home
RSS
My Take: Why we fear Friday the 13th
May 13th, 2011

My Take: Why we fear Friday the 13th

Editor's Note: Stuart Vyse is professor of psychology at Connecticut College and the author of "Believing in Magic: The Psychology of Superstition," which won the American Psychological Association's William James Book Award.

By Stuart Vyse, Special to CNN

Why do we fear today above all other Fridays? On any other Friday we hear the gleeful exclamation of “TGIF.” The work week is almost over and playtime is about to begin.

But when Friday the 13th arrives, many of us respond quite differently. Travel arrangements are canceled and doctor appointments are rescheduled. Risky endeavors of all kinds are put off in an effort to avoid tempting fate. Modern Homo sapiens are remarkably sophisticated creatures, capable of writing symphonies, solving the Poincare Conjecture, and inventing Nutella, yet we carry around a number of fears that seem to be more characteristic of our ancient past.

Why? And why do we fear Friday the 13th in particular? There are several reasons.

First, it is all but impossible to avoid learning the superstition in the first place. Friday the 13th is perhaps the most prominent of a group of traditional anxiety-heightening superstitions that includes black cats, broken mirrors, stepping on cracks and walking under ladders. This collection of fearsome hobgoblins is an inherent feature of our Western culture and our families and friends indoctrinate all of us.

Most superstitions arise as a method of coping with uncertainty. We fret about the important things in our lives: our health, our children, our paychecks and our sports teams. All these things are dear to us and all can be drastically affected in a positive or negative direction by events utterly beyond our control.

Superstitious rituals and lucky charms give us a comforting sense of control over the unexpected when there is nothing more practical that can be done. In the case of the lucky superstitions, there is some evidence that belief in luck-enhancing powers can bring psychological benefits and improve performance.

But the phobic, unlucky superstitions are more problematic. Once acquired, these superstitions bring their own anxiety. If you believe Friday the 13th is unlucky, on average a couple of times a year you will be forced to consider whether or not to adapt your daily routine to avoid the prospect of harm.

When bad things happen to us, we may prefer having something to blame, such as a traditionally unlucky day. But the price we pay for this illusory explanation is having to confront a recurring fear whenever Friday the 13th rolls around.

For some, the traditional origins of the Friday the 13th superstition probably encourage belief in the day’s dark power. There are many theories about the source of this superstition, but the most lasting and convincing points to the biblical account of the Last Supper, which the Bible describes as a gathering of Jesus and the 12 apostles just before Jesus’ crucifixion on Good Friday.

It’s also probably best theory for explaining why the number 13 itself is considered unlucky. There's also a common superstition about 13 people at a table being bad luck, which is thought to have the same origin.

Interestingly, the infrequency of Friday the 13th helps to maintain the anxiety it provokes. There is a 13th day in every month of the year, but when the 13th falls on a Tuesday or a Sunday or any day but Friday we take little notice. Same goes for the 50 or more non-13th Fridays each year.

This year, today is the only Friday the 13th.

If we encountered our superstitions at a much higher rate—if black cats were everywhere and mirrors broke on a daily basis—all of the ups and downs of life would occur in their proximity. These superstitions would not be unusual enough to imbue them with any special significance. Unexpected happy or unhappy events could not be easily attributed to the presence of a black cat or a broken mirror.

But because black cats and broken mirrors and Fridays the 13th are quite rare, it's almost impossible not to associate a calamitous event that befalls you when they’re nearbywith the superstition attached to them.

Finally, we should not underestimate the role of the media in keeping this irrational belief alive. As the author of a book on the psychology of superstition, my phone often rings during the week preceding Friday the 13th. Superstitious belief is a quirk of our humanity that carries an enduring fascination, and news outlets are always hungry for an interesting story. As long as these superstitions are kept floating around in our cultural ether, they will persist.

If you have managed to live your life without superstition, congratulations. A life of reason is better for us as individuals and as members of society than one spent in service to ghosts and magical thinking.

But if you are one of those who feel an anxious pang when you realize it is Friday the 13th, your reaction is not at all surprising. There are many forces conspiring to make you anxious, and they are likely to exist as long as we do.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Stuart Vyse.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Jesus • Superstition

1. air jordan max shoes

I have been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or weblog posts on this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site. Reading this info So i'm satisfied to express that I've an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I so much without a doubt will make sure to do not put out of your mind this site and provides it a glance regularly.

July 17, 2012 at 2:53 am |
  2. More hints

I do believe all the ideas you have offered for your post. They are very convincing and can certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very short for starters. May you please extend them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

July 16, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
  3. tallulah13

This is some seriously entertaining auto-spam.

July 15, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I know! It reminds of the directions you get in the box when you buy electronic equipment that was made overseas.

July 15, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • tallulah13

I bought something the other day that had instructions told me to dry the item by "shining in sunshine" when "it absorb damp in wet weather."

You've gotta love it.

July 15, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
  4. Unforeseen Activities You May Actually Do Together with holidays to greece

Hi there, You have done a fantastic job. I'll definitely digg it and individually recommend to my friends. I'm sure they'll be benefited from this website.

July 15, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  5. cats lover,cute cats,kittens lover,pet lover,pets

Excellent publish, very informative. I wonder why the other specialists of this sector don't realize this. You should proceed your writing. I'm sure, you have a huge readers' base already!|What's Going down i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely useful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & aid other users like its helped me. Good job.

July 15, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  6. chocolate lover,chocolate recipe,hershy recipe

My brother suggested I may like this web site. He was totally right. This post actually made my day. You can not believe just how much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

July 15, 2012 at 7:43 am |
  7. how to build a fence l deck l patio l DIY home repairs l projects l home improvements l home improvement tips ideas

I beloved up to you will obtain performed right here. The comic strip is attractive, your authored material stylish. nevertheless, you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish be delivering the following. ill indubitably come further until now once more as precisely the same nearly very ceaselessly inside case you protect this increase.

July 15, 2012 at 3:16 am |
  8. quick diet

A person necessarily help to make seriously articles I'd state. This is the very first time I frequented your web page and thus far? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this actual submit amazing. Wonderful job!

July 14, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
  9. Full Report

You understand thus significantly when it comes to this subject, produced me personally consider it from a lot of various angles. Its like men and women aren't fascinated unless it is one thing to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your own stuffs outstanding. Always care for it up!

July 14, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
  10. wuasabi

We are a group of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with useful info to paintings on. You have done an impressive process and our entire neighborhood will likely be thankful to you.

July 14, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
  11. invest in silver l invest in gold l how to invest in gold and silver l learn how to better invest your money

Undeniably consider that which you stated. Your favorite justification appeared to be at the web the easiest thing to remember of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed even as other folks think about concerns that they plainly don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest as well as outlined out the whole thing without having side effect , folks can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

July 14, 2012 at 10:08 am |
  12. Baphomet

Was unlucky for the Knights Templar

July 14, 2012 at 9:02 am |
    • Steve

Seems odd this wasn't included in the "all time" MOST important dates.

July 14, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
  13. descargar musica gratis

Hi there, You've done a fantastic job. I'll definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they'll be benefited from this site.

July 14, 2012 at 7:50 am |
  14. iphone app development l app development made easy l app development l develop apps for the iphone l iphone apps l easy app development

I beloved up to you'll obtain carried out right here. The comic strip is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nevertheless, you command get got an edginess over that you wish be handing over the following. sick for sure come more previously again since precisely the same just about a lot ceaselessly within case you defend this increase.

July 14, 2012 at 5:44 am |
  15. phan mem diet virus

hi!,I love your writing so much! proportion we keep up a correspondence more approximately your post on AOL? I need an expert on this house to resolve my problem. Maybe that is you! Looking forward to see you.

July 13, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
  16. SmarterThanWriter

A definitive source for why we fear Friday the 13th. Sigh. Another journalism failure.

July 13, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
  17. opencart 教程 模板 插件 支付宝

You are actually a just right webmaster. The website loading pace is incredible. It sort of feels that you are doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a great process in this subject!

July 13, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
  18. mike

In fact, there are 3 Fiday the 13th's this year, not just 1. Did the Pope actually order the slaying of the Templar Knights on Friday 13th or not?

July 13, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@mike,

did you notice that this article is a retread from May 2011? The author is not referring to 2012.

July 13, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@mike,

No, the Pope did not order the slaying of the Templars.

The King of France ordered them to be rounded up.

July 13, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
  19. arcanumgal

Our daughter left her abusive husband on July 13th which was a Friday. She said it was the luckiest day in her life.

July 13, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
  20. sports fans l sport fan l the ultimate sports fan l best priced jerseys l fan store l jerseys l team sports l ultimate sports l team merchandise l fan page

Excellent points altogether, you just received a new reader. What might you recommend about your publish that you simply made some days ago? Any positive?

July 13, 2012 at 6:59 pm |