April 11th, 2011

Should Christians tithe?

A survey released last week from the National Association of Evangelicals found most of their  leaders don't believe tithing is a biblical requirement for Christians.

Tithing refers to the tradition of giving ten percent of one's earnings to a church.  CNN's T.J. Holmes talked with NAE President Leith Anderson and Pastor Brian Kluth about the practice and the new survey.

Read more about the survey results.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Church • Money & Faith • Uncategorized

1. hope

I hope that the A-theists out there don't mind, but there are many of us that are praying for you. Praying that something will open your eyes so that you can see more clearly about what you are saying. All of us will have to answer for the things that we have said and done in this life, and there is only one thing that can chage the outcome for us, and that is forgiveness. It is offered to us freely, but it has to be accepted in order to work.

April 13, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
    • Artist

Hope, interesting my eyes were closed when I was a christian. I have since openned them and life is better. Please do not pray for me, I do not want my eyes closed again and living in the darkness of christianity.

April 13, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
    • Ryan

Artist, we know you will hate it; but we will pray anyway. Because we care more for what happens to you in the long run than we care for you having a better life now. On average, a long life is about 80 years. That's not a long time. Just ask yourself these question honestly: What if there is a God? Can you prove beyond the slightest doubt that there is not? And if there is, what do you do with that?

April 21, 2011 at 9:33 am |
  2. jeebs

Perhaps there should be an "Athiest" belief blog that all of us that actually believe in something (other than ourselves) can go to. That way, the athiests can continue thier take over of this blog and give us a place to talk without being hated continually for everything.

April 13, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
  3. Apostle Eric vonAnderseck

What is the lie that most Christians believe? Find out how Satan deceptively keeps the church hypnotized! Are you in is snare? Christian teaching that will set you free! http://apostlestoday.net/

April 13, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  4. Searcher

It's almost amazing how much hate comes out in a discussion of Christianity. Just a point or two. 1. No one pays more taxes because someone else pays less. There is no certain amount the government needs so that everyone should pay their fair share. There is only how much they can steal from you versus how much you can keep them from stealing. 2. If the non-believers are wrong, then what a target for temptation religious leaders must be. That's not an excuse but only a possible explanation. 3. People who put their faith in reason most often go on to argue that there is no reason, but only cause and effect, or the "neutron dance" of some sort of probability matrix. The existence of reason actually involves the acceptance of something super-natural about existence. If there is nothing of pure creation in making a decision, for example; if decision making is purely a matter of arrangement of the inputs, then the argumentation of the non-believer is only something inevitable, like a stone lying on the side of a hill that slowly becomes unstable because of the diurnal heating and cooling cycle, then rolling down the hill. Sound and fury, signifying nothing.

April 13, 2011 at 9:35 am |
  5. Hardpill

Let the church going christians decide. No business of no-ba11s-cnn/ a-thei-st mo-rons suggesting who should or should not.

April 13, 2011 at 1:12 am |
  6. Doc Vestibule

"Bob" Dobbs asks only a one time investment of $30 and his church offers eternal salvation or triple your money back!

April 12, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • Jordan

Will the church triple my money back if I invest $250,000?

April 13, 2011 at 1:09 am |
  7. BilCat

Yo society – God doesn't need our money – He's told me so (through prayer). He does want our hearts and minds. He is our Father in Heaven, Jesus being His only begotten son in the flesh is our brother. The spirits which gives our bodies locomotion are the children of our Heavenly Father. Our mortal parents create our bodies and Heavenly Father sends another of His spirit children to inhabit the body. Since we are all children of God He loves us so much that He was willing to let His only begotten son in the flesh – Jesus – to take our sins upon Him, offering to pay the penalties for our errors (sins).

Because of His love for us Jesus was willing to do this so we might have the chance to return home to our Father in Heaven when our physical bodies die. Shouldn't we follow His example and show love and respect to our brothers and sisters on this earth, help them whenever and however we can.

April 12, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Artist

Bilcat, I am thinking god has many more sons. I dont think Mary was his first boink on Earth

April 12, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  8. Artist

Turn on your TV on Sundays...God Inc. is all over the screen. I throw my money in the air and what doesnt fall down god kept.

April 12, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
  9. GSA

@Ed – you're right it can't be God because God despises pop music, lol. I'm hoping your response was in jest and not serious.

April 12, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  10. derp

Does god take direct deposit?

April 12, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
  11. God

Here is the theme song for my show:

The best things in life are free
    But you can keep them for the birds and bees
    Now give me money
    That's what I want
    That's what I want, yeah
    That's what I want

You're lovin' gives me a thrill
    But you're lovin' don't pay my bills
    Now give me money

Now give me money
    That's what I want
    That's what I want, yeah
    That's what I want

Well now give me money
    A lot of money
    Wow, yeah, I wanna be free
    Oh I want money
    That's what I want
    That's what I want, well
    Now give me money
    A lot of money
    Wow, yeah, you need money
    now, give me money
    That's what I want, yeah
    that's what I want

April 12, 2011 at 9:38 am |
    • Teapot

pretty crappy lyrics for a super-being

April 12, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • Ed

Yeah but then God did't write this song is a pop song may have been beatles biut I'm sure. It wasn't God.

April 12, 2011 at 11:39 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

Howzabout this one from Bad Religion:

Neighbors, no one loves you like he loves you,
      And no one cares like he cares.
      Neighbors, let us join today in the holy love of God and money,
      Because neighbors, no one loves you like He loves you.
      And what better way to show your love than to dig deep into your pockets.
      Dig real deep, until it hurts. Alleviate your guilt,
      Free yourself once again, because he gave to you, brothers and sisters.
      Please give a 10, 25, or 50 dollar tax-deductible donation,
      And I assure you your modest pledge will be used to censor TV and radio,
      Ban questionable books, and contribute to many other Godly services.
      No longer will young Christian Americans hedonistically indulge
      In masochistic submission to rhythmic music, for with your monetary support,
      There is no end to what we can achieve in this country.
      The voice of God is government. In God we trust, sinners repent!
      Can't you see what we believe in, all our thoughts, all our reasons,
      Pursuit of life and liberty and happiness we cannot see?
      Speak of truth with a mighty voice, but politics are your real choice.
      Hire men to change the law, protect and serve with one small flaw.
      Voice of God is government. In God we trust, sinners repent!
      If we shun God and Jesus Christ, religious love is sacrifice.
      Love for God is shown in cash, the love they send is mailbox trash.
      With every pamphlet we receive, more money asked for Godly needs.
      Build a million dollar church, with money spent on God's research.
      Voice of God is government. In God we trust, sinners repent!
      On late night TV, God can heal, a certain force you cannot feel.
      Love for money in God's name, religion's now a TV game!
      Build a million dollar church, with money spent on God's research.
      The voice of God is government.

April 12, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  12. Reality

And the leaders in the "ti-the" race to Heaven? The Mormons!!!---––

To wit:

From: lds-mormon.com/time.shtml

"The first divergence between Mormon economics and that of other denominations is the t-ithe aka union dues aka heaven-lock dues. Most churches take in the greater part of their income through donations. Very few, however, impose a compulsory 10% income tax on their members. Ti-thes are collected locally, with much of the money pas-sed on informally to local lay leaders at Sunday services. "By Monday," says Elbert Peck, editor of Sunstone, an independent Mormon magazine, the church authorities in Salt Lake City "know every cent that's been collected and have made sure the money is deposited in banks." There is a lot to deposit. Last year $5.2 billion in t-ithes flowed into Salt Lake City, $4.9 billion of which came from American Mormons."

"The Mormons are stewards of a different str-ipe. Their charitable spending and temple building are prodi-gious. But where other churches spend most of what they receive in a given year, the Latter-day Saints employ vast amounts of money in investments that TIME estimates to be at least $6 billion strong. Even more unusual, most of this money is not in bonds or stock in other peoples' companies but is invested directly in church-owned, for-profit concerns, the largest of which are in agribusiness, media, insurance, travel and real estate. Deseret Management Corp., the company through which the church holds almost all its commercial as-sets, is one of the largest owners of farm and ranchland in the country, including 49 for-profit parcels in addition to the Deseret Ranch. Besides the Bonneville International chain and Beneficial Life, the church owns a 52% holding in ZCMI, Utah's largest department-store chain.

All told, TIME estimates that the Latter-day Saints farmland and financial investments total some $11 billion, and that the church's non-t-ithe income from its investments exceeds $600 million. "

April 12, 2011 at 8:49 am |
  13. Sorahl

Christians should use that money to pay off their bills and quit enabling these creepy people who pontificate from behind a podium, no doubt feeling like they are the very Voice of God!

And you want to pay them for this?
    What exactly are they doing for you beyond that two-hour Sunday Special?

I had a pastor tell me he worked all week on his sermon.
    Yeah, right. He had more fun pretending to be a rich businessman...oh, wait, he wasn't really pretending, was he? Rotary fellow. Rich, expensive suits, sleek and suave he spent HIS money very well, but the church was empty and full of dust 99 percent of the time.

Pay them if you like, but it ain't going to God. Or to any "god's" work.
    Just greedy people who like to spend money.

I'd like to spend some money, but these rich business people who run so-called "non-profits" are not paying their taxes like everybody else. Those cut-backs mean job-loss on a major scale. I ought to know.

Where's the "equality under the law" that we are guaranteed under our Constltution? No where. Just a shadow without substance. It's all about money. Always was.

But pay your "tithes" if you like. I'm not stopping you from acting like a fool. It's your money. Spend it on "energy crystals" if you want.

I don't have to like it, though.
    I have the right to try and talk a little sense at you people when I see you getting ripped off in such a bald-faced manner.

April 12, 2011 at 8:25 am |
  14. obama's boss

look at all the blinged out reverends we have. just like the american economy its a scheme to get your money.. "in god we trust" remember that Americans..
    your god wants your money too

April 12, 2011 at 7:21 am |
    • wrtrprod7

The average pastor makes less than a school teacher. Those blinged out guys are few and far between.
      But go ahead and paint with a broad stroke. It reveals your ignorance and prejudices.

April 12, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
  15. BogusGod

How in the hell does an omniscient omnipotent god always need lots of money and tax breaks?

April 12, 2011 at 2:54 am |
    • Bunko Squad

The con-game continues. No god and no proof. Total suckers getting suckered into believing made-up stuff custom-fitted to ANY situation and ANY person!

April 12, 2011 at 4:27 am |
  16. Christian Adeline

It's because offerings are not to be made a duty but a willing gift of love for God from a grateful heart. Christians can give 10% of income to the local church and additional 10% to Christian mission agencies. 20% is Biblical and accomplishes a lot for the Kingdom cause.

April 12, 2011 at 1:10 am |