get put in a different part of heaven? I mean, if they're sincere as many are when they accept Jesus into their hearts... I'm just wondering...

April 11, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
    • ttwp

And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Matthew 12:31

April 11, 2011 at 11:51 pm |
    • Bill

To ttwp:
      So if someone murders a child but later accepts god that is alright. But if someone save a kid from a murderer but denies god, that person should burn in hell. Very nice ethical code! Good that we do not practice it.

April 12, 2011 at 12:05 am |
    • ttwp

@ Bill: I see you no nothing of God's grace. Once you understand it...it is truly amazing. That the sinful can and have been justified by Christ's death. For he came and gave His life as a ransom for many.

April 12, 2011 at 12:21 am |
  4. Satan

It's good to know that all of the child-molesting priests will be up in heaven molesting innocent boys. I'd rather be in Hell away from them. According to you bible thumpers as long as the priests ask for forgiveness and admit their sins to God they will live eternally. What you don't understand is that Satan is the true God and Hell is a much nicer place than Heaven. The Bible and God have done an excellent job of covering that up.

April 11, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
  5. Reality

from: us.geocities

"The allegation is sometimes made that Hitler was a Catholic – a Christian until the day he died. This claim is based upon the fact that Hitler was born and raised in a Catholic family.

However, as an adult, Hitler specifically rejected the Catholic Church, as well as Christianity in general. He described himself as "a complete pagan".

The book Hitler's Secret Conversations: 1941-1944, published by Farrar, Straus and Young, Inc. (1953), contains definitive proof of Hitler's real views. The book was published in Britain under the t-itle, Hitler's Table Talk: 1941-1944, which ti-tle was used for the Oxford University Press paperback edition in the United States.

Some excerpts:

All of these are quotes from Adolf Hitler:

Night of 11th-12th July, 1941:
    "National Socialism and religion cannot exist together.... The heaviest blow that ever struck humanity was the coming of Christianity. Bolshevism is Christianity's illegitimate child. Both are inventions of the Jew. The deliberate lie in the matter of religion was introduced into the world by Christianity.... Let it not be said that Christianity brought man the life of the soul, for that evolution was in the natural order of things. (p 6 & 7) "

10th October, 1941, midday:

"Christianity is a rebellion against natural law, a protest against nature. Taken to its logical extreme, Christianity would mean the systematic cultivation of the human failure. (p 43)"

April 11, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  6. clint

Nobody knows if there is a god or an afterlife. I doubt there is because i use my brain but my brain also tells me that in a universe full of possibilities you can't really rule anything out. Evolution is basicaly proven and most religions are just clinging to the shreds of doubt that are still left. THINK FOR YOURSELVES. That should've been a comandment along time ago.

April 11, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
  7. Dorothy

Wow, the comments here are so wild. Most don't what a Christian, even some that profess to be Christian. Lots of people call themselves Christians, but don't really know what a Christian really is. Have you ever wondered why the Bible is the number 1 book sold in the world, or why people don't believe God became a man called Jesus. Not logical, huh? Of course it's not logical is it. Oh, by the way, I have not seen one ape/monkey give birth to a human or vice versa. Now, how did the big bang happen? God said it and Bang there it was..

April 11, 2011 at 11:31 pm |
    • ScarletteBlues

You obviously haven't caught up in your evolutionary biology. The discovery of the gene is an amazing thing.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK3O6KYPmEw&w=640&h=360]

April 11, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
    • Armitage

@Dorothy:" Have you ever wondered why the Bible is the number 1 book sold in the world,"

Because churches buy them in bulk, skewing the sales figures. Particularly the Gideons, who leave them in hotel rooms all over the world.

April 12, 2011 at 12:01 am |
    • Aasim Soomro

@Armitage

God created genes and he controls every quark that exists in the universe.
      So what humans and monkeys share 99% of their genome. That doesn't mean God doesn't exist. God could have used monkey genes to create humans.

April 12, 2011 at 12:02 am |
    • Pastafarians unite

You seem to be confusing evolution with belief. Now, I do not believe that evolution is a topic of discussion relevant to a belief blog, since it is not a belief, but a scientific theory, but I would like to briefly clear something up (I'll keep it brief since its a blog message, but feel free to look up more on your own). You state "I have not seen one ape/monkey give birth to a human or vice versa." The humans came from apes idea is not evolution... The idea that humans and apes share a common ancestor is. Evolution is not suggesting that an ape gave birth to a human, rather is is suggesting that humans and apes are extremely distant cousins (think of it along the lines of the humans and apes having the same great great (great times a trillion) grandparents).

Now if you allow me to go a little further off topic, hypothetically, if a human female is artificially inseminated with ape semen (or visa versa) a hybrid could be born, like how a coupling of a donkey and horse would make a mule, a coupling of a horse and a zebra would make a zorse, and the coupling of a camel and a llama would be a cama. The reason why this has and will remain a hypothesis and not tested is mainly ethics.

April 12, 2011 at 12:44 am |
  8. someone

As I see it, if you believe in anything at all it is your religion. That would include atheism.

April 11, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
    • Bill

That comment is really stupid. One needs to believe the facts! Observable and measurable and reproducible facts. If I could observe God and I could reproducibly demonstrate that he does something, I would likely believe in God. But there is no evidence. Only faith. When you buy a used car, you check it out. You don't just believe the seller that it has all parts and it runs. You need the evidence. Carl Sagan once said that extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence. Since nobody has seen or found evidence of God for thousands of years, why should I belie he exists. It's like the car seller tells you that he has a car for you that does not need any gas, it runs on empty tank. Do you believe it? I doubt. You want to check it out. Now what is claimed for God's abilities is million times stronger than a car running without gas. Yet billions of people believe it. But where is at least a tiny evidence?

April 11, 2011 at 11:47 pm |
    • Aasim Soomro

Dear Bill

Here's some extraordinary evidence:

April 11, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
  9. William Hopper

Already ordered a copy. (Also, see http://www.heathensguide.com for more)

April 11, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  10. Jeff

Is it the Truth?

April 11, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
  11. MIKE

Oh how ironic that he should use Isaac Newton in his first chosen essay. Get it, ISAAC!!!!!!!!!, from the book of Genesis, the son of Abraham. Isaac Newton, who said "I have a fundamental belief in the Bible as the word of God" My what interesting defenders atheist chose for their spokesman.

April 11, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
    • IkanThink

So, you know Sir Isaac Newton was an anti-trinitarian, right? He kept it quiet because it was not and still is not the "right" point of view since the Nicean Council. So, your version must dub him WRONG AND HELL-BENT!

April 11, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
    • Cantard

Issac Newton was used for his observation based scientific discoveries and achievements. Though you posted his statement concerning God, how many of Newton's religious works are taught in Sunday school? Did you also note that Newton was an alchemist and believed in the philosopers stone? Of course not. Because that would undermine your point.

April 11, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
  12. dao

How does ad hominem prove or disprove the existence a higher power?

April 11, 2011 at 11:03 pm |
  13. OhReligion

Perhaps ethics and morals are simply characteristics society lives by because it grants our species the best gains. If we all fought, killed, stole, cheated, and cared only for ourselves; would Humans (as an animal among animals) make it very far? No, we would self destruct. The type of self destruction you see as a result of decisions based on fears of God.

I will say I don't believe in a god. However I'm no Atheist. I take in a lot of view points, I enjoy a discussion, and I certainly don't have the answers to questions like, "How was the very first particle created?" I do however accept that fear, and humanized systems dominate religion. It's amazing that we have minds capable of complex thoughts, even to the point of realizing we are mortal, will die, and will cease to experience this awesome life. To help pacify this fear we take comfort in thoughts of lives after these one, believing in things that make no logical sense (faith), and surrounding ourselves with others that feel and do the same. Now I say I'm not Atheist because I still keep an open mind, I don't blindly reject the possibility of a god, or creative beings, or some kind of (as of date) scientifically impossible reason for our existence. It's frustrating to watch people on both sides of this issue, blindly holding their ground, "There is a God and nothing you say will change my mind, it's written on paper and paper is fact always!," vs, "There is no God, and nothing you say can prove their is one, your stupid book is simply man made fiction written on paper, go ahead and prove me otherwise."

Do I have morals? You're damned right! I want to get along, I want to be kind, I choose honesty, and I try to be generous and fair. I do these things because I'm selfish and it makes my life easier. I want to see humans last a while. I have animal instincts that say I should assist in the growth of our species and those tactics have had good results for me.

If I die and it turns out I'm a crack job and a guy points his finger at me and laughs I will get educated quickly. If I'm right and I die, well I'm not going to know the difference am I. Hopefully I will have contributed things that will be somehow beneficial. I'm not fearful of death, of a life after this, or simply an end, I'm fearful that the time I'm spending here is being wasted. If there is no God, is what we have on this Earth any less spectacular?

I could go on for hours, as I'm sure many of you could. Hopefully I didn't offend anyone too bad, these are difficult and somewhat disturbing concepts to consider if you've lived your life thinking things are facts and then questioning them. Believe me, I was raised under stringent religious guidelines, church every Sunday, and every other thing that goes along with growing up in a very active Latter Day Saint (Mormon) family. It was scary to consider that what I was taught from infancy was possibly the result of fear, greed, and power.

April 11, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
    • Aaron

very well put. thank you for being the SOLE contributor to this discussion instead of being a hate monger. you are the kind of person who WILL get into heaven in my opinion. for what its worth to you hahahaha

April 11, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
    • Bill

Good points, and I think you are basically an atheist.

April 11, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
    • Someone

OhReligion,

Great post.

One quibble: you said, "I will say I don't believe in a god. However I'm no Atheist." The definition of the word, 'Atheism' comes from 'a' = without, and 'theism' = belief in a god or gods. Period/Full Stop.

There may be some 'hard Atheists' who declare that there is absolutely no possibility of the existence of a god or gods; but most merely say that there is no evidence for a god or gods and therefore do not believe in them.

April 11, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
    • ScarletteBlues

Atheist= one who holds no belief in god. it's a simple definition. The people you are describing are militant atheists. You seem to subscribe more toward the humanistic side of atheism.

April 11, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
    • Aasim Soomro

Good post. We need more tolerant people like you who understand both sides of the equation.

April 11, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
    • RUSerious

Great post. I do agree with the previous that you are still athiest, just a huminist one. I parrallel your sentiments and hope one day the world can be more huminist in its base and be better to each other on our own accord and not just because a man in the sky told us to or we will burn. There is so much more meaning to selflessness when you aren't doing it in fear of eternal hell fire and damnation. That , to me, is more selfishness than anything. "I will be good so I dont have to be burned (how can your spirit feel a physical pain is also a brain tickler) for eternity"
      Keep on keepin on, my good man

April 12, 2011 at 12:06 am |
    • OhReligion

Well on the point of my belief in god squarely labeling me as an Atheist, I'll have to agree with what was replied. I was intending to highlight my disapproval for outright rejection of possibilities that are impossible to prove one way or the other. I tend to describe myself as an Agnostic, which conveniently lands me in the position of, "an enemy of my enemy is my friend," by the Theist and Atheist camps. It may be thought that my fence sitting is weak rather than open minded but that's fine by me.

I feel that those who are caught up in complete conviction one way or the other are unwilling to recognize the true depth of the issue. Is it any more difficult to imagine that this existence was not created by an invisible super power? At the same time, is it any more amazing to think that perhaps a super power created what would otherwise have been created from nothing?

I know this whole argument goes the route of circular logic in a hurry, but to me it identifies that the issue is just beyond my comprehension. For this reason I refuse to draw a hard line. My experiences and my current thought process allow me to see some frightening things in religion. The hypocrisy is pretty disheartening. The fact that organized religion puts people in a position where they can play on the deepest rooted fears a human can have, then capitalize on those fears, is just scary. Yet, billions of people find comfort in the thoughts that there is more, so maybe it’s worth it. And in the end, like I said before, if the theists are wrong and the atheists are right, none of you will know the difference. If the theists are right and the atheists are wrong, I hope the vengeful and selfish god portrayed in the Old Testament was simply a side effect of early developmental story telling (ie, bad writing).

People are killed for dirt all over the world, disasters strike and children starve to death in horrible agony. How could anyone or anything; let alone an omnipotent being that could has the power to change it all with a simple thought, ignore these atrocities? I’m not sure I would want to be around that sort of, “Life is a test,” mad scientist for 15 minutes, let alone an eternity (which I also cannot comprehend).

Anyway, it’s been enjoyable reading through a lot of these posts, I bet someone with a decent physiological degree gets a kick out of the responses.
      Take care everyone, maybe we can go a day without killing each other over unproven philosophies and theologies. After all, some of us feel that this is all we’ve got, so we’ll fight hard to protect every last drop of life we’ve got.

April 12, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
    • OhReligion

Psychology not physiology *

ugh, should have proof read better

April 12, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
  14. WOLFMAN

IM NOT IMPRESSSED THIS GUY KNOWS NOT GOD, AMEN IS MAGIK POWER FROM THEE THRONE ILL CHECK HIS SOUL THIS GUY WHO LIKES TOOO RIGHT AS IF HE KNOWS GOD HE DOESNT JUST USING HIS IMAGINATION WITH NO SENSSE OF REALITY . ILL CONFRONT HIM SOOOOOOOOON I LURK NEAR HIM NOW NEAR NEAR I ROAM I SHALL SHANK HIM IF HE IS A HOLOGRAM FAKE PHONEY I FIND OUT WHERE HE IS AHHHH THERE I KNOW EXACTLY WHERE THIS GUY IS SHHHH I TASTE HIS SOUL AND ILL BE THRERE FOR AWHILELURKING WAITING FOR ME TOOO POSESSES HIM IF HE INSULTS AMEN AND JESUS ILLL CHOP HIS HEAD AND FEED HIM TO KRAKEN GRENDEL

April 11, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
    • Al

totally reasonable.

April 11, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
    • clint

You must be reading the Catcher in the Rye. KILL THE PHONEYS!!!!!!

April 11, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  15. jasim

its for confused people who might be struggling to find their purpose of life...nothing wrong with it except the first commandment alone has about ten more in it. This book is trying too much and too hard and likely flawed

April 11, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  16. Jesus Cristo

What we should do is stop supporting KKKristians schools with government money...

April 11, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
    • ab_contador

I couldnt agree more – and they should be taxing churches. Churches are already a huge waste of resources and space.

April 11, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
  17. Rick

Keep praying religious morons. Your prayers are going unheard. God's busy making breasts larger, marijuana stronger, and home televisions bigger. Probably the only things that retard has ever done right.

April 11, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
    • Al

nice

April 11, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
    • Brian

I'll pray for you... Jesus IS real and if you don't repent of your sins and ask Him to save you... you'll be in hell with the rest of the people that reject God's salvation.

April 11, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
    • ab_contador

Grow up Brian, people like you are scary and the reason I cannot stand religion and religious people.

April 11, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
    • RUSerious

Good job Brian. Point out how merciful and loving your god is that he is going to burn people in eternal fire for not believing in him. Keep that up champ, more are bound to follow...

I have been touched by the one and only true creator, the Flying Spaghetti Monster! He has touched me with his noodly appendage and I have felt the healing powers of his meaty sauce. You should convert, we have pirates.

April 11, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
  18. beelzebubba

I hear he wanders through the wilderness in his white robes, Glenn Beck is going to publish his version of the bible. Many of his followers already believe America is the white horse of the Epoxy-lips, slavery is condoned by the new testament, interracial marriage is not. I can't wait to see how he plans to top all that. Dog bless Glenn. He wants to save us all. The millions he makes selling books to gullible followers has nothing to do with it. We can't expect him to sell them at cost. Jesus $aves and so should Glenn.

April 11, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  19. Dorothy

Salvation is free. Some of you need to do alot of studying, like world history, the origins of the world religons, the Torah, the Bible in the Greek, Latin, Hebrew, Aramaic, the different translations. Evolution is a joke and not scientific at all, there is no proof, just a guesstimation all dressed up in a theory gone wild and wilder, in fact it is an incredible theory. Now, what's an Atheist, does he/she have infinite knowledge that there is no God?

April 11, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
    • ColdestWinter

There is plenty of proof for evolution but none for (or against) God. Atheists don't (or shouldn't) make that claim that God doesn't exist. They make the claim that based upon their few of the world around they don't believe God exists. Fact vs. observation opinions.

April 11, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
    • Rick

No proof? Hey Dorothy, do you know why we have a tailbone? Do you know why we get goosebumps? These are useless traits that we inherited from our ancestors.

April 11, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
    • Chuck

Do you know how much physical evidence any religion has in this world? ZERO. There is not one piece of physical evidence that gives anyone any proof that there's a deity of any sort. You try to sound intelligent in your remark and fail to bring up something as obvious as that. Hey, you killed a man, and everyone should believe it. Why? Well I don't have any proof, but if I tell a little kid growing up that you killed him, that little kid will believe it. Religion is nothing but psychology for so many people. Parents raising kids that way, people turning to a deity when they have nothing to lose and then believing he had something to do with them somehow getting better. It's all psychology. Just for more record, there's thousands and thousands of pieces of physical evidence of evolution, should try reading a non-fiction book now and then.

April 11, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
    • Bill

Dorothy: Do you have infinite knowledge of God? I think nobody has any knowledge of God. Nobody knows anything about God because it's all human fiction. There is no proof at all that God exist. Have you or anyone seen God? Has anybody ever talked to God? Nop! But there is some evidence that evolution exists. What about anitbiotics? Why do you need anitibiotics when you are sick? And why do you need to change antibiotics? Because bacteria evolve and become resistant to antibiotics! Yet, if you had a bad infection, antibiotics can save you but not God. And guess what: antibiotics is based on evolution. But you're welcome to pray instead of taking medicine.

April 11, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
    • ttwp

There's plenty of evidence that God exists, if only one would open their heart.

The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools...

Creation screams God's design and glory, but men choose to believe otherwise because their hearts are darkened.

April 11, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
    • Bill

ttwp
      You have no idea what "evidence" means. Your words that your heart knows God is not evidence. Something like this is not accepted in court for example at a murder trial. Simply one needs physical evidence. Sorry, but nobody has ever shown any!

April 11, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
    • kinda off topic for belief blog

My apologies that this is off topic for a belief blog (since it is not related to a belief) but just have to point out that evolution is not just a theory, but a scientific one... kinda like how gravity is a scientific theory. Now lets take your sentence, and put another theory in place of evolution:

"'Gravity' is a joke and not scientific at all, there is no proof, just a guesstimation all dressed up in a theory gone wild and wilder, in fact it is an incredible theory."

Now your sentence seems fairly absurd, wouldn't you agree?

April 12, 2011 at 12:08 am |
    • ttwp

@ Bill: The universe has not always existed, surely you know this. One can see evidence of the Creator all around. Creation didn't just happen. Just as a painting doesn't just happen, but a painter creates it....he.she designs it. Also, life comes from life. Life does not come from non-life. That is why Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life." God is the life giver and sustainer.

April 12, 2011 at 12:14 am |
    • Pastafarians unite

I agree with ttwp... I opened my heart and was touched by His noodly appendage. He who boiled for our sins so we may emancipate ourselves from our mental slavery. Pastafarianism is the path to true fulfillness, never hunger again. Eat of thine pasta and be wise.

R'amen

April 12, 2011 at 12:18 am |
    • ttwp

@Pastafarians unite: Why would you mock God's love for you shown in Christ? I see you prefer your darkness. I speak the word of God to those who will listen respectfully, but I see you reject it and do not consider yourself worthy of eternal life.

April 12, 2011 at 12:27 am |
    • Pastafarians unite

ttwp,
      How dare you claim I reject my creator and do not consider myself worthy of eternal life. You apparently subscribe to the belief system of christianity, I do not. However, this is not a Christian blog, it is the belief blog, which is why I feel free to profess my love to my creator, FSM. I fully accept Him into my life. Don't knock it until you try it.

April 12, 2011 at 12:53 am |
  20. ColdestWinter

You know what's remarkable? That the believers don't even really believe. If a prominent preacher or religious person sat down and wrote a book and told them that God had spoke to him and told him to give this message to the people for it is the word of God they would have him committed. We put people in prison for murdering kids when they said they did it in the name of God. Why? Maybe God did tell him to kill some little kids and we are punishing people for perfoming Gods work. It's obvious God isn't above ordering or causing the death of children didn't he off some Egyptians kids? We have people determined to be clinically insane if they say God speaks to them but ONLY if the person isn't hearing what the general majority thinks God would be saying.

April 11, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
    • Jim

Yes, if we only followed those great humanist....

Aristotle- – argued in his Politics (VII.16) that killing children was essential to the functioning of society. He wrote:

“There must be a law that no imperfect or maimed child shall be brought up. And to avoid an excess in population, some children must be exposed [i.e. thrown on the trash heap or left out in the woods to die]. For a limit must be fixed to the population of the state.”

Liberty, and respect for life is attributed to the idea that man is created with an ability to understand the Devine, for democracies, we owe Judaism and the Hebrew Bible an infinite level of debt.... independent of whether you believe that there is a God. Otherwise we might be living and following a Spartan or in a more mild Aristotle world. Hope you had no imperfections as a child... or simply that the human quota was yet not exceeded.

April 11, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
    • Daniel Gutierrez

I do not need the sunlight more; I have now, a big flashlight. I do not need any god more , I made my own god . I do not need The Bible more; I have a original real bible by some else. I am very smart ! I am original, like to some else. I am the man!

April 11, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
    • Daniel Gutierrez

I do not need the sunlight more; I have now, a big flashlight. I do not need any god more , I made my own god . I do not need The Bible more; I have a original real bible by someone else. I am very smart ! I am original, like to someone else. I am the man!

April 11, 2011 at 11:51 pm |
    • markjuliansmith

@Jim There is no human text which endeavors to inform the nature of a better society which does not have some text which some if not most would agree was barbaric.

This does not mean all the textual constructs created to inform better behavior towards other cannot be gleaned from such texts.

If we can create a bible which includes the best of each human text and informs the new generations to enable the maximum independence of other rather than self and this ‘new’ bible attempts to do that by taking the best of what Aristotle and others have written is this not of benefit to humanity?

The point is what is being attempted here, and I have promoted, is the rewriting of major religious and secular texts to rid ourselves of the vilification, justified ‘grevious harm’ and discrimination against other, particularly women.

‘New’ Bible with the best of humanity rather than inclusive of the worst – Terrible no – keeping religious text unamended – Terrible yes.

April 11, 2011 at 11:54 pm |