home
RSS
Is it morally right to celebrate bin Laden's death?
Thousands celebrated at Times Square in New York City early Monday after Osama bin Laden's death was announced.
May 2nd, 2011

Is it morally right to celebrate bin Laden's death?

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - Festive crowds gathered to cheer his assassination.

One newspaper headline eulogy read, “Rot in Hell.” Televised chants echoed:
“U.S.A.! U.S.A!”

Americans spilled into the streets for spontaneous celebrations after news spread that Osama bin Laden, the al Qaeda leader behind the 9/11 terrorist attacks, had been assassinated.

Yet another reaction took place in more sober moments as people of faith watched the giddy celebrations with a tangled mix of emotions.

Is it morally wrong to celebrate the assassination of bin Laden in such a festive, patriotic way?

That’s the question that troubled Danielle Tumminio, an Episcopal priest, who fought back tears as she digested the news that bin Laden had been killed.

Tumminio was in New York on September 11, 2001. Her Long Island neighborhood, filled with lawyers, stockbrokers and firefighters, lost scores of people in the attacks.

“I remember coming home and smelling the smoke, seeing the debris and going to the funerals,” Tumminio says. “I actually studied abroad because I wanted to get away from feeling unsafe.”

But when Tumminio saw images of Americans celebrating, she felt something else: moral ambivalence.

Osama bin Laden's death: How should we feel?

“My first reaction was, ‘I wish I was with them,’” Tumminio says. “My second reaction was, ‘This is disgusting. We shouldn’t be celebrating the death of anybody.’ It felt gross.”

Jubilance, exaltation, revulsion - all those emotions mingled as people of faith struggled to find an appropriate response to bin Laden’s death.

No one we interviewed for this story denied the importance of bin Laden’s death; the heroism of the American soldiers; the importance of serving justice.

But religious leaders of different faiths say no one should rejoice in the death of a person, even a hated enemy.

Rabbi Shmuel Herzfeld says that when people hear about the downfall of an enemy, rabbis often remind them of a verse from Proverbs: “Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles.”

Herzfeld - who is the rabbi of Ohev Sholom, The National Synagogue, the oldest and largest Orthodox synagogue in Washington, D.C. - says that according to the Talmud, “God does not rejoice with the fall of the wicked.”

“As the rabbinic teaching goes, as the children of Israel were crossing the sea and the army of Pharaoh was drowning, God rebuked the angels for showing excessive joy,” Herzfeld says.

Emad El-Din Shahin, a professor of religion at the University of Notre Dame, says the Quran also teaches reverence for every life, even the most repugnant ones.

He says Islam stresses that the death of a person should be observed in a respectful and solemn way for all people, not just Muslims.

He told a story from Islam to illustrate his point.

The Prophet Mohammad was sitting by a road one day when a funeral procession came by. The prophet stood up out of respect, says Shahin.

“The people with him told him, ‘But he’s not a Muslim.’

“The Prophet Mohammad said, ‘Isn’t it a human soul?’”

Shahin says most Muslims reject the notion that bin Laden was a Muslim leader.

“Bin Laden did not represent Islam or Muslims,” Shahin says. “He was an aberration. Most of the teachings and practices of al Qaeda were condemned by the majority of Muslim scholars and populations.”

One Christian leader pointed to a biblical story from the life of Jesus. Scott Appleby, a history professor who studies the roots of religious violence at Notre Dame, said that when Jesus was surrounded by guards near the end of his life, one of his disciples picked up a sword.

Jesus rebuked the disciple, saying, “Those who live by the sword die by the sword.”

“Certainly Osama bin Laden, who lived by the sword, received the world’s form of justice,” says Appleby. “But do we really think that violence, even a ‘justified’ act of violence, has the capacity to heal the wounds inflicted by violence - or to end the cycle of violence?”

Some leaders say that dancing on bin Laden’s grave is wrong from an ethical point of view as well.

“Killing someone should never be a cause for celebration or joy,” says Rick Halperin, past chairman of the board of directors of Amnesty International USA.

“We as a nation are repulsed when we see Muslims dancing over the death of
Americans. Why would we think our reaction would not be seen as disgusting behavior to them?”

The best reaction would be “somber reflection,” says Halperin, who is also director of Southern Methodist University’s Embrey Human Rights Program.

Tumminio, the Episcopal priest, has already arrived at that place. She says she plans to preach a sermon about the appropriate reaction to bin Laden’s death. She’s still sorting through what she will say.

“I think people have a right to celebrate. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with holding up American flags. But I don’t think we should celebrate the taking of life.”

There’s at least one sentiment she feels no ambivalence about.

Bin Laden’s death should give the United States something else its citizens have craved since September 11, 2001.

“I think this is going to be unifying for us,” she says. “Very few things have been unifying for us in the past 10 years.”

- CNN Writer

Filed under: 9/11 • Christianity • Death • Islam • Judaism • Muslim • New York • Osama bin Laden

soundoff (1,195 Responses)
  1. CG

I don't think people are celebrating the death of a person. They are celebrating long sought justice for an attack on America. I am sure if he could have been captured alive people would have celebrated just the same.

May 3, 2011 at 8:20 am |
  2. mrgakozak

As far as I'm concerned, it is morally reprehensible NOT to celebrate the death of that vermin, one of the most heinous sub-humans iin the history. We are essentially celebrating the death of a minion of the Devil himself, a servant of Satan on this earth. Good riddance to that pestilence, that scourge, that ugly, black-hearted, soulless coward. May he burn and rot in hell for all eternity. LET'S PARTY!!!

May 3, 2011 at 8:20 am |
  3. DwayneL

Of course we should cheer! This guy committed the worst terror act on US soil and when we finally kill him we're supposed to be somber? Please people, cheer away at the death of a mass murdered!!!!!! May he rot in hell!!!!!

May 3, 2011 at 8:18 am |
  4. Pyric

The point has been missed entirely. The celebration is not that he is dead, it is that he is gone. The same cheering would be happening if he had been taken alive. And as to the author's use of "Assassination", buy a dictionary. He was not assassinated, he chose to pick up a weapon and fight his capture. He was killed resisting arrest.

May 3, 2011 at 8:11 am |
  5. Jeff

Have we all forgotten the images of people celebrating in the Middle East when the twin towers fell? I say we make the killing of Osama Bin Laden a national holiday so we can celebrate his demise every year!

May 3, 2011 at 8:11 am |
    • Wzrd1

Yep! Why be BETTER when you can stoop to third world status!
      Welcome to the USA, the world's newest third world nation.
      After all, if THEY did it, why can't we?
      Hey! They walked off of a building, let's walk off of a building too!
      Are you going to hijack airplanes and crash them into Muslim nations buildings now?

May 3, 2011 at 9:55 am |
  6. david

does anyone know what happened to bin laden's wife and four children that we took with us after the raid? will they be assimilated into american society?

May 3, 2011 at 8:02 am |
    • Wzrd1

DID the SEAL team take them along? Or were they left in the compound?

May 3, 2011 at 9:53 am |
  7. CocoaMojo

I remember watching '60 Minutes' after 9/11/01 and how middle eastern countries were cheering over the terroist attacks on U.S. soil – one Egyptian woman in particular. So to that I say...how do you like us now, beotches! Go USA – we always get our man! We are the greatest Nation on earth and no on can take this momentous event one away from us. We have a right to celebrate.

May 3, 2011 at 7:53 am |
  8. A British View

Morally right to celebrate? Probably not, but I'm glad he's dead. Here's a thought for you – in the UK for the last 400 years we still still celebrate Guy Fawkes night every November 5th, where an effigy of Guy Fawkes (the terrorist who tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament) is ceremonially burnt on top of a large bonfire, fireworks are let off, beers and burgers consumed and everybody has a jolly good time. I would heartily recommend instigating something similar in the US.

May 3, 2011 at 7:52 am |
    • Wzrd1

Wow! I totally forgot about that!
      I agree.
      We can call it Mother in Law night! 😉

May 3, 2011 at 9:05 am |
  9. Zapparules

For all you supposed Christians out there.... Just wondering if Jesus would have ever celebrated the MURDER of ANYONE else.

May 3, 2011 at 7:51 am |
    • Ann

I'm not christian, but I agree that Jesus would not have approved of the celebrations.

I do take issue with your calling this a "murder," however. This was a firefight. Bin Laden was armed, presented an immediate threat, and the US soldiers disabled the threat by shooting him. He had the opportunity to surrender, and chose not to do so. That's not a murder.

Now, I'm glad it ended this way, because if he had surrendered, we would have had the spectacle of a trial and the inevitable death sentence. I have no problem with someone being killed resisting arrest (I'm law enforcement, by the way), but to take him into custody, then cuff him and shackle him, chain him to a gurney and fill his veins with poison – that's a murder in my book.

I know my opinion is unpopular, but once someone is no longer a threat, I don't see any justification for further violence - not out of any sympathy for the criminal, but because I don't want to be like them.

May 3, 2011 at 10:15 am |
  10. Jeff

Why not? They were cheering 9/11.

May 3, 2011 at 7:49 am |
    • Wzrd1

If they jumped off of buildings on 9/11, would you do so now?

May 3, 2011 at 9:04 am |
  11. Nose3

@Matt-Congratulations. You have ZERO idea. Don't open your mouth and make assumptions about an entire group of people without knowing what you're talking about. Real men, hmmm...

May 3, 2011 at 7:36 am |
  12. Pat

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
    - Martin Luther King, Jr., quote from his 1967 book Where Do We Go From Here?

May 3, 2011 at 7:33 am |
  13. Mike S

Poor wording – one doesn't have to be a "person of faith" to be moral and concerned about the celebration of a human death. I'm a polyatheist – there are no gods among the millions proposed that I believe in – and the death of any one of us diminishes the richness of the world.

May 3, 2011 at 7:31 am |
    • dogs rule

So, you really think the world was "richer" with BinLaden in it? YOU need to move to Pakistan, too; because we have no use for you here. Find an Iranian rock, and crawl under it. Please.

May 3, 2011 at 7:35 am |
    • Wzrd1

Mike, one can be a person of faith and NOT be religious, but in faith in a society, in faith on morals, in faith in proper behavior.
      The world was lesser when Osama applied his brilliance to killing instead of building and teaching. So, the day that he dedicated himself to killing was when the world became a lesser place.

dogs rule, kindly go back into your cave. You disgust me in ways I can scarcely describe. You LITERALLY make me want to crack the administrative account and personally look you up and thump some sense into your troll brain.
      Either you'd then become a fit and contributing member of society or return to under the bridge you crawled out from under.
      Failing either, you'd end up happily kissing my butt in Macy's window during the New Years Day parade.

May 3, 2011 at 8:58 am |
  14. dogs rule

I am still rejoicing and celebrating over the death of thet monster. All you self-righteous bible-thumpers make me sick. You would feel differently if you had lost someone on 9-11! And if you're NOT thrilled and celebratory over the death of this creature, perhaps you should move to Pakistan!

May 3, 2011 at 7:30 am |
  15. hfinley1234

'Cheering, jeering Americans' once again shamed the western world. Many other countries suffered because of this man yet none of them behaved in the shameful manner that encapsulates modern day America. Surely this is a time for reflection as opposed to celebration.

May 3, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  16. WWRRD

The situation demanded the Osama be killed. He was not only responsible for the 3,00 9-11 victims. There was the USS Cole, and thousands of other Muslims killed due to Al Queda. Capturing and imprisoning the leader was not a viable option. His followers would try to get him released and kidnap or threaten muder of innocents in exchange for realease of Bin Laden.

The author is correct that we not celebrate the death of Bin Laden. It would have been far better if he had never been born. We should simply take quiet solace that he is gone and hope that in his death, younger terrorists realize that waging war will carry a high price for them on a personal level.

May 3, 2011 at 7:26 am |
    • Wzrd1

Agreed! I felt great pleasure as well as vindication and solace in his receiving rough justice.
      I felt a great pleasure in hearing that he died from a sudden bout of high speed lead poisoning, courtesy of a US Navy SEAL team.
      Celebrate, I'll not do. I'll celebrate when we can claim total victory.
      But, also never forget, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Osama's second in command, the planner of most of the attacks is still at large and awaiting HIS justice.
      So, there is no cause to celebrate. No cause for joy. Only pleasure in justice partially served.

May 3, 2011 at 8:45 am |
  17. Sean M

To all you left leaning "compassionate and peace loving" liberals...this is not a perfect world! There are many homicidal, evil people out there that want to kill us...and your children too. Quit knocking your Country, and our brave and selfless countrymen that put their lives on the line every day to fight and defend your freedom! If you do not like it, please move to Cuba and then tell us how socialism is working out for you.

Justice has been served! Feel good about it!

May 3, 2011 at 7:14 am |
    • Wzrd1

Sean, I was one of those who served in these wars. I lost a cousin on 9/11 in the south tower. I lost very good friends in Iraq and Afghanistan and I lost quite a few of my men as well.
      I felt relieved, I felt solace. I even felt great pleasure to learn that Osama suffered from a brief case of high speed lead poisoning.
      But, I'll not celebrate. For I was nauseated when I saw the scenes of West Point cadets behaving EXACTLY like the Palestinians behaved after 9/11.
      The taking of human life is NEVER a reason to celebrate. Ever. One can feel pleasure in rough justice being served, but to celebrate lowers yourself.
      Such celebration is for third world nations, not the US. We necessarily hold ourselves to a higher standard.
      So, are you better than those third world nations or are you just more of the rabble?

As for that liberal nonsense, liberal, conservative, whatever. I'm both. I'm not something on a sheet cut out with a cookie cutter. I'm an individual and have deep feelings on both sides of the fence.
      So, with no due respect, you can kiss my butt in Macy's window during the New Years Day Parade!

May 3, 2011 at 8:41 am |
  18. Hunter

Yes, it is OK to cheer the death of a murdering mastermind.

May 3, 2011 at 7:06 am |
    • Totally Agree

I'm a tax paying law abiding citizen, and I approve this message.

May 3, 2011 at 7:19 am |
  19. jay

Morally wrong to celebrate? absolutely not. This mans sole existence was to kill you. Wipe out our entire way of life and you say its morally wrong to celebrate his death? wake up people. I can see celebrating someone's death who isn't the "most wanted man in history" is wrong but Osama wouldn't hesitate to destroy your entire family.

My fellow Americans, please, for your own health, go out and celebrate the death of the world's worst human being.

May 3, 2011 at 7:05 am |
    • Goose66

But that scenario would suggest an emotion such as relief, not joy. I think a deep sigh of relief and a new resolve to see this thru to the end is more appropriate than drunk college kids in the streets chanting USA and singing "We are the Champions."

May 3, 2011 at 7:32 am |
    • Manuel

That's right! Yes, killing is wrong. Celebrating someone's murder is wrong. However, when that person wants to kill, not just your family, but your entire country, I say that we all celebrate our butts off. It's a jungle out there, only the strong survive. Bin Laden got off easy. If it was me, I would have tortured him slowly.

May 3, 2011 at 7:38 am |
  20. Kynt

I'm glad the question is raised. If we use their lack of respect for human lives to justify our lack of respect for human lives we're no better than them. The real question is if we want to be better. By just saying that we are without acting like it and by holding our actions against their standards we let go of our values and lose what credibility we have left.

I'm an atheist, but I don't have it in me to rejoice over the loss of life, no matter whose life it was. However, I am relieved that this particular terrorist poses no longer an immediate threat, even though I suspect he will continue to inspire other terrorists for some years to come.

May 3, 2011 at 7:04 am |
    • Jodi Olesen

Why is it that we are supposed to now be "respectful" of the Muslims feelings for their leader bin Laden when we were forced to allow the Muslims to dance in the streets and celebrate after the attacks on 9/11? I'm sorry but, those that cheered (while living on American soil-such as in Minnesota) and prasied Allah as we grieved for our losses cannot now require us to NOT do the same to them. Eye for an eye. Don't like it Muslims...Go to Pakistan or Afghanistan and live amongst your terrorist clans. I will cheer loudly for the USA's actions against bin Laden.

May 3, 2011 at 7:11 am |
    • Matt

I love to see people write "i am an atheist". That really means, I live an easy life, never had any hardship and certainly never have been in combat. I have been with men who have said "i am atheist" and when we came close to being killed in Iraq cry like little babies asking God for forgiveness. There are no atheists in foxholes.
      Just another whining, spineless liberal. You are welcome that real men are in this world to do your fighting so you can wear your birkenstocks, eat your granola and sit at Starbucks spewing military and political dissent.

May 3, 2011 at 7:17 am |
    • Beth

Wow Matt and Jodi, just wow.

Proverbs 24-17 of the Bible reads "Do not be happy when your enemy falls, and do not feel glad when he stumbles."

No, we don't HAVE to show respect, but we SHOULD. Don't you see? And putting religion aside (which Kynt is saying by revealing that he agrees with the article despite not having a religious doctrine to make him act a certain way), it just makes sense. Americans were outraged to see other people celebrate our deaths, don't you think the same will be true the other way? What sort of future do you want for our children? An eye for an eye till the whole world is blind?!? Yes, we should assasinate terrorists. Yes, we should bring justice when warranted. But then show you are better than the small handful of people you are angry with and be the better person by not celebrating in death.

Why do most "Christians" turn away from the Bible's commands while "Atheists" like Kynt can see the logic in many of the teachings? This hypocrisy is why many folks turn away from Christianity. You might want to pray on that, Matt and Jodi, and really THINK for a second before you lose your heart to hatred.

May 3, 2011 at 7:35 am |
    • Bruce

Matt, you had me there, for awhile. I agree with everything you said except about the "whining liberals". I am liberal, and to me that means "open minded" as opposed to "closed minded". I don't whine, I thank God for what I have, including the protection of the military that accomplished this feat. Just please don't tar us all with the same brush.

May 3, 2011 at 7:36 am |
    • Goose66

We don't dance in th streets and celebrate the death of Bin Laden because so many Middle-Eastern muslims celebrated the death of Americans on 9/11. This is not about being like them, its not even about being better than them. Its about being American and regretting the loss of any life, even if it was necessary and just. Appropriate reactions is what I would like the media to show, not a bunch of drunk fools that would have just as easily sang and celebrated the appearance of the Aflac duck as the death of Bin Laden.

May 3, 2011 at 7:38 am |
    • Bruce

One more thought. I don't think "respect" has much to do with it. True Muslims, like Christians, don't want this horrible person representing them, and we don't disrespect Muslims by being glad he is gone. That said, however, as Christians, we should not celebrate a killing. Just be thankful that he can do no more evil, and let's move on.

May 3, 2011 at 7:40 am |
    • Paul

Matt...the crying you heard was probably you. It takes a man to admit he is in this world on his own, not one that prays to a person you hope exists that you are making decisions for him and not you. See someone who does not believe in god makes decisions they have to live with. You never hear an Atheist say "god made me do it" then again you haven't seen one be a mass killer either...huh.

May 3, 2011 at 7:46 am |
    • Zapparules

So Matt... There have never been any athiest soldiers?

May 3, 2011 at 7:47 am |
    • Medardus

@Matt

I'm an atheist. Nothing in my life has ever been easy. Especially the foxholes I've been in.

Saying that there are no atheists in foxholes means that everyone who ever died in one was a believer who's prayer failed them.

May 3, 2011 at 7:54 am |
    • Kynt

I did not say that anyone is supposed to do anything. If, however, you claim for yourself to be better than the others, you should be willing to reflect on your actions, and maybe consider restraint. It's not about respect for terrorists, it's about respect for own principles.

May 3, 2011 at 7:56 am |
    • Paul

Ohh yeah Matt...if you were in the military like you say you were. Then you should remember your oath that said protect all Americans...this includes those with different religious beliefs. Native Americans are not pansies because they do not believe like you... This is the problem with most of America and frankly the answer to the question of this post. Why do we no longer feel we represent a country and we are just some war mongering government. Your actions are how people in this world see Americans. Just as they decry Osama..I decry people that do not support all Americans. Our country survived because we were one...not because we were separate and we are falling...it is not coincidence. If your an American..especially in this time...do not criticize...educate...talk...explain what war was like. Buddy like it or not you were putting your butt on the like for the guy you just cut down. You did it so he could be an Atheist if he wanted...and I did it so you could cut him down in this forum. The military should have taught you to be brothers...we never ask what religion the guy next to us was...it didn't matter...they were an American.

May 3, 2011 at 8:00 am |
    • LARRY OF BOSTON

If millions of Muslims (sorry, but they were Muslims) can cheer the deaths of over 3,000 innocents in the World Trade center, then yes, I stand up and cheer the destruction of an evil enemy of this country. This does not make me better or worse than them – nor holier than thou -- but I am cheering. God willing, there will be more killing of these butchers that kill in the name of Allah (sorry but they do this as well). I am just disappointed at the millions of Muslims that are not standing up and saying that this was justice – shame on them. I have no ill will towards Islam or Muslims, but I do disnguish between the peacefull Muslims and those that would kill in the name of Allah and call us infidels -The might sword of God has brought his sword down on an evil person in Osama Has Been Laden – good riddance and praise be to the true God.

May 3, 2011 at 8:05 am |
    • Ann

Celebrating death doesn't make you more of a soldier, more of an American, more of a Christian or Muslim or anything like that. I am relieved that bin Laden can't do any more harm. I'm also grateful that he chose not to surrender, so we don't have to go through the disgusting spectacle of a trial. Better that it be over with.

I am not basing my opinion on any religious belief, but on a simple thing that my mother used to tell me: "Two wrongs don't make a right."

It does matter how the rest of the world perceives us. Dancing in the streets? Drunken celebrations? Doesn't that remind you of all those news clips of Arab men jumping up and down and throwing their shoes around? Is that really how you want to act?

If you have cancer, you cut out the tumor and you throw it away. No one dances around the operating room celebrating the surgery. It's done, it was necessary, and now we move on. Please, America, show a little dignity.

May 3, 2011 at 8:13 am |
    • Sam the Sham

Believing that ALL life is sacred and should be respected is a great belief. Unfortunately, people like Bin Laden, Hitler, Son of Sam, etc., change the rule. Therefore, when those of us who respect life, and mourn at the loss of innocents, witness the death of one of these evil people we SHOULD cheer their deaths; not because we celebrate death, but because we celebrate all of the lives that will now be preserved.
      I say DING DONG BIN LADENS DEAD, WHICH BIN LADEN?, THE DEAD BIN LADEN!!!!

May 3, 2011 at 8:16 am |
    • Wzrd1

Matt, I retired after over 27 years of military service to this nation. I was deployed to the Persian Gulf AOR for nearly 5 years. I've lost some very fine men and some close buddies in Iraq. And I can honestly and truthfully say to your contention that there are no atheists in the war zone, CATTLE COOKIES. I've WATCHED atheists die NOT praying, but screaming in pain, no treatment in the universe could prevent their death. You cheapen the worthiness of those who do not believe as you by denying their very existence.

May 3, 2011 at 8:19 am |
    • Wzrd1

Jodi, an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, soon we'd be all blind and toothless.
      Your claim that we're showing respect for their feelings is nonsense. It's a respect for human life. It's being a sober, stable and responsible adult. It's even following one's faith.
      There never has been a reason in my half century of life to celebrate the death of ANY human. I am perfectly capable of feeling pleasure and vindication that justice was served. I can feel pleasure of the thought that Osama suffered from a case of high speed lead poisoning, courtesy of a US Navy SEAL team.
      But, I'll not lower myself to the level of the ignorant masses of Palestinians or even those who danced on the street here on 9/11 or over Osama's death.
      Instead, I'll feel pleasure, solace over the loss of buddies and some of my subordinates. I'll feel vindication.
      But not joy.
      The argument of "they did it, why can't I" is the argument of a 5 year old. If they jumped off of a building, would YOU? That was what my mother asked me nearly a half century ago when I tried that argument. We know the answer, as It's obvious that I've not jumped off of any buildings.
      When I saw those West Point cadets dancing and chanting USA USA, I was disgusted beyond measure. We claim moral and social superiority to those Palestinians who danced in the streets, but then we did the same thing that they did!
      When I saw that scene, it literally flashed into my mine instantly.
      We're SUPPOSED to be better than that.
      We CAN be better than that.
      Kindly TRY to be better than that.

May 3, 2011 at 8:28 am |
    • JD

I don't believe in celebrating the death of %99.9 of the people in the world. Some people do bad things and die, and I would not celebrate their death. On the other hand, there are some people in the world who are just pure evil. Hilter and Stalin would come to mind. They both killed millions of people and people did celebrate their deaths. Although Bin Ladin did not kill as many, he did kill thousands of incident people both Muslim and non-Muslin. If he has the capability, he would have killed more than Hilter and Stalin combined. Therefore, I for one am glad he is dead and hope he rots in Hell with Hilter and Stalin.

May 3, 2011 at 8:31 am |
    • ScottJoh

I'm an atheist and I am glad Bin Laden is dead.... Now we have to go after the real people who took down the WTC buildings. Our govt (the bush administration) the Central banks(the super rich) and their cohorts the Mil contrators. All conspired to start this war for profit. Yeah OBL is dead but the jobs not finished!

May 3, 2011 at 8:34 am |