home
RSS
Peruvian president calls bin Laden killing miracle from Pope John Paul II
Peruvian President Alan Garcia in Colombia in March 2011
May 2nd, 2011

Peruvian president calls bin Laden killing miracle from Pope John Paul II

(CNN) - While many world leaders praised the U.S. killing of Osama bin Laden, the president of Peru went a step further on Monday, calling the development the first miracle of Pope John Paul II since he was beatified last weekend.

“I have said that his first miracle has been to remove from the Earth this demonic incarnation of crime, evil and hatred,” Peruvian president Alan Garcia said, according to CNN affiliate America TV in Peru.

“And I think that’s great news that should please Mr. Obama,” Garcia went on, referring to the U.S. president. “In some way, it also vindicates (former) President George W. Bush who made the decision to punish bin Laden and to patiently continue this work that is finally bearing fruit.”

Pope John Paul II, who died in April 2005, was beatified in Rome on Sunday, hours before Obama announced that bin Laden had been killed in Pakistan by U.S. Special Forces.

Beatification is the last step before sainthood and requires someone to have performed one miracle after his or her death. Sainthood requires the church to confirm a second miracle.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Americas • Catholic Church • Osama bin Laden • Peru • Pope John Paul II

1. Chris

This President obviously needs to go to Church more often. The Catholic Church would never consider the assassination of any person a miracle. Death is a time of reflection for Catholics, never a time of jubilation.

May 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  2. Pikachu

Can't we all just get along and recognize this article for it's lulz factor? XD

Another thing Catholic or not Pope John Paul II seems like a pretty nice guy ^_^ and he did a lot more than this one is to bring the faiths together I mean no one is perfect.

I think all you angry people need a hug so here you go *hugs you* ❤

May 4, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  3. Bibletruth

Regarding the Roman Catholic faith, it should be sufficient to know that Roman Catholicism and bible Christianity are two different things. There is no need to attack individual Catholics as Christians do not attack others. I just encourage my Catholic friends to read the bible, and as I do with many folks, I specifically encourage them to read the ten commandments every day for the next 30 days.

May 4, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • HeavenSent

You are a weak Christian to not speak to the truth to the Catholics. They are going to hell unless they change their ways. They do the Devil's bidding.
      Amen.

May 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Catherine

Dear Bibletruth,

YOU ARE KIND AND A GOOD CHRISTIAN.

We Catholics not only read but pray the psalms and readings of the Holy Bible in the Liturgy of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass every day. Priests, monks and religious pray the Divine Office 7 times a day. The readings and prayers are scriptural taken from the Holy Bible.

Here is a short history of clarification of the Bible.

The name Vulgate means "disseminated" or people's bible. The Latin Vulgate was translated by the CATHOLIC MONK, Jerome around the year 384. The Catholic canon of scripture was essentially settled in the 4th century at the Councils of Hippo, Carthage and Rome around A.D. 393.

The Council of Rome included the Decree of Pope Damascus concerning the canon. The Catholic canon was affirmed once more by the Council of Florence in 1431 and again at the Council of Trent in 1546.

Luther rejected the 7 deuterocanonical books of the bible and also eliminated Hebrews, James, Jude, and Revelation from the NT, but later Protestants reinserted them.

Until 1873 the authorized version of the King James had the 7 books they call the apocrypha. When the first edition of the King James version was published there was a one year prison term to be given to anyone that published the KJV bible without the deuterocanonicals.

The Holy Bible especially the New Testament was passed down by Jesus Christ Himself to the Apostles who in turn passed it down by word of mouth and in writing. So it is the Catholic Church that gave the Bible to the world. Martin Luther added some words and took off some books as in the KJV.

May 4, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Pikachu

Aw that's nice ^_^ I like it when people of different denominations of Christianity are able to get along. I think if we learned more about each other we might find more similarity's than differences and stop fighting and useless stuff like that.

May 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  4. Steve

Mary was a sinner, and is now dead awaiting the resurection. She not the gate to heaven. JESUS IS THE TRUTH AND THE ONLY WAY. Paganisim merged with catholasisim thus you have paganisim perfected. Satan loves the catholic system because his suragate the pope is the anti Christ. Deceiving lots and lots of people that cast the Bible aside.

If you want to deceive religous people you pose as a relgous figure. Satan has got the whole world deceived with various counterfit systems of Christianity. Satan has changed the Sabbath to Sunday. All the world wandered after the beast ( Rome) Rev. 13:3 spot on prophecys. I became a Seventh Day Adventist and learned the Bible truth.

Satan has got this whole planet so woodwinked. As soon as you stray from the Bible one iota you'll get what you deserve. DECEIVED !!!

May 4, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  5. Deanzsyclone

You know I wished for the same EXACT thing as the pope did, before he even did, maybe it is me that you should all be thanking and not that Pope guy??

May 4, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
  6. R. Cameron

Pope John Paul II is dead. He is not in heaven and he can't do miracles. The dead know not anything – Ecclesiastes 9. John Paul II will be resurrected at the end, to stand in his lot at the end of days, just like all of us.

To say that he is in heaven is wrong. To say he is in hell is wrong. Man does not possess natural immortality of the soul.

May 4, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • Steve

I agree you must be an SDA also

May 4, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  7. el condor

Garcia....what an idiot. This pedophile pope will never see the gates of heaven. God only knows, but chances are he will be spending eternity in the same place as Bin Laden unfortunately. Saint my poto.

May 4, 2011 at 11:30 am |
    • HeavenSent

El Condor I agree and he is going to hell. Catholics change your ways or burn for eternity.
      Amen.

May 4, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  8. gwarren38

Heavensent, I'm sorry that you feel the way you do. To claim to follow Jesus but only quote from the Old Testament and only the scriptures that fit your needs. In the New Testament Jesus said to love the One Lord your God with your whole heart and soul and to love one another.
    Jesus also said to let the person without sin to cast the first stone, which means it's up to him to pass judgement and not us.
    While I will not mourn Bin Ladens passing I will leave it to God to judge him. And I think that Pope John Paul II would be offended to have his death attributed to him. He belived in Jesus's teaching of love one another and was a gentle man.

May 4, 2011 at 8:15 am |

well said thanks

May 4, 2011 at 8:18 am |
  9. lemonhead628

why can't God use who He chooses to do what He chooses? since when are Catholics not Christians? what's the point of arguing over God if He doesn't exist? maybe i'll find out the answers when i get to heaven. i'm sure not gonna find out here. 🙂

May 4, 2011 at 8:06 am |
  10. Analog Kid

Ha! Idiot.

May 4, 2011 at 6:19 am |
  11. Reality

Ending most religions as we currently know them in less than 100 words:

Saving 1.5 billion lost Muslims:
    There never was and never will be any angels i.e. no Gabriel, no Islam and therefore no more koranic-driven acts of horror and terror

Saving 2 billion lost Christians:
    There was and never will be any bodily resurrections i.e. No Easter, no Christianity and no miracles.

Saving 15.5 million Orthodox followers of Judaism:
    Abraham and Moses never existed.

Added details upon request............................................................................

May 4, 2011 at 12:01 am |
    • el condor

And here all along we have been worshipping the wrong God. Why didn't you put your name in the yellow pages and that sure would have saved a lot of trouble.

May 4, 2011 at 11:37 am |
  12. chief

even the very elect will be deceived

May 3, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
  13. DoubleWW

Uh... now you see why so many of the world's problems are caused by religious hysteria.

May 3, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  14. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Here's a question for readers of these blogs:Is there anyone who really takes HeavenSent seriously? Has she changed anyone's mind about a belief system? About God? About sin? About heaven or hell?

Really, I'd love to know if HS's campaign has had any effect, positive or negative, on anyone here.

May 3, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
    • HeavenSent

It has, some people just do not know it yet. God works in mysterious ways.
      Amen.

May 3, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
    • Jennifer

Absolutely no effect, quoting scriptures with numbers is meaningless since no one will bother to really look it up and comprehend it. It’s astonishing to read such old school thought when it comes to the Bible. It’s sad since this person’s comments are a complete turn off for wanting to understand Christianity better. If they represent those that attend church then I want NO part of it! The lack of love, the cold heartiness is not what I would imagine Jesus teaching.

May 3, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Jennifer I pray that God humbles you and you see the error in your ways. How dare you!
      Amen.

May 3, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • Ed

@Heavensent pray God humbles you, you obviously need it.

May 3, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Ed, you obviously do not know me. If you did you wouldn't be saying that. Satan has a hold on you and warps how you percieve things. As I mentioned, before my friends think I am a Heaven Sent and hopefully some day you will see this.
      Amen.

May 3, 2011 at 7:47 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You don't have any friends, HS. No one who behaves as you do would be tolerated, much less loved.

May 3, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

heavensent...You appear to have a very large ego, to think that god sent you down here to.. oh very clever..I see.. he must have been cleaning house...that explains it. He kinda fired you with you realizing.. he does work in mysterious ways..

May 3, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • Ed

@Heavensent, You're right I don't know you but I know your posts. Full of pride arrogance and hateful rhetoric. You spater in a few scripture quotes and condemn everyone to he-ll for not agreeing with you. You say you are spreading the good and love word of Christ, but your posts only include hat and pride. No Good no love. Even your handle shows your arrogance HeavenSent sent by heaven. What arrogance you must have to be so selfrighteous and think you are sent by God to condemn anyone. Your are like the members of the mafia the comment crimes then go to church and call themselves religious. You get on line berate everyone tell everyone they are going to he-ll. Then tell them to be less pridful and more loving which you are neither. Maybe in everyday life your are much nicer but based on your posts you rare arrogant, prideful and hateful. So again pray that God humbles you, you obviously need it.

May 4, 2011 at 7:23 am |
    • Stevie7

Probably the only impact I've had is opening my mind to the effects of megalomania. HeavenSent 'knows' he's going to heaven and his 'friends' 'know' it to. HeavenSent knows the mind of god and passes judgement on his behalf because he 'knows' the ways the bible should be interpreted. Delusions on grandeur indeed. Many Christians on this blog are thoughtful, open-minded, and considerate. HeavenSent isn't one of them. I feel sad for him/her.

May 4, 2011 at 8:12 am |

@Stevie7, I agree

May 4, 2011 at 8:16 am |
    • Up Your RearAdmiral

On April 26, Ed said "git" first. Then he went all ad hominem. Then he did it again.

But later, Ed got a swirly in a busy public toilet. Ed has a dirty, wet head.

May 4, 2011 at 10:28 am |
    • Ed

@Jennifer please do not lose your willingness to learn about christians from the behavior of Heavensent. HeavenSent represents most christians the same was Bin Laden represented all muslims. Most of us are better behaved...most of the time anyway.

May 4, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  15. Joseph36

Well I am not sure whether the kiling of Bin Laden was a miracle performed by Blessed John Paul 2,but I am sure that he when he performed or played a major part in a greater miracle than this-the pivotal role he played in the fall of Communism in Eastern Europe.

May 3, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Stevie7

Why either would be considered miracles, requiring divine intervention, is beyond me.

May 4, 2011 at 8:07 am |
  16. Amalia Sheran Sharm

So why couldn't he perform this miracle when he was alive? If being dead gives popes the ability to find terrorists, we should be killing popes around the clock.

May 3, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • Ed

Can we please stop hoolding the catholic church or John Paul II accountable for what this fool said.

May 3, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • Joseph36

Maybe you can kill the present one,Benedict 16 and see whether he would work a miraclr or not.The present Pope says he does not fear death.
      Well he did perform or take part in a greater miracle than the death of Bin Laden,he played the pivotal role in the DEMISE OF COMMUNISM IN EASTERN EUROPE.Well that was when he was a live.So don't discredit this old guys wearing white medieval dress they have and might play a major role in history. The hated and outfashoined could humble the the powerful and a force to be reckoned with.

May 3, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • BigDeer

@Amalia Sheran Sharm
      Though I dare not mock a man of G_D, your comment made me laugh! Seriously the best thing I have read all day 🙂

May 3, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • marcrag

Not all popes re the same,

May 3, 2011 at 7:26 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Ed your church makes a mockery of God and itself by its practices. Turn from Satan's tool to Jesus. Yoour Pope and church is going to burn in hell, leave them.
      Amen.

May 3, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
    • Ed

@Heavensent the day I take faith guidance from the like of you is the day I condemn my self to he-ll. The Bible you worship was written by the very church you think you know more then (new testament anyway). Inspired by God but written and compiled by the first leaders of my church who walked with Christ. I have read your post they are full of arrogance and hate and none of the love Christ showed. So stop telling me to join your church if you are an example of your church it is run by something other than the teachings of Christ.

May 3, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Ed I just spread the good word. Jesus is knocking and doesn't want you to burn for eternity. Blotted out. Truth can hurt or even be hgard to accept when a person is in a cult or does the work of the Devil.
      Amen.

May 3, 2011 at 7:43 pm |
    • Ed

@Heavensent you spread a lot of words all your own and few of them good.

May 3, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
    • Ed

@Heavensent your only slightly less christian the Osama Bin Laden was.

May 3, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
    • Stevie7

@Ed,
      HeavenSent is god, didn't you know? That's how he knows who is saved and who is going to burn for all eternity. That's also how he knows the correct interpretations of the english translation of the bible he quotes from.

RAmen.

May 4, 2011 at 8:06 am |
  17. Don't be deceived

Only God can do miracles. Not anyone else !!! and definitely not from a sinner like pope john paul II. Enough lies and deceptions already. Only Jesus Christ can save us NO ONE ELSE !!!

May 3, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • Joseph36

Who is this ignorant Biblical fundementalist who judges another man .

May 3, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Joseph36, Judging Is Believing.

Yes, and why, even of yourselves, do you not judge what is right?

Luke 12:57

What is right?

The statutes of the Lord are right.

Psalm 19:8

"For the wicked [man without God] boasts of his heart's desire; he blesses the greedy and renounces the Lord. The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; God is in none of his thoughts."

Psalm 10:3-4

Amen.

May 3, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • .

What?!?
      I did two miracles just this morning. No one said anything about banning miracles, dang.

May 3, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
    • ScottK

HeavenSent is a funda-mental-less Christian who believes a book to be divine because the book says so. Faith takes 0 brain power.

May 3, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • Faux Paws

I saw OBL's face in my piece of toast this morning. It was his first miracle. His cononization process is begun.

May 4, 2011 at 10:54 am |
    • Faux Paws

Sorry for the typo....
      I meant "canonization".

May 4, 2011 at 10:58 am |
  18. Osama bin Laden

I am still alive. You did not kill me. =)

May 3, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • KYss My Ring

I knew it. We TOTALLY expected it.
      "On the third day he rose from the dead".

May 3, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

KYss My Ring
      I knew it. We TOTALLY expected it.
      "On the third day he rose from the dead".
      ------
      You blew that one really bad. OBL was killed over 1 week ago! Your three days has come and gone.

May 3, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • ScottK

Maybe zombie Osama can battle it out with zombie Jesus on Pay-per-view.

May 3, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  19. lember

He is the evil in person you can see it in his eyes much worse than Bin Laden.

May 3, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • Joseph36

You seem to be delusional .Mad by your bigotry.You seem to have the potential to become a fanatic anti-catholic with your sentimental bias and ignorance

May 3, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  20. Mario

I used to be Catholic (40yrs) until the truth that there is no virgin miracles and that no human 'dead' can ever respond to prayers but that its demons who come in their place. I've been Christian for the last 8yrs and glad to have been saved by our Lord Jesuschrist the only God of this earth, the rest is satanic lies. I was shocked to find out in eight years all the lies from this church, the popes and all the terrible killings in the name of Christ. CHRIST SAID TO LOVE YOUR ENEMY , TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER, not to kill in his name nor to bring down the glory of God by cajoling ignorance into praying to satan.

May 3, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Varangian

You confuse me. You imply that Catholics are not christians and that christians don't believe in the notion of a virgin birth. You also imply that catholics don't believe in Jesus Christ. That makes no sense.

So you were a catholic for 40 years yet knew nothing about catholicism, and are now a "christian" and still know nothing about christianity?

May 3, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • Joseph36

Old Mario you are back with your ignorant Catholic bashing.Well there is no Christianity wthout the Catholic Church.Learn history.And I again exhort you to rejoin the Catholic Church

May 3, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • Ed

@Mario, So Christ was not born of the virgin Mary nor was he resurrected but he his God how did you make this leap?

May 3, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Bucky Ball

Thank you for raising the subject of one of my "pet peeves".
      The Virgin Birth.
      Background :
      (Please read Isaiah Chapter 7 if you have a moment). Summary : King Ahaz, (a shortening of Jehoahaz) of Judah, who reigned from about 735 BC to 715 BC, was fighting King Pekah of Israel, who was allied with King Rezin of Aram. He was not doing well in the battles, and was considered a fairly corrupt man.
      History :
      The Prophet Isaiah was said to be sent to Ahaz, with his son, to tell Ahaz that his wife, (an "ALMAH", in Hebrew, (which is mistranslated as "virgin", but is correctly translated as "maiden" or "young woman of marriageable age") and later translated into the Greek "parthenos" which can mean "virgin" but a Hebrew listener/reader would have understood the meaning), would be found to be pregnant. THAT fact, ie the fact of the child as a sign, NOT the method of the birth, was the point of the story.
      When Mathew used the same word, in Mathew 2:23 he knew it would resonate in his listeners ears and remind them that the child was the sign, (and it had NOTHING to do with "virginal" anything).
      It's simply one of hundreds, likely thousands of misunderstandings of ancient texts, which were mistranslated and hijacked later for assorted purposes, and taken out of their original cultural context, and used to suit a later worldview, which had nothing to do with their original meaning and iintent.

May 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
    • Ed

@Bucky, In english the term maiden is used to refer to an unmarried young lady. Since the young women were not married it was assumed (correctly or not) they were virgins. It can also mean virgin. So when translated to english it makes sense that it would imply virgin as in never has s-e-x. Ijn either case Mario seemed to say he did not believe in the virgin birth of Christ. This would make Christ born in the same ordinary way you and I were. He also seemed to say he did not believe in the resurrection. But he did believe Christ was God. Deny either of the first 2 or in this case both but still considering Christ God not a prophet does not make sense. So my question to Mario remains the same how did you make that leap?

May 3, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
    • Stevie7

To imply that god being born as a person requires the mother to be a virgin is a total logical leap. As does saying that jesus had to be resurrected to be god. If there is a god and he/she/it is all powerful, then god should be able to do anything god wants, including not being born to a virgin and not coming back from the dead.

May 4, 2011 at 7:59 am |
    • Ed

@Stevie7 Thats a good point but if Christ were orinary in every way how would that make him extraordinary. Would not God have to be extraordinary. He could choose to to appear extraordinary but if he is all powerful he is extraordinary. Once again we run into the problem of out inability to define God. Mario stated Christ was not born of a virgin or resurrected but he is God. I'm just wondering what makes Mario think Christ is God if he was ordinary not extraordinary.

May 4, 2011 at 8:14 am |
    • Bucky Ball

@ Ed,
      Appreciate your thoughts.
      What the term is, or means, in English, is irrelevant. What is, are the words used and their meanings in the original, and translated texts from the ancient world.
      Another "elephant in the room" problem with the "virgin" business, is the question of why, if the point of the text in Mathew is that Mary was a virgin, (to say nothing of the problem raised by the fact that the gospels say he had "brothers", ie James etc), but why does Mathew spend so much time going througn the geneology. (Mathew 1:1-17), traced through Joseph's line, back to David, and then state Joseph did not have relations with her until after the birth, (Mathew 1:25). Either he WAS a decendant of David's, or he wasn't. Can't have it both ways.

May 4, 2011 at 8:26 am |
    • Ed

@Bucky fair point, Mary was also of the line of David in short she and Joseph were very distant cousins. something like 5th or 6th a few times removed kind of thing. Far enough apart to not be incestial but still both distant house of David. Its important because messiah prophecy stated the messiah would be from the house of David. In modern times there are about 1 million people taht can trace the geneolgy back to William the conqueror but must of them are not related enough for it to matter if they have children. Same with Joseph and Mary. As for James the brother. Its unclear if he was born before or after Jesus if after Mary could still have ben a virgin for Jesus. Also at the time it was not uncommon to refer to Close cousins as brother or sister. So james may have in fact be a cousin of Jesus not a borther in our use of the term. I understand your statement about the acient meaning of the term but the currect meaning does make a difference since it may be the cause of different interpretations. In any case I still trying to find out why Mario thinks christ was God if he didn't do any of the things that make must christias think his God.

May 4, 2011 at 8:35 am |
    • Inspector Clouseau

@Ed,
      Oh come on, you're not serious. I can't buy that one. The concept that the lineage would be traceable through a female in that culture is "strained" at best, and actually it's ridiculous. NO ONE ever said that before. Certainly none of the writers of any of the ancient texts ever used a female to trace back a family tree, (and they did often go to great lengths to trace them back through male lines). Bucky's point stands.

@Stevie7,
      I like the way your brain works ! Seriously, your sensitivity to the linguistics, (which I prefer to call "neuro-linguistics"), is what all this comes down to in the end, for me. What humans actually, exactly, "mean" when they state certain things, and think about certain things in the ways they do, with the words they do, is fascinating and revealing. It's ALL about language, and very little about anything else, (neuro pathways which seem to be hardwired and statistically probable, or not, and what advantage they give to human's adaptability).

May 4, 2011 at 11:18 am |
    • Ed

Inspector, I did not say Buckys point did not stand I just pointed out the the lineage of Christ due to messiah prophecy had to go back to the house of David. In Jewish culture lineage is usually track throught the biological father so it was shown that Joseph was of the house of David. However as Bucky pointed out Christian belief holds that Joseph is not Christ biological father. When the biological father's lineage can not be traced at all it is reasonable to use the mothers lineage. Mary lineage also traces back to the house of Daivd through a different path. Therefore either way Christ was of the house of David necessary for fulfilment of messiah prophecy. If the belief is incorrect and Joseph is the father then still house of David. Although tradition usually has us track lineage through the father you are still your mothers ofspring too and therefore part of her lineage as well. This all started becasue I asked Mario to explain how he believed Christ was God if he didn't believe the things that made him God according to christian belief and I'm still looking for that answer.

May 4, 2011 at 11:52 am |