home
RSS
April 22nd, 2011

The royal wedding and religion

The wedding between William and Kate is as much about spirituality as it is marriage.  The Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams will preform the ceremony.  He's speaking out now about the importance of the royal wedding.

CNN's Max Foster reports.

See more about Westminster Abbey the historic church where Will and Kate will be married and see some of the surprising people who are buried there.

See the Archbishop's full comments on the royal wedding here.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Anglican • Christianity • Europe • United Kingdom

1. news tools in UA

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I have truly enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I'm hoping you write again soon!

July 23, 2012 at 8:24 am |
  2. william

Royal wedding coverage is deserving of the Brox salute. THrrrrpp. (the rasberry)

April 25, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  3. BG

The Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams

Piece of work this guy is. The royal couple would do better getting married by Rowan Atkinson.

April 23, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
    • BG

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcsUPbLHJkg&w=640&h=390]

April 23, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  4. ANIL MATHEW

Though as a layman i wish the best for any newly married couple, it would be wrong to speak about spirituality and purity in this marriage as with many others happening around the world these days. I say this because William knew Kate for many years and even lived together though they were not married.

Sin is sin, irrespective of whether one is royalty or commoner.

And in this case, the sin is even compounded further considering that he could end up being the head of the church of England one day.

I only hope that they are convicted of the truth and repent. Only then will one find absolution in Christ.

April 23, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  5. Todd

"The wedding between William and Kate is as much about spirituality as it is marriage."
    – What does that even mean? How can a wedding be anything other than a marriage. And If the wedding is between two Christians, how can it be anything other than spiritual?
    CNN: If my clicking this link was founded upon anything more than cynicism, the description certainly took care of that bit.

April 22, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  6. San Onofre Surfer

Appreciate your comment. Thanks.
    Am not a worshiper at the altar of celebrity, but didn't mean to be disrespectful. I continue to think he looks unkempt, especially when the Pope was here, and he was in the media a lot.

Noticed that you didn't address my more substantial criticisms of his episcopate. But I REJOICE that at least we have the wisdom to ELECT our bishops, following in the traditions of the early church !

A blessed, joyous Easter to you.
    It's so absolutely fantastic that SOMEONE here actually knows something about the real life of the British people.

April 22, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  7. Robyn Cleveland

@San Onofre Surfer,
    "THIS guy" as you describe the Archbishop of Canterbury, happens to be one of the greatest intellectuals around today, and actually a very nice man as well. I attended his extremely impressive lectures on the subject of C.S.Lewis this week, and last night he got on the floor and washed my feet at the Maundy Thursday service at Canterbury Cathedral. He inspires many people with his service to his local parish, and to the world. If you actually listened to him speak, you'd be less interested in his hairdo.

April 22, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • Reality

Robyn,

Did he happen to mention his hero, Henry VIII?

April 22, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • Jason the Pendleton Rat

"..greatest intellectuals around today..." OK. .
      Actually I've read C.S Lewis, and he is so "19th Century". I truely, honestly wish he had something compelling and original to say, especially about "The Problem of Pain". It's all rehashed, "same ole, same ole". His biographical facts are interesting, and I was really looking forward to his writing. I was so disappointed.
      I'll go listen to Steven Hawking instead. Now THERE is a great intellectual.

April 22, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Finger Puppet

Ewe...sorry to hear that. You can't wash your own feet ?

April 23, 2011 at 6:16 am |
    • ANIL MATHEW

Dear Robyn. Being intellectual or nice has nothing to do with spirituality.

If such was the case, heaven would only be populated with courteous scientists and philosophers, not crude and simple fishermen and carpenters.

April 23, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
  8. San Onofre Surfer

I am OK with the VERY successful "royal" PR "firm" doing it's thing. But look at THIS guy. HE bugs me. Why does he need to go for the "wild desert nut-case prophet" look ? He's not a bad looking gentleman, and would look so much more 2011 if he got a haircut and shaved. He most be doing this on purpose, but I'm not sure why.

Actually what bugs me even more about him is his opposition to, and his "go slow" admonitions, to the inevitable ordination of women and other minorities. I know he is trying to avoid a schism on his watch, but sometimes ya have to be courageous, and d-mn the consequences. Also the other guys in red and purple dresses, headquartered in Italy, have done a lot lately to spin the few from this gentleman's organization who are changing to the Italian variety. Rev. Williams should be reminding
    everyone that 65-79% of William's organization's congregations are comprised of ex-Lu-the-ran-s, and ex-Ca-th-ol-ic-s. FAR more into this fella's group FROM from the Italian's, than out. Also the Presiding Bi-sh-op of the Ep-is-co-pal Ch-ur-ch in America, Catherine Jeffers Shorey, is (obviously), a (delightful, amazing, very wise), woman. Cheers.

April 22, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
  9. cooper union

A hereditary monarch, observed Thomas Paine, is as absurd a proposition as a hereditary doctor or mathematician.

April 22, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
  10. Chris

This brings together the three things I hate most in life- religion, royalty and monogomy.

April 22, 2011 at 11:41 am |
    • HeavenSent

Proverbs 6:16 These six [things] doth the LORD hate: yea, seven [are] an abomination unto him:

Proverbs 6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

Proverbs 6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

Proverbs 6:19 A false witness [that] speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Amen.

April 22, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Dave

@ HeavenSent

Quotes from the Bible.
      Ooooh Im so scared! I guess I better start believing and worshipping Sky Daddy once again.
      (sarcasm in case you don't get it)

April 22, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • LTReader

@HeavenSent – Then the LORD obviously hates YOU. YOU are an abomination before his eyes. If you have ever shed innocent blood then that would be seven for seven where you are concerned. The other six you do daily on this blog.

April 23, 2011 at 12:57 am |
    • HeavenSent

Dave, most Christians on this blog are well aware that you non-believers refuse to love Jesus. However, it would be nice if you and other non-believer got educated in His spiritual teachings. I know it's asking a lot to stretch that gray matter of yours to begin to become spiritually in tuned and loose that mizzy carnal way of being.

Amen.

April 23, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • HeavenSent

LOL. It's LTReader now? How many handles do you have? Well, you aren't going to get any stroking from a salty Christian like me so you can continue your bad behavior. Why not fly out to that church that was mentioned in NY and listen to the phony pastors twist and contort His scriptures to make you feel better in this life, but will never save your soul.

Amen.

April 23, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
  11. theoldadam

"Spirituality"?

What exactly does that word mean, anyway?

I defy anyone to give me a good working definition of "spirituality".

It means whatever anyone wants it to mean. Which means it means...nothing.

April 22, 2011 at 9:03 am |
    • HeavenSent

Here's one of His truth for you non-believers.

For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace.

Romans 8:6

Amen.

April 22, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Artist

HeavenSent ah more babble from our elderly resident. LOL

April 22, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Did that scripture hit a mizzy button in you Artist?

Amen.

April 23, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  12. Reality

Once again, said wedding is nothing more than a "tourist event" held to bring more pounds into the coffers of a group of people who still maintain they have some "divine" right to con the common people. Tis sad that so many dead con artists are buried along side some of the giants of intelligence.

April 22, 2011 at 8:55 am |
    • HeavenSent

I suppose it would never enter your mind to wish the couple bliss, harmony, good health, long life and many beautiful children to love and enjoy?

Amen.